Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I'm also getting just a black screen like loads of other AMD GPU users. anyone found a fix for this yet?

No fix so far. For now you can either switch to Nvidia or stay with AMD but turn off rift support and switch to modded stereo view. An earlier post of mine in this thread describes how I did it. My previous post also included configuring a Hydra for 6dof, but it's not strictly necessary. Unfortunately without some form of translation tracking you'll find, as others have, that not being able to lean forward to see instruments makes the cockpit much more difficult to use. If you want to try head tracking on a zero budget try opentrack, it has facetracking as well as webcam/IR tracking capability though at lower update rates. I'd caution anyone not using translational tracking and trying out rift with DCS to be prepared for disappointment. It may even be prudent to not try it if you are easily discouraged, at least until DK2 or CV1. One of the concerns many in the VR community are cautious at this point is that while the HW and all VR SW are in it's infancy, unmet expectations could sour many in the public and press.

Edited by rabidmanatee

Just started learning to fly the HUEY and loving it in the RIFT. Awesome.

Did engine start and flew around a bunch. Inspired me. Going to attempt weapons training tonight with rift. Super cool. Might even take me out of the P-51 for a while. The SU-33 carrier landing took me away from ground pounding the P-51 for several days. Also super cool.

Thanks,

-michael

This is also something I noticed with DCS + rift use. Because of the limited resolving distance in the headset, that sphere of practical flying airspace is much smaller than on a typical monitor. This means that the faster you fly the smaller the time scales that are available to perceive and react/enjoy the visual display. For me the slow flying aircraft tend to work better as more time is available for flying. This speed really is relative movement, so slow ground speed or high speed formation flying are roughly equivalent. My preference so far is P51 flying among other slow flying AC.

My kid liked this emote :pilotfly:

This is also something I noticed with DCS + rift use. Because of the limited resolving distance in the headset, that sphere of practical flying airspace is much smaller than on a typical monitor. This means that the faster you fly the smaller the time scales that are available to perceive and react/enjoy the visual display. For me the slow flying aircraft tend to work better as more time is available for flying. This speed really is relative movement, so slow ground speed or high speed formation flying are roughly equivalent. My preference so far is P51 flying among other slow flying AC.

My kid liked this emote :pilotfly:

Huge thanks for the update in compatibility. I was thinking of upgrading to an NVidia GTX +770 when the new Rifts come out in hopefully a couple weeks. Mainly to maintain hackintosh compatibility with a more modern GPU. DCS compatibility would be a nice perk, but definitely NOT why I would be upgrading.

Thanks again.

I am expecting the DevKit 2 in July, but how do I set it up to use DCS? There are far to many pages here to try and figure this out. Could someone tell me what to do to get it to work in DCS?

I used to have DevKit 1, but found it to be nothing more then a horrible blur in other games. Has anyone tried Devkit 2 with this to see if it's still just a blurry mess? I won't know till I get mine. Thanks!

Its disappointing to see so little regarding the DCS and its implementation of the DK2 at E3, or even much from Wags other than a few pics of a guy wearing the DK2. Hopefully Wags now has a better understanding of what type of system, game settings are required for a good VR experience with the DK2, and will post his findings before the DK2 release in July.

Oculus VR hired the designers of Kinect and Xbox 360 controllers.................

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

So everyone saying zoom is not working when using the built in Rift mode (and not the stereo hack):

Are you saying we cant use a zoom button such as the mouse wheel to zoom and that physically leaning forward / back using the rift's motion tracking is whats non-functional OR did they disable the zoom function via controllers such as the mouse wheel entirely for some odd reason?

@Madd,

do what I did take the Huey land on a towerblock then as you take off look down past the building first time I did it I wasn't expecting it and I nearly shit myself the drop away was so lifelike felt like I was falling off a building, I really love the rift but it does need a much better screen.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

So everyone saying zoom is not working when using the built in Rift mode (and not the stereo hack):

Are you saying we cant use a zoom button such as the mouse wheel to zoom and that physically leaning forward / back using the rift's motion tracking is whats non-functional OR did they disable the zoom function via controllers such as the mouse wheel entirely for some odd reason?

Where in the options can you enable Rife mode? I don't see it anywhere in the DCS options, or am I missing something?

Thanks for sharing SD. It is a damned shame DCSW was not mentioned, but I really do believe it will get it's moment in the sun. I'm just hoping the big gaming sites/magazine will look back and say "how the hell did we miss this??"

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Thanks for sharing SD. It is a damned shame DCSW was not mentioned, but I really do believe it will get it's moment in the sun. I'm just hoping the big gaming sites/magazine will look back and say "how the hell did we miss this??"

I guess it's pretty easy when there wasn't anything going from ED's side.

pretty sure there are other conventions/shows before Oculus Rift's Consumer Version release date.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Guys, a quick question...

I ordered the DK2 and im very excited. I'm running on XFX 7970 black edition.

I read that DK1 only runs fine with Nvidia cards... Has someone an idea if this still could be a problem for me and I should buy an Nvidia card instead of my 7970? Or are any there rumours that this will be no problem?

Thanks!

Guys, a quick question...

I ordered the DK2 and im very excited. I'm running on XFX 7970 black edition.

I read that DK1 only runs fine with Nvidia cards... Has someone an idea if this still could be a problem for me and I should buy an Nvidia card instead of my 7970? Or are any there rumours that this will be no problem?

Thanks!

There is definitely a problem with DCS and DK1 with AMD cards even tho ED has not acknowledged this. If you own a high end AMD card I definitely would NOT buy another card just to play DCS until they figure it out.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Interesting thread

For anybody who never tried OR - The screenshot mentioned above is fake (monitor screenshot) and has nothing to do with rift or reality.

That's what it really looks like via rift (via the eyepice the image is bit more blurred so you can't see the jaggies so sharp) -> ksu53OU.jpgksu53OUksu53OU

Edited by zahry

I assume the screenshot is representative of the low resolution DK1, and doesn't represent the higher resolution DK2. It will be interesting to see how it looks with the DK2, next month, which still won't represent the even higher resolution of the CV1. I can't see the ability to see gauges being a problem with the consumer version.

For anybody who never tried OR - The screenshot mentioned above is fake (monitor screenshot) and has nothing to do with rift or reality.

That's what it really looks like via rift (via the eyepice the image is bit more blurred so you can't see the jaggies so sharp) -> ksu53OU.jpgksu53OUksu53OU

OR's horisontal FOV is 90 degrees, and if you want to have a realistic perception of in-cockpit dimensions, your in-game FOV should be close to that.

This screenshot doesn't look like 90 degree FOV, more like a zoomed view. You'll have to lean forward to see HUD like that or play zoomed in constantly.

---

However this screenshot does seem to be made very close to HUD, that would explain why it's so big.

Edited by Maximus_G

I assume the screenshot is representative of the low resolution DK1, and doesn't represent the higher resolution DK2. It will be interesting to see how it looks with the DK2, next month, which still won't represent the even higher resolution of the CV1. I can't see the ability to see gauges being a problem with the consumer version.

That's actually upscaled image to CV1

this is image from DK1 how you see it vR0hoiX.jpg

OR's horisontal FOV is 90 degrees, and if you want to have a realistic perception of in-cockpit dimensions, your in-game FOV should be close to that.

This screenshot doesn't look like 90 degree FOV, more like a zoomed view. You'll have to lean forward to see HUD like that or play zoomed in constantly.

that's correct - it is a crop I don't think anybody has at home monitor that covers 90º FoV- the crop is correctly stretched and it is similar (actually better) than to what you see in the eyepice.

Don't forget rift is stretching the image actos 90º/100º of your FoV and and the image resolution and the image you see has only 860 x 960 pixels for DK2 ((1920/2) *0.8 ).

Imagine having 9 monitors around you (arranged 3x3) with each monitor set to resolution 286 x 320 - and that's your DK2 rift image quality