Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

Looking forward to October!

I expect the delay of the announcement has a lot to do with EDGE being delayed again. According to Wags they're having a meeting today (Monday) to figure out where they are with Edge and if they're going to meet their release date. I suspect they've already let LN know it's been delayed.

This is of course, pure speculation on my part.

Makes sense.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

In short, absolutely not - we will announce projected release dates together with the aircraft, and we still plan on releasing product(s) this year.

I like this attitude. :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Nothing was set in stone here, however a lot of entitled people think they are owed an explanation by LN or something.

AFAIC LN can announce the modules when they are ready to ship! Now wouldn't that be a pretty nice change of pace around here?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

What I cannot understand is, WHY DELAY AN ANOUNCEMENT? I mean, you're not releaseing the plane, you guys are simply telling which plane are you working on. Cannot understand why 1.5 delay should mix with a place anouncement. I'm alone in this?

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

What I cannot understand is, WHY DELAY AN ANOUNCEMENT? I mean, you're not releaseing the plane, you guys are simply telling which plane are you working on. Cannot understand why 1.5 delay should mix with a place anouncement. I'm alone in this?

Because business, marketing reasons? Maybe it's a mandate by ED for their third party developers? For example the M2000C recently went on preorder, perhaps they don't want to canibalize sales for that module. Perhaps they want to prepare a nice announcement video but they don't have the time because of 1.5. or illness?

My point is that there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that we don't know anything about and being impatient for an announcement is beyond childish.

Edited by OnlyforDCS
  • Like 1

I'm sure they have their reasons, probably related to sales. E.g. maybe they'll release them when they're ready for prepurchase or perhaps even for a beta release with the DCS World 1.5. We'll see.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Should be to not hurt the sales of M-2000 and L-39.. there isn't any other reason..

Anyway now we know for sure that one the modules ( probably the first one being announced by that same reason ) is the Viggen, so the announcement don't have the same surprise factor now.. and next is the beta release data.. I will be extremely surprised if they release one of the planned betas this year..

In fact DCS should be renamed to Delayed Combat Simulator :megalol: // Is only a joke Sith.. :poster_ban:

:surrender:

They've been pretty clear that they want to have a release date along with the announcement. If EDGE has been delayed then that throws a wrench in their plans. LN's release schedule is at the mercy of ED here, something they have no control of.

They've been pretty clear that they want to have a release date along with the announcement. If EDGE has been delayed then that throws a wrench in their plans. LN's release schedule is at the mercy of ED here, something they have no control of.

Now that's something I can understand, but never read such an statement, that's why I asked.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Delayed

We're veering a little off topic. :)

An update to the update of the update- our hopeful estimate to reveal in September may have been slightly optimistic. (Sorry for this, again!)

Not only has regular development been taking a massive chunk of time, MiG-21 1.5 has been requiring a lot of attention.

Sincere apologies for a disappointing end to September, but we're working a lot of OT to ensure we come out of the gate swinging.

Really how much work is there in making an announcement.

How much work is it to shovel all the sh*t away if you make an announcement with stuff in it you can't uphold?

LN wants to make sure that what they say makes sense and can be, within reason, be uphold. No use in getting the whole community in an uproar because you failed to keep promises or have released information you're not going to use/keep/get...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

The biggest issue I have with delayed announcements is the comments they receive, which ultimately cumulate in communications stopping completely, unless a module is ready for Sale.

The really bad thing is, having no early announcements, or participation during the development process will deprive us of the chance to give feedback, discuss features and loadouts etc.

If people could resist to just complain about missed release dates, not attack developers when canceling features, or not implementing their favorite weapons, it could be a much more productive development process if everybody participated in a positive way?

So the "announcement of -secret plane-" is delayed, while development on F-14 and -secret planes- is progressing in the background. Until we don't know what exactly is -secret plane- what does it matter?

I would be much more interested in the roadmap of LNS even if 80% is likely to change. I would love to discuss the features, add one, maps coming with the new modules in a mature manner, before everything is "ready for release" so we can influence, optimize, better the final product together with LNS.

It does not help to post comments like this:

And there we have it, was just waiting for a post like this...

Does any developer in the DCS franchise EVER stay in time with announcements or releases? :huh:

You really monitor the forums just to have a reason to complain? Nothing worthwhile in your life that could use the time?

And somehow you are right, in Software development especially as complex as a flightsimulation delays are common.

It is not unheard of, more a normal thing to happen. On the other hand, even Beta pre-release products seem to be of a quality that EA or Ubisoft titles lack on release... So from my point of view it is well worth the wait.

And while I'm waiting, patiently, I can learn to fly yet another plane in DCS, the Bf-109, the F-15C, the Mig-21, the Hawk, the C-101, the... :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

In short, absolutely not - we will announce projected release dates together with the aircraft, and we still plan on releasing product(s) this year.
Now, I really want to know what you guy are working on!!!? :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

And then we have people who inevitably will complain about people who complain about delays. Just don't try to complain about my complain about people who complain about complaints.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

In a way I both agree and disagree with what Shagrat stated in his last post. I think that those who have legitimate grievances can and should be allowed to post them on these forums, however what those entail should be entirely up to the developers. I also feel that the developers themselves should have a fairly thick skin with regards to what's being posted online in general. Nothing that anyone has ever said online would have any bearing on the work a particular developer does on the module anyway, so basically everyone should relax and get on with it. I feel Leatherneck has done a pretty good job with regards to their PR and public image, they have hinted 'heavily' and allowed us to speculate to our hearts content, and most importantly they have not missed any real dates anyway. Since when is an announcement of an announcement some kind of real date anyway, by real I mean available for purchase or (pre)purchase.

I understand that you are upset - and I would be too. I've been on the other side of this exchange for many years before becoming a developer myself.

I will continue to try to be better at managing expectations from now on.

Normally I wouldn't try to fuel your anger by appearing defensive - but I feel it's important to at least give a basic impression of why something seemingly as simple as a product announcement can be delayed.

The F-14 was unique in the way for us that it was announced because we likely will never announce a product in a similar way again.

It was early, consisted only of renders and a press release. The reasons for doing so were primarily to ensure that we would not be quiet for such an incredibly long period of time.

That would suck for you and it would honestly suck for us too. Trust me, it's hard not to immediately share work that you're proud of.

That said, you only have one chance to make a first impression. On the team, we only have one developer with the skillset to produce marketing content required for a product reveal (e.g. trailer, website, artwork, animations, etc.)- and that would be me. However, I am also responsible for a large amount of textures (e.g. all cockpit textures and many exteriors), modelling, audio, support, leadership and management tasks.

I hope it's quickly becoming clear how difficult it can be to meet all of our development milestones while producing a huge amount of marketing content at the same time.

Many marketing items take a long time to create. E.g. the MiG-21 launch trailer probably took around 20-30 hours of filming and editing.

I hope that offers some clarity into why we don't just "say what it is" and move on.

You're here because you enjoy the quality we put into our work.

We do not want to compromise that in anything we do - even something as seemingly simple as a product announcement.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I understand that you are upset - and I would be too. I've been on the other side of this exchange for many years before becoming a developer myself.

Normally I wouldn't try to fuel your anger by appearing defensive - but I feel it's important to at least give a basic impression of why something seemingly as simple as a product announcement can be delayed.

The F-14 was unique in the way for us that it was announced because we likely will never announce a product in a similar way again.

It was early, consisted only of renders and a press release. The reasons for doing so were primarily to ensure that we would not be quiet for such an incredibly long period of time.

That would suck for you and it would honestly suck for us too. Trust me, it's hard not to immediately share work that you're proud of.

That said, you only have one chance to make a first impression. On the team, we only have one developer with the skillset to produce marketing content required for a product reveal (e.g. trailer, website, artwork, animations, etc.)- and that would be me. However, I am also responsible for a large amount of textures (e.g. all cockpit textures and many exteriors), modelling, audio, support, leadership and management tasks.

I hope it's quickly becoming clear how difficult it can be to meet all of our development milestones while producing a huge amount of marketing content at the same time.

Many marketing items take a long time to create. E.g. the MiG-21 launch trailer probably took around 20-30 hours of filming and editing.

I hope that offers some clarity into why we don't just "say what it is" and move on.

We do not want to compromise that in anything we do - even something as seemingly simple as a product announcement.

:thumbup:

But you don't have to have a HUGE amount of marketing content. You can announce a product and then 'stream' out the content over the months and years till release. You guys have known for almost a year the 2 new aircraft you are going to be releasing. Most people here would be satisfied with the odd screenshot here and there, a video once in a while. Look at the F-14 for example, you guys post the odd screenshot and guess what most people are good with that, including myself.

Also, the people who would see your initial announcement would buy your product anyway. The greater market, those that will buy on a whim aren't influenced by a big marketing campaign. For LN the quality of the work speaks for itself with the Mig21 and the renders of the F-14.

What hurts you guys more than anything is the broken 'promises' of announcements and screenshots and release dates that are missed by months and 'years'.

Edited by Mode1961
  • Like 1

Thanks for the explanation.

Appreciated. :)

Just want to say, I'm not upset.

Will just wait.

No problem. ;)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Great answer Cobra. Thanks for the update. Can't wait for the announcements when you guy's are good and ready!

INTEL i9 9900k @ 5Ghz, Asus Z390 strix ROG, 32gb 3200mhz Ram, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti, Corsair RM850i, Corsair H110i,, HP REVERB, Win 10 64bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

approved

But you don't have to have a HUGE amount of marketing content. You can announce a product and then 'stream' out the content over the months and years till release.

But you just quoted the post where he clearly stated how they won't announce a product without a sufficient level of presentation quality as they want to make a good first impression with it.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!