Valve Index Hands On

aileron

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newbie VR question. I plan to use a VR headset with racing and flying games only while seated. Can I get by with only the headset since I don't plan on moving around? Does the Valve headset have head tracking or do you need the base station? Thanks in advance.

Newbie VR question. I plan to use a VR headset with racing and flying games only while seated. Can I get by with only the headset since I don't plan on moving around? Does the Valve headset have head tracking or do you need the base station? Thanks in advance.

You need the base station with index. The only way to buy without is if you have the version 1 stations from the vive

Valve Index Hands On

Tips: If anybody finds the colors to be muted and washed out, try to reverify SteamVR integrity in app properties.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Valve Index Hands On

From RoadtoVR review:

'Compared to the Vive Pro (1,440 × 1,600 per-eye OLED) however, there’s little overall difference in SDE. This is likely partly due to the larger Index FOV (which serves to reduce pixel density compared to a smaller FOV), and the fact that RGB subpixels create a slightly more defined (if smaller) SDE structure compared to the offset pattern seen with PenTile OLED displays.'

From a personal POV, that is very disappointing. The only thing that disappoints me about my VP is the SDE. I've been really looking forward to getting the Index as I assumed the SDE would pretty much have disappeared. When I had the Reverb, the only things it had - in my opinion - that were better than the VP were resolution and hugely reduced SDE.

The Reverb has almost twice the resolution so don’t expect miracles from the Index. I’m a bit of an audio/videophile myself and still find that the best way to experience image fidelity is by plastering my face next to the 4K OLED TV when flying in DCS. No SDE, zero glaring or god rays or shimmering or jaggedness, crisp and clean inside and outside cockpit detail even far out in the distance (I can clearly see MFCD/moving map in the Hornet without leaning or zooming in), vivid colors and unmatched black levels (the downfall of Index or any LCD panels). That aside, the immersion factor is different but quite good when you sit that close to the screen. Even at 4K it doesn’t kill the frame rate like VR does.

I read that there might be a way to adjust gamma and color setting of the headset like regular monitor (by putting the headset in indirect mode in Steam VR), will test this when I’m home from work. The default Index white balance seems a little off (too cold to my eyes) but I haven’t done any objective testing against ref images.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

The Reverb has almost twice the resolution so don’t expect miracles from the Index. I’m a bit of an audio/videophile myself and still find that the best way to experience image fidelity is by plastering my face next to the 4K OLED TV when flying in DCS. No SDE, zero glaring or god rays or shimmering or jaggedness, crisp and clean inside and outside cockpit detail even far out in the distance (I can clearly see MFCD/moving map in the Hornet without leaning or zooming in), vivid colors and unmatched black levels (the downfall of Index or any LCD panels). That aside, the immersion factor is different but quite good when you sit that close to the screen. Even at 4K it doesn’t kill the frame rate like VR does.

I read that there might be a way to adjust gamma and color setting of the headset like regular monitor (by putting the headset in indirect mode in Steam VR), will test this when I’m home from work. The default Index white balance seems a little off (too cold to my eyes) but I haven’t done any objective testing against ref images.

I tried the Index with the Hornet last night. Basically unplayable. I can't read any of the DDIs with the clarity I had with my 4k monitor.

I'm back to 4k w/ HDR and TIR, and I'm much happier.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You need the base station with index. The only way to buy without is if you have the version 1 stations from the vive

Or you have the version 2 base stations from the Vive Pro!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm talking about the comparison I quoted which compares with the Vive Pro, not the Reverb!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I tried the Index with the Hornet last night. Basically unplayable. I can't read any of the DDIs with the clarity I had with my 4k monitor.

I'm back to 4k w/ HDR and TIR, and I'm much happier.

What???

Ok, tired of repeating myself for each of these threads, I gotta most the lawn and want to play (FYI I am foregoing real flying today on a beautiful day to play with indexJ. Copy/paste of my response to similar thread on hoggit:

----

Ya that's nonsense. Get off YouTube, content creators want views. Find a friend with one and try it. Anyone calling it a bust is full of shift, has alterior motives, doesn't know shift about vr, doesn't have system specs to push it, is buttburt about cost, or, giving benefit of the doubt maybe have fit adjusted properly or some setting is bonked..

I had tempered my expectations after the previews, but it's blown me away in every way. In term of image qua,it, coming from o+ for clarity (for dcs), it absolutely destroys it. That clarity extends from edge to edge (speaking of which, fov is improved, but the vertical fov increase is dramatic and something we don't discuss). I can, for example, look down a bit to check airspeed, and see it clearly, in the f14 while still keep my head up outside the cockpit. I can clearly read MFDs in f18 without zooming, Including closing speeds, target altitude, etc, on radar, after quickly glancing down.

SDE is still there to a small extent but you really really have to look. It's like a soft texture, if anything. It's hard a bit to explain, but purely SDE is similar to O+ but without the loss in clarity and just a vastly improved image overall.

Just image wise I would say that going from rift to o+ was an improvement, but not jaw dropping. Going from o+ to index is jaw dropping in every way. I'm a lawyer so spend a lot of time reading text, I can easily read text on virtual desktop and it's super clear.

The comfort/heat comments are craziest of all... I don't know what people are wearing before, but it is less hot and more comfortable than any previous hmd I've owned. It is heavy, but it's heavy in a holy shot this feels nice and expensive way. The adjustability allows you to put the back part on the exact right spot, then adjust so that the headset, speakers, then screen position (IPD and fov/relief) to perfectly fit. After that it just slips on and off easier than any HMD I've worn, perfect spot everytime.

The complaint may come from material they chose, they have a soft memory foamish feel to it. I like the material, it's certainly high end, more breathable than material like vrcover, but probably more absorption, aka rift. I can't say for sure, because I didn't sweat much (despite some prolonged boxing and beat Saber). No doubt some design balancing here. Fortunately valve, being valve, released cad files for aftermarket to make face plates for any preference or face shape. But over all, the lack of ear phones covering the ears (major source of heat loss), makes it cooler than any HMD I've warn.

It is heavy though, but the way it slides on and off your face with just the right amount of stretch and tilt.... I don't know what else to say, it was a major focus of the design. Not just physical comfort, either. I have played two long 6+ hour stretches now with barely any VR weird feeling afterward, and no discomfort during (contrast with O+ where my eyes would start bugging maybe 45 min in).

There is not god rays. I'll say it again, God ways are the rays coming off high contrast objects, eminating linearly from that object. In certain scenes, there is some light scatter around the vertical edges. Again, it's not constant, and the only reason it's noticeable is because then screen is so damn clear that I actually look with my eyes over there, rather than staring straight ahead at a tiny sweet spot. A very clear image reveals things that would jot be noticeable on other lower end HMDs.

Anyone bitching about plugging in two boxes is a moron, we knew it was external heading in, it takes literally 30 seconds and the tracking is flawless. 30 seconds and two ac plugs for flawless tracking? OK...mTwo examples- sitting on my floor like an idiot, jumping from one side to the other tacking while sailing a boat, one hand on tiller, other on sheet. Worst possible position for occlusion, yet the tiniest movement was picked up. In DCS it matters as well, the tracking is extremely fast, I can whip my head from side to side, and due to extremely low latency, the image is in immediate focus.

I have a beast of a system. 9900k at 5.1, 2080ti at 2150, 32gb running at 3844, and I can mainain 120 in everything except DCS. I had high hopes for reverb, though even with my system I was concerned about performance. resolution is the most expensive (resource wise) ways to improve fidelity. Valve did it with outstanding ergos and adjuability, lenses, and screen tech without forcing us to draw 4x the number of pixels, allowing for things like the 120 refresh.

The controllers are expensive, and not all games take advantage of them. They are, hands down, the nicest vr controller I've used however. My gunfighter mk ii was a whole lot more than my first t.1600, but picking up t.1600 feels like a toy. Same thing here, they exude quality, and work beautifully. As with everything about the headset, there is a very slick system where you push in the strap to twist the hand size adjuster (adjusts angle of surface where buttons and such are relative to your palm). Playing gorn and laughing my ass off, I could relax my grip, slide my hand down the weapon for longer reach. Same with two hand guns, with hand still on rail, just ease my grip to slide hand further down the rail, and utilize that sub mm tracking to plink headshots.

Best thing I can say about controllers is that I rarely play anything but dcs in vr, but in last two days I've barely played. Instead I purchased literally everything in steam store because room scale is a blast,

I'm not sitting on o+ or rift s (well kinds rift s, feels like a toy, image quality is shit, and **** oculus and their closed ecosystem). Again though, thanks valve for releasing it coincident with summer sale. I repurchase almost everything I had in oculus store because I don't want to bother with revive. O+ is a great bang for the buck, but does not compare in any way. I have a great modified one for sale for anyone on a tight budget. Comfort, image quality, sound, tracking, though index blows it away. It's not perfect, but nothing is yet. But I could not be more happy with it.

FYI I have zero incentive to bs, not trying to attract views. I've also been fort ate enough to buy whatever headset I want. I actually considered a vr-1 and investigated it during the last month waiting, but am totally happy with the index.

Edited by sk000tch
Accidentally some words

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

What???

Ok, tired of repeating myself for each of these threads, I gotta most the lawn and want to play (FYI I am foregoing real flying today on a beautiful day to play with indexJ. Copy/paste of my response to similar thread on hoggit:

----

Ya that's nonsense. Get off YouTube, content creators want views. Find a friend with one and try it. Anyone calling it a bust is full of shift, has alterior motives, doesn't know shift about vr, doesn't have system specs to push it, is buttburt about cost, or, giving benefit of the doubt maybe have fit adjusted properly or some setting is bonked..

I had tempered my expectations after the previews, but it's blown me away in every way. In term of image qua,it, coming from o+ for clarity (for dcs), it absolutely destroys it. That clarity extends from edge to edge (speaking of which, fov is improved, but the vertical fov increase is dramatic and something we don't discuss). I can, for example, look down a bit to check airspeed, and see it clearly, in the f14 while still keep my head up outside the cockpit. I can clearly read MFDs in f18 without zooming, Including closing speeds, target altitude, etc, on radar, after quickly glancing down.

SDE is still there to a small extent but you really really have to look. It's like a soft texture, if anything. It's hard a bit to explain, but purely SDE is similar to O+ but without the loss in clarity and just a vastly improved image overall.

Just image wise I would say that going from rift to o+ was an improvement, but not jaw dropping. Going from o+ to index is jaw dropping in every way. I'm a lawyer so spend a lot of time reading text, I can easily read text on virtual desktop and it's super clear.

The comfort/heat comments are craziest of all... I don't know what people are wearing before, but it is less hot and more comfortable than any previous hmd I've owned. It is heavy, but it's heavy in a holy shot this feels nice and expensive way. The adjustability allows you to put the back part on the exact right spot, then adjust so that the headset, speakers, then screen position (IPD and fov/relief) to perfectly fit. After that it just slips on and off easier than any HMD I've worn, perfect spot everytime.

The complaint may come from material they chose, they have a soft memory foamish feel to it. I like the material, it's certainly high end, more breathable than material like vrcover, but probably more absorption, aka rift. I can't say for sure, because I didn't sweat much (despite some prolonged boxing and beat Saber). No doubt some design balancing here. Fortunately valve, being valve, released cad files for aftermarket to make face plates for any preference or face shape. But over all, the lack of ear phones covering the ears (major source of heat loss), makes it cooler than any HMD I've warn.

It is heavy though, but the way it slides on and off your face with just the right amount of stretch and tilt.... I don't know what else to say, it was a major focus of the design. Not just physical comfort, either. I have played two long 6+ hour stretches now with barely any VR weird feeling afterward, and no discomfort during (contrast with O+ where my eyes would start bugging maybe 45 min in).

There is not god rays. I'll say it again, God ways are the rays coming off high contrast objects, eminating linearly from that object. In certain scenes, there is some light scatter around the vertical edges. Again, it's not constant, and the only reason it's noticeable is because then screen is so damn clear that I actually look with my eyes over there, rather than staring straight ahead at a tiny sweet spot. A very clear image reveals things that would jot be noticeable on other lower end HMDs.

Anyone bitching about plugging in two boxes is a moron, we knew it was external heading in, it takes literally 30 seconds and the tracking is flawless. 30 seconds and two ac plugs for flawless tracking? OK...mTwo examples- sitting on my floor like an idiot, jumping from one side to the other tacking while sailing a boat, one hand on tiller, other on sheet. Worst possible position for occlusion, yet the tiniest movement was picked up. In DCS it matters as well, the tracking is extremely fast, I can whip my head from side to side, and due to extremely low latency, the image is in immediate focus.

I have a beast of a system. 9900k at 5.1, 2080ti at 2150, 32gb running at 3844, and I can mainain 120 in everything except DCS. I had high hopes for reverb, though even with my system I was concerned about performance. resolution is the most expensive (resource wise) ways to improve fidelity. Valve did it with outstanding ergos and adjuability, lenses, and screen tech without forcing us to draw 4x the number of pixels, allowing for things like the 120 refresh.

The controllers are expensive, and not all games take advantage of them. They are, hands down, the nicest vr controller I've used however. My gunfighter mk ii was a whole lot more than my first t.1600, but picking up t.1600 feels like a toy. Same thing here, they exude quality, and work beautifully. As with everything about the headset, there is a very slick system where you push in the strap to twist the hand size adjuster (adjusts angle of surface where buttons and such are relative to your palm). Playing gorn and laughing my ass off, I could relax my grip, slide my hand down the weapon for longer reach. Same with two hand guns, with hand still on rail, just ease my grip to slide hand further down the rail, and utilize that sub mm tracking to plink headshots.

Best thing I can say about controllers is that I rarely play anything but dcs in vr, but in last two days I've barely played. Instead I purchased literally everything in steam store because room scale is a blast,

I'm not sitting on o+ or rift s (well kinds rift s, feels like a toy, image quality is shit, and **** oculus and their closed ecosystem). Again though, thanks valve for releasing it coincident with summer sale. I repurchase almost everything I had in oculus store because I don't want to bother with revive. O+ is a great bang for the buck, but does not compare in any way. I have a great modified one for sale for anyone on a tight budget. Comfort, image quality, sound, tracking, though index blows it away. It's not perfect, but nothing is yet. But I could not be more happy with it.

FYI I have zero incentive to bs, not trying to attract views. I've also been fort ate enough to buy whatever headset I want. I actually considered a vr-1 and investigated it during the last month waiting, but am totally happy with the index.

What are you talking about?

Hornet in VR, even in the Index, is basically unplayable compared to a 4k monitor.

I thought maybe the improvement in SDE would differentiate the Index, but I was wrong.

VR is simply unplayable with the Hornet. I might give the WW2 birds and Huey a shot. I was hoping the KA50 would be ok, but I seriously doubt it.

If anyone is on the fence between 4k and VR for advanced aircraft, please don't make the same mistake I did.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hornet in VR, even in the Index, is basically unplayable compared to a 4k monitor.

I thought maybe the improvement in SDE would differentiate the Index, but I was wrong.

VR is simply unplayable with the Hornet. I might give the WW2 birds and Huey a shot. I was hoping the KA50 would be ok, but I seriously doubt it.

If anyone is on the fence between 4k and VR for advanced aircraft, please don't make the same mistake I did.

Sorry, but what are you talking about?

I have a 4K monitor and I run DCS at 4K res. I also use a Vive Pro in VR. Now, although the monitor is obviously clearer, VR works perfectly well. The DDIs etc. on the Hornet are totally readable in VR.

I think you need to make some adjustments, as clearly there is something wrong.

What imacken said. Soooo many VR users on here, reddit ++ who says DCS in VR is amazing means your bad experience is likely due to incorrect settings, your eyes being impaired etc where you should optimise, use extra lenses for your eyes or something. Your experience is clearly an extreme outlier, so I would recommend to troubleshoot tenfold before saying it’s not playable.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

VR is perfectly playable. You only has to know maybe how to set pixel density or other parameters, maybe... you know?.... I´m playing since 2,5 years in CV1 and OG Odyssey... now, waiting my index. Looking at your comments, I doubt that you really test anything in VR (I have OLED 4K 55´TV also... no comparison with feeling in VR. Night and day).

“Unplayable” in this case seems to be quite subjective. I can read everything with the Index, so not sure what makes it unplayable.

Of course I understand everything is clearer on a 4K monitor, anyway to me it would be “unplayable” watching a screen and pretending that I am flying, now that I have tried VR (and it was the same with the original Vive).

As both of us are playing what is “unplayable” for each other, it seems that everybody can play what others define as unplayable. So it’s playable.

Unplayable is an absurd overstatement of some of the issues vr has, many of which the index drastically improves.

On a 4k monitor you can read a mfd more clearly - OK

Here's my test, as I say in my sig, I have a fair bit of time in the air, the majority of which in high performance aircraft. Mine is certified to +12/-10Gs. I find flat screen to be unplayable because it's boring, whereas vr I feel like I'm in the cockpit (to some extent at least).

I practice competition sequences in xplane in vr, it's more useful than visualization techniques we used to use. It doesn't really refine my stick and rudder work, but it helps my SA tremendously (and just Memorizing, etc).. Doing this on a flat as screen would be a waste of time.

Like I said, I spent a bunch of time sitting on my ass scoot ing around on the floor racing a little host yesterday. I can't imagine something more boring on a monitor, in vr it was a blast. Little sailboats are cool, fighters are cooler. VR can put my inside one, not in my office looking at a screen

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Unplayable is an absurd overstatement of some of the issues vr has, many of which the index drastically improves.

On a 4k monitor you can read a mfd more clearly - OK

Here's my test, as I say in my sig, I have a fair bit of time in the air, the majority of which in high performance aircraft. Mine is certified to +12/-10Gs. I find flat screen to be unplayable because it's boring, whereas vr I feel like I'm in the cockpit (to some extent at least).

I practice competition sequences in xplane in vr, it's more useful than visualization techniques we used to use. It doesn't really refine my stick and rudder work, but it helps my SA tremendously (and just Memorizing, etc).. Doing this on a flat as screen would be a waste of time.

Like I said, I spent a bunch of time sitting on my ass scoot ing around on the floor racing a little host yesterday. I can't imagine something more boring on a monitor, in vr it was a blast. Little sailboats are cool, fighters are cooler. VR can put my inside one, not in my office looking at a screen

I can read all my instruments in a normal seated position in front of my 4k monitor without zooming.

I can identify aircraft easily and spot ground targets easily on my 4k monitor. I can see incoming missiles easily.

I can see terrain features, details, and general beauty of DCS with my 4k monitor.

With the Index, I can do the above at maybe 30% of the level I did with the 4k monitor.

I would have been happy with 70% of the viewing ability with the switch to VR.

30%? Hell no... You VR guys are smoking something fierce if you think you are even remotely close to the performance of a 4k HDR monitor.

Here's another way to put it: the US Navy has eyesight requirements for a reason.... The US Navy would never accept a candidate who can't see detail in the cockpit, much less outside the airplane.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's not to say there aren't other uses for VR. I was playing Google Earth VR and had a great time. I'll probably play some horror games in VR. However, I'm not going to fool myself into thinking VR is the end all be all in DCS.

The VR mentality here is cultist.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It seems like you fly with your head down in the pit a lot, if that's your style man you do you, no one is forcing you to use VR.

But make no mistake, for most people VR makes you feel like you're almost there, sitting in the real plane. Having to lean in to read a MFD more clearly, or to see a gauge on an aircraft that wasn't designed with VR in mind from the ground up is a temporary minor annoyance to most.

While we wait for VR to improve in clarity and resolution so that we don't have to deal with these annoyances anymore, we will wait happily, because for the first time in flight sim history were practically sitting in the real aircraft and how cool is that?

With 4K just arriving in VR and 8K standards already set I think it is. The immersion gap between a flat screen/TrackIR and a 4K VR (I have both) has become huge. As an IRL pilot for the first time now with the clarity of the Reverb I really forget and feel like I am in the plane. Call it what you like. :smilewink:

It's not to say there aren't other uses for VR. I was playing Google Earth VR and had a great time. I'll probably play some horror games in VR. However, I'm not going to fool myself into thinking VR is the end all be all in DCS.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Another absurd overstatement . If we are evangelical about VR , it is only to express our amazement as to it's immersive qualities , and to spread the word regarding its many benefits .

I don't care if anyone chooses to fly in VR or not , but such overstatements demand a response .

"Unplayable" ? I'm having a blast in the Hornet with a CV1 and a pd of 1.0 , and i can read the smallest lettering on the MFD's .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Debating whether or not to pull the trigger on Index - it just doesn’t seem quite *there* yet. Maybe if it had foveated rendering and/or inside out tracking, but I don’t know.

Especially since LG is coming out with some gaming Nano IPS monitors next week (1ms, GSYNC, HDR10) that look like they could be amazing.

And Vive Cosmos also looks intriguing...

Edited by TacoGrease

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

But make no mistake, for most people VR makes you feel like you're almost there, sitting in the real plane.

While I agree with "sitting in the real plane" observation, I am not sure how many people sat in a real plane (not to mention flew a real plane) wearing a fogged scuba dive mask, so it's really hard to compare VR to real.

Debating whether or not to pull the trigger on Index - it just doesn’t seem quite *there* yet. Maybe if it had foveated rendering and/or inside out tracking, but I don’t know.

Especially since LG is coming out with some gaming Nano IPS monitors next week (1ms, GSYNC, HDR10) that look like they could be amazing.

And Vive Cosmos also looks intriguing...

If it's only for DCS, I'd not get Index. It's not that better than Rift-S for DCS and in some aspects worse, you won't be using it to its full advantage (controllers, tracking, 120Hz+ - none of this will have any effect on your DCS experience). Image quality is comparable, Index has wider FOV and you can adjust IPD mechanically if you need to.

If you want to play other games, esp. room size, Index is great.

ps. I have both.

Most military pilots. My squadron is loaded with pilots.

While I agree with "sitting in the real plane" observation, I am not sure how many people sat in a real plane (not to mention flew a real plane) wearing a fogged scuba dive mask, so it's really hard to compare VR to real.

hba0AiT.jpg

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.