AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy, ok i´m going to throw this here, we are in the testing phase, those who have knowledge in software development know what that means, WE ARE ON SCHEDULE.

can anyone translate this for me, I know nothing of software lol

Thx for the update and everything!

I was inverted B)

We have kept saying two weeks the past month is this a trend?
Yes.

-Shadow

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Testing phase means build is almost complete and they are running final checks to make sure everything works properly. As for time, depends on the complexity. I would guess 3 weeks.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

You must be new here... :)

Nate

:megalol:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Testing phase means build is almost complete and they are running final checks to make sure everything works properly. As for time, depends on the complexity. I would guess 3 weeks.

0UxTHuu.jpg

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

0UxTHuu.jpg
No but I am a software developer, I just don't develop for games so when we go into testing phase we are about a few weeks before before being complete. That's not counting of course any bugs or issues that are found and must be reworked. But of course business doesn't want to hear that they just want a time frame.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

No but I am a software developer, I just don't develop for games so when we go into testing phase we are about a few weeks before before being complete. That's not counting of course any bugs or issues that are found and must be reworked. But of course business doesn't want to hear that they just want a time frame.

Pfffttt, Testing build for UAT == build is complete :lol:

Not in my experience of dev'ing commercially :) Clients be strange and fickle beasts.

Although, with all the progress thus far, it does look as if Razbam are on track to release a public beta build by the end of the year.

Not in my experience of dev'ing commercially :) Clients be strange and fickle beasts.

Although, with all the progress thus far, it does look as if Razbam are on track to release a public beta build by the end of the year.

There was hype about a Q3 release though. Don't know what happened to that....

(no I am not new here. :P)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

There was hype about a Q3 release though. Don't know what happened to that....

(no I am not new here. :P)

Yea but game development is very different and from what I've heard from fellow game development buddies, it takes a lot more time of course depending on the game.

In my experience DCS development isn't remotely comparable to "typical" software or even games.

That's what they meant. If you stick around for a while you get used to the differences.

From what I've seen in the past, the typical starting point is a thorough research for information about a certain airframe. From blueprints to engine performance charts, wind tunnel data (if possible), and so on.

In parallel legal stuff about Intellectual Property, License, if appropriate military issues with confidential technology etc.

These can take up to a couple years in the background.

Then you start coding and need to make a proof of concept and negotiate a contract/3rd party license.

Finally the real work sometimes takes considerably longer than expected.

In addition DCS is currently in flux from 1.5 to 2.x which puts additional strains on resources at both ED and the 3rd parties.

Finally, a sneak peek on a module can only show a small part of it.

We have seen modules that looked "ready to fly and only weeks from release" and still need to be worked on.

It isn't "good" or "bad". It is how development for DCS currently works and it is important to be aware of it, so you have realistic expectations.

DCS modules are usually highly complex and done by comparably small developer studios. There is a reason the majors like EA, Ubisoft, Origin etc. don't release a lot of flight sims... ;)

On the one hand we all can't wait to lay hands on a "new module" as quickly as possible, on the other hand, we complain about its state and lack of completion, if it isn't "finished" right away.

For me it is a good thing, developers take the time to work on their modules and "do it right", fixing bugs and add / finalize features even years after "release".

Even if an "early access" takes a couple of years it does mean it isn't up to the devs own expectations and is worked on.

For me personally much preferred to a annual Christmas-Release of Megatitel V.2, Megatitel V.3 and so on, to keep the revenue flowing, by selling the same game over and over again, like other companies do.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Razbam has stated multiple times in the last months, that they are on schedule for a Q3 release. The last one being just a couple of days ago.

And it already being so close to the end of Q3 I have no doubt that an early access release will come by the end of the month. They wouldn't stress being on schedule so much otherwise.

If someone compares this to ED:s work on 2.5 and the Hornet... they have always being quite quiet, until the bitter end announcement that they are not quite ready yet, but "oh look at these screenshots". Compare this to Razbam who have said it for months, and continue to do so now almost weekly, that they are still in the game and not backing up on the set date.

All this is of course with the caveat that ED might not release the Harrier to DCS at the very same date the build is ready.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Or to quote Michael Jordan: "The ceiling is the roof". Or is that the bottom is the floor? One thing is for sure, the Harrier will be a game changer tactically speaking. BTW, the Harrier operational ceiling I believe, is higher than the roof. biggrin.gif

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In my experience DCS development isn't remotely comparable to "typical" software or even games.

That's what they meant. If you stick around for a while you get used to the differences.

From what I've seen in the past, the typical starting point is a thorough research for information about a certain airframe. From blueprints to engine performance charts, wind tunnel data (if possible), and so on.

In parallel legal stuff about Intellectual Property, License, if appropriate military issues with confidential technology etc.

These can take up to a couple years in the background.

Then you start coding and need to make a proof of concept and negotiate a contract/3rd party license.

Finally the real work sometimes takes considerably longer than expected.

In addition DCS is currently in flux from 1.5 to 2.x which puts additional strains on resources at both ED and the 3rd parties.

Finally, a sneak peek on a module can only show a small part of it.

We have seen modules that looked "ready to fly and only weeks from release" and still need to be worked on.

It isn't "good" or "bad". It is how development for DCS currently works and it is important to be aware of it, so you have realistic expectations.

DCS modules are usually highly complex and done by comparably small developer studios. There is a reason the majors like EA, Ubisoft, Origin etc. don't release a lot of flight sims... ;)

On the one hand we all can't wait to lay hands on a "new module" as quickly as possible, on the other hand, we complain about its state and lack of completion, if it isn't "finished" right away.

For me it is a good thing, developers take the time to work on their modules and "do it right", fixing bugs and add / finalize features even years after "release".

Even if an "early access" takes a couple of years it does mean it isn't up to the devs own expectations and is worked on.

For me personally much preferred to a annual Christmas-Release of Megatitel V.2, Megatitel V.3 and so on, to keep the revenue flowing, by selling the same game over and over again, like other companies do.

Yea there is a ton of info required before getting into it. I'd rather they take time and do it properly than rush to release something that requires patches after day one. So many game companies do that these days especially for consoles..release game then day one there is a 8gb patch to fix stuff which sometimes you end up in an A breaks B scenario. Specially with dcs updates I've seen where I was trying to do the mirage campaign and I had to research the bugs I encountered, went back from 1.57 to 1.56 until some things were fixed, so forth.

I'm quite busy enough until the harrier comes out I'm learning more on the f15 and doing some campaigns to occupy the time.

To be fair to the quote, they said they were on schedule. Nothing about what or whose schedule :) Wording became wordplay on these forums many years ago.

Why do you think he said we are on schedule and not mention a date? :) A date is way more accurate, but it's never been mentioned. That's all you need to know.

It could just mean the internal schedule for project complete (then pass to ED and their process begins).

[Additionally, "release" might also be something other that what it's been generally accepted to be -edited]

Razbam has stated multiple times in the last months, that they are on schedule for a Q3 release. The last one being just a couple of days ago.

And it already being so close to the end of Q3 I have no doubt that an early access release will come by the end of the month. They wouldn't stress being on schedule so much otherwise.

If someone compares this to ED:s work on 2.5 and the Hornet... they have always being quite quiet, until the bitter end announcement that they are not quite ready yet, but "oh look at these screenshots". Compare this to Razbam who have said it for months, and continue to do so now almost weekly, that they are still in the game and not backing up on the set date.

All this is of course with the caveat that ED might not release the Harrier to DCS at the very same date the build is ready.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

The important thing is, it looks as if they make good progress.

In the end they will release it to early access,when it is ready for an early access.

In-between I am happy to get some pictures,videos and info.

From what they showed until know it will be a very interesting module.

Shagrat