The June 14th Update Discussion Thread

Looking forward to the improvements ED. Not a fan of the Hawk...would be the first module I might skip.....but can't wait for the AFM Su27 and eagle. BTW....does the ATC improvements mean we can see civilian aircraft?

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are talking semantics...

I'm not sure Feuerfalke was referring to EDGE as a DCS module, I think Feuerfalke was referring to a "modular" approach at updating the DCS engine as a whole. Updating DCS's engine piecemeal until the whole thing is completely overhauled and upgraded and running on separate threads/cores.

Thank you.

That's exactly what I mean.

I'm using the term 'module' because this roadmap was given a long time ago. When Ka-50 was released and DCS was created, it was planned to change the whole Lock-On-backbone into a 'modular system'. This should to make the software easier to separate into different threads and easier to update and maintain.

So technically, the terms may indeed refer to the same technique, but of course neither EDGE nor IG won't be optional or buy-ware. Well, at least, I don't expect them to be.

I guess we just need a clearer terminology to differentiate between a module of DCS and an addon for DCS.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

If you're talking about threads, could this possibly mean that DCS will start taking advantage of quad core or higher systems? As I've read in a few posts, it is only using 2 cores at the moment - one for sound and one for everything else.

That's definitely the long-term-goal.

It must be for a complex simulation like DCS.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

What happened to casual fix of smaller bugs easier to fix? Those that don't need making a miles of a new code? SEAD Missiles, Explosions,........ they need to be FIXED and not written from scratch.

FIX THAT FIRST so we can have something to play while you give us endless promises.

Well, in fact you are jumping to conclusions, too:

The conclusion that these fixes are easy to do. :)

But if you think on a broader scheme, you might notice, that e.g. the explosions probably don't need a fix, if the rendering engine as a whole is upgraded. ;)

So they could make EDGE a true multicore game??

That would be soooo sweet!

DCS is without any doubts the best sim available on the market today, and it's a bit of shame to utilize slightly more than one core at time. Especially since this high-fidelity simulation is very resources-heavy.

Multicore support is surely not a magical cure for all DCS ailments, but it would certainly bring our beloved sim to 21st century, and fix many of the annoying bugs.

If it means no more slideshows on every artillery barrage, and no more transparent forests, I don't ask for anything else.

About ATC, please:

- Use same unit system as selected in "options" AND state the units in the ATC messages. Or default it to knots, hPa or inHg, celsius. And use the same standard in the ME.

- Use QNH instead of QFE for altimeter setting.

- Have an always active a comm menu line to request weather data to any ATC. METAR + active RWY would be ideal, but at least surface wind, QNH and active runway.

- Have the wind readings as FROM and not TO. And use the same standard in the ME.

- Maybe, prioritizing departures may help for mission dynamics, but IRL arrivals will normally have priority.

• Like 1

With the inprovment of the ATC will we have a better com with awacs? Does it mean that GCI becomes a reality?

Will all the pilots hear the radio chatter of the atc miles away from airfields?

That's a good update from Wags. ATC improvements sounds very good they should take the best out of Falcon 4 and FSXs ATC and add some of those features. I'd like a "declare an emergency" option on the radio for both Guard and ATc/AWACs freqs. Also for the ME a emergency response option so when the aircraft lands the fire trucks are there and if its a crash maybe even foam.:D

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

yeah, probably this coming now: :gun_sniper:client/playable soldiers :thumbsup:

Oh yeah - DCS: USMC anybody?

So the fix for the FC3 A10A? weapons ripple select?

FA15C Fuel tanks?

The Aim9 can kill a aircraft target on the ground, hit the ground 50 yards from it and get a kill hit credit? :thumbup:

The target circle in the FC3 A10A is high on the HUD, the A2A engagement seeker for the Aim9 on the A10A is unreliable, sometime lock the target at 900meters and sometimes only 200 meters.

CBU-97s still don't fall on target also, or kill infantry or light armor with out a direct hit.

:joystick:

so yea was wondering if this was fixed yet?

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

EDGE is the IG , Nevada is the first map to use the IG.....:book:

Interesting, good times ahead. hopefully sooner than later. i was wondering maybe this edge stuffs is actually years away.(im sure nevada is- lol) how the existing scenery works within will be interesting too. performance enhancements given the complexity of the newer stuff.? maybe i read that wrong.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Only thing I don't quite get: Soldier skeleton animations. What is it good for? I mean, as long as we have tanks and choppers that can see, fire, and even move through trees, AI units that have problems navigating trough urban areas, CBU's that bring even the best computers to their knees, and million other things, do we really need this type of eye-candy?

I know, it will be improvement for sure, especially for CA players, but I think it should be pretty low on ED's priority list. I'd rather have good simulated ground combat with ugly looking soldiers than vice-versa.

I'm pretty sure they have their reason for releasing certain things in the order they've been. I have a feeling that a lot of what we want fixed is better off implemented in EDGE all together rather than spending hours or months fixing or adding to an engine that will be replaced eventually. Who knows, it might just have worked out the way it is because of their bigger scheme of thing we aren't privy to. Something along the line of DCS FPS? It'll hopefully have the kind of success arma has but with crazy realism. They can't please everyone but this time their aim was directed right at people in my camp who've been wanting realistic infantry. :)

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

It was stated repeatedly that Nevada is as good as finished, awaiting completion of the IG.

Understood. It would be nice to know, but I'm sure there is a level of confidentiality to be maintained, of certain milestones that have been reached in the making of this awesome cornerstone to come. :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• ED Team

While I understand that some of you wish for more information about the new IG technology, my hands are quite tied on this subject. Much is still in flux and we want to avoid nonsensical claims about broken promises. As we get closer to rolling it out, I am sure we will have more details then.

Matt

While I understand that some of you wish for more information about the new IG technology, my hands are quite tied on this subject. Much is still in flux and we want to avoid nonsensical claims about broken promises. As we get closer to rolling it out, I am sure we will have more details then.

Matt

Understand Matt. It is what you say...a wish. We'll just hang on the best we can and continue on the edge...of our seats for the beloved DCS:Fridays.:smilewink:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals