Please fix the afterburner

Juancio

When going from max dry thrust to full afterburner the AF sometimes lights, sometimes doesn't and sometimes only one lights, causing uneven engine thrust. Having to yank the throttle lever back and forth in the middle of a dogfight to get the engines to full power is utterly exasperating.

Please have a look at this.

Thanks

• Like 1

Have You checked Your controler calibration ?

I don´t see this with my CH-Products Throttle Quadrant.

FinnJ

Yep, checked the controller already, everything is fine. I even tried using the keyboard to control engine power and the issue still persists. I noticed this only happens with the F5E, not with the rest of the modules.

make sure you dont have a cross linked axis (ie left throttle axis linked to another controllers axis).

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Are we sure it's not intended behaviour? Afterburner ignition failures are far from uncommon, and engines without digital control units can't resolve the issue automatically.

I mainly see them at when advancing into reheat from below mil power and at low airspeed and/or high altitude, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

When going from max dry thrust to full afterburner the AF sometimes lights, sometimes doesn't and sometimes only one lights, causing uneven engine thrust. Having to yank the throttle lever back and forth in the middle of a dogfight to get the engines to full power is utterly exasperating.

Please have a look at this.

Thanks

it is true. This happened with me. 6 times flying.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Devs asked for a track file of the problem and one was provided,

will see if I can re-produce tonight after work.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I don't know but I fly the Tiger now since release and didn't had a single AB Failure. It ignited every single time on both engines. I had a flameout once after a inverted loop but that was it.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

I think I've had one AB failure, and I was excited because I was like wow they modeled this too!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

I think I've had one AB failure, and I was excited because I was like wow they modeled this too!

Please don't hijack the thread. It's not an AB failure what I was reporting, it's a throttle response problem. I can make the AB work if I yank the lever around a little bit, but that's not how it's supposed to work.

Thanks

Don't see any hijacking here at all. Furthermore your first post said that AB fails to light. Now you are saying it's not an AB failure.......

However, when does this happen? Tried every combination of speed, AoA and G-load and didn't manage to experience a single AB fault.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear. What I'm experiencing it's not an AB system failure per se. The problem is related to the throttle response from full dry thrust to full afterburner. When I apply the necessary power needed to light the AB (from max dry thrust) during normal flight conditions (pulling no Gs, level flight, whatever), it doesn't go into full AB, but it sticks to max dry thrust (sorry for being redundant).

AB lights if I decrease power and proceed to reapply it fully, so as you can see, this is not a "AB system failure" but something else. It happens while flying the F5E only.

I see. Have you tried changing the throttle curve/deadzone?

^^^This!

I had this too, but after adjusting my MIL setting a little aft, the problem went away.

On a sidenote; it seems like the F-5 doesn't pick up input if they happen too fast.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

I see. Have you tried changing the throttle curve/deadzone?

I did try this but it didn't solve the problem. After some testing I noticed the throttle levers in the cockpit move when given joystick imput but the AB fails to light, even when those levers are at the MAX position, so this doesn't seem to be a curve setting problem. AB lights if I reapply power a couple of times. Something seems to be out of sync.

Thanks

Op didn't post control specs but I have noticed the same and I suspect this has to do with the TM Warthog throttle. Had trouble assigning the throttle axis in game due to physical dual linkage in the first place and DCS seems to recognize both throttles as the same axis and sometimes as seperate. So if it's not intented behavior it's more likely a hardware related issue...

YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/c/antimonni

PC SPECS: Win10 Home 64Bit, i5-2500K @4GHz, 32Gb DDR3, 6Gb Nvidia GeForce GTX980Ti, 2 SSDs+HDD

CONTROLS: TM Warthog HOTAS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / TM MFD Cougar x4 / TIR 5

MODULES: Almost everything!

• 1 year later...
Devs asked for a track file of the problem and one was provided,

will see if I can re-produce tonight after work.

Did they reply about this problem?

It is a bug?

Is this WAI? If WAI, how are we supposed to systematically get a good burner light?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are we sure it's not intended behaviour? Afterburner ignition failures are far from uncommon, and engines without digital control units can't resolve the issue automatically.

I mainly see them at when advancing into reheat from below mil power and at low airspeed and/or high altitude, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

This the answer everybody is ignoring. Treat the throttle gently. It's only a good habit :thumbup:

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

I'm pretty sure it's not a bug. I've experienced this, and if you look at your fuel flow gauges, the flow will go to AB levels, but the nozzle size will bump and then stay low. As far as I can tell it's the engines not lighting the afterburner, but the plane has no way to know this, so it continues to pour fuel into the engine. Like BadHabit said, slower throttle movements, and lots of rapid changes from mil to AB will cause your burners to not light. Be gentle!

"Fighter pilots have ice in their veins. They don't have emotions. They think, anticipate. They know that fear and other concerns cloud your mind from what's going on and what you should be involved in." -Buzz Aldrin

Being gentle on the throttle does not ensure proper lighting. I have suffered this both pulling G, at high AoA and at 1G on the runway going from stabilized MIL to minimum AB just after releasing brakes for takeoff.

I also think that it is not a bug per se and so I stated it in other thread long ago (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=172526). Anyway, Skatezilla said that the developers were contacted 16 months ago, and every time that I suffer this problem, I remember his post. Therefore I am interested in knowing the official response. Further speculation adds nothing that was not already said in this and other similar threads.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

I've been flying the Tiger II today and also noticed that habit. Nozzles stay at ~20%, FF goes up to ~ low AB level. This all happened *especially* when being gentle on the throttle (like sitting in a Me-262, remember those Jumo 004 engines catching fire in a well known WWII sim when advancing the throttle too fast below 6k RPM?). When I just firewalled them levers through the MIL-AB "detent" from ~100%+ RPM, they ignited practically every time...

This the answer everybody is ignoring. Treat the throttle gently. It's only a good habit thumbup.gif

I'm pretty sure it's not a bug. I've experienced this, and if you look at your fuel flow gauges, the flow will go to AB levels, but the nozzle size will bump and then stay low. As far as I can tell it's the engines not lighting the afterburner, but the plane has no way to know this, so it continues to pour fuel into the engine. Like BadHabit said, slower throttle movements, and lots of rapid changes from mil to AB will cause your burners to not light. Be gentle!

... but well, that was just one flight. I also remember that this already occured when the F-5E has been released and I thought it was a bug, but I had patience to wait for a fix. Looks like it's a feature, but there doesn't seem to be a 100% safe way how to do it reliably. IIRC it's no good idea to slam the throttle forward from lower regimes though.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 5 years later...