VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

Visual Issues Fix

For me it works. Performance increase is visible. Cleaned up all metashader etc. Alas, the trees and their shadows on Caucasus are black now. This is my biggest problem :-/

First, remove Kegety's Mod then go into the folder where you keep his files. Make any backups if necessary or desired.

Delete the following files from Kegety's Mod (only from the Mod, your original DCS equivalents for the files noted below need to be intact):

• Bazar\shaders\deferred\...
  • ...atmosphere.hlsl
  • ...ResolveDepth.fx
  • Bazar\shaders\enlight\...
  • ...Just DELETE THE WHOLE FOLDER

Then, go and delete your shaders as usual. If you still have problems, go into your [DCS Install Directory]\Mods\Terrains\[Terrain Name]\misc\metacache\ and delete the 'DCS' folder you find there (or back it up). Delete all other shaders and try again.

This works 100% for me but obviously there are a million variables at play. However, I had the same problem you did and this fixed a number of issues for me while retaining performance.

I've asked Kegetys to please post a 'Lite' version so folks like you can enjoy yourselves but, alas, no response. Still, thank you Kegetys!

Edited by kojdog
folder correction

Does anyone get longer loading times when using this mod compared to default?

Only when rebuilding the fxo and metashaders2 after a new patch push. Once those are rebuilt, it seems to be normal load speeds. Are you seeing a big diff?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

First, remove Kegety's Mod then go into the folder where you keep his files. Make any backups if necessary or desired.

Delete the following files from Kegety's Mod (only from the Mod, your original DCS equivalents for the files noted below need to be intact):

• Bazar\shaders\deferred\...
  • ...atmosphere.hlsl
  • ...ResolveDepth.fx
  • Bazar\shaders\enlight\...
  • ...Just DELETE THE WHOLE FOLDER

Then, go and delete your shaders as usual. If you still have problems, go into your [DCS Install Directory]\Mods\Terrains\[Terrain Name]\misc\metacache\ and delete the 'DCS' folder you find there (or back it up). Delete all other shaders and try again.

This works 100% for me but obviously there are a million variables at play. However, I had the same problem you did and this fixed a number of issues for me while retaining performance.

I've asked Kegetys to please post a 'Lite' version so folks like you can enjoy yourselves but, alas, no response. Still, thank you Kegetys!

Hmmm...thanks for the description. Alas it didn't work for me. I have a script which properly removes everything, but no luck with your way of doing it. I tried some stuff myself now. The file that causes problems for me is the Decoder.hlsl. When removed, the trees are green. Alas some textures have wierd colors now.

Anyone some ideas? Or is it just working on your sides?

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2

The mod makes a noticeable difference to FPS for me but also results in a weird rim around my view as shown in the attached image. I am not talking about the black rim as a I think that is the mod reduces the rendered area but rather the distorted image rim. When I remove the mod, the rim goes as shown in the second attachment. Anyone know how to rectify this problem?

I have never had this issue with previous versions of the mod.

Screen_190126_002454.thumb.png.969803ceb6bffca0722f5610e56d42d1.png

Screen_190126_003901.thumb.png.a571e5e995f482b87004c869132c13c6.png

Edited by Jacks

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

The mod makes a noticeable difference to FPS for me but also results in a weird rim around my view as shown in the attached image. When I remove the mod, the rim goes. Anyone know how to rectify this problem?

What about read the first post?

:doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hotas TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder | Oculus Rift | MSI Z97 Gaming 3| i5-4690K oc 4.5Ghz | 16Gb ddr3 | GTX 1080 Ti | W10 64Bits

Hmmm...thanks for the description. Alas it didn't work for me. I have a script which properly removes everything, but no luck with your way of doing it. I tried some stuff myself now. The file that causes problems for me is the Decoder.hlsl. When removed, the trees are green. Alas some textures have wierd colors now.

Anyone some ideas? Or is it just working on your sides?

OK - Got it working. I deleted the wrong shader caches. So it kept some concurrent shades, which lead to the black trees. kojdog made a mini mod, which works also very good.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303288/

Thanks for the help!

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2

So, using your mod if you put yourself in the same conditions as this video, what's the average and minimum fps?

In terms of CPU/GPU, I have a similar set up to you (according to the title of your YT video), although I have the Vive Pro which has 80% more pixels to push around. I just don't use this mod as I see very little benefit in fps terms, and a lot of visual artifacts, e.g. the shallows around coasts, sun, grass, makes Normandy very cartoony and washed out, etc.

I occasionally re-install it, and then remember why I don't use it.

Might be different for you, however. Just try it out, it's easy to uninstall.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

is last version Download for DCS World 2.5.4.25729

compatible with last patch?

2.5.4.26552 ??????

AMD 5800 x3d Ekwb liquid cooled - 32 GB 2 x 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C14D-32GTZ - rtx 3080 Asus Ekwb liquid cooled - Asus Dark Hero X570 - M2 Nvme 1tb 980 pro - M2 Nvme 1tb 970 evo - some other HD

Reverb G2 VR headset  + Leap motion hand controller 

VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Modern Combat Edition’ Ultimate - Extended + Custom made Speed "bugfeedback" stiffening joystick with arduino and DCS Bios - Trhustmaster Wharthog throttle -MFG Crosswinf pedals -Simshaker controling a Jetseat and 2 bassshakers

In terms of CPU/GPU, I have a similar set up to you (according to the title of your YT video), although I have the Vive Pro which has 80% more pixels to push around. I just don't use this mod as I see very little benefit in fps terms, and a lot of visual artifacts, e.g. the shallows around coasts, sun, grass, makes Normandy very cartoony and washed out, etc.

I occasionally re-install it, and then remember why I don't use it.

Might be different for you, however. Just try it out, it's easy to uninstall.

so seeing the situation I would say that it is not time to buy a new pc to use the vr, can you confirm?

I can not understand, is it a hardware limit or is it dcs that fails to exploit it properly? What is it like to do 30 / 45fps with vr? it removes the feeling of fluidity as if we were in a normal screen?

The thing with VR is that until you experience it, there is no way to explain it. We bitch about artifacts or small nitpicky things that, to us IN VR, experience. FPS is totally a personal thing. I never bother looking at it but some do. The thing is that once you put on the HMD, you are IN the game. Without the HMD, you are WATCHING the game. 99% of folks with VR would not go back to a screen. The experience is that different. Waiting to get VR is exactly the same as waiting to get the best computer. There is always a bigger, better, badder one on the horizon. Regardless, you can't make the decision, or have an opinion, until you experience it. Jump in the pool, you will find the water is just fine!

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

The thing with VR is that until you experience it, there is no way to explain it. We bitch about artifacts or small nitpicky things that, to us IN VR, experience. FPS is totally a personal thing. I never bother looking at it but some do. The thing is that once you put on the HMD, you are IN the game. Without the HMD, you are WATCHING the game. 99% of folks with VR would not go back to a screen. The experience is that different. Waiting to get VR is exactly the same as waiting to get the best computer. There is always a bigger, better, badder one on the horizon. Regardless, you can't make the decision, or have an opinion, until you experience it. Jump in the pool, you will find the water is just fine!

I know it's an incredible experience, I think that vr is the future of the flight simulation, certainly it is for the combat sims. Although in the future we will have better. Currently flying with the vr and having everything on low does not make the graphics too "simple" not detailed without shadows and antialiasing? or dcs is also good at low?

I know it's an incredible experience, I think that vr is the future of the flight simulation, certainly it is for the combat sims. Although in the future we will have better. Currently flying with the vr and having everything on low does not make the graphics too "simple" not detailed without shadows and antialiasing? or dcs is also good at low?

One's opinion about whether reduced VR graphics are acceptable or not is TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE. From forum posts I have read, as well as my own experience, the vast majority of DCS sim pilots who have experienced VR using aggressive settings on a high performance PC judge that the 3D VR enhancement more than compensates for the reduced resolution and frame rates.

I agree to 100%. Well spoken sir!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Founder of the -=VDS=-

:pilotfly:

...makes Normandy very cartoony and washed out.

Quoting this part.

Normandy was not brought up to the current 2.5 standards visually. So it looks cartoony and washed out to all of us. Trees/hedge rows are ugh and hard on FPS.

One's opinion about whether reduced VR graphics are acceptable or not is TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE. From forum posts I have read, as well as my own experience, the vast majority of DCS sim pilots who have experienced VR using aggressive settings on a high performance PC judge that the 3D VR enhancement more than compensates for the reduced resolution and frame rates.

I'm sure many do not come back after using vr, but I know one who came back because he could not see the writings in the MDFs and did not recognize the airplanes at a distance, he also saw blurred compared to a monitor. Honestly I could not use dcs without seeing the instrument clarified.

So someone else can confirm if the instruments like mdf are readable remotely etc ..?

I'm sure many do not come back after using vr, but I know one who came back because he could not see the writings in the MDFs and did not recognize the airplanes at a distance, he also saw blurred compared to a monitor. Honestly I could not use dcs without seeing the instrument clarified.

So someone else can confirm if the instruments like mdf are readable remotely etc ..?

With Rift the helis are fairly good they are not picture perfect but readable for me what aircraft in particular as there can be differences between modules.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Basically, it comes down to your kit, and its ability to run high levels of MSAA and PD.

I have a pretty powerful system, and the Vive Pro has 80% more pixels than the Rift or the Vive, and with MSAA at x2 and PD up to 1.8, my cockpit dials are perfectly readable.

In fact, when I run on my monitor in 4K, I find that I am zooming in quite often due to the smaller area of the 2D environment, even though I have a 32" screen.

I find seeing ground targets a bit easier in VR, and also because you are 'in the environment' rather than 'looking at it', I find it easier to look around. With TrackIR, you always have to be staring at the same piece of monitor glass, no matter where the instruments, etc. are. Much more natural in VR.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Basically, it comes down to your kit, and its ability to run high levels of MSAA and PD.

I have a pretty powerful system, and the Vive Pro has 80% more pixels than the Rift or the Vive, and with MSAA at x2 and PD up to 1.8, my cockpit dials are perfectly readable.

In fact, when I run on my monitor in 4K, I find that I am zooming in quite often due to the smaller area of the 2D environment, even though I have a 32" screen.

I find seeing ground targets a bit easier in VR, and also because you are 'in the environment' rather than 'looking at it', I find it easier to look around. With TrackIR, you always have to be staring at the same piece of monitor glass, no matter where the instruments, etc. are. Much more natural in VR.

Thanks for the reply, this is a useful testimony. I still have a few questions to ask you.

At what distance are you from the monitor (32inch) when you use it?

You play 4k in vr right?

Can you give me a screenshots of the graphic settings?

What are your fps, minimum and average?

So you said to see the ground units better, the sightings of airplanes are the same?

The image is a little blurred in vr compared to the monitor?