Flight Model feedback from ATAL

Mt5_Roie

So last Sunday the Polychop folks has two special guests on our Teamspeak channel. Both are in the ALAT (French Army Light Aviation) and both operate in he SA-342M. We met with them to discuss some of the weapons additions were doing and to get some information and feedback from them. They are a great bunch of guys, and spoke english very well. This meeting took place around 18:00 GMT.

So we got talking about the Flight Model because our goal is to make it as real as possible. We value all feedback on it, but we especially listen to those who are actually in the SA-342M when it flies and know what she's suppose to feel and behave like. Their feedback was that our Flight Model was incredible and real close to the real thing. While we love the praise we inquired to how to make her better. The only suggestion they had was to implement force feedback - which we are working on.

So whats the moral here? First, always plan a meeting on mothers day so you can avoid tons of chores your wife makes you and you kids do. Secondly, were very close to the real Flight Model and we'll keep working hard to make her better.

Edited by Mt5_Roie

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I struggle with that set up, I find it slow to lift off, but once off, it picks up speed very rapidly, my flight is a bit like 'Woodstock' the cartoon bird. Landings are 1 in 10, but determined to keep trying if that's what they use. A pilot said you only need a light touch, not so easy with the Warthog, IMHO.

I don't have a stick extension

Even with a 14" extension on my warthog stick I have difficulty not over controlling it. It's almost like there is too much lag between input and result. I will keep trying. I have no trouble at all with the others so it is a bit mystifying.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Very good to hear.

With practice (and slight curves; Pitch 8 and roll 7) I am finding the gazelle 2.0 to be a truly incredible experience weaving through the strip.

A hard machine to master... but once achieved it is an absolute dream to fly.

still die a lot.... just not so much.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Good to hear that the DCS Gazelle is close to the real thing :)

Are those Gazelle pilots flightsim enthusiasts that also fly other DCS helicopters, or they gave you the "amazing" verdict after few hours of playing DCS without previous simulator experience? Quite often real pilots have a hard time when trying a home simulator for the first time.

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Great news! Keep up the good work, folks! I will be buying all of your future offerings based on my experience with the Gazelle, which I find to be a joy to fly. I've never flown a Gazelle in real life, but it certainly feels very believable to me.

:thumbup:

Even with a 14" extension on my warthog stick I have difficulty not over controlling it. It's almost like there is too much lag between input and result. I will keep trying. I have no trouble at all with the others so it is a bit mystifying.

got a warthog with no extensions and i move my stick mostly just a couple of millimeters and it works pretty good after some training - really do wish for an extension or a softer spring tho. compared to the other choppers its really hard to fly but also very nice!

That's good news. Congratulations!

Now that you had the feedback from the real pilots, I wonder if you could ask them how are supposed to make a turn in the Gazelle without loosing so much forward airspeed.

Cheers,

EDIT: ESOL

+1 and from the Helisimmer review:

Unusual propensity for tail boom contact with the ground on take off ...

It took me almost an hour of practice to be able to lift this aircraft vertically to a stable IGE hover without bumping the tail on the ground. The aircraft naturally wants to drift forward, and if you make too much of a correction with aft cyclic, you’ll likely hear the tail strike the ground behind you. I don’t know anyone who has flown a Gazelle in this configuration, but I don’t think this is very accurate.

interesting thread and read...

Im really considering in getting the Gazelle as my first Heli...

can someone pls tell me honestly whether it makes sense to try to fly the Gazelle with Joystick only ?

I have no rudder pedals but of course a vertical turnable joystick to simulate pedal inputs..

so whats your oppinion guys ?is it worth trying or is the Gazelle to nervous to fly without rudder pedals and specific Heli control gear ?

(my buddies in the german DCS thread section suggested me not to try it just with joystick, unfort...)

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

I'll get back to you with the answer.

That's good news. Congratulations!

Now that you had the feedback from the real pilots, I wonder if you could ask them how are supposed to make a turn in the Gazelle without loosing so much forward airspeed.

Cheers,

EDIT: ESOL

• Like 1

Congratulation on the very good feedback by the ATAL pilots. I think this module is on a very good track.

Did the Gazelle pilots comment on any of the specifc FM issues raised on the forum during the last week? I think there are a couple ones that would warrant a specifc pilot verification. The most curious one is probably the "light on skids" behaviour (raising collective to get weigth off skids, but without actualy getting airborne, it is impossible to stabilize the helicopter withouth either sliding forward or striking your tail on the ground).

Impossible? Nothing is impossible mate. It´s all a matter of practice.

*Taking off without sliding and straight into hover mostly, that without a proper FFB implemented yet

The mentioned issue is not and never was about taking off straight into a hover, which is fairly easy. It is about sitting light on the skids without sliding.

Good to hear that the DCS Gazelle is close to the real thing :)

Are those Gazelle pilots flightsim enthusiasts that also fly other DCS helicopters, or they gave you the "amazing" verdict after few hours of playing DCS without previous simulator experience? Quite often real pilots have a hard time when trying a home simulator for the first time.

+1

It would be interesting to know if they've tried some other DCS helicopters before just as to have some frame of reference for the simulated experience (as otherwise we don't know of their level of expectation from the Gazelle module and the DCS platform).

But, in any case it's comforting to hear the words of praise from the real Gazelle pilots. I'll wait for the FF to be implemented before buying it though as I fly the helis with the G940.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Their feedback was that our Flight Model was incredible and real close to the real thing. While we love the praise we inquired to how to make her better. The only suggestion they had was to implement force feedback - which we are working on.

Can you ask them how fast Gazelle can make 360 turn? There is video on Youtube (

) demonstrating absolutely crazy yaw rate, less than 2 sec for 360 turn. I find it very difficult to believe, that real thing can do that and survive.