Ver 1.2.3 News

Quirkitized

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no shared codebase defined as AFM, if I understand correctly. Each AFM is unique, - i.e. A-10C has its' own AFM, GBU-12 - its' own, etc. Su-25 AFM is kind of dated, since it has been introduced in 2005 with FC1, IIRC.

Correct.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

So the term 'advanced' is being applied much like 'new & improved' is used on many commercial products. Now I understand. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So the term 'advanced' is being applied much like 'new & improved' is used on many commercial products. Now I understand. ;)

No. The mathematical approach to creating AFMs is probably somewhat similar, however due to the differences in airframes, the resulting code is completely different. The approach however is much more sophisticated than for SFM. The distinction being made is not people trying to sell you snake oil.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

The approach however is much more sophisticated than for SFM.

If the 2005 AFM is not at the same level of 'sophistication' as the 2010 AFM used in the A-10C then the term 'advanced' is merely a generalization that does not equate to any specific level of accuracy aside from 'greater than SFM'.

I seem to recall one of the third-parties mentioning and EAFM, or something like that, as something even better thus adding to the overall sense of vagueness about the term.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

If the 2005 AFM is not at the same level of 'sophistication' as the 2010 AFM used in the A-10C then the term 'advanced' is merely a generalization that does not equate to any specific level of accuracy aside from 'greater than SFM'.

It does not stand for a level of accuracy, it stands for the approach to obtaining a flight model, like the application of finite element analysis. Apart from that i'm not sure what they really do for the AFM, however the difference in post stall flight behaviour is quite noticeable when going from SFM to AFM and that goes for all generations of AFM.

I seem to recall one of the third-parties mentioning and EAFM, or something like that, as something even better thus adding to the overall sense of vagueness about the term.

EFM stands for external, it means that 3rd parties can plug in their own flight model, that by its own is no indicator of quality or sophistication, though.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

This is why I argued about the use of EFM. It only states its external FM, not if it is simple or advanced...

EAFM and ESFM is a better abbreviation imho.

An exact definition of AFM would be nice though.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

This is why I argued about the use of EFM. It only states its external FM, not if it is simple or advanced...

EAFM and ESFM is a better abbreviation imho.

An exact definition of AFM would be nice though.

The EFM is just what the developer makes of it. If a developer decides to use a different name (i.e. EAFM/ESFM) it's up to them I suppose.

The EFM is just what the developer makes of it.

Apparently, so is AFM. To use Sobek's example, the application of Finite Element Modeling does automatically provide a more accurate result.

Edited by cichlidfan

SFM = Standard Flight Model, Most Aerodynamics are modeled, but controller and stall behavior amongst other things are the same.

AFM = Advanded Flight Model, Used by ED, Aerodynamics, Controller Input systems & Logic, weight shift, Engine Data., everything is programed used realistic numbers from Wind tunnels and test data etc.

EFM = External Flight Model, Used by 3rd parties, Developed and compiled using EDs Plugin, can vary in fidelity, depends on 3rd parties available data on aerodynamics, and control surface systems etc.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

This waiting for 1.2.3 is alike to Samsung release of Jelly Bean Android for SGS II users. It's been said November, then December. Then January, February, now March.

This 1.2.3 takes a bit long to release, indeed - hope it won't be March, same as Samsung :P

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Im still waiting for DisplayPORT 2.0 MST Hubs.... since 2010.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

This waiting for 1.2.3 is alike to Samsung release of Jelly Bean Android for SGS II users. It's been said November, then December. Then January, February, now March.

This 1.2.3 takes a bit long to release, indeed - hope it won't be March, same as Samsung :P

How can it be March? I thought it was finished... :(

Windows 10 64bit

Intel i7 9700K

Corsair H80i v2 Hydro Cooler

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra

32GB RAM

ASUS Z390 Maximus XI

Samsung 970 EVO 1tb NVMe Solid State Drive

EVGA Gold 1000w

HTC Vive Pro VR

Are we there yet?!?!

Going into another weekend and all is quiet again except for us that continue to stir up the folks that will say "Be patient, It will be ready when it's ready"(printing t-shirts for this btw), or "Take your time ED we can wait". :music_whistling: I have the BS2 to get the hang of anyways so I will use my time for that and wait until it is done. :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I believe people people mis-read WAGs, Post, or didnt read into the tone of it.

A. The Testing Occured.

B. he stated that the turnout wasnt what they hoped,

C. making another installer

conclusion? they prepped the installer, but they are prolly gonna do another try at testing more this weekend before it's released.

I believe people people mis-read WAGs, Post, or didnt read into the tone of it.

A. The Testing Occured.

B. he stated that the turnout wasnt what they hoped,

C. making another installer

conclusion? they prepped the installer, but they are prolly gonna do another try at testing more this weekend before it's released.

That's not at all what it sounded like to most people. He said they are making a new release installer to release "soon". Everybody here took that to mean that testing was done and release is imminent. If that was not the case, you'd think WAGS himself would have corrected us at some point during the week... :music_whistling:

Windows 10 64bit

Intel i7 9700K

32GB RAM

ASUS Z390 Maximus XI

EVGA Gold 1000w

HTC Vive Pro VR

Would you have corrected everyone if you were in that position? or would you have watched the carnage and laughed.

In the real world "Soon" means within a few hours, a day or two at most.

In the software world "soon" means, withing a few days, a week or two, and anytime after that.

Edited by SkateZilla

This was part of post on Monday...

Today we are building a new release installer for 1.2.3 that we hope to release soon.

I guess you can interpret this in a few ways. I took it that there was more testing of the installer (to be done during the course of the week maybe?) and possibly releasing during weekend if not before. I do see what Skates is saying though. The weekend is likely to get most of the testers together to really put a thorough test on the latest installer. As I said earlier in the week we are still not out of the woods so I am sitting back waiting for the magic show.

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

if testing goes well, then the installer is already done and ready to go...

But there is always Fighter OPS.

Christ... If MP is still a crashfest, they should just push the MP testing and fixing to 1.2.4 and release 1.2.3 as is, beause this is getting ridiculous...

Windows 10 64bit

Intel i7 9700K

32GB RAM

ASUS Z390 Maximus XI

EVGA Gold 1000w

HTC Vive Pro VR