Aircraft Visibility

Dejjvid

Aircraft Visibility  

428 members have voted

1. 1. Aircraft Visibility

• Increase dot size.
    • It's perfect the way it is.
    • Increase far dot size and add a metal glare.

I'm talking about the feature BMS have. When enabled, it scale units so you can spot them more easily. This is to compensate for the fact that you are viewing a 3d enviroment on a 2d screen.

imho, it's way too hard to find AIR opponents as it is now, and the player with the lowest resolution has the advantage.

Is a similar feature planned for DCS world?

EDIT: I'm only suggesting Smart Scaling for air units

Edited by Dejjvid
  • Like 1

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practice practice practice. And patience.

A methodical and logical approach to searching for your targets is the best way to find them.

My method:

1. Approach the target area

2. At around 7nm from target area, put the area on your 90 and start a very gradual clockwise turn. Engage altitude hold autopilot.

3. Use TGP to scan for targets in the expect area. Be careful not to wander into threats.

4. Rinse, repeat.

More resolution is better, found that out fighting the P-51 AI in 1366x768 then 1920x1280.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Binding the zoom controls to something easy to use, especially if you have a HOTAS, is really helpful as well.

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

I'm talking about the feature BMS have. When enabled, it scale units so you can spot them more easily. This is to compensate for the fact that you are viewing a 3d enviroment on a 2d screen.

imho, it's way too hard to find AIR opponents as it is now, and the player with the lowest resolution has the advantage.

Is a similar feature planned for DCS world?

EDIT: I'm only suggesting Smart Scaling for air units

BMS scaling is trash, and I hope it never gets imitated at DCS level.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

what everyone else said.

ORbit Target Area, Use TGP.

it's more of Distance -> Target Size -> Pixel Size.

As you Move away from an Set Point, 1 px on your screen goes from 1px =10 feet, to something like 1px = 1000 feet, and so on.

So once an object is far enough away, and becomes less than 1 px, it's no longer drawn, as the ground around the px is the dominate color, so that's teh color of the pixel on your screen.

As you get closer, all you see is a pixel representation then eventually as you get closer you start to see the actual shape.

larger objects have a farther view distance for this reason,

Infantry have a very sort view distance... because they quickly shrink to 1px or less because they are already small targets.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

what everyone else said.

I'm not talking about GROUND UNITS. I'm talking about AIR UNITS. As i posted, i rarely use the TGP at all. Because that is easy mode. So please, feel free to discuss air target spotting. Not ground...

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

Here is a simple comparison of 1920x1080 and my setup.

And I think that there is nothing wrong with the view/drawing distance of airborne targets as long you don't have a greater FOV than 100.

attachment.php?attachmentid=62807&stc=1&d=1329419875

(the mission file is attached - and simply press "ESC" at mission-start - because you start airborne 3feet over the ground)

attachment.php?attachmentid=62809&stc=1&d=1329419966

attachment.php?attachmentid=62808&stc=1&d=1329419966

Please excuse that I didn't switched off the 85% Jpg compression - so please keep in mind that it appears a little bit clearer when in the simulation as on these pictures.

So I have no problem to see airborne targets up to 12km against a clear sky and this is getting much better when the "dots" are moving.

And as a conclusion I want to underline that this is not a limitation of the software as some are suggesting - it is a limitation of the hardware we are using.

And I fully understand the wish to use labels when you have a 22" screen at 1920x1080 and don't want to fixate your FOV.

>>>http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1401597#post1401597

I've read your test before PeterP. It still doesn't change the fact it's a pain in the *ss to find airborne targets. If you know where to look its easy, in a combat situation you don't.

Smart scaling for aircrafts. Ground units are quite easy to find and we actually opt out the TGP most of the time because its easy mode.. ;)

What do you mean by "TGP is easy mode". Do you mean that the TGP is unrealistically implemented, that is to say it should properly belong to the game mode, not the sim mode? Why?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I think it is not challenging enough for him. Not unrealistic. I propose SEAD against an SA-15 with Mk5 unguided rockets. Should be challenging enough! :megalol:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Funny you brought this up because I am deep into bms right now and thought about smart scaling being added to dcs. Might be a cool feature to add, but like a lot of things in dcs, is it really worth devoting time and resources to ? I mean there are so many other fish to fry for ED.

intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz + Corsair H100 in push-pull / Asus Maximus V Formula mobo / 16Gb Gskill Ripjaw Z ddr3 1600 / evga 690 GTX 4gb / 1 TB WD caviar Black 7200 rpm sata HDD + 80GB Corsair F80 SSD + 2x Corsair 60Gb Force3 SSD / TM Warthog HOTAS-G940 Peddals / Corsair 1200 AX gold PSU / Windows 7 64 bit OS / 27" Qnix 2710 @ 2560 x 1440 120hz PLS Monitor & 23" acer touch screen with Helios/

I've read your test before PeterP. It still doesn't change the fact it's a pain in the *ss to find airborne targets. If you know where to look its easy, in a combat situation you don't.

You nailed it! - when you don't know where to look , it's very hard to see something that might interested you, no matter how big it is...

...just spend some time offset to the runway of a airfield (so you can't see the landing lights directed to you when the planes come in) and wear ear-protection.

And you will also have a hard time to spot them.

And now imagine doing it from above - so you don't see the almost shadowed belly against a much brighter sky , ...and take also into consideration that you have to spot them against ground-cutler while the plane is painted mate and has some sort of camouflage pattern at the top.

(one of the simplest example of a camo-pattern are the little darker edges of the wings on a gray F-15 painting. - this is done so the real shape of the plane gets 'blurred')

I bet RL pilots wish to have a "smart scaling" too.

My opinion:

Instead adding "smart scaling" we need something like this : Give AI some spotting delay

so we would have a more balanced battle against the AI.

or: never Fly without a AI wingmen - so you can rely on his spotting capabilities.

How much impact difference is there between a single 22'' 1680x1050 and a single 27'' 1920x1080?

Is it realy a huge difference too? If it is than this 22'' will be mothballed tomorrow morning.

not much .

But you will only gain your horizontal FOV.

To get a bigger-picture you need a greater vertical resolution and going from 1050 to 1080 wont help much.

Edited by PeterP

And I think that there is nothing wrong with the view/drawing distance of airborne targets as long you don't have a greater FOV than 100

Hmmm - So you mean if you play with the FOV equivalent of having one of those cones they attach to dogs to stop them licking themselves put over your head, or the blinkers they put on horses while doing crowd control, everything you can see will look OK ?

I agree - it's a limitation of the hardware, and in 15 years, when everyone has as standard 180 degrees of view at better resolution than any existing monitor, there'll be no reason for labels, and other mechanisms to compensate for the failings of hardware.

Until then the options are: zoom in and have a narrower than realistic FOV, but be able to see details, or zoom out and have a realistic FOV, but no details, or use some form of modified label, or use smart zooming.

I guess it all depends whether looking realistic is more important than having realistic FOV and detection ranges...

Cheers.

You can try this modification of "Labels.lua" Labels will now appear as black dots with no additional info.

AirFormat = {}
AirFormat[10] = ""
AirFormat[5000] = "}"
AirFormat[10000] = "}"
AirFormat[20000] = "]"
AirFormat[30000] = "'"
GroundFormat = {}
GroundFormat[5000] = "{"
GroundFormat[10000] = "~"
GroundFormat[20000] = "`"
NavyFormat = {}
NavyFormat[10000] = "{"
NavyFormat[20000] = "~"
NavyFormat[40000] = "`"
WeaponFormat = {}
WeaponFormat[5000] = "["
WeaponFormat[10000] = "|"
WeaponFormat[20000] = "|"
-- Colors in {red, green, blue} format, volume from 0 up to 255
ColorAliesSide = {0, 0, 0}
ColorEnemiesSide = {0, 0, 0}

Edited by Suchacz

Suchacz thanks for the tip. I don't wanna use that because it will ruin the immersion for me.

I just want a feature that compensate for the fact the 2D screen can't replicate a 3D environment. If I fly IRL I can easily spot objects in the sky from far away. In DCS the objects appear much smaller then they would in reality.

Smart scaling would increase the size of the objects when they are far away, and gradually adjust the size as they come closer. Within 1nm the object size is quite ok, but beyond that it's too small.

• 11 months later...

Increase spotting distance?

So I have two conflicting issues with my DCS setup that I could use some help with. One, being how to increase the distance at which vehicles are able to be seen by the player. I know I can do this by increasing the resolution, but here's the other issue: I'm running on a very weak system here, so in order to save frames I'm running at 1024x768 instead of my full 1600x900. But like I said this decreases the distance I see units at. In this 1024 resolution it's hard to see units until I'm about a mile out, at full zoom. This is obviously a huge problem. Can I get some help here, or am I screwed?

Edited by Serp Supreme

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now

Currently have Nvidia GeForce GT630M. Relatively low end as far as I know. It's low enough to make resolution have a hit at least.

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now