Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Yeah , hearing a lot of Rift S and Reverb negatives . Fingers crossed that the Index delivers...otherwise I'll stick with my trusty CV1 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the Rift S has four basic problems compared to the CV1:

1) the mic stops working when being used by an app such as VAICOM and won't work again until you unplug the USB connector and plug it back in.

2) white noise periodically appears in place of image (not very frequent, but at least once a night).

3) head tracking base reference point periodically shifts to one side, often when mission first starts, but at other random times, too.

4) system loses guardian settings or other such mumbo jumbo and I have to put batteries in the touch hand controllers to recalibrate the forward reference and ground level even though I have guardian safety limits disabled.

I playing DCS exclusively with my Rift S since end of May and have never encountered any of these issues. I am also using VIACOM with Voice Attack. My Rift S just worked right out of the box without any problems. The only criticism I have is that the batteries in the controllers do not last long (I had to change them in the last days for the first time) even though I did barely use them.

I playing DCS exclusively with my Rift S since end of May and have never encountered any of these issues. I am also using VIACOM with Voice Attack. My Rift S just worked right out of the box without any problems. The only criticism I have is that the batteries in the controllers do not last long (I had to change them in the last days for the first time) even though I did barely use them.

Pretty much same here, I do however get a very brief white flash on occasion - not often at all and not a deal breaker for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

After saving up my pennies and reading thru all the threads on the topic of the Rift S. I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. Yesterday my 2080 Ti and Rift S arrived. still trying to figure out the best settings - but so far I am enjoying the nice upgrade from the CV1. I can actually read the instruments without my contacts or glasses. The res is SO much better coming from the CV1. :thumbup:

I have only been using the new gear for a couple of hours now - so I have yet to experience some of the issues I have ready others may be having but im keeping an eye out for them and will definitely report back if they come up.

so what are of the best settings you guys are using to get the most out of your card and the rift? :book:

attachment.php?attachmentid=212824&stc=1&d=1561727624

20190628_075513.thumb.jpg.fcc863dd1a2791eebfbab3776d2a3bd3.jpg

Coming Soon...
The Fraternity Returns : https://thefraternitysim.com/

Congrats. I have had mine for a month and still like it alot. I am running PD 1.0, med textures, shadows flat, 4x msaa, 16x anisotropic. Runs smooth. I am using the rift public test beta so getting regular software updates. Still getting the white flashes once in a while though, but not a big deal.

Hello dear fellow flighters!:)

I promised you a more complete view on the Rift S when I last wrote on this forum. Since then it has gone a couple of weeks and many of you have given your opinions.

I have not much to add to the general views. I like it. And will keep it.

I have an IPD of 69 and had problems in the beginning with blur effects outside a very small (compared to the CV1) sweet spot that I thought had to do with my IPD. It turned out to be a problem with the vertical tilt. Having the halo in the position it felt natural from the beginning, I have now adjusted the over head band (or what you call it) so the thing sits more "up" on my head. And that seems to have fixed the small sweet spot.

Conclusion: It was no problem with the horizontal position, it was the vertical position that gave me the blurriness. :smartass:

Other than that I have bought a JBL Tune 500 on ear headphones for 299 SEK (approx 30 bucks). Suits well with the Rift S halo (at least on my head) and descent sound for that money.

Best regards

Michael

Edited by ctd01

Hi

I agree with above, my experience as well.

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Anyone upgraded from Odyssey+ to Rift S? Was it worth it?

I own both, not worth it at all. Neither way. They are pretty much equal in DCS.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

Latest version of Oculus Home via the Public Test Channel (v1.39) has done wonders for controller tracking close to the face. Not a factor so much for DCS, but for other games this is a huge improvement.

No change to the occurrence or frequency of the white flashes though.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Regarding the white flashes, is there any comment by Oculus (I dont follow their forums regularly)?

Is it even known at this point whether it is a hardware or software issue?

(As many have mentioned, it is not really a deal breaker but it would be nice to know the origin to potentially take further actions, i.e. eventually return for fixed hardware or just wait for software improvement.)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Regarding the white flashes, is there any comment by Oculus (I dont follow their forums regularly)?

Is it even known at this point whether it is a hardware or software issue?

(As many have mentioned, it is not really a deal breaker but it would be nice to know the origin to potentially take further actions, i.e. eventually return for fixed hardware or just wait for software improvement.)

They have acknowledged it's an issue and that they are looking into it. I haven't really seen any more official details than that on its root cause.

On reddit there has been all sorts of speculation on what causes it, but nothing definitive.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

They have acknowledged it's an issue and that they are looking into it. I haven't really seen any more official details than that on its root cause.

On reddit there has been all sorts of speculation on what causes it, but nothing definitive.

Thanks mate :thumbup:

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Hi

I agree with above, my experience as well.

Neal

Anyone upgraded from Odyssey+ to Rift S? Was it worth it?

Rift S has a much sharper image than the O+, just for that it is worth the upgrade, the sweet spot is larger. I can see gauges much more clearly in the Rift S. Would not go back to the O+

Black levels are better on the O+ and it has less SDE. (But the sharper image of the Rift S makes text more easily readable to me.)

O+ has manual IPD, Rift S in software. This really doesn't bother me because I know my IPD but I can see where getting it set perfect can be a pain if you don't know it. Also the minimum IPD I had on the O+ was 60.4, the Rift S is much lower than that as well.

Comfort Rift S has the O+ beat here too. The O+ is hard to adjust so that you don't get pressure on the front of your head.

Tracking the Rift S is better with more cameras, smoother and loses track less easily.

Sound, the O+ wins handily...Rift S I recommend the Mantis headphones, clip right on. Do that and it's on par with the O+

I returned my O+ for the Rift S and I would do it again....now just to wait until my index gets here in a few months lol

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

Latest version of Oculus Home via the Public Test Channel (v1.39) has done wonders for controller tracking close to the face. Not a factor so much for DCS, but for other games this is a huge improvement.

No change to the occurrence or frequency of the white flashes though.

Yes I am also on the 1.39 PTC and noticed the same, nice improvement to tracking especially holding the controllers close to face as you mention.

My white flashes are so quick and do not happen often, they hardly bother me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi Don,

Do you know if Oculus have stated if the white flashes issue is due to hardware or software?

I watched a youtube review that mentioned the issue was due to a faulty cable which is a bit of a worry, but wondered if it could be oculus just buying for time.

The white flashing issue is about the only thing holding me off from buying it. Especially if it's a hardware issue as you can be sure any unit I purchase would have the defect, and being from NZ it would be almost impossible to return.

Hi Don,

Do you know if Oculus have stated if the white flashes issue is due to hardware or software?

I watched a youtube review that mentioned the issue was due to a faulty cable which is a bit of a worry, but wondered if it could be oculus just buying for time.

The white flashing issue is about the only thing holding me off from buying it. Especially if it's a hardware issue as you can be sure any unit I purchase would have the defect, and being from NZ it would be almost impossible to return.

The only thing Oculus have officially stated regarding the brief white flashes is they are looking into it.

I can say in the 1.39 PTC how often they happen for me has certainly dropped , I can go for couple hours or longer now and not even see one. And it is so quick, if I happen to be blinking at that time I probably would not see it either.

I see it now as a very minor thing, but would be nice if it is totally eradicated.

Don B

The audio pops annoy me more than the occasional white flash. The audio glitches happen a lot more often ...

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

The audio pops annoy me more than the occasional white flash. The audio glitches happen a lot more often ...

Hmm, haven't had any audio glitches with mine. First I've heard of that.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Hmm, haven't had any audio glitches with mine. First I've heard of that.

Multiple threads about it on the Oculus support forum. Seems hit and miss, some have it some, don't. Which has me concerned that it is a hardware issue.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Just chiming in about almost a month' use of Rift S.

No problems with sound, controllers or whatever else. Thing works like a charm.

Only issue is occasional "while screen flash", but this is common to everyone and normally doesn't bother me.

The only problem I have is my graphics card. With PD of 1.2 and no AA, I see shimmer and aliasing everywhere, but I'll have to live with this for now until next upgrade.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Has anyone had the issue of the view re-setting itself just outside the aircraft to the right of the cockpit?

Just got the Rift S and apart from the occasional minor white flash which is barely noticeable, every now and then the view shifts - have to re-centre my VR view back to in the cockpit. Only happens in DCS? Never happened with the CV1.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Has anyone had the issue of the view re-setting itself just outside the aircraft to the right of the cockpit?

Just got the Rift S and apart from the occasional minor white flash which is barely noticeable, every now and then the view shifts - have to re-centre my VR view back to in the cockpit. Only happens in DCS? Never happened with the CV1.

Yea this is because the Cv1 used the usb sensors while the rift S sensors which are internal, depend on light. Make sure there is enough light in your room.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I get that every once in a while but usually when I first start a mission. In the Harrier I seem to start at the rudder pedals. I never even think about it as I usually recenter my view before every mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that every once in a while but usually when I first start a mission. In the Harrier I seem to start at the rudder pedals. I never even think about it as I usually recenter my view before every mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always start in the right view position - as I ensure I am facing correctly as the game/mission loads.

I am talking about just flying along and then BAM I am sitting outside the aircraft right next to the fuselage looking forward lol - a little disconcerting! I have a quick button to re-centre thou.

It might be related to this thread/ - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243777

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]