Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

On 12/7/2022 at 4:53 PM, Nodak said:

Alt/Esc the game, go to WMR portal and open the 3D picture, your mouse will work in it, click close on whatever menu is stuck, go back into the game if your jet hasn't crashed yet and resume your sortie.

Okay, will try!

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

On 12/7/2022 at 4:53 PM, Nodak said:

Alt/Esc the game, go to WMR portal and open the 3D picture, your mouse will work in it, click close on whatever menu is stuck, go back into the game if your jet hasn't crashed yet and resume your sortie.

Negative, no "close" option...... This massive issue is getting out of hand. It just totally ruined another new DCS session entirely for me. Wasted another 10 minutes of my gaming-time to annoying issues like this.

image.png

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• 4 weeks later...

In case you guys haven't noticed, there have been some updates to WMR for SteamVR software recently that claim to fix some stability and performance issues.

May be worth checking out if you switched to OpenXR. As at least on my system with RTX4090, I get noticeably better FPS with SteamVR now than with OpenXR at the same 140% resolution on Reverb G2. Where OpenXR makes 80 with GPU loaded to the max, SteamVR can hold 90 fps with some room to spare. 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/719950/view/3680036899858715469?l=english

* Resolved a memory leak that would progressively fill video memory and cause crashes

* Improved video memory management for applications that allocate memory beyond their allowed budget

* Reduced video memory footprint for applications submitting very large images (eg: double-wide) or incorrectly using a different resolution for each eye

* Fixed crashes with certain OpenXR applications used through SteamVR (eg: Hubris)

* Fixed crashes when using the "Optimize rendering and improve GPU memory usage" option

* Fixed conditions where the transitions screen between applications would flicker

We have conducted testing with several games: Automobilista 2, Alien Isolation (MotherVR), Bonelab, Digital Combat Simulator, Skyrim VR, Project Cars 2, VR Chat, Half-Life: Alyx, No Man's Sky, Hubris, Blade & Sorcery, Deo VR, The Brookhaven Experiment, Ragnarok... and for all of these games we compared frame rates, frame times and memory usage with the Last-Known Good (LKG) version, and this new version performed equally or better in all of our testing.

1.jpg

Edited by some1
  • Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

8 hours ago, some1 said:

In case you guys haven't noticed, there have been some updates to WMR for SteamVR software recently that claim to fix some stability and performance issues.

May be worth checking out if you switched to OpenXR. As at least on my system with RTX4090, I get noticeably better FPS with SteamVR now than with OpenXR at the same 140% resolution on Reverb G2. Where OpenXR makes 80 with GPU loaded to the max, SteamVR can hold 90 fps with some room to spare. 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/719950/view/3680036899858715469?l=english

1.jpg

Very interesting!!

Specs: i7 13700KF @ 5.5, 64Gb RAM, RTX 4090, Pimax Crystal

On 1/9/2023 at 2:11 AM, some1 said:

1.jpg

I’ve run it through my test suite of around 15 different reproducible scenarios, some cpu and some GPU bound.  Some multiplayer and others also on a 4090 with 13900k at 6.2ghz. 
native for native in all cases 100% oxr res with oxr toolkit disabled vs steamVR at 100% global and 100% app.  
i tried reprojection on and off and compared all 4 setups. 

I did not see your claim of increased fps in steamVR come to reality in any scenario in a measurable way @more than 0.5ms cpu or GPU in a consistent way. 

HOWEVER this is still an amazing piece of work for steamVR.  Prior to this release there was a clear winner In OXR and now in terms of performance and clarity at default settings it basically makes no difference which compositor is being used.   

fantastic work to the steamVR team and windows mixed reality for streamVR team.  

where you do notice a difference is in the reprojection…. The steamVR one handles some limited scenarios much better than OXR for reasons I’m not able to determine.   The Apache rotor blades shapes and movement matches the shadow in steamVR but is just a broad sweeping “wiz” in OXR with reprojection on.    So if you like reprojection or are an Apache pilot… steam is prob the way to go.

Personally I prefer reprojection off and then ifs a dead heat performance / clarity wise. 

What will keep me with OXR right now are a few key things.  #1. Ease of launch and close without steam needing to be in the middle.  #2 the “Input smoothing” feature of OXR makes my streams buttery smooth with no VR “helmet shake” for my viewers.  #3. Color, contrast, hue and other controls in OXR Toolkit without the lag of reshade in steamVR and finally #4.built in scaler, fov, fixed focrared rendering and other controls end up giving OXR the performance and clarity edge again if you really want to tune things a lot. In my case this is done steady and I’m locked 90fps at 250% render res. with better color and no shakiness. 

for a new/casual user…. Just stick with steamVR. It is super efficient and smooth now and frankly once I turn off the FPS counter I just can’t tell the difference anymore on equal settings.

great job devs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

Thanks for the write up. Yeah, I don't know what combination of settings causes such difference on my system, but I did several test and it always came out like that. Back when I used RTX3080, both were about equal in performance. SteamVR always offered better reprojection quality, as you've pointed out. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

On 12/13/2022 at 11:37 PM, D4n said:

Negative, no "close" option...... This massive issue is getting out of hand. It just totally ruined another new DCS session entirely for me. Wasted another 10 minutes of my gaming-time to annoying issues like this.

image.png

Hi, I do not know if you have solved this but if you set WMR settings like below that will solve the problem of opening of WMR menu.. Hope that helps. Best regards.

null

image.png

Am 10.1.2023 um 11:50 schrieb DroptheHammer:

where you do notice a difference is in the reprojection…. The steamVR one handles some limited scenarios much better than OXR for reasons I’m not able to determine.   The Apache rotor blades shapes and movement matches the shadow in steamVR but is just a broad sweeping “wiz” in OXR with reprojection on.    So if you like reprojection or are an Apache pilot… steam is prob the way to go.

Thanks for posting this.

That is the reason i'm still sticking to SteamVR. On my Setup SteamVR handles reprojection much better than OpenXR.

So I hope SteamVR will still be supportet by ED in the future and/or OpenXR reprojection will be improved.
(or Multithreading/Vulcan/DLSS will allow my setup to consistently deliver 90 fps) 😉

Edited by Sile

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2023 at 8:45 PM, cashman75 said:

Hi, I do not know if you have solved this but if you set WMR settings like below that will solve the problem of opening of WMR menu.. Hope that helps. Best regards.

null

image.png

Thanks!!!! Seems the combination of reinstalling Mixed Reality, ED's patch about the OpenXR thing, and me having uninstalled "OpenXR for Mixed Reality" or so FIXED it! 😄 NOW, pressing Win key again closes that overlay! 😃 🥳 That experimental OpenXR-stuff really ruined a lot on Mixed Reality systems it seems 😛

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday everything was fine. Today, can't even get the headset to boot properly. Blue screen flickering in and out randomly, and the tracking pops in and out. It's never done this before, but is apparently fairly common based on a quick search. It's just so damn out of nowhere. It was fine YESTERDAY. Now this crap? I really should have bought an Index...

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 4 months later...

Do you have to run DCS in steam to use Steam VR?

Core i7-930 (2.8 OC to 3.85), ASUS Rampage II Extreme, XFX Radeon 5870, 6 Gigs MUSHKIN DDR3-1600 6-8-6-24, 128 GB Crucial C300 SSD, 500 GB Western 5400rpm Digital Green Drive,ASUS SATA 3 6gbps card.

53 minutes ago, Lucid484 said:

Do you have to run DCS in steam to use Steam VR?

No

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• BIGNEWY changed the title to Windows Mixed Reality Discussion
  • 3 months later...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

2 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

does this mean all WMR headsets will no longer function when windows drops support, or will openxr and/or steamvr still allow them to work in some fashion?  maybe @mbucchia could clarify what the implication of this is?  In the past microsoft had already said they would no longer develop/support the AR part WMR.

•  

mbucchia has said on his website posts that he is a Microsoft Employee. This announcement may have a bigger impact on his job than it will on our G2 headsets.  I hope the champion is ok.

• Like 2

PC Hardware: i9-12900k, RTX 3080 10GB, 32GB DDR5 4400MHz, NVME.2 Drives, Alienware 38" 3840x1600 144MHz Monitor, TrackIR Pro Clip, Pimax Crystal

Flight Controls: Winwing Orion 1 FA-18 Stick and Throttle HOTAS / Logitech Rudder Pedals

DCS Modules: Too many to list after the 15 year sale

14 minutes ago, Chief_Biv said:
    •  

mbucchia has said on his website posts that he is a Microsoft Employee. This announcement may have a bigger impact on his job than it will on our G2 headsets.  I hope the champion is ok.

This! 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

11 hours ago, Chief_Biv said:
    •  

Thanks! I haven't worked on WMR for months now, I've been moved to a completely different team a while ago.

So this has no impact on me. AFAIK no one is impacted employment-wise.

• Like 3

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

3 hours ago, mbucchia said:

Thanks! I haven't worked on WMR for months now, I've been moved to a completely different team a while ago.

So this has no impact on me. AFAIK no one is impacted employment-wise.

Great to hear that.

Do you know what Microsoft's announcement means for WMR Headset owners? Will our headsets be bricked or will there be a work around when the new Windows version is rolled out?

• Like 2

PC Hardware: i9-12900k, RTX 3080 10GB, 32GB DDR5 4400MHz, NVME.2 Drives, Alienware 38" 3840x1600 144MHz Monitor, TrackIR Pro Clip, Pimax Crystal

Flight Controls: Winwing Orion 1 FA-18 Stick and Throttle HOTAS / Logitech Rudder Pedals

DCS Modules: Too many to list after the 15 year sale

1 hour ago, Chief_Biv said:

Great to hear that.

Do you know what Microsoft's announcement means for WMR Headset owners? Will our headsets be bricked or will there be a work around when the new Windows version is rolled out?

This is what has been said publicly:

https://www.uploadvr.com/windows-mixed-reality-headset-support-end-date/

UploadVR reached out to Microsoft officially for answers. A company representative provided the following statement:

"As of Nov. 1, 2026 for consumers and Nov. 1, 2027 for commercial customers, Windows Mixed Reality will no longer be available for download via the Mixed Reality Portal app, Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR, and Steam VR beta, and we will discontinue support.

[...]

Existing Windows Mixed Reality devices will continue to work with Steam until users upgrade to a version of Windows that does not include Windows Mixed Reality."

So there you have it. After 1 November 2026, you'll no longer be able to download the Mixed Reality Portal app required to use Windows MR headsets, nor the SteamVR driver, so if you have the late 2024 Windows 11 update or newer you won't be able to set up the headset.

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

According to this article the build update for Windows 11 (24H2) will cease to support WMR

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-mixed-reality-headsets-no-longer-work-with-windows-11-version-24h2-and-newer/

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

2 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Perhaps a class action lawsuit is in the future.

If you read the EULA you clicked Agree to, I’m sure that’s not an option. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

10 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

If you read the EULA you clicked Agree to, I’m sure that’s not an option. 

No longer supporting a feature is one thing,  that's done all the time.  But actively making still functioning devices stop working via an effective kill switch is absolutely something looking into and could fall under consumer protection laws

• Like 1

System: Ryzen 5900x, G.Skill 3600 32GB, MSI 4090 suprim liquid X, samsung odyssey+ headset 

3 hours ago, sigfan86 said:

No longer supporting a feature is one thing,  that's done all the time.  But actively making still functioning devices stop working via an effective kill switch is absolutely something looking into and could fall under consumer protection laws

My guess is if you read those agreements on either the headset or Windows you’ll find that not going to be an option. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5