1.2.4 Released!

Sounds files are not small.

Many languages -> many sound files -> Many large files.

OK, I understand, but why do we have to download something we do not need? That's just useless wasting of disk-space and download pipe.

These "all-in-one" mega-packages are step away from modular software where one picks just what he needs. What if you translate it later in 100 languages? Should we prepare for it and buy a few TB drives and a few T1-lines in advance?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... i dare say... turn off active/realtime virus protection services while you install. all it takes is one suspicious line of code, a suspicious action by the installer, for the RTP Programs to start dumping files into the quarantine, deleting them, or simply denying them read/write access.

Also Run as ADMIN, and turn of UAC.

Firewalls will also cause problems when you download.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team
OK, I understand, but why do we have to download something we do not need? That's just useless wasting of disk-space and download pipe.

Autoupdater downloads only what is needed.

Ideally, the installer should download only what it needs automatically, like the updater.

And the updater should use torrents.

We'll do it. In time.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Guys, sorry for the message ...

BUT PLEASE PLAN FOR BIGGER SERVER NEXT TIME.

We don't ask for instantaneous download, but 5kb/s is just a big laugh. I know we are a small niche market - i know we aren't many - but when they is such an expected release, don't make it becoming a (sad) joke.

After 5hours fighting - download dead - DCS install corrupted - everything to DL again.

Sorry but i had to let the frustration get out.

Autoupdater downloads only what is needed.

Ideally, the installer should download only what it needs automatically, like the updater.

And the updater should use torrents.

We'll do it. In time.

I tried updater, but it was sooooo sloooooow. So I tried to download installer, pick "FTP Mirror #2 (Russia)", and now I have download speed ~1.1 MB/s (max what my 10mbit line can handle). So for me to download installer is much faster than in-game updater, or torrents...

OMG, reading through the whole thread make me laugh that I am working in my nightshift now, not be able to get screwed with those downloadissues...looks like I´ll keep waiting a few further days until the first wave of download desasters has passed by

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

kmeee... just sifted through my backup folder to see what should be put back of my "mods"... lots of the .lua files are redesigned... not to mention the failure to init the HD texture for the SU-25T... (it'll be endless threads of "how's this done, how's that done?", again...)

Love the new pits... will make one re-learn the SU-25A :thumbup:

All in all - a tweaker's heaven :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

"Manual" patching would require building installers for everything and then testing them in various configurations, leading to further delays. Basically, you'd still get it faster by letting the updater work until the load on the servers decreases.

I think you're exaggerating the difficulty of creating patch packages a bit, personally I would be just fine with updates from the next latest to the latest version, that way the testing of installers could be cut to a minimum.

The benefits for the customers should be obvious, but ED would also benefit directly by having less strain on their servers and indirectly by customers becoming more positive about updates when getting a smoother and faster update experience.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

... i dare say... turn off active/realtime virus protection services while you install. all it takes is one suspicious line of code, a suspicious action by the installer, for the RTP Programs to start dumping files into the quarantine, deleting them, or simply denying them read/write access.

Also Run as ADMIN, and turn of UAC.

Firewalls will also cause problems when you download.

Also, when you drive you should take off the seat belt as it can be in the way ;)

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Also, when you drive you should take off the seat belt as it can be in the way ;)

that is not a fair comparison... as when your installing DCS, you're not browsing the internet for papparazzi pix of Kate Upton.... and if you are you are doing so under you're own power, as is driving with your seat belt off.

Turning off RTP of Protection suites while you're idle on your desktop, and installing software that you know its origin is safe.

RTP and Virus Suites Exist to Protect from unknown software and scripts and otherwise known malicious software/scripts, and remove them or block them from installing.

You're not gonna get infected from installing DCSW/Updates, and you know it's origin, you can turn it off. (though if you download via torrent, you can scan the install files manually, once they are clean, close torrent app, turn off RTP and install.) If you do happen to get an infection during the install, that means you already had a root kit infection that has infected the Windows Installer Service.

and TBH, even with it on, you're still gonna get infected every once and a while if you dont practice safe browsing techniques, and system monitoring.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, depending on your AV Suite and some windows settings, your AV Suite will block some installers from completing when it tries to access or update windows components (i dunno.. for example.. like.. Microsoft Visual Studio and DirectX for starters...), Some AV Suites will flag the installer file for simply trying to register DLL files....

The Software settings/circumstances for an AVSuite to do anything like this is small, but alot of people here do meet the required circumstances, and have had this problem before with previous installs/updates.

Edit: Since i pointed this out the last time this was brought up

If you dont feel safe turning off your AV Suite/Firewall for a few minutes, ADD Eagle Dynamics' folder to the exception list.

but that's not gonna fix Firewalls or AV Suites corrupting the files in the download stage, it will also not stop any errors as a result of AV Suites blocking the registering of DLLs or updating of system component dlls (MS VS, DirectX etc), or stop the AV Suite from Flagging the install and halting it/finishing incomplete and causing further errors when you try to play.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

The problem is servers can be hacked files replace, It dont happen alot but you would be surprised by company's that dont notice for over a month that there software download was tampered with.

Easy fixed with hash checks but not all users will check them.

Edited by TimeKilla
spelling

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

The problem is servers can be hacked files replace, It dont happen alot but you would be surprised by company's that dont notice for over a month that there software download was tampered with.

Turning a Firewall on or off isnt gonna stop a virus infection that's embedded in a hacked file.

You can:

-Turn Firewall off to avoid packets being blocked, thus causing corrupt files.

-Once finished turn it back on.

-Run Virus Scanner on the install files.

-Once finished, disable RTP/Windows UAC if needed

-Install

-Once Finished, Restore RTP/Windows UAC

I've never had any major install problems with DCSW or A-10C, the only issues i had were DRM issues of my own making (Upgrading CPU without de-activating etc).

However, nearly half the time i tried to download the Installers from HTTP, they'd fail CRC Check when I checked them, so I'd just delete them and goto Torrent, as the CRC is built in.

Ping to ED's FTP is abysmal for me too, so it's a DNS/Routing/Distance issue on my end w/ my ISP or Region, so I dont bother with it, as it's beyond my fixing, and it's not really "broken".

Edited by SkateZilla

This is easily avoided by signing the files, but I'm not sure if DCS autoupdater has this feature.

why, oh why in the world I need to get lock on 1 to instal lock on 3 waste of space on my ssds... no thank you, its the only thing that keeps me off buying it.

INTEL CORE I7 6700K

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO

ASUS ROG GTX1080Ti Strix OC

16GB @ 4100 MHz |CORSAIR

Intel 730 SSD 240GB

Corsair 850 W Modular PSU

Corsair Obsidian 650d

Logitech X-56 HOTAS ,Saitek X-65F HOTAS, Pro Ruder Pedals, Pro Flight Instrument Panel

NP TrackIr 5 Pro

Windows 10 PRO

why, oh why in the world I need to get lock on 1 to instal lock on 3 waste of space on my ssds... no thank you, its the only thing that keeps me off buying it.

Because, ED has no choice in the matter. Unless Ubisoft goes out of business, it will not change.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Because Ubisoft have the licence to Lock On, but ED have the engine. Ubisoft stipulated the requirement that anything based on Lock On be treated as an add-on to the original game. In this instance, any beef shouldn't be with ED, but with UBI.

just to confirm my suspicions (By modelview):

- Cockpit A-10A FC-3 (almost fully animated)

- Cockpit Su-27 FC-3 (almost fully animated)

- Cockpit Su-25 FC-3 (partially animated)

It would not be strange to hear to medium / long term, a DCS: A-10A / Su-27 / Su-15 module.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Get errors when updating in SP startup. I'm using an older install. Do i need to redl everything an install everything from these recent dl's or is it possably somthing else causing the update to fail. Installed DCS World,A10c,BS2,CA(from flash drive). Than run DCS World Single Player to allow update to run an I get error message somthing to effect that no path is found.

From this thread..

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104937

Edited by Call911

Updater says my update is 1.3mb..... <shrug>.....

edit: nevermind, 1.3GB now...

24 kb sec, with a lil spike to 200kb sec