Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

I just got the rift S so I can compare it to my O+. And I believe it clearer than the O+.

But I have one problem, when I move my head in the cockpit it is not moving independently of the cockpit, meaning if lean to the side or forward the move in the same direction. This was in the F14, in the F18 I could not test it as I have an even weirder problem there. My seat position is too far up and to the right. And the seat position movement buttons (Ctrl+num pad keys) do not respond and do not move the seat position.

One note, I did not do the guardian setup as I use in seated position only, that might have something to do with it.

I read people talking about the oculus tray tool, do I need to download this separately? I ran through the setup and it seems to work well.

Any ideas for either or both problems?

Peter

Edited by DutchCoolHand

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like your rift isn't centering properly, or maybe bad tracking? I would setup a room guardian and just turn off the boundaries in the options screen.

I would agree that compared to the Vive pro the screen isn't sharper, but the screen door effect is better. The picture feels "Fuller."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My seat position is too far up and to the right. And the seat position movement buttons (Ctrl+num pad keys) do not respond and do not move the seat position.

Try to recentering your view with the numpad 5 key, that works for me if my view is screwed up in DCS with the Rift S. I don't know if you need the oculus tray tool for this to work but i installed it so the oculus software is not starting anytime i start a game even without the Rift connected to my PC.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Try to recentering your view with the numpad 5 key, that works for me if my view is screwed up in DCS with the Rift S. I don't know if you need the oculus tray tool for this to work but i installed it so the oculus software is not starting anytime i start a game even without the Rift connected to my PC.

The numpad keys work in the F14 to move the viewing point and I have linked the VR center function to my Hotas. the numpad 5 recenters it to but does not change the view behaviour as described. I will test setting the Guardian as soon as the bunch of teenagers are out of my basement, my son has friends over.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

The Problem with my old Rift CV1 is, that I have to be cross-eyed very much for near things - this results in headaches. In A-10C it is like I have to look at something just 5cm in front of my eyes... Is this better in the Rift S?

Ryzen 2700X, 32GByte RAM, GeForce 1080Ti, TrackIR

I’ve been having all kinds of trouble with mine. Plugging in and out restarting etc and getting random display blackouts with the rift. Pulled plug from rift and reinserted until I heard an audible click of the cable going in and so far all is well. Thinking either the cable has a tendency to work it’s way out or the factory is not installing the cables correctly. I was surprised how much force was required and the sound of the click when it snapped in. Been working great since I did that. So far anyway. Either way this product has got some technical issues that need resolved. Rift 1 worked great out of the box. This one seems to have some QC issues...

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

So I've heard much of the improved cockpit , but is there any improvement in ground target spotting with the Rift S ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Definitely. I don't mistake crates for ground vehicles any more.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Definitely. I don't mistake crates for ground vehicles any more.

:) Thanks !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

So my IPD is 71.5 and honestly the Rift has been good for me. The blacks aren't as good but it's so much more comfortable than the Vive pro I've been using. Now I do use glasses so I can't use the whole view regardless, but it's so much more comfortable I'm sticking with the Rift S until the reverb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Sephroth,

Just thinking out-loud here, but it may make sense that the farther the lens is from your face the more IPD tolerant the picture is. When you eye is farther back, your central FOV will cover a larger percentage of the lens and sweet spot. Comparing that to being closer with a narrower central FOV of the lens with less of the sweet spot visible from your offset position to the center of the lens.

This has probably been talked about, and again, just thinking out-load, I may be way off base here.

Here is a rough illustration from what I remember about refraction.

Miles

2029705639_RiftSSweetSpot.thumb.jpg.4a8090d8ce8fe730ad862e829605c288.jpg

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

The numpad keys work in the F14 to move the viewing point and I have linked the VR center function to my Hotas. the numpad 5 recenters it to but does not change the view behaviour as described. I will test setting the Guardian as soon as the bunch of teenagers are out of my basement, my son has friends over.

I have set up the guardian boundaries and ran a repair on DCS and no change what so ever.....:joystick:

EDIT: I tried it with the oculus f18 game and the same happens. I move my head and the whole view moves, not my head within the space. Could it be a tracking problem? And just to be 100% sure I don't need base stations for the rift s right

Edited by DutchCoolHand

I have set up the guardian boundaries and ran a repair on DCS and no change what so ever.....:joystick:

EDIT: I tried it with the oculus f18 game and the same happens. I move my head and the whole view moves, not my head within the space. Could it be a tracking problem? And just to be 100% sure I don't need base stations for the rift s right

You mention the Odyssey + so I guess you know that you need a reasonable amount of lighting in your room for good tracking..but just in case you don't...

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Definitely a tracking issue.

How is the lighting in your room?

And no, no base station. Just headset and two controllers.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Definitely a tracking issue.

How is the lighting in your room?

And no, no base station. Just headset and two controllers.

most of the light is behind me so I turned around and used the VR recenter, nothing changes. I move my head and the image of the cockpit moves away an equal amount to my movement. I am going to try to make a video of it

EDIT:

. you will see as I line up behind the other A10 I put him behind the canopy railing. At least that is the way it looks for me as I am blind in my left eye. Usually, the recording happens from the left screen in the headset. To normally see the other plane again I would lower my view or lean to the left. You can see in the video that there is some movement visible but I am not moving from the center of the screen.
Edited by DutchCoolHand

And tell me if this is normal when I put the Rift S headset down and pick it up again the background which normally is the house is all static, as if I am watching a TV without signal. I was putting it down on the face part do aiming down. It that not the right way to do it. Whenever I place the controllers down and later pick them up again their position is completely wrong, sometimes my hands are reversed

Running DCS full screen ?

I move my head and the whole view moves, not my head within the space. Could it be a tracking problem? And just to be 100% sure I don't need base stations for the rift s right

I've had this both in the CV1 and the Rift S, definitely a tracking problem. Never quite got to the bottom of it, but my hunch was it had some connection to where the controllers and HMD were when you fired up the headset, so that with the CV1, I always moved back a bit so that the sensors and touch controllers had a really good view of the headset before moving closer to my joystick and pedals once it had started.

With the S, it seemed to happen more if I put the headset on, then scrabbled around for the controllers after the software launched. By launching oculus software first, then making sure that the headset and controllers can see each other and pressing all the buttons as I put the headset on it seemed to lose tracking less.

Very unscientific I know, but it might help.

Restarting the oculus software from the settings>beta tab while the headset was on my head also helped to fix some of the many gremlins.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Yesterday, Oculus Home (beta) got an update which said it would reduce the "display issues". However, I still got those white flashes. Did you guys have more luck with this?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Yesterday, Oculus Home (beta) got an update which said it would reduce the "display issues". However, I still got those white flashes. Did you guys have more luck with this?

After enabling the beta channel and updating the firmware of my rift s I didn't get black outs anymore with me second monitor connected. But the white flashes still occours. The update is an enhancement, but I hope they will fix the white flashes also soon.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

I don't recall seeing an update for the PTC yesterday?

What is your version number?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I don't recall seeing an update for the PTC yesterday?

What is your version number?

Yeah, maybe you got it even earlier. Version is Oculus App Version 1.38.0.255343 (1.38.0.255343)

Changelog said:

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

So I was wandering if the final item should reduce the white flashes. But I still noticed them on my end after the update.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Yeah, maybe you got it even earlier. Version is Oculus App Version 1.38.0.255343 (1.38.0.255343)

Changelog said:

So I was wandering if the final item should reduce the white flashes. But I still noticed them on my end after the update.

Yeah I have that update thanks for checking.

I get an occasional white flash, but it is pretty rare.

Don B

Anyone suffering from micro disconnection of the Rift S built in mic? When I open Vaicom pro I can see a little mic icon flashing red ocassionally telling that the mic is not recognized, this is very random.

Then the other day my mic was completely gone and Ihad to unplug the USB and plug it to a different USB in order to be recognized again.

I'm not sure if its an early bug solved by software or it could be a faulty unit.