Spoiled by Excellence!

ronht

Reading some of the "disappointed" and "complaint" threads here I have to admit brings a chuckle and a smile to my face as well as some fond and very exasperated memories of flight sim software of the past.

How quickly we forget just how lucky we are today!

Never before have we seen software released to the public in it's Alpha state that works so well with so few problems. It's too good really! And it's ED's fault!!!

Anyone remember the frustration with the various Falcon releases through 3 and 4? I can't tell you how many times a Beta or Release version of that software completely crashed our computers and all but fried some of our hard drives.

Of course those complaints led to the developers of Falcon, the Janes series and others to simply put their coming titles on continual "hold" status with us waiting week after week, month after month and year after year on the next "release" downloading for hours or days on an old modem and installing the software hoping upon hope that we would at least get to the start-up screen before the BSOD (Blue or Black Screen of Death) locked up our computers for hours.

Your not really a seasoned flight simmer unless you've spent hours slogging through the DOS prompts trying to recover your machine after the latest new release of Falcon nuked your computer operating system.

What the developers of ED have accomplished with DCS is simply astonishing! Software released in it's "Alpha" and "Beta" stage in a state that has for the most part caused people to forget what those labels even mean. And to top that off, we get almost weekly updates to both the software and product news! ED "WHAT" pray tell are you guys thinking?

DCS has provided more fun, entertainment, consistency and reliability than most software has been able to accomplish in it's final "release" versions.

Sometimes you need to revisit the past just to realize how great the present really is. ED with the DCS series has "Spoiled Us with Excellence" There is simply no other way to put it and from time to time we all need to not only remind ourselves of that, but also be extremely thankful for the quality they have achieved and that we've come to expect.

Thanks guys!

• Like 7

+1 :thumbup:

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I can only agree! And thanks for bringing this up. People who are happy are usally quiet, even if they are the majority, while the people that are not happy will complain quickly. I'm afraid I'm no exception to this. So it's nice to see something positive every now and then :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Indeed!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

very very well explained! thanks ED!!!!

i play it with passion and fun since flanker times. . . dunno. . . but i guess 21 years for now. i love it. i am a cold war kid, and regarding that, it was very exciting to fly "secret" planes and set up battles with all that russian hardware in the crimean/caucasian theatre. planes and stuff that i can only spot in the air and streets/fields of former warsaw pact. finally, with 2.5 graphics for the caucasus and maybe some overhauled airbases, for me a dream become true. . . very promising pictures posted by wags. really looking forward to see more and for IT!!!!

Edited by flanker1

Very well worded :)

I am a typical happy user that has been enjoying DCS for years and reading news / keeping up to date about DCS since Black Shark 1 was announced.

I just recently started posting some VR comments in the forum.

Quote Vedexent: The technical term for an over ambitious ground attack pilot is "dead".

Quote SiThSpAwN: I figure 1.5 will have to buy some roses and chocolates, take 2.0 to a nice restaurant, and if it opens doors and is a gentleman, 1.5 and 2.0 might just get to merge one day.

Amen. Longlife Ed ! ! Big Thx

• Like 1

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

:thumbup:

Amen brother!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I can only agree! And thanks for bringing this up. People who are happy are usally quiet, even if they are the majority, while the people that are not happy will complain quickly. I'm afraid I'm no exception to this. So it's nice to see something positive every now and then :thumbup:

Amen to that. At least I am confident that ED knows, to not bother with them ranting :)

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Many here that cry are just to young to have gone through those days...so they cannot appreciate that from whence we came. Its just the entitled crowd that wants it all and wants it now.

Back then I was flying those sims via dial-up. Now that was truly frustrating.

Yes ED is doing a great job...and many do appreciate their efforts and understand. We can see who they are.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I remember before I got into DCS, I saw the graphics in another sim and thought "Wow! That's amazing they'd include such a high quality cockpit in a default aircraft!"

Looking back on that very cockpit all I can think is "literal potato."

Also, I used to read through documentation on aircraft, see some really weird quirk that would be fun to play with, then sigh because I know no reasonably priced simulator would offer such insane attention to detail. That never happens in DCS. For instance, at full mil power the F-5 will open its engine nozzle as needed to keep EGT within limits. You can see this clearly in the sim if you look closely at the engine instruments. It's amazing how there's never a detail too small, too unimportant to be included in the sim.

Not to mention the massive competitive aspect to it, which keeps things from getting dull.

No matter how much I complain and whine about bugs, release dates, and getting shot down while ground pounding, you can be absolutely certain I'm not leaving for a very, very long time. (and I'm sure many people are in the same boat)

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Great post OP. :thumbup:

+100%

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I spent many years flying various flight sims. Nothing else really can compare to DCS. They have truly set the bar. Sure, we all have our pet wishlists and frustrations (nature of the beast), but in terms of quality, DCS can't be beat. I'm very much looking of forward to what is on the horizon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

This was my first flight sim for DOS. We've come a long way. :-)

[ATTACH]152073[/ATTACH]

LOL, cannot stop laugning XD Well well, it wasn`t that bad with me, remember this one? :lol:

Snap117_1.jpg

Was and is amazing btw, but considering where we are at now, oh dear, ED makes dreams come true :pilotfly:

56d7494e82059.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reading some of the "disappointed" and "complaint" threads here I have to admit brings a chuckle and a smile to my face as well as some fond and very exasperated memories of flight sim software of the past.

Never before have we seen software released to the public in it's Alpha state that works so well with so few problems. It's too good really! And it's ED's fault!!!

Anyone remember the frustration with the various Falcon releases through 3 and 4? I can't tell you how many times a Beta or Release version of that software completely crashed our computers and all but fried some of our hard drives.

Of course those complaints led to the developers of Falcon, the Janes series and others to simply put their coming titles on continual "hold" status with us waiting week after week, month after month and year after year on the next "release" downloading for hours or days on an old modem and installing the software hoping upon hope that we would at least get to the start-up screen before the BSOD (Blue or Black Screen of Death) locked up our computers for hours.

Your not really a seasoned flight simmer unless you've spent hours slogging through the DOS prompts trying to recover your machine after the latest new release of Falcon nuked your computer operating system.

What the developers of ED have accomplished with DCS is simply astonishing! Software released in it's "Alpha" and "Beta" stage in a state that has for the most part caused people to forget what those labels even mean. And to top that off, we get almost weekly updates to both the software and product news! ED "WHAT" pray tell are you guys thinking?

DCS has provided more fun, entertainment, consistency and reliability than most software has been able to accomplish in it's final "release" versions.

Sometimes you need to revisit the past just to realize how great the present really is. ED with the DCS series has "Spoiled Us with Excellence" There is simply no other way to put it and from time to time we all need to not only remind ourselves of that, but also be extremely thankful for the quality they have achieved and that we've come to expect.

Thanks guys!

Would it be okay if I disagree? Although gratifying to developer, I find this thread not useful. Why, you may ask? Because we are all customers.

While I wasn't fond of Falcon, I've been playing "sims" before 386SX came about. "Online", against distant players, even before there was a thing called Internet.

Last night, at one point, there were 277 "players" online on DCS including servers themselves. All of real players were playing at a maximum of 20 servers, while the rest had been empty. And it's usually similar to that, or worse. Although there are various reasons for such a phenomenon, I don't think it's because players are spoiled by excellence.

The last thing I would want with this response is to start a bickering why is something good or not.