Dear oculus rift cv1 users. Is it really worth it!

boedha68

OK I wont bang on too much about how great it is (...it is BTW) I would just say this. I used to have a triple screen display with TIR, even had a fourth touch screen monitor working at one point with HELIOS. Doesn't compare in the slightest to the feeling of VR and I would never go back to flying without it now.

A cousin (who is also a keen virtual pilot) kept telling me "I'm hanging on as I don't want to be an early adopter...the resolution isn't good enough at the moment...etc, etc"

He came over for new year and had a go on mine his words were "This is astonishing" among other ooohs and argghhhhs. He ordered one the next day.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the danger of waiting for the next version. Just don't try the CV1! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's going to be a long wait for a cv2, or other headset comparable to cv1 for now.

I say do it; if you want the benefits of full immersion at the cost of having to find the right graphics settings and being less able to pick out details at a distance (dogfights are bloody difficult).

But sometimes, it makes your heart pound, and I still remember the first time I got chased down a valley by Migs, hurting my neck trying to spot IR missile trails behind me.

• Like 1

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

Tadaaaa.........The rift is purchased and i am getting my hands on it in a few hours.

I hope you guys didn't lie! :D:smartass::pilotfly:

I report back, what I find of it!!

Thanks for all your experiences guys.:thumbup::D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Tadaaaa.........The rift is purchased and i am getting my hands on it in a few hours.

Congrats, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Stand by to be blown away!! :D

That first time I fired it up and jumped in the Spitfire.....wow.

You can even stand up in the cockpit and look at the external model, awesome. I really got the feel of how small and compact some of those cockpits are.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Hey gang just couple more questions on the Rift.

USB ports - I understand it requires 3 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0. My on board ASMedia 3.0 ports are not compatible according to the Occulus compatibility checker, so I will order a USB 3.0 add in card that is. That card has 5 USB 3.0 ports.

Can I use then 4 of these for the Rift for the above, I believe USB 3.0 is backwards compatible is that right? Would make it simple to just plug the whole thing into that add in card.

Spotting - so in reading the forums, I understand currently spotting is fairly difficult when using the Rift? While I do enjoy flying around and taking in the beauty, and it certainly sounds like it will be breath taking, I do also enjoy flying combat missions. Maybe it would not be a big deal for me, as I am only a SP guy that prefers to fly single missions and campaigns, with labels on?

Lastly, and this is minor concern , does the Rift deal with external views ok if at all? I occasionally while just flying around like to view the external fly by view or chase view briefly.

Thanks for any feedback, I am getting close to ordering one I think.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hey gang just couple more questions on the Rift.

USB ports - I understand it requires 3 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0. My on board ASMedia 3.0 ports are not compatible according to the Occulus compatibility checker, so I will order a USB 3.0 add in card that is. That card has 5 USB 3.0 ports.

Can I use then 4 of these for the Rift for the above, I believe USB 3.0 is backwards compatible is that right? Would make it simple to just plug the whole thing into that add in card.

Spotting - so in reading the forums, I understand currently spotting is fairly difficult when using the Rift? While I do enjoy flying around and taking in the beauty, and it certainly sounds like it will be breath taking, I do also enjoy flying combat missions. Maybe it would not be a big deal for me, as I am only a SP guy that prefers to fly single missions and campaigns, with labels on?

Lastly, and this is minor concern , does the Rift deal with external views ok if at all? I occasionally while just flying around like to view the external fly by view or chase view briefly.

I had to add a PCI card for SATA 6 and USB 3. It works great. Also the blurb is misleading. You need a USB 3 for the rift headset and a USB 3 for the Sensor. The other USB is for an Xbox controller which is unnecessary in DCS but useful for other gamesand is USB 2. I bought "Keep talking and no one explodes" http://www.keeptalkinggame.com/ which allows friends and family to enjoy it too, and its fun.

Spotting is hard work but does not detract too much you just need to be closer. I have joined Burning Skies WWII server a few times recently and they have some modded labels that decrease in size as they get closer till they disappear altogether, I am sure it should be doable for SP

Just get it !!! the actual feeling of being in the DCS world instead of playing it is well worth the investment:clap_2:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just get it !!! the actual feeling of being in the DCS world instead of playing it is well worth the investment:clap_2:

Gotcha, thanks so much for the feedback!

Don B

Here's another vote for getting the Rift. It's really a great toy in general (and I highly recommend Touch if it interests you!) but flight and racing sims are absolutely the best. I wouldn't even consider a flight or racing sim without Rift anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Here's another vote for getting the Rift. It's really a great toy in general (and I highly recommend Touch if it interests you!) but flight and racing sims are absolutely the best. I wouldn't even consider a flight or racing sim without Rift anymore.

Okay okay I am convinced!

I will be ordering it next week. Looking forward to trying it out with the Spitfire and the KA-50!

Thanks,

Don B

Just got mine 1 week ago, since then i never went back to 2D , looking for a target using you head is outstanding

,handling and landing is way better

And natural , insturments looks so real

Yes resolution is a bit low but u can still read what u need to read

GO GRAB IT MAN ITS AMAAAZING

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted to add that by being an early adopter you are also supporting a burgeoning industry . The money and support you now contribute will come back to you in spades. Not to mention cv1 is truly incredible and worth every penny! It's a life long fantasy being witnessed in its conception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had the Rift since last June,It's paid for itself 4X over with the enjoyment I've gotten in The DCS World,Also over The Holidays,Watching my little nieces and nephews faces playing Oculas Dreamdeck........That was $Priceless$:thumbup: Enjoy your "New World" Sir:)

Patrick

mini.gif

Yes, the external views F2 and F3 are great. First time I tried it my chin hit the floor!!! completely different from 2D external views.

Also when you get your rift, now this will sound sacrilege but, take a Spitfire up to say 8000ft or so then bale out! take a look around on your way down. I wont spoil it for you but the feeling and view of it is awesome! :D

Another thing is to be sitting in the Spitfire with your rift on then physically stand up, you will be wanting to climb out and walk on the wing....it's that real!

The detail you see in the Spitfire cockpit is great, lots you would miss on a 2D monitor. I found along with a serial and model number, an Air Ministry stamp on the bottom of the gun sight in the Spitfire. I would have never seen stuff like this on my 32" flat screen TV with TrackIr.

BTW......have you ordered it yet?....come on....get your skates on...what you waiting for?? :)

EDIT

I have also found I get much better fps and consequently a better experience playing in SP mode unless the server has a low number of players on there. I get between 45 and 90 fps in SP, whereas I get anything from 15 to 35 fps on a busy server so I'm assuming it's either the server speed, my internet connection, my system or the amount of folks on the server that's bottle necking it. if it's dropping to 15-20 fps I normally come off the server as it's not good and spoils the experience.

Either way dburne, you should get a real good experience with your rift if you play SP exclusively.

Edited by bart

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Either way dburne, you should get a real good experience with your rift if you play SP exclusively.

Thanks so much for the great feedback, I really appreciate it! Good to know about external views, and I will be looking forward to doing a bail out just to check it out.

I should be ordering it on Tuesday , so should have it certainly before the end of the week. Really looking forward to the experience!

Don B

Sounds like a plan. Don't forget to let us know your impressions of it too :thumbup:

Sounds like a plan. Don't forget to let us know your impressions of it too :thumbup:

:thumbup:

I most certainly will!

Thanks,

Don B

I read this all with interest, I was a military pilot and now a B777 pilot. I liked the Rift so much I bought a laptop and take it away with me on every trip, I fly international. Anyway if you are flying WW2 stuff then the lack of IFF is an issue its still way fun but tricky to identify whose who. For anything else it is fantastic. I missed Fast Jet flying and the Rift bought it back to me :) . YOU are in the cockpit everything is legible enough. Honestly with the Rift you can get a pretty good feel for what it feels like to fly a military Jet. The g is missing but other than that the sense ofimmersion is great and with a Jetseat adding buffet and feedback it is truly an addictive experience. A mate who flew the F15e came over for a demo and I couldnt get him off the Rift for 90 minutes. I have spoken to a few people who complain about the resolution and yes it could be better but I have yet to demo it to a pilot who would then rather fly in 2D.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I guess that about sums it up...about the value of Rift! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

A promiss is a promiss. After 1 day gaming.

I am stunned, amazed, it's the next step forward in gaming. (i am gaming for 30+ years) I wanna be the whole day have the oculus on my head.

I see things in dcs alpha 2.0 i never mentioned earlier that they were there...

It is a bizar experience. Only thing i am now doiing is trying the best settings out of it.

When diving in your plane, you get that feeling in your stomach. Amazed that your brain get fooled!!!

I see there is not very much deep info for the rift.

Maybe some experienced users have tips or tricks about to get the most out of it. Thank you in advanced.

:D:pilotfly:

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

A promiss is a promiss. After 1 day gaming.

I am stunned, amazed, it's the next step forward in gaming. (i am gaming for 30+ years) I wanna be the whole day have the oculus on my head.

I see things in dcs alpha 2.0 i never mentioned earlier that they were there...

It is a bizar experience. Only thing i am now doiing is trying the best settings out of it.

When diving in your plane, you get that feeling in your stomach. Amazed that your brain get fooled!!!

I see there is not very much deep info for the rift.

Maybe some experienced users have tips or tricks about to get the most out of it. Thank you in advanced.

:D:pilotfly:

to get the best experience ,

Set Pixel density to 1.6 minimum 2.0 if you can.

turn any shadows off be it terrain or regular shadow , it eats Fps and it add nothing to the immersion.

MSAA : off

texture : high

visibility high

water detail high

civ traffic off

cockpit resolution : 1024 ( very important if you want crisp looking radar screen or MFD)

HDR, FLARE, Depth of field etc ...... i turn off .

trees and shrubs : off

radius pre-load : to the maximum.

with that setting i get 90 fps all the time and 60 to 45 when flying low over big city . i set my PD to 2.0

remember that the best experience with the VR is when FPS is high . so unnecessary settings such as flare and HDR is not important as having high FPS

to get the best experience ,

Set Pixel density to 1.6 minimum 2.0 if you can.

turn any shadows off be it terrain or regular shadow , it eats Fps and it add nothing to the immersion.

MSAA : off

texture : high

visibility high

water detail high

civ traffic off

cockpit resolution : 1024 ( very important if you want crisp looking radar screen or MFD)

HDR, FLARE, Depth of field etc ...... i turn off .

trees and shrubs : off

radius pre-load : to the maximum.

with that setting i get 90 fps all the time and 60 to 45 when flying low over big city . i set my PD to 2.0

remember that the best experience with the VR is when FPS is high . so unnecessary settings such as flare and HDR is not important as having high FPS

Thank you very much. I shall try it. :thumbup:

Curious what are your system specs?

Don B