What general era are you most interested in?

Leviathan

What general era are you most interested in?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. What general era are you most interested in?

• World War I & early pioneers of aviation
    • World War II
    • Korean War / Early cold war
    • Vientam War
    • Late cold war period (late 70's - early 90's)
    • Present age (late 90's-current date)
    • Other (please elaborate in comments)

Just as the title says: What historical era are you the most interested in?

I see that DCS & co-developers are shifting/expanding focus to a more diverse spectrum of airplanes from different periods of time. And the community appears to be at issue, too, from what era the next big DCS modules should come from; at least judging from all the posts and threats about airplane and theatre requests.

This leads to my question - I'd like to see an overview about what era of aviation is the most anticipated here in this community right now.

(Of course the options in the polls are just simplifications. The arrangement of eras are probably debatable, but every big theatre / generation of airplanes should fit into one of the categories.)

Cold War.

I would not mind to fly anything more recent, though. In fact, I am very much looking forward to fly VEAOs Typhoon for example. But after having now experimented with WWII Warbirds, early Jets, Cold War jets and modern(ish) aircrafts, I think, the Cold War era appeals to me the most. The aircraft are able to leash out well, require some decent airmanship and the avionics is fun to operate. I love avionics and fumbling around with devices'n'stuff - something the earlier aircraft lack to some good extend. And newer ones, with their glass...ish cockpits are cool, but just pressing OSBs on electronic devices is not as much fun as flicking switches of analogue, electric thingies. :o)

All of it. No option for that though.

If I'm honest though its the period from the mid 30's up until mid 80's that appeals the most to me.

The 1st and 2nd generation jets REALLY appeal. Just something about strapping on an aeroplane that will do obscene speeds and ending up relying on guns once you expend your few "guided" missiles.

Late Cold War for me as the Fixed and Rotary winged aircraft really became potent, but not invincible, although I enjoy the WWII era almost as much and the Vietnam era is a firm third place. Korea... well if I can have an F4U-4 or F4U-5N then ok I'd fly against the early jets in that frozen wasteland. The very modern stuff seems boring to me as there is far less skill involved in dropping GPS weapons from 20k ft from an airplane that fly's itself and does everything for you. Pre WWII holds little interest for me as well as the combat capabilities of the early fabric and wood planes were very poor... But if I could fly a Zeppelin...That might be interesting.:thumbup:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I went with Vietnam because there are a lot of aircraft in that era that I would like to see. My personal short list would be the F-4 Phantom, the A-4 Skyhawk, and the A-1 Skyraider. Then there is the F-8, A-6, A-7, even the F-105 might be good fun. There are just so many great and iconic aircraft from that period I would like to get my hands on.

I went for other because of my love of rotary craft, after that there are some outstanding classics from the vietnam era. I would like an A4 and a Thud, oh and A7. Really the list is endless:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would like to see a true multi-role Flanker with Guided Munitions like the Su-30M2 or Su-30SM

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

Modern. F14/15/16 forward.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

WWII. I love the props, and the skill needed to fight the planes without fancy guided weapons. You've just got guns. And they look so nice . . . .

Flare

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

modern

minus the era of the F-22 and -35

so, not "really" modern ---- late-90s to early-2000s

my thinking is.. if you can't model it well, don't (ie.. so much of that area is classified you can't get a decent simulation of it)

but i like the modern US/western aircraft - and i like the ARH missile technology

there is a LOT that "can" be modeled but so far hasn't..

i'm holding out hope

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All but present age (1990's+) stuff.

This is not because they're anything inherently wrong with the brand new aircraft, they're fun in their own way, it just that the airframes are more capable than the pilots within due to newer materials and advanced aerodynamics and avionics, so it shifts the dynamics away from having to learn the airframe and it's limits and finding ways around it in order to use it properly.

A great example of what I mean is the Mig21's ability to slide and stall if you go above ~28 AoA, or the prop plane's lack of power in the vertical and having to focus on energy management more.

It's the stuff that requires the pilot to be actively engaged and being able to fly on the knife edge of the aircraft's envelope that makes it skillful and fun for me.

Edited by Buzzles

I think I would just like to fly aircraft that can pull off modern air maneuvers and I don't need all the modern avionics.

So what are the first aircraft that would be considered to have modern flight dynamics? Super fast and super agile but perhaps not super smart. That would be my era.

These are force conducting poll options. I like all up to gen 4 including... no option for that... so... I simply can't choose one option, is not fair! I also like the helis... and almost anything that can fly!

I like DCS World as it is and more than that I share their future plans too !!!

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Im happy about every Aircraft that is developed at DCS-Level!

But i voted for WW2 because i just love those Prop Planes. Waiting for a P-47:thumbup:

Win7 64bit Ultimate / MSI MPOWER Z97 / i7 4790K@4,4GHz / Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E / EVGA GTX980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 / 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 / Creative SB X-Fi / Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB SSD / 1TB WD Black Caviar HD / Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W / Be Quiet Base 800 / TM Warthog HOTAS / TrackIR 5