Canopy scratches?

moggel

Canopy scratches?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Canopy scratches?

• Yup, I reeeeally miss those little thingeys in the sunset...
    • Naaah, I couldn't care less...
    • Yes! And an option to carve a line in the canopy with my mouse every time I smoke some armour...

I might be alone in liking the rendering of the not-so-perfect canopy in previous DCS titles but I miss the little scratches in the A-10C canopy.

Is there a way to enable this effect again or do I put it on the whishlist?

Cheers

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are RW limits?

Bye, Smith

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-9600K @5ghz, 11GB ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan, 32GB (2x 16384MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3000 DIMM, 1000GB WD Black SN750 Gaming M.2, HP Reverb HMD, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, Realsimulator FSSB R3 Stickbase, TM TPR pedals

To be honest the RW limits for our canopys being scratched are very tight so you normally wouldn't have any...

Interesting... compared to Russian ones where you have many scratches and it seems they aren't bothered that :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

To be honest the RW limits for our canopys being scratched are very tight so you normally wouldn't have any...

What do these go for?

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Scratches AKA Crazing

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

I've never understood people's desire for annoying features that aren't realistic :huh:

:D

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Can we have canopy bird poop?:P I always have on my car windshield :megalol:

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Don't know the limits off the top of my head. When I find scratches we call out AR shop to look and decide if it's within limits.

Must be nice to have nearly unlimited manpower. :thumbup:

Jealous face, though, seriously. Working on jets in the civvie world sucks ass, in comparison.

once I was flying a Piper Archer II, which had a very scratched windshield.

some smart guy must have been using sandpaper to clean it :mad:

Anyway, it was one spot that was really in bad condition, with the sunlight in that spot I went very fast from VFR condition to IFR!:music_whistling:

I told the renter, that I refuse to pay the full amount of rent, and I will never use that plane again before the shield is replaced.

Even small scratches are annoying, because they get miss-read as moving things in periphel vision.

McDan out

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

• 1 month later...

Yes but you're only seeing them against a high-contrasting background.

The limitations for canopy scratches are there so that the pilot isn't distracted by scratches big enough to be seen.

Ergo, you wouldn't really have any scratches.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We had a guy who accidentally put a scratch in a window on a Dash-8, and spent the next 4 days polishing it out.

And you call him Kowalski since then? :D

On the subject - it's the old realism vs real world replication case again. By replicating RL nuances you don't necessarily improve realism, e.g. in RL a certain level of scratched canopy may not bother a pilot that much but it can make a simulator unplayable. A real pilot has far better ability to "filter out" canopy scratches (accomodation, head movements and so on).

A pinup boy of replication that cripples realism is broadly used by game developers: [real pilot's head movement angular limits] = [camera movement angular limits]. Figure out yourself why it's wrong :sly:

Edited by Bucic

A real pilot has far better ability to "filter out" canopy scratches (accomodation, head movements and so on).

This is very true and everyone in their car does the same thing; since you're focused at a depth level that is not where the windshield is, imperfections in the glass get muted from your view. It takes a lot of imperfections (such as quite a bit of rain) before you need to do something to overcome the imperfections from obscuring your vision (forcing your focus level to be at windshield depth).

You poor souls who are still stuck with 2D monitors lose this, and imperfections in the glass are as in-your-face no matter whether you're looking directly at it, or at the tank a mile away where AT MOST the scratch in the glass would impair the vision to the tank for ONE eyeball, not both, and since it's not the point of focus, the picture your brain is given will barely be able to perceive the fault.

• Like 1

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

I just LUUUUUUVED the scratches... it gave me more "real plane" feeling...

Anyway, the scratches were always seen on the edges of the canopy where the sunbeams bent on them, never where one was looking at directly...

ED have to bring them back in...

Do we make a "Bring Scratches Back" Poll? :smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...