Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

I don't experience any tracking problems, except when I start in a lit room and over the course of a session it gets dark outside and I end up (unknowingly) in a dark room. With interior lights turned on, problem is solved.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the Rift S and apart from the occasional minor white flash which is barely noticeable, every now and then the view shifts - have to re-centre my VR view back to in the cockpit. Only happens in DCS? Never happened with the CV1.

In your opinion is the Rift S a worth while upgrade from the CV1? Any troubles/concerns getting it to NZ?

I'm really happy with my CV1, if the cockpit was a bit more readable it would be great. Am a little worried about the hardware and getting stuck with a lemon though.

In your opinion is the Rift S a worth while upgrade from the CV1? Any troubles/concerns getting it to NZ?

I'm really happy with my CV1, if the cockpit was a bit more readable it would be great. Am a little worried about the hardware and getting stuck with a lemon though.

Yes I would say the upgrade to Rift S is worth it, especially as I intend to chuck the CV1 on TM and recoup at least 1/2 the cost of it.

The cockpit is much more readable - I am actually shocked at how clear and sharp the text is on the Harrier displays and HUD now. Cockpit panel labels are a bit clearer also so less leaning required. The performance is pretty good too - better than the CV1 I am pretty sure - GPU was working less for same settings, prob due to 40 fps not 45? Also possible to hit 80 more often instead of 90 - the drop is not noticeable either. I can also wear my glasses inside the HS which is nice, but only makes a minor improvement as my eyesight is not that bad - still going to get some prescription inserts thou (which look to fit much better than the CV1 option) to ensure the max crispness.

The sound is OK to be honest after the latest update - easy to use headphones thou as you just place them on the unit itself then take off/put on the unit and position them on your ears. Personally I am going to try a couple of little 'sound deflectors' velcroed to the strap to direct more sound into my ears, as that made a difference also.

No worries getting to NZ as the price includes all import taxes etc, and gets here in around a week as it's only coming from Hong Kong.

So long as you are aware there is a random white flash every now and then (which is not as bad as the one I hired for a week to try out - upgraded firmware/updates?), and the weird view resetting bug with DCS - but I am sure these will both get fixed in time. My CV1 has been faultless for a couple of years so pretty confident in the quality.

If you want to try one out before you buy just hire one for a week from Graham at VR Rentals - https://www.virtualrealityrental.co.nz/index.php

I made sure I tried all the ones I was interested in first for a week, so The CV1 and also the Vive Pro, O+, neither which I liked, and the Rift S which I subsequently bought.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me the Rift S was a "desperate upgrade" from the CV1. I want(ed) a HP Reverb but...

However, the Rift S is GOOD! It is much better than expected, after reading all those mediocre or even bad reviews. For DCS it's worth the upgrade for sure.

Only Audio sucks. I got me a nice solution from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3615447 where you can use a Koss Porta Pro with the Rift S. Cheap solution, great sound. And comfy, too.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

For me the Rift S was a "desperate upgrade" from the CV1. I want(ed) a HP Reverb but...

However, the Rift S is GOOD! It is much better than expected, after reading all those mediocre or even bad reviews. For DCS it's worth the upgrade for sure.

Only Audio sucks. I got me a nice solution from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3615447 where you can use a Koss Porta Pro with the Rift S. Cheap solution, great sound. And comfy, too.

Good isn't it? I'm mighty impressed with mine and I can't help but smile at some of the reviews of Reverb and Index where pilots are getting all excited about reading all the dials at normal seated position. I'm thinking, well, I can clearly read them all like that with my S too! :lol:

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Yeah I ordered it on release day - very reluctantly! I was not happy when details of the Rift S were made available. But I used Amazon Prime account and knew I could return it if needed.

I was quite pleasantly surprised when I go it up and running. Been using it daily ever since. And with latest 1.39 PTC software tracking for the controllers is splendid. May consider a Reverb down the road some, but really not sure it would be enough of an upgrade over my Rift S to justify the dollars.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah I ordered it on release day - very reluctantly! I was not happy when details of the Rift S were made available. But I used Amazon Prime account and knew I could return it if needed.

I was quite pleasantly surprised when I go it up and running. Been using it daily ever since. And with latest 1.39 PTC software tracking for the controllers is splendid. May consider a Reverb down the road some, but really not sure it would be enough of an upgrade over my Rift S to justify the dollars.

My thoughts exactly.

I had the Reverb and loved it. Returned it because of the issues (hated to do it because it's such a great headset). Couldn't go without VR so grabbed a Rift S off of Amazon last week. The res is not as good as the Reverb, but if you ask me, the res is not worth the 250 dollar premium. The S actually stunned me on how good it looks. Wearing glasses is not a problem, and the headset is actually quite comfortable (I have a meat head, lol).

I won't be giving up the S when they get the Reverb sorted out. Instead, I'm keeping the S and will wait for the next gens.

Geez , you guys are making me re-evaluate my Index plan . S would doubtless be kinder to my 1070 ...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Geez , you guys are making me re-evaluate my Index plan . S would doubtless be kinder to my 1070 ...

Ohhh just do it! You know you want to!

:D

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You're killing me ! :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yea this is because the Cv1 used the usb sensors while the rift S sensors which are internal, depend on light. Make sure there is enough light in your room.

Yes I am aware of that, I have 2x 60W 50Hz downlights in a my 10m x 10m games room. I even re-fit my monitor mount to my sim rig for some more reference points for the cameras. I guess I need some more pictures on the walls? I suppose some brighter lights might be in order...but trying to avoid having blazing bright light seeping in the nose gap if possible lol.

Just interested that I only have tracking issues like that in DCS....

I won't be giving up the S when they get the Reverb sorted out. Instead, I'm keeping the S and will wait for the next gens.

Exactly the same boat as me, but I was waiting for the Reverb in NZ - then just went stuff it and bought the Rift S which will hold me over nicely till the 'real' Gen 2 headsets come out. By which time we might have a GPU with some decent muscle as well..

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I am aware of that, I have 2x 60W 50Hz downlights in a my 10m x 10m games room. I even re-fit my monitor mount to my sim rig for some more reference points for the cameras. I guess I need some more pictures on the walls? I suppose some brighter lights might be in order...but trying to avoid having blazing bright light seeping in the nose gap if possible lol.

I doubt it is the cameras or the lighting, I use my Rift S in a room with only about a 60 watt bulb - maybe 80w. Odd that it only happens in DCS.

Don B

Exactly the same boat as me, but I was waiting for the Reverb in NZ - then just went stuff it and bought the Rift S which will hold me over nicely till the 'real' Gen 2 headsets come out. By which time we might have a GPU with some decent muscle as well..

I've always had it happen to me in dcs when there was not enough light in the room, but mainly when using the original Odyssey. The Cv1 obviously didn't have any issues as it didn't depend on light for the tracking sensors as much.

I guess it helps if you are near a window frame? As that helps the headset make out that it's a room.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

In DCS I don't know how well a 1070 is going to cut it with a Rift S. I had a great overclocked 1070 that ran my CV1 and original Vive fine in DCS, but with the Vive pro the 1070 couldn't cut it, ended up with a RTX2080. Runs great with the Rift S too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In DCS I don't know how well a 1070 is going to cut it with a Rift S. I had a great overclocked 1070 that ran my CV1 and original Vive fine in DCS, but with the Vive pro the 1070 couldn't cut it, ended up with a RTX2080. Runs great with the Rift S too.

You may well be right . I have been looking at cards . Kinda excited about the 2070 S . Of course i won't know until i have a headset in hand , i hope the 1070 will be adequate as I would like to upgrade cpu/motherboard , but if not i'll put that off . Then there is a collective . I should take up a less expensive hobby-like heroin !

You may well be right . I have been looking at cards . Kinda excited about the 2070 S . Of course i won't know until i have a headset in hand , i hope the 1070 will be adequate as I would like to upgrade cpu/motherboard , but if not i'll put that off . Then there is a collective . I should take up a less expensive hobby-like heroin !

Tell me about it. In six months DCS has been my excuse for a Vive pro, rift S, RTX2080, and a MSI Meg MB i9-9900k combo. Ouch.

For those with light and tracking issues I just noticed a setting in the oculus software where you can tell it the frequency of lights you have in your room. try playing with that.

I have a single overhead light with 2 LED 6000K blubs and haven't had any issues.

I guess it helps if you are near a window frame? As that helps the headset make out that it's a room.

Yes my game rig is next to the window...with the curtains pulled so the window frame is obviously not visible.

For those with light and tracking issues I just noticed a setting in the oculus software where you can tell it the frequency of lights you have in your room. try playing with that.

I have a single overhead light with 2 LED 6000K blubs and haven't had any issues.

Yes I have read about possible issues with lightbulb freq etc which is why I specifically went out and bought old-skool standard 50Hz light bulbs, which Oculus has recognized at 50Hz while set to Auto.

I actually read you shouldn't use the LED bulbs as you have.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Has anyone moved from an Odyssey (the OG, not the +) to the Rift S - if so, can you give me a quick pros/cons?

I was worried the Rift S would be a side-grade for me, but the Odyssey tracking has been annoying me and I'd like some more visual fidelity. I was considering the Index but it's not available internationally (and I'm not sure it's worth $600 more), and I can't get the Reverb as I'll need to stick at least 6ft extensions on any headset and the Reverb doesn't play nicely. I'm wondering if I should just grab the Rift S now and then wait for the next gen / cable lengths / wireless to catch up later.

Has anyone moved from an Odyssey (the OG, not the +) to the Rift S - if so, can you give me a quick pros/cons?

I was worried the Rift S would be a side-grade for me, but the Odyssey tracking has been annoying me and I'd like some more visual fidelity. I was considering the Index but it's not available internationally (and I'm not sure it's worth $600 more), and I can't get the Reverb as I'll need to stick at least 6ft extensions on any headset and the Reverb doesn't play nicely. I'm wondering if I should just grab the Rift S now and then wait for the next gen / cable lengths / wireless to catch up later.

Even the Odyssey has a higher resolution than rift S on paper. That's what I have now. Some say it's not all that matters. The lenses are newer in the rift S so visuals may be clear but the panels are not oled so the colors won't pop as much as they do in the Odyssey.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Currently I've got a overclocked 3770k and 1080 card. I do plan to upgrade but planning to wait a bit longer. If I got a Rift S now would my system be able to handle DCS ok? I just play single player so don't mind making some settings sacrifices. I tried VR briefly before and found that I didn't have any issues once FPS was around 40.

Currently I've got a overclocked 3770k and 1080 card. I do plan to upgrade but planning to wait a bit longer. If I got a Rift S now would my system be able to handle DCS ok? I just play single player so don't mind making some settings sacrifices. I tried VR briefly before and found that I didn't have any issues once FPS was around 40.
You wont have any problem. If any you will need to play with PD option lower than 1.5. But i think the experience will be good. I was playing perfectly with a gtx1070 before moving to a 1080ti.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

I've signed up to the beta program with my Rift S, but my firmware is still at 1.37. I think there have been updates since (maybe to 1.39?). This was a few days ago with numerous reboots since.

Is there a way to force the firmware update?

Thanks in advance.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Opt in to beta it will update to the beta then opt out and it will update itself again it take a while but it worked for me when I got a corrupted install once.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses