Thanks for the new external view capabilities, ED!

rrohde

I agree with this.

I think DCS used to mix the axes set in General Tab with the ones in Ground Unit, maybe it's still the case and axes assignation should be checked on both.

As I said I don't have latest 1.54 beta and I can't test but in principle I like the feature... minus the nuisances that will be solved one way or the other.

Yup, bug is acknowledged and will be worked on.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Groove already added it in Mantis.

Details: the mouse still controls the turret/aiming point of the gun, while the TrackIR controls the view. Unfortunately in gunsight view (F1, no isometric) the range scale and target cross is linked and moved with the TrackIR, while the gun fires at the point the mouse is aiming at.

That makes it impossible to aim at anything until you pause TrackIR and center your viewpoint again with NUM5...

so the range finder needs to be linked to turret and not head tracker then.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

so the range finder needs to be linked to turret and not head tracker then.

The whole targeting "overlay" is currently moving with the head tracker and the gun points where the mouse slewed it.

To reproduce enter a M-1A1, F1 view, move your head, aim at anything, then shoot...

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Why don't you use the pause function of TIR? (F9 by default)

Great feature, thanks ED! :thumbup:

Because it is annoying.

Because when leaning forward to the keyboard to hit the pause key the view gets messed up, and then has to be readjusted.

Because it breaks the flow when you just want to glance outside quickly for whatever reason.

Because I don't like it.

I agree the feature is great.

But it should be optional, and a way for it to be disabled/enabled by default should be provided.

Because it is annoying.

Because when leaning forward to the keyboard to hit the pause key the view gets messed up, and then has to be readjusted.

Because it breaks the flow when you just want to glance outside quickly for whatever reason.

Because I don't like it.

I agree the feature is great.

But it should be optional, and a way for it to be disabled/enabled by default should be provided.

It's not just annoying, it currently breaks CA gameplay!

This bug is reported and should be worked on.

Shagrat

You have to lean forward to press the view change key, might as well tap the pause button while your there, or map pause to the HOTAS button, pause then lean and switch views.

I always paused before I changed views anyway.

Combined Arms is a different story.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

You have to lean forward to press the view change key, might as well tap the pause button while your there, or map pause to the HOTAS button, pause then lean and switch views.

I always paused before I changed views anyway.

Combined Arms is a different story.

Even in CA the new view is cool in isometric view and external.

I love the isometric “Tank Commander buttoned up“ option. To glance to the side to check surroundings and your platoon mates positions is awesome.

It just needs to be deactivated in the F1 Gunsight view!

Shagrat

TrackIR controlling F2 mode

I recently installed my DCS onto an SSD and now my trackIR is active even in external views, this did not happen before. Can someone hint me at which setting I have to change and if I messed something up. When I get rid of "TRACKIR_YAW, ...PITCH, and ...ROLL" in the controls it fixes it but then I can no longer use TrackIR in or out of cockpit. DCS (after the new update) keeps telling me "head tracker disabled" on the top right corner. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

FireFox500

PC Specs: i7 4790 (non K), MSI GTX 980, 1TB Seagate HDD, 32GB Crucial DDR3-1600MHz RAM, 3 Samsung 1920x1080 monitors, EVGA 850W G2 PSU

You didn't mess anything up, it's a new feature of ver. 1.5.4. The only way of disabling it in external view at the moment is pausing the TiR before going external.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

:/ grrr

It looks like the suggestions in this thread tailored for improving the TrackIR experience in CA have totally ruined the VR experience. In VR having the head movement locked down is extremely uncomfortable and can make you sick.

I don't blame you guys for the suggestions BUT don't assume that VR works the same as TrackIR. What works for one probably won't work for the other.

ED needs to treat VR and TrackIR as TOTALLY separate things.

• Like 1

You didn't mess anything up, it's a new feature of ver. 1.5.4. The only way of disabling it in external view at the moment is pausing the TiR before going external.

Strange, TIR in extenal view don't work for me, did i miss something?

It looks like the suggestions in this thread tailored for improving the TrackIR experience in CA have totally ruined the VR experience. In VR having the head movement locked down is extremely uncomfortable and can make you sick.

I don't blame you guys for the suggestions BUT don't assume that VR works the same as TrackIR. What works for one probably won't work for the other.

Yep. Though in VR it is very difficult to achieve an appropriate solution.

Actually you would need an internal model of the Tank with the sight to lean to.

Currently the F1 "Gunsight" view represents the gunner bolting his head to the sight to aim...

Problem is, on a Humvee's .50 Cal it would be cool, to be able to move the head, even with TrackIR.

To achieve this they need to completely redo the modeling/rendering of the sight, as far as I understand the current system.

At the moment, we have the mouse again controling both the viewpoint and gun aim cross/sight.

As the gun aim cross is an "overlay" rendered on the "viewpoint", currently this is necessary to actually point the gun and the cross in the same direction.

What would be necessary is to attach the cross/sight to the "World" rendering and control it in a similar way, like the isometric view's gun cross (the big yellow one you see in isometric view).

Then you could move the "head"/viewpoint independent from aim, as in real life!

This should work fine in TrackIR AND VR modes.

What I cannot estimate is the feasibility or effort this takes. :dunno:

Shagrat

Strange, TIR in extenal view don't work for me, did i miss something?

Not sure, If You don't have any mod installed, which would restore TiR operation to as it was in 1.5.3, You should be getting external cam TiR-active by default, in both 1.5.4 Open Beta and 1.5.4. Stable.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

AH! Thank you! So before I go external I push pause, go external then I can unpause and it will stop the TiR external control?

PC Specs: i7 4790 (non K), MSI GTX 980, 1TB Seagate HDD, 32GB Crucial DDR3-1600MHz RAM, 3 Samsung 1920x1080 monitors, EVGA 850W G2 PSU

AH! Thank you! So before I go external I push pause, go external then I can unpause and it will stop the TiR external control?

Assign the Track IR pause to one of your joystick buttons if you have available, for ease of access.

When go external, hit the button for pause. No more TIR movement in external.

When go back in cockpit, hit pause again and it will re-enable TIR movement.

Works a champ.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

What I cannot estimate is the feasibility or effort this takes.

Well actually it isn't that hard and they already have the code. They could just reuse CA HUD overlays BUT make the HUD floating and locked to a unit connector and make the sight in the HUD ... COLLIMATED.

And you don't aim with the head view or with mouse cursor in the view box ... just NO! You aim just like in the aircraft --- aim the barrel by controlling the vehicle and weapons systems via your HOTAS.

Only difference from an aircraft HUD is that they have to generalise a floating HUD surface but this work is already done with the CA HUD system. The work is already done it just needs a nice implementation.

The important thing to make it work in VR and not make users sick or disoriented is that the HUD CAN"T be locked to your face or viewbox. The HUD needs to be locked to the vehicle mesh and again there already exists mesh connectors for turret, driver position, and point guns.

The best way for a floating HUD to work in a Tank is for the CA HUD to be locked to orientation and movement of the turret. If the orientation and position of your virtual body is locked to the turret then sighting up is just a matter of moving your head to get a good view of the collimated sight in the HUD and then you use the HOTAS to move the entire turret or move the barrel via the FCS subsystem.

I can provide other examples for your favourite unit or weapon station.

Edited by vicx

If this is a feature and not a bug, how come TiR is acting differently in different modules? In the M-2000C (just to mention one) it works just as it always has i.e. no TiR interference in external views.

If it IS a feature and not a bug afterall, please make it optional. I hate it with a passion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

My F2 hasn't changed. TIR isn't doing anything in that view. Is there an option that I need to turn on?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

It does in some modules. Haven't tried all but it definatly controls the external view in the C-101. While it doesn't in the M-2000C like I mentioned above.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

I tried the C101...not happening. TIR works fine in the cockpit....F2...no joy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Not getting any TIR in outside view here with any aeroplane either.

Which makes me think this is a bug for some of us more than a feature...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

I am using OpenTrack and since last 1.54 public update I had to disable my Trackir Interface output from OT because it was used primarily instead of Freetrack interface but only 50% of the axis worked so because Freetrack axes worked as before, 100% of their length. The downside is that Freetrack output is not used for external views.

Is this related with VR problem? Because VR (Oculus and Vive) must be using another interface also, right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Depends on how the views and controller commands are setup by default for those aircraft,

C-101, M2000C, etc are all 3rd party modules.