Flying The F-18 Without Peddles?

Zulu111

If you have rudder pedals and you don't use them in BFM/ACM in the F-18,you're doing yourself a disservice. The high AOA authority of the plane allows for some interesting maneuvers that combine stick and rudder input, at least in my opinion/style of dogfighting.

That being said, you absolutely don't need rudder pedals for 90-95% of the jet's operation. You need to use the rudder during taxi and takeoff/landing, but everything else is optional, including my example above; you can definitely dogfight in the F-18 without using the rudder. The FBW system automatically deflects the rudder as you maneuver, in order to help you stay stable.

I suggest that you bind left and right rudder to one of the available hats on the stick or the throttle, that way you can still access them quickly if you need them.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

If you have rudder pedals and you don't use them in BFM/ACM in the F-18,you're doing yourself a disservice. The high AOA authority of the plane allows for some interesting maneuvers that combine stick and rudder input, at least in my opinion/style of dogfighting.

That being said, you absolutely don't need rudder pedals for 90-95% of the jet's operation. You need to use the rudder during taxi and takeoff/landing, but everything else is optional, including my example above; you can definitely dogfight in the F-18 without using the rudder. The FBW system automatically deflects the rudder as you maneuver, in order to help you stay stable.

I suggest that you bind left and right rudder to one of the available hats on the stick or the throttle, that way you can still access them quickly if you need them.

Exactly this. You CAN fly without the rudder pedals on all of the FBW aircraft with the exception of taxi (which can be worked around with keybinds or binding buttons), however the Hornet really sings at high AoA and there you need a good rudder input.

Having said that I would invest in some form of head tracking before getting rudder pedals. The full fidelity modules really demand that you are able to quickly look around the cockpit (and for me trying to do that with an axis on the joystick does not cut it).

And if you have any realistic Crosswinds on landing and approach, the rudders can help greatly. As wags what he uses for Rudders...I think he mapped it to one of his HOTAS buttons!

As for rudder use, I use them all the time in low speed aerial maneuvers while dogfighting...you can get by for a while, but long term, I'd get them for sure!

What are you using for head tracking?

Edited by =JUICE=

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm new to DCS and I was thinking of making the F-18 my first purchase. I do have the Thrustmaster HOTAS combo but I don't have peddles yet. Can I still operate the F-18 without the peddles for now? Thanks.

Use your money on TrackIR if you haven't got it. It's a gamechanger.

Anyone got a guide on using rudder while flying please? Ie, when and how?

besides landing i´d say this pretty much depends on your IAS, AoA and (close) combat situation.

edit: In combination with seat time/training, this is a very good guide about the topic in generall. Well, not realy. It´s the bible:

1722979864_FighterCombat.thumb.JPG.1a3b39a3e2a17a2e9cc64ed4a6df91e8.JPG

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

Nevermind, just be aware that it is what the title says. It won´t tell you specificly when to use rudder in combat, but helps getting a fine grasp of when it might be useful.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2