Thinking of buying this but is it really hard to learn?

Dudester22

PS: Mind if I steal your idea for the keyboard layout? I love that, and it would help me so much since I have a spare keyboard! :D

I saw the idea somewhere else and boy does it help. All you will need is a cheap glue gun, the type of card that is used for the backing of pictures. You know, the ones that go in picture frames. Some print paper with a sticky back and a little time. Use Photoshop to make your keys, print it all out and stick it on the card. Then just use clear tape to stick over the front so the keys don't wear and cut them out. Glue them to the keys on the keyboard with glue gun and your good to go. I haven't finished with the keyboard yet, but I have plenty of room to make more keys :D.

BTW: Make sure you get the size right in Photoshop for your keyboard key. Then you can just copy and paste that key any amount of times to edit it into another key and colour.

Edited by Dudester22

I have FC3 and I was thinking of purchasing A10C. My only problem with this is that this sim looks so damn hard compared to FC3. So my question before I Purchase it is this, is it really that hard to learn this sim and to all those who fly it - Just how long did it take you to learn most of it and what did you start to learn first and then finish with?

The A-10C is quite simple to learn to fly and is not that complicated to operate. It takes just a one button to switch to A/G mode and that one button cycles CCIP, CCRP, NAV and if you hold it down A/A with side winders. To land is just like FC3 G for gear and the flaps switch. To employ the weapons with the targeting pod is easy so you should have no problems. Ramp starting is where you will take a while to learn but all you need for that is either the short cut key or a check list.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

I agree that having a HOTAS is almost essential for being able to learn the sim with a realistic degree of difficulty. A real pilot has one. I got into A-10 with no modern flight sim experience at all, just RoF. But I did have a CH HOTAS setup. I was able to learn it all in about 3 weeks.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Keep in mind the A-10C, Black Shark, P-51D, UH-1H and all future DCS level planes have a clickable cockpit. For me remembering weird key presses in FC2/3 was more challenging, than learning the A-10C. You simply learn to "click" switches and buttons you see. Together with EAC (autopilot) and snapviews, you can easily learn this... not that there isn't a lot to learn, but the switchology is not the real challenge.:thumbup:

I agree. I think FC3 is harder to learn than A-10.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I have FC3 and I was thinking of purchasing A10C. My only problem with this is that this sim looks so damn hard compared to FC3. So my question before I Purchase it is this, is it really that hard to learn this sim and to all those who fly it - Just how long did it take you to learn most of it and what did you start to learn first and then finish with?

If you want to LEARN what it's like to get in and fly a real A-10c then this is the SIM (it's not a game). If you just want to get in a blow stuff up then fly the A-10a in FC3. This SIM will take weeks, months, even years to learn and fly and master. If you like learning about military aircraft then this is one not to pass up. Heck it's THE ONE to get period.

Also note you will need a good set of controls to do it right also, so if you're not dedicated you should pass.

I think the main problem for me is learning all the keyboard commands like in FC3. I have to say this drove me that nuts I ended up making a keyboard mod using photoshop and hard card. (I have enclosed a pic of my creation below) It's not my best creations, but it sure does help with some stuff and when I need to press something really quickly. The hotas is out of the question for me at present, that is unless I wanted kicking out of the house and maybe crawl back in a few weeks. I have one final question before I decide to purchase this. Will I have to learn all these keyboard commands again, or does the fully clickable cockpit take care of this problem?

Hey that's a pretty nice overlay but a A-10c over lay will have virtually every key covered and many will also have shift an Control key combos and right shift+ key combo, Contol+Shift+ window key + key combo and...., will I think you get the picture. The nice thing is you don't have to know the keys as you can actually click the switch in the cockpit once you know the system and where it is as every switch and knob functions.

No hotas?? hmmmm Only one thing to do, get a hotas and a new wife! I think they have a Hotas wife bundle deal on Amazon this week!:smilewink: Sometimes you have to let them know who wears the Pilot pants.

Oh you'll want a TrackIR also so if you forget the new Wife you can get a TrackIR with the money you save!:pilotfly:

Don't forget as well, if you don't want to buy TrackIR (I didn't initially), you can use a normal webcam and FaceTrackNoIR or FreeTrack to get the feel of what head tracking is like.

But I'll tell you right away, I went out and bought a TrackIR nearly immediately because head tracking is so awesome.

Dudester22,

This the best sim arround and if you are into sims and like fc3 you can't miss it. When I bought this sim I had some doubts because in 2000 I bought EF2000 and I just couldn't get used to it. I tried to do bombing runs etc, but was always missing (there were no tutorials and no youtube lol)so I started flying in FSX and more recently simracing.

Last year I heard about DCS a-10c, so I decided to try it. With the tutorials(a little help from this forum and YouTube) I was doing bombing runs and launching mavericks in less than a week. Of course if you want to be proficient you need a lot of practice, but if you just want to have fun, you can do a bombing run successfully, in an easy mission, in a few days.

At first I used a joystick and a CH yoke :) I used the CH yoke to control the throttle and the hat button as slew. You can do the same (control the TMS, DMS, slew, etc) with a joypad, for example. Apd if you are going to use the keyboard, just configure these functions to a single key, without ALT or CTRL. Believe-me you can start having fun in no time, at least I did.

I never got into this sim very seriously so I don't know if it remains fun for who practices a lot.

Next week I will receive my new throttle (bought one with a small issue) and will try to take this sim more seriously.

Hope this helps you make a decision..

Edit: forgot to say that I used ipadpit to control a lot of systems with my iPad.

Edited by pringliano

Don't forget as well, if you don't want to buy TrackIR (I didn't initially), you can use a normal webcam and FaceTrackNoIR or FreeTrack to get the feel of what head tracking is like.

But I'll tell you right away, I went out and bought a TrackIR nearly immediately because head tracking is so awesome.

I tried FaceTrackNoIR and it "worked" and in some ways tracked better than TrackIR (which surprised me). But it would lose me like any tracking will if you move to extreme head positions and it would not pick me back up very easily and rarely in the same way. TrackIR picks back up almost immediately so I can turn around to talk to someone while I'm flying and not worry about having to pause the game when I turn back around to wait for the tracking to pick back up.

It is also a little easier to mess with and took less tweaking to get working the way I wanted it. I don't know how many hours I spent messing with curves in FaceTrackNoIR.

So yeah, having tried both I still recommend TrackIR if a person has the money.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Honestly, this game makes FC3 look like child's play. Once you experience DCS A-10, and learn the basics, you will wonder why pushing '2' in FC3 changed your radar mode to BVR...

....and you will never go back. So go a ahead and buy it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 2500k (OC 4.6 Liquid) / AsRock Z77Extreme / Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB OC / 16GB RAM / 250GB Crucial SSD / Win7 x64 / TrackIR 4 Pro (Wireless Mod) / Saitek X-45

Here is what I can tell you. This game is BY FAR the most reward game I have played in a very long time, perhaps ever. Yes it is difficult to learn, but when you start performing well in the title, you feel a real sense of accomplishment, not like other "flight sims" that are really just arcade games.

Branch Sustainability and Integration Officer

Militarygamers.com

A community for current and former US Service Members. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have come to realize I will never be able to do this right. Thats ok by me. Real AC 10 pilots spend a few years learning this. For me I just like seeing what it must be like.

Don't give up. I flew Falcon BMS for a year before DCS and I am just now getting good at BMS, so I caught on to DCS a bit more quickly but I am still a couple of months in and still need to master things like the TAD, A-A engagements, JTAC, etc.

It's a tough learning curve, but if you're an enthusiast and interested in learning it, it's well worth it. It's very rewarding being able to think "I did it!" and knowing that what you did has a similar complexity as to what a real pilot has to deal with.

It's true that real pilots spend years learning this stuff. But they also have to deal with G forces, and they can't pause to flip through a guide mid-flight. They also can't active pause like we can and sit in the air while figuring out how the heck to make your weapons work properly. So they need to be able to do whatever they need to do RIGHT NOW.

You may never do it "perfectly", but that doesn't matter, the intention of the game is to derive enjoyment from doing something niche and complex.

Have fun!

Eh Dudester-

Like many have already said DCS A-10C is something you hate for the same reason you love. It's SO freakin complicated but at the same time SO freakin complicated!

You've put the effort in before with FC3 and your keyboard layout- so clearly when you're engaged enough with something you don't mind putting the work in. As mentioned the Warthog HOTAS controls are expensive but DECIMATE the amount of time you need to spend learning keyboard commands and expansive joystick maps.

HOTAS + TIR5 = life changing.

But is it worth the massive investment in hardware? Are you getting an accurate perspective on what the sim is all about and what's in store for you?

There are many, many instant on missions out there where you fly around and kill stuff wholesale... there are also many missions that focus more on realistic tasks of the A-10c that come on a bit slower, usually result in a few key intense moments... then end with a comfortable landing back at base (to your surprise 3 hours after you took off).

I was reading WARTHOG, a book about A-10A participation in the Gulf War... In the book the pilot was explaining how suddenly in the middle of a storm he began experiencing system failures. IMMEDIATELY I recognized the issue he was having and muttered to myself "your pitot heat got switched off."

Sure enough, a couple paragraphs later he mentioned that his lunch bag had bounced around in the cockpit during the turbulence he was going through and knocked his pitot heat.

I only knew it because I'd forgotten that step in the cold startup procedure for a long time and had the same issues more times than I like to admit. That aspect of this sim alone helps keep my attention- not like I'll ever have a chance to do it for real... but the attention to detail is inspiring.

I took off for a mission I designed called the Killbox a few nights back... kind of a long flight in... the premiss was that an amphibious landing force had come ashore and stopped short of an objective because they didn't have enough fuel nor ammunition to follow through with an attack. Supply convoys were being assembled and released from the landing zone and these convoys needed to be intercepted and destroyed otherwise our defending troops would be decimated. Convoys are in various stages of transition when the A-10s (in cooperation with Hueys and KA50s) arrive on station. But it's a big area... and you're stuck up above 10k feet (SA9 IR missile threat exists), and it's dawn... so the lighting is JUST RIGHT to make it incredibly difficult to see with or without night vision.

We section off the killbox and focus on 1 area... I probably orbited that station for 30 minutes without seeing anything. I left light on fuel because I intended on tanking... so I had to leave my area to someone else while I went to the tanker.

I returned to station for another 20 minute fishing expedition... one of our other A-10s found a convoy, broadcast a SPI which the rest of us hooked and converged. It was awesome lining up the convoy on the TGP and seeing other A-10s doing gun runs on it... Flares were all over the place as guys were in various stages of attacking and egressing.

Once again out of fuel and weapons I turned back with another A-10 to go rearm at a nearby airfield. On approach I got spiked by AAA (Shilka) and then clubbed like a baby seal by an SA9.

Now we've got to go do that all over again... Tedious to some degree but at the same time the experience is an absolute thrill.

So if that sounds like something you'd like to take on... then it will be difficult but you will seldom go a day without learning something neat and amazing about the aircraft, its systems or its weapons.

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Buy it and watch videos from tigerpwrr, ExcessiveHeadspace and countless other great ones on youtube. As much as I dislike the A-10s I'm drawn to the stick and rudder with advanced avionics combo in the most god awful ugly looking thing, but load of fun to fly and kill shit in.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Everything feels so solid and well-defined and the manuals are well written. For this reason I actually find it easier to learn DCS aircraft than Flaming Cliffs. I just can't seem to get the hang of FC controls.

I must be wired bass-ackwards. For some reason, the complexity and detail makes more sense in my head than the slightly simplified system.

Everything feels so solid and well-defined and the manuals are well written. For this reason I actually find it easier to learn DCS aircraft than Flaming Cliffs. I just can't seem to get the hang of FC controls.

I must be wired bass-ackwards. For some reason, the complexity and detail makes more sense in my head than the slightly simplified system.

I totally agree. I find FC3 more difficult to understand because it is simplified.

Look ..... just buy it , it doesn't cost an arm and a leg . Price ofa few drinks ..... ang Im sure you will be delighted with it ..... if you don't know it , its rather difficult to push that message across in type , and the enthusiasm in kinda lost .

Do a nike on it ..... just do it !!!

Absolutely. A clickable cockpit means you don't have to lean 50 key combinations.

Its actually not that difficult ..... how quickly you remember stuff ..... your not going to learn this in a week ..... but will certainly be able to drop shit and have fun , the real hard stuff comes with time and experience of the sim itself . You learn something new , when you reach a point that you can do it properly you move on a notch ...... Im notchin every week , after a year ..... brilliant sim to buy ..... go , now :pilotfly:

Ah man, got this at beta an been at it ever since. And I'm still a noob at it. Probably the most rewarding, money spent on a video(game) sim I've ever purchased. I had 0 hrs in any sim an tooo was intimadated by the sheer complexity/realism of the A10 but the intimadation goes away over time. Totally worth the $ I've since than bought every module released from DCS an looking forward too more.

I don't fly the A-10 but I do fly another two high fed DCS Sims.

Buying the X52 Pro, HOTAS was one of the best things I did as no more do you need to take you're self out of the Sim and fumble around on a keyboard pressing two or three key combo's while in the heat of battle that really takes you out of the immersion no matter what anyone says.

Another plus point is there more accurate when sensing movements so it helps you get them small important movements right this comes into it's own when flying a helicopter or landing a fixed wing.

TrackIR5 on the other hand was a let down for me, I got both my HOTAS and IR on the same day TrackIR works great but for all it does and the limited number of games you can use it in the price is ridiculous.

I would advise if you don't have the money just use free-track or some open source software.

You're correct when you say you don't need all this stuff to play but once you get into Flight Simulations and am talking about DCS type Simulations then you're going to want to spend that extra money to get the most out of the experience.

Edited by TimeKilla
Typo's

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.