**Bunyap Pre-Alpha Video - F-14 Carrier & More!**

Cobra847

Here's a real HUD tape to compare to:

Great video! You can really get a sense of how maneuverable the Tomcat is.

The refresh rate for most of the HUD is actually pretty good except for the TVV. It seems useless when perfoming any type of maneuver. I also noticed that the vertical velocity indication on the left side of the HUD seems to have limits of +1,500 to -1,500. On the video, it is hard to determine the altitude range for the radar altimeter on the right side of the HUD.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HUD will likely be even worse.

We haven't implemented some of the imprecision in the instrument during more demanding maneouvers.

It's possible, if people are getting motionsick, that we implement options to alleviate this in some way. That's a decision we can make in the future!

As I said in the you tube video...No compromises!!, It took me about 5mins to get use to it on the video. Great to see the attention to detail, good job Leatherneck!

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

No words needed... fsgrin.png

xd4j8852.jpg

ek53i25y.png

€dit:

The HUD will likely be even worse.

We haven't implemented some of the imprecision in the instrument during more demanding maneouvers.

It's possible, if people are getting motionsick, that we implement options to alleviate this in some way. That's a decision we can make in the future!

Ka-50 is worse, but it's not modelled. You raise the bar to higher standards salute.png

Probably most HUDs should actually lag, and the lag delays aren't the same for different elements of the dispay, as that "top down velocity vector" in the Shark lags a lot more than anything else rainbowdashwink.png

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

HUD refresh doesnt look so bad in youtube videos , but maybe thats just me as i`m used to flying RC FPV planes with HUDs like that ( google RVOSD and EagleTree OSD )

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F14 HUD isn't your primary flight instrument during normal flight maneuvers, so the slow refresh rate isn't a problem. The HUD is there to provide easy access to certain flight parameters when you take an occasional glance at the HUD while looking out through the windshield. I highly doubt that the F-14 is rated for CAT III blind landings, so you'll always be doing visual approaches within reasonable minima. At that stage of flight, a VVI that updates 1 or 10 times a second is irrelevant.

For A2A the story may be different, as the HUD is your primary instrument for stuff like the gun funnel etc.

I highly doubt that the F-14 is rated for CAT III blind landings, so you'll always be doing visual approaches within reasonable minima. At that stage of flight, a VVI that updates 1 or 10 times a second is irrelevant.

For A2A the story may be different, as the HUD is your primary instrument for stuff like the gun funnel etc.

You could not possibly be more wrong:

On the HUD, it doesn't look so bad, just the FPM. I you look at the dogfight video it seems like the symbology lags behind a bit, but the refresh rate isn't bad except on that FPM.

Everything I hoped for, when you first announced the F-14 I was praying that when carrier landings are implemented it wont be like current with the Su-33 and we would see real suspension travel. Knew you wouldn't let us down:thumbup:

Now I'm just praying for the LTS and LGB's :joystick:

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Everything I hoped for, when you first announced the F-14 I was praying that when carrier landings are implemented it wont be like current with the Su-33 and we would see real suspension travel. Knew you wouldn't let us down:thumbup:

As a side-note:, the current implementation of the Su33 is based on the "Simple Flight Model (SFM)", and both the ED Carrier Ops, as well as the SFM, will be upgraded soon, too. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

As a side-note:, the current implementation of the Su33 is based on the "Simple Flight Model (SFM)", and both the ED Carrier Ops, as well as the SFM, will be upgraded soon, too. :thumbup:

Yes I'm hoping that will improve the experience with the Su-33 especially when we get the new carriers. :)

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I bet everyone knows this one.

But its a B Version, so it should be pretty much what we will get :)

Did not know they had MB seats..

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I highly doubt that the F-14 is rated for CAT III blind landings, so you'll always be doing visual approaches within reasonable minima. At that stage of flight, a VVI that updates 1 or 10 times a second is irrelevant.

On the HUD, it doesn't look so bad, just the FPM. I you look at the dogfight video it seems like the symbology lags behind a bit, but the refresh rate isn't bad except on that FPM.

It looks like the HUD in the video is the SparrowHawk HUD and not the original one that we will be getting. I don't know if all the HUD information seen in that video will be available on the HUD that LN will be implementing. With the original HUD, it looks like the pilot would have to use the Horizontal Situation Display until at 3/4 mile, then transition to a visual approach and landing. With the ACLS (Automatic Carrier Landing System), the approach could be flown hands off by the autopilot. Without Autoland capability though, the pilot will still have to take over at 3/4 mile and use the Optical Landing System.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

That's not the A/B HUD.

It's the sparrowhawk.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

That's not the A/B HUD.

It's the sparrowhawk.

The point of my linked video isn't the hud, but the Automated Carrier Landing System, my comments on the HUD were in reference to the earlier F-5 dogfight video. Doesn't matter how bad or laggy the HUD is, so long as the ACLS is modeled, you can make a landing blindfolded once you set yourself up.

The point of my linked video isn't the hud, but the Automated Carrier Landing System, my comments on the HUD were in reference to the earlier F-5 dogfight video. Doesn't matter how bad or laggy the HUD is, so long as the ACLS is modeled, you can make a landing blindfolded once you set yourself up.

Gotcha!

What is the B's HUD? cause all iv'e seen is that the F-14B uses the sparrow HUD

B HUD is identical to A.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Also, one thing I noticed during the Bunyap video is that the nosewheel tow bar dropped when the nosewheel strut compressed on touchdown.

At least under normal conditions (as far as I've seen), the nosewheel strut is independent of the tow bar.

Here is a nice video of the nose gear in action (head to 7:38 ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7kgVlaVFb4

The touchdown in the video may have been special circumstances, but I figure it's worth mentioning. Loved the video BTW!

-Nick

PS - the above youtube video has lots of great classic USN landing/catapult footage from the late-70s - lots of colorful Tomcats. :)

Edited by BlackLion213

Also, one thing I noticed during the Bunyap video is that the nosewheel tow bar dropped when the nosewheel strut compressed on touchdown.

At least under normal conditions (as far as I've seen), the nosewheel strut is independent of the tow bar.

Here is a nice video of the nose gear in action (head to 7:38 ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7kgVlaVFb4

The touchdown in the video may have been special circumstances, but I figure it's worth mentioning. Loved the video BTW!

-Nick

PS - the above youtube video has lots of great classic USN landing/catapult footage from the late-70s - lots of colorful Tomcats. :)

Likely just animation issue.

IIRC there's a separate animation for the Towbar/Launch Bar.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team
So that is nice, but it still looks like December 2018. Actually this press release has even less tangible news than the others. It is a small clip of the landing looped over and over again and most of the 8 minutes in the video is filler.

That whole f14 was supposed to be out "second half" 2016.

cobra in september 2015

Certainly looks like something farther along than a module that will be released in 2018, but who knows, maybe you will be right. F-14 has to be a pretty complex module with lots of hidden challenges, I would love to fly it today complete, but I am sure I can wait till they are ready to release it, sun will still come up tomorrow if I dont get it right now.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png