The June 14th Update Discussion Thread

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so the IG/EDGE will address the performance problems then?

DX11, New Shaders, New Engine... that isnt Single Threaded and approaching over 10 years old.. I think so.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

There will be less separation between landing aircraft.

For example: with the old "landing rate", only one aircraft would be able to land at an airport per minute, with the new landing rate, two aircraft would be able to land at an airport per minute. = higher landing rate

When there are both outbound and inbound flights for an airport, ATC will give priority to outbound flights.

ok, gotcha: more dense/frequent incoming-approaching aircrafts per time

sign-pic4.jpg

Just a guess, but right now you can't run a server without the graphics engine being started.

The step taken is probably to divide the basic engine from the rendering, thus creating a different thread which can be activated or deactivated. In simple terms: You can start the game without the GUI or 3D-World being rendered.

Ideal for a dedicated server.

This will most likely also improve the overall quality and performance.

Can't wait to see some first screenshots!

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

My understanding ( from C0ff's statements on the dedicated server thread) - The current 'sim' and IG are essentially the same thing - you can't run the sim sithout generating the images, so you need a minimum graphics capability on whatever you use as a server - counting out blade servers as dedicated servers etc.

If the IG and 'Sim' are separated, the sim can run on a machine with no graphics card - ie a dedicated server.

To me this would imply ( & this is purely my assumption ) that if the IG is seperated from the 'SIM' to allow a dedicated server, then it will be possible to run the 'sim' on one thread, and the 'IG' on another... which should in itself allow a performance improvement - but that's just my guess.

Re graphical improvements / larger map.

One of the stated (long ago :) ) reasons for developing EDGE (new IG) was that the current engine limits the number of objects that can be present in sim. That's why they said they dropped the Crimea as they moved into Georgia - they couldn't have both at the same time.

Improvements in processors might be incrementally increasing that number, but from early statments EDGE was intended to address this limit.

It would alos make sense that - if the problem with having collidable trees is that it causes performance problems for the single threaded combined ( sim/IG ) approach, that splitting off the IG from the SIM would allow more SIM related calculations in the SIM thread (using the overhead released by not aving the IG on the same thread) - which might make things like calculating tree collisions and AI line of sight more practical.

(snipped above in a much more concise way :) )

• Like 1

Cheers.

Soldier skeleton animations. What is it good for?

War? Oh, hold on...

• Like 1

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Tone71 'Relax'

Joey45

Is there a word between 'presumably' and 'possibly' ? :) -

It makes enough sense to me for me to be optimistic about it... & I guess multithreading (more multithreading - forgot they've already split sound off) must be in their road map...

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

Joey45

Is there a word between 'presumably' and 'possibly' ? :) -

It makes enough sense to me for me to be optimistic about it... & I guess multithreading (more multithreading - forgot they've already split sound off) must be in their road map...

Probably, but my hand > eye coronation hasn't been working for the past 2 days....;)

Probably won't improve over the weekend either. :music_whistling:

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

So they could make EDGE a true multicore game??

hopefully

One of the stated (long ago :) ) reasons for developing EDGE (new IG) was that the current engine limits the number of objects that can be present in sim. That's why they said they dropped the Crimea as they moved into Georgia - they couldn't have both at the same time.

^ i dont understand why they did not disassemble georgian and crimean maps to small (100 parts) pieces/sizes - it could be handle always only 1 small "sharp" piece (from currect large map) sorunded with another 8 small preloaded parts (not so detailed) - if the camera moves to another zone (to one of 8 parts) then program should reload another next 3 small parts from whole map corresponding to camera moving direction and make current zone more detailed as a sharp zone - and so on...the whole Earth could be handle with this way (in a DCSW mission) - georgia and crimea "together" and more !

so i dont think we need larger maps but we need more hundreds of smaller maps which could be connect to others - of course it needs preloading always but no scenery limit with this process

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

Great news, Matt! Thanks for sharing with us. Feels like there's a tremendous amount of momentum for DCS these days. Looking forward to the next 6-12 months and what additional surprises await.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

So they could make EDGE a true multicore game??

It seems to me, as if EDGE is just another module being redone and integrated into DCS. Just like sound was before and just like IG is apparently is going to be.

So step by step the old integrated engine is separated into different modules and -most likely- different threads. Very interesting IMHO.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

It seems to me, as if EDGE is just another module being redone and integrated into DCS. Just like sound was before and just like IG is apparently is going to be.

So step by step the old integrated engine is separated into different modules and -most likely- different threads. Very interesting IMHO.

EDGE is not JUST ANOTHER module.

I think you are talking semantics...

I'm not sure Feuerfalke was referring to EDGE as a DCS module, I think Feuerfalke was referring to a "modular" approach at updating the DCS engine as a whole. Updating DCS's engine piecemeal until the whole thing is completely overhauled and upgraded and running on separate threads/cores.

• Like 1

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

This forum is all about jumping into conclusions.

Remember how most of the communitu got fired up for DCS:F15 and DCS:Su27 and then they decided to say - it's FC level aircrafts, so we break the bond with LOMAC and give you something to play with until we raise them to DCS Level? Remember?!

I didn't see him saying "EDGE" anywhere. So didn't you rest. Stop making a fuss every time those people say something and stop creating the atmosphere where people expect mirracles. The truth is they need 5 more years to make this sim deserve grade 8 out of 10 on a technical field of interest. Now it's, really, just 7. Maybe 7.5.

No wonder people get sucked dry...when they're constructing and acting like we've all already bought 12 complete DCS modules. Promises, promises, promises... What happened to casual fix of smaller bugs easier to fix? Those that don't need making a miles of a new code? SEAD Missiles, Explosions,........ they need to be FIXED and not written from scratch.

FIX THAT FIRST so we can have something to play while you give us endless promises.

I care more about aircrafts... But nice of VEAO to share this video. Maybe we should put our nozzles down for Harrier? Really cool and very promising stuff. Thanks ED!!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

About the ATC, that's a good news ! awaiting to hear this :

"Hornet 1-1, Nalchik tower, Next time request clearance before landing"

=> Bam ! martial court !

About IG...

well... any news is always welcome. so thanks.

can we have pics now ? :D

ex : Oscar the skeleton walking in a desert ? ;)

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

My understanding ( from C0ff's statements on the dedicated server thread) - The current 'sim' and IG are essentially the same thing - you can't run the sim sithout generating the images, so you need a minimum graphics capability on whatever you use as a server - counting out blade servers as dedicated servers etc.

If the IG and 'Sim' are separated, the sim can run on a machine with no graphics card - ie a dedicated server.

To me this would imply ( & this is purely my assumption ) that if the IG is seperated from the 'SIM' to allow a dedicated server, then it will be possible to run the 'sim' on one thread, and the 'IG' on another... which should in itself allow a performance improvement - but that's just my guess.

Improvements in processors might be incrementally increasing that number, but from early statments EDGE was intended to address this limit.

It would alos make sense that - if the problem with having collidable trees is that it causes performance problems for the single threaded combined ( sim/IG ) approach, that splitting off the IG from the SIM would allow more SIM related calculations in the SIM thread (using the overhead released by not aving the IG on the same thread) - which might make things like calculating tree collisions and AI line of sight more practical.

(snipped above in a much more concise way :) )

If you're talking about threads, could this possibly mean that DCS will start taking advantage of quad core or higher systems? As I've read in a few posts, it is only using 2 cores at the moment - one for sound and one for everything else.

If you're talking about threads, could this possibly mean that DCS will start taking advantage of quad core or higher systems? As I've read in a few posts, it is only using 2 cores at the moment - one for sound and one for everything else.

I would expect that. If the sim logic and the grapics logic are better separated, I would at least expect that min. 3 cores would be utilized: 1 x sim logic, 1 x graphics stuff, 1 x sound.

Further on, I could imagine that it would be easier for ED in the future to let the sim logic make use of more threads, also. The simulation logic has to deal with many calculation of several entities, but these entities are rather independed of each other (i.e. air and ground units, projectiles, etc.). If these are not longer tied to the graphics logic where everything has to be synchronized "at once", perhaps a lot of the calculations of these "independend entities" could be parallelized by using several threads (and thus, better balancing the workload on the available cpu cores).

But on the other hand ... all I do here is to speculate ... ;P

What happened to casual fix of smaller bugs easier to fix? Those that don't need making a miles of a new code? SEAD Missiles, Explosions,........ they need to be FIXED and not written from scratch.

So none of these count as bug fixes to you ?

1.2.3 :

Fixed multiplayer data link for Russian aircraft.

Fixed Force Feedback joystick trim problems.

Tuned aircraft gun smoke.

Fixed Set Path to Column formation.

Fixed Georgian soldier animation.

Fixed long range radar break-lock for Russian aircraft.

AIM-120 and R-77 maximum load factor increased to 40g.

R-77 data adjust. Thrust, lift and drag.

AIM-120 data adjusted. Lift and drag.

AIM-9M maximum load factor increased to 35g.

AIM-9M thrust changed 12000 N.

Adjusted AIM-9P drag.

AIM-7M thrust and drag adjustments were made.

Increased load factor to R-27 family to 24g.

Increased R-27ER initial delay to 1.5 sec.

AIM-54 data adjustment. Thrust, drag, lift, initial delay of guidance.

R-33 data adjusted. Thrust, drag and lift, initial delay of guidance.

R-60 data adjusted.

R-73 data adjusted.

Multi-channel missile guidance is fixed.

Decreased the damage value of modern AA missiles warheads from directional to enhanced. Earlier AIM-120 and R-77 had a warheads with large multiplier factor termed "directional". These missiles were very lethal, more so than even an S-300. It was not realistic and we decided replace "directional" warhead with the less power "enhanced" warhead.

Number of simultaneously guided AIM-120s is 4 for F-15, F-16 and F-18.

Number of simultaneously guided AIM-54 is 4 for F-14.

Fixed AI planes unable to engage SA-8 with Anti-Radiation Missiles.

Fixed situation where AI sometimes launch AGM-65 Mavericks from too far away; AGM-65 would self-destructs before reaching target.

Added S-8TsM and S-8OFP2 rockets to inventory of MiG-29A/G/S and Su-33.

Renamed S-8KOM to S-8TsM in the one AFAC Su-25 payloads.

The F-15C and Su-27 will now use their RWR systems when the Mission Editor RADAR USING option is not applied.

Adjustments to the air combat maneuvering of all aircraft.

"Transmit Message" command parameters indication is now in the action list

Fixed infantry not moving when route is changed.

Fixed client crash in MP.

Fixed pilot models with K36 ejection seat.

Debris of a killed soldier has been removed.

Adjusted AWACS action time.

Fixed switch waypoint triggered action.

Changed setting of mission start time (day, month).

Default damage parameters tuned for old aircraft models.

Fixed Mission Editor error when trying to change aircraft country.

Fixed Mission Editor that pressing File\Create in the drop menu did nothing.

Aircraft will reset landing airdrome each time landing procedures is initiated.

Changed color of missile flame and smoke from blue to yellow.

"REACTION ON THREAT" option will now affect active ECM systems.

Problem with random uncontrollable rotation of the tower in some circumstances has been resolved.

Night vision staying switch to on after exit from the previous server has been fixed.

Incoming missiles warning messages has been corrected.

Helicopters will better maneuver against anti AAA when in the threat area.

Fixed scrollbar in debriefing.

Any hidden aircraft, helicopter, static object, and ships no longer break Fog of War.

Helicopters no longer sink when they takeoff from aircraft carrier.

Fixed some missions freezing every five seconds.

Fixed multiple problems in JTAC code.

Resource Manager message grammar adjusted.

Payload localization is now displayed.

A destroyed / burning aircraft burning can no longer auto lock other aircraft.

Fixed the AI formations after switching waypoints.

Wingmen will try to maintain absolute position in formation, they will maintain altitude when the leader turns.

HAWK SAM would not attack Su-25T if kh-25MPU attacks HAWK.

Fixed view problems for unarmed vehicles, infantry and fortifications.

Fixed crash changing wallpapers in Options dialog.

Fixed taking control of an AI aircraft that took off from the ground resulting in crashing into ground.

Corrected AI rolling during a dogfight.

DCS Modules

A-10C. A-10C TGP IR operation is fixed.

A-10C. Wingman will now engage target at Player's SPI if A.I. is not aware of/in range of the target.

FC3. SPO not reacting to launch of an I-HAWK or S300 is partially resolved.

FC3. Fixed F-15C ADI operation reversed.

FC3. Fixed A-10A ADI operation reversed.

FC3. F-15C/A-10A. Fixed autopilot not allowing refueling during tanker orbit.

FC3. Corrected and adjusted Russian A-10 campaign by Dzen.

FC3. Fixed some errors in F-15C campaign.

FC3. The MiG-29 HUD diamond on the target will now only appear when it is locked by radar.

FC3. Updated SEAD payloads and air defense deployments in some missions.

FC3. Missiles DLZ has been partially corrected.

FC3. Stations display on Su-27 and MiG-29 HUDs was made more realistic - just an 'underscore' is displayed if a weapon present, and station number is additionally displayed if weapon is ready to launch.

1) Fixed stations display on Russian HUD - only stations for currently selected weapon are displayed.

2) Implemented MiG-29S style of stations display on HUD.

FC3. Fixed the IRRAD mark for the Russian aircraft. This would overlap with range tape.

FC3 - Wingmen will now turn off radar when commanded to.

FC3. Fixed data link for clients in multiplayer - MiG-29S and Su-27/33.

FC3. Simulator hang after ALT J jumping into an Su-27.

FC3. Fixed Su-33 sinking to the Kuznetsov deck near the superstructure.

FC3. Fixed simulator hang after ALT J jumping into an Su-33.

Combined Arms. Instant fire on ammunition switching has been fixed.

Combined Arms. Switched the reverse gear after the vehicle has stopped.

Combined Arms: Transition to alarm state GREEN for ground units has been fixed.

Combined Arms. Unarmed vehicles will use their sensors when acting as a JTAC.

Combined Arms. Corrected weapon aiming range grid for Russian and NATO tanks.

Combined Arms. Fixed the properties of the 2A46M-125 AP shell.

Combined Arms. Edit textures ground unit HUD when in zoomed in view.

1.2.4 :

DCS World

• Some issues causing the network instability have been fixed.

• The missiles dynamic launch zone or fighters has been adjusted.

• The T-90 tank added in the Encyclopedia.

• Fixed some Mission Editor and GUI crashes.

• Il-76 damage model has been corrected.

• Tail numbers stencil shimmering for the Il-76 model is fixed.

• The standard Russian Air Force MiG-31 skin is fixed.

• In ME airfield info page now includes airfield ATC frequency.

• Fixed ME issue regarding statics.

• Mission debrief. Accounting of released weapons has been corrected.

• Rearming & Refueling Window. The chaff and flare fields can increase countermeasures amount.

• Resource Manager (RM) - Smoke generators being duplicated in RM airbase weapons window has been fixed.

• Resource Manager (RM) - Increased the maximum storage fuel limit to 5,000 tons for each airbase.

• AI A-10 will no longer shoot all Mavericks at a single target.

• Axis assignments will print to input .html file

• ME can't save file into mods folders has been fixed.

• Pilot skins added to the E-3A.

• The S-5 rocket warhead changed from HE to shaped-charge.

• Corrected valid firing azimuth for FSG "Molniya".

• New, more accurate, missile dynamics for the SA-19 Tunguska.

• Airfield marks are disappearing after pressing "Cancel" on "Coalitions" window has been fixed.

• Fixed when AI aircraft and vehicles set invisible = true, then set invisible = false, the ground AI vehicles still could not be detected.

• Fixed situation if player sets options to "pilot can control vehicle" and the mission doesn't have an aircraft, player can't control units.

• Fixed ME error when clicking a certain area in the track playback menu.

• F10 Radio item or add for coalition ALL has been removed.

• Fixed coalition helicopters unable to take off from aircraft carrier if "takeoff from ramp" condition is selected.

• Rearm and refuel menus have been removed. "Rearm & Refuel" command will now open Mission Resources Dialog.

• CG-60 Normandy will now attack Anti-Ship Missiles (ASM).

• Waypoint actions "Weapon hold" has been fixed.

• Helicopters sinking when they takeoff from an aircraft carrier has been fixed.

• Fixed S-300 launches not being shown in the de-brief.

• The COMM option status will now save in the mission.

• Fixed AI not always attacking targets during intercept task.

• Corrected ROE behavior issues.

• Fixed Tunguska tracking targets through buildings.

• Fixed server crashes, when one client fires an air-to-air missile and other client joins the game.

• Fixed F-16C Bl52d having old (Flanker) icon style on F10 view.

• Fixed incorrect aspect in record video in size 1280*720.

• ME. Some issues with copying, renaming and removing payloads has been fixed.

• Fixed helicopter AI ROE and threat reaction.

• Corrected air to Air ATGM delivery by AI Ka-50s.

• Fixed the inability to respawn if the aircraft flies into the ground.

• Fixed severe framerate drop when looking at destroyed civilian train.

• Fixed the OK button not working when a campaign is finished.

• Fixed crash when rocket collides with ground (fullscreen only).

• Adjusted framerate impact of smoke from burning aircraft.

• Fixed AWACS not performing stop task.

• Improved Sorbcija ECM pod model.

• Improved the ejection model for the A-10A/C and F-15C.

• Corrected scale of F-15C external fuel tanks.

• New skins for the Su-27 and Su-33.

• Improved sounds for several aircraft including the F-15C and Su-27.

DCS: A-10C Warthog

• LITENING TGP masking logic has been restored.

• Corrected MFCD start-up screen wrong color.

• Fixed AI wingman failing to engage target at Player SPI if AI is not aware/in range of target.

• Fixed LASTE Wind Edit data entry.

• Fixed Gun Minimum Range Cue Behavior.

• Fixed HUD Air speed indicator will TAS in GS mode.

• HSI course knob will now rotate the course pointer with or without power.

• Turn Rate Indicator has been calibrated.

• Fixed the CDU Wind Indication Direction being reversed.

• Several A-10 callsigns have been corrected.

DCS: P-51D Mustang

• Escort task added to the P-51D.

• Corrected incorrect fairing door animation.

• Fixed chassis damage after press RAlt+J on the ground.

• Fixed DXrenderer error in dsc.log with serial numbers and pilot textures.

• Fixed demo track 'takeoff-demo.trk'.

• Fixed error when in-game manual is selected.

• Fixed drop tanks of P-51D are not synchronized in Multiplayer.

Flaming Cliffs 3

• Added kneeboard input to flyable aircraft.

• MiG-29S TWS2 mode is now fixed.

• Added intro image to Su-33 "Sea Dragon" campaign.

• A-10A AOA Indexer now works.

• Corrected some minor issues with new 3D Su-27 model.

• Corrected wingmen maneuvers when turning.

• Fixed wingmen not turning off radar when commanded to do so.

• Fixed Su-27 campaign mission typos.

• Pilots models are now correct.

• Fixed F-15C Fuel Tank Pylon indication on MFD.

• Fixed tanker not filling external F-15C fuel tanks.

• Fixed Su-33 getting stuck near island on the Kuznetsov deck.

• Corrected MiG-29 HUD indications.

DCS: Combined Arms

• Replaced the old generic gun sight with a new one.

• Adjusted some generic HUD symbology.

• Fixed player controlled MLRS reloading troubles.

• Fixed units not resuming previous movement after player takes control.

• Fixed air defense units with HOLD FIRE ROE not going from ALARM STATE RED to ALARM STATE GREEN when commanded.

• Added option for Automatic Transmission in CA Special Options.

• Adjusted the drag factor of Russian AP tank shells.

• Fixed ability to set the Ready state of AI flights.

• Fixed ground unit control HUD compass missing from the wide displays.

• Fixed Alarm State Green for radars revealing radar targets.

• Adjusted M1A2 side armor.

• "F10" view. AI aircraft can now land based on ground force commander commands.

• Fixed night vision only being available off/on outside of binocular view.

• Fixed the Go To command.

• Fixed Chaparral issue of locking targets.

• Axis controls for ground units implemented.

DCS: Black Shark 2

• Corrected missing Ka-50 textures in the some missions.

• Fixed Ka-50 wingman calls "engaging enemy air defenses" while evading incoming missile.

• Fixed Ka-50 training missions showing in training section, as they are only available through the download link.

Cheers.

I have a slightly different vision and dream for DCS meself Zilla, flying Stealth Pigs with frikkin "Ion Cannonz" strapped to their snouts, capable of supercruise and speeds in excess of Mach 2. *sigh* Looks like 'the dream' is on hold, at least for the foreseeable future. :D

You should know that it is called an "IonicRipper"

:megalol:

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]