HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

10 hours ago, dburne said:

Seems the next update planned for Dec 8th has a WMR quality improvement in it.

"We improved the visual quality of Windows Mixed Reality headsets that run in lower resolution mode."

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/169035-windows-10-insider-preview-beta-rp-channel-build-19042-662-20h2.html

I had this installed today, as part of the Win10 H2 advanced feature update... haven't had a chance to try it out.  But I noticed the update said "lower resolution mode" which my 3090 and G2 are set for neither.  I'll check it out nonetheless, and report back when I can (tomorrow). 

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yes, anyone coming from any other HMD - apart from a G1 - should be highly impressed!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

BTW guys, if you haven't used this Steam Workshop::ROV Test FOV & Resolution (steamcommunity.com) please give it a try. It is the perfect tool for measuring all sorts of things in your HMD, incluing FOV, glare, text readability, etc.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I got two questions. 

Im on monitor right now and find it quite pleasing. Owned the G1 in spring briefly but sold it pretty quickly. 

Hated the stiff cable and disliked the fact, that only the center was sharp, so a quick glance at some lower positioned instruments without moving the head was not possible. 

With the G2 is this now resolved or do you still need to move head which seems very unnatural for me?

Second thing: I own a 2070S and for sure will not throw money on those GPU-manufacturers (especially Nvidia) for the forseeable future. May others let themselves get fxxxx over, I most certainly wont. 

With the G1 perf at 100% resolution/SS was not great but still ok. Ive seen comments, that G1 and G2 seem comparable perfwise. Is that common understanding? 

I should get the G2 in about 10 days but am thinking of giving it to a someone else before opening for the price I haved paid. 

As already stated Im happy on monitor and up to now neiter G1/Rift S/Index gave me a great experience since it seemed I was tweaking more than actually playing DCS. 

57 minutes ago, Wali763 said:

I got two questions. 

Im on monitor right now and find it quite pleasing. Owned the G1 in spring briefly but sold it pretty quickly. 

Hated the stiff cable and disliked the fact, that only the center was sharp, so a quick glance at some lower positioned instruments without moving the head was not possible. 

With the G2 is this now resolved or do you still need to move head which seems very unnatural for me?

Second thing: I own a 2070S and for sure will not throw money on those GPU-manufacturers (especially Nvidia) for the forseeable future. May others let themselves get fxxxx over, I most certainly wont. 

With the G1 perf at 100% resolution/SS was not great but still ok. Ive seen comments, that G1 and G2 seem comparable perfwise. Is that common understanding? 

I should get the G2 in about 10 days but am thinking of giving it to a someone else before opening for the price I haved paid. 

As already stated Im happy on monitor and up to now neiter G1/Rift S/Index gave me a great experience since it seemed I was tweaking more than actually playing DCS. 

Given your attitude, I would advise staying well clear of VR.

And, as one who  was 'fxxxxx over' by nVidia, I can only report that it was a very pleasant experience!  Massive improvement in VR with my 3090 compared to my 2080 Ti.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:23 PM, Habu_69 said:

Open file config\views\snapviews.lua (either Saved Games or install folder) in Notepad++, NOT NOTEPAD. Scroll down to about line 2444 and find the view settings for FA-18C, then locate the settings for Default VR. The y value controls seat height (lower value = lower height). FOV controls distance from HUD. Save the file in Saved Games\DCS OB\config\views.

Thank you for the tip.

There isn't an FA-18C section in my version of that file (or indeed an F-16C section). Is that because I've never set any snap views for those aircraft ?. I note there IS an F-15C section and I've definatately set snap views for that.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

2 hours ago, imacken said:

BTW guys, if you haven't used this Steam Workshop::ROV Test FOV & Resolution (steamcommunity.com) please give it a try. It is the perfect tool for measuring all sorts of things in your HMD, incluing FOV, glare, text readability, etc.

Also try to measure FOV with facial interface removed. I get 20 degree better horizontal FOV with facial interface removed 😞 My only hope is that VR Cover will release some improved facial interface for g2

• ED Team

Had my G2 for a few days now, I am blown away by it. 

First thing I noticed was how much smaller and lighter it was from my vive cosmos, it hardly feels like you are wearing it. 

Resolution is amazing, no screen door, the image is very clear. 

In DCS single player I am getting a steady 90FPS, same settings as the vive cosmos and performance is much better, I have added screenshots of the settings I tested with but will likely tweak them more. 

My IPD is slightly higher than the 68 it will allow, but the sweet spot is so large it does not matter.

No regrets here, it is an amazing headset.

reverb.PNG

Screen_201201_220559.png

steamvr.PNG

Screen_201201_220551.png

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Glad you're enjoying the Reverb life!  Big step up from the Cosmos resolution.

You've turned down quite a lot, e.g. terrain textures and object shadows, and no SS, so I would expect you to get 90fps in a lot of scenarios.

• ED Team
1 minute ago, imacken said:

Glad you're enjoying the Reverb life!  Big step up from the Cosmos resolution.

You've turned down quite a lot, e.g. terrain textures and object shadows, and no SS, so I would expect you to get 90fps in a lot of scenarios.

yes this was a direct comparison to the settings I was using with the vive cosmos, I think I will be able to tweak higher now, already have shadows medium and terrain high and not seeing much of a hit. Once I have tweaked to my liking I will do a video. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

yes this was a direct comparison to the settings I was using with the vive cosmos, I think I will be able to tweak higher now, already have shadows medium and terrain high and not seeing much of a hit. Once I have tweaked to my liking I will do a video. 

I know I've said it before, but in my experience the only things that really make a big difference (I'm ignoring SSLR) are - SS/PD, shadows and MSAA.  Others can have a cumulative effect if all switched on together, but in the main, it's just those 3.

Can I recommend you try motion reprojection (smoothing) on the Reverb. It really does an excellent job, especially if you are close to the 90fps anyway.  personally, I have it switched on permanently.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, imacken said:

I know I've said it before, but in my experience the only things that really make a big difference (I'm ignoring SSLR) are - SS/PD, shadows and MSAA.  Others can have a cumulative effect if all switched on together, but in the main, it's just those 3.

Can I recommend you try motion reprojection (smoothing) on the Reverb. It really does an excellent job, especially if you are close to the 90fps anyway.  personally, I have it switched on permanently.

Yeah that has been my experience on motion smoothing as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

39 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi Bignewy,

Could you please remind us your system's specs? The performances you get with such settings seems quite high and give me high hopes regarding my upcoming G2 and my own rig...

Edited by Pride37

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

• ED Team
Just now, Pride37 said:

Hi Bignewy,

Could you please remind us your system's specs? The performances you get with such settings seems quite high and give me high hopes regarding my upcoming G2 and m'y own rig...

In my signature, but here they are 

Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Given your attitude, I would advise staying well clear of VR.

And, as one who  was 'fxxxxx over' by nVidia, I can only report that it was a very pleasant experience!  Massive improvement in VR with my 3090 compared to my 2080 Ti.

Hi. 

Given your experience in VR you just have given an answer to my first question instead of telling us, how great the 3090 is. We all know that already. Thx

1 minute ago, Wali763 said:

Hi. 

Given your experience in VR you just have given an answer to my first question instead of telling us, how great the 3090 is. We all know that already. Thx

I have no idea what that means, sorry.

1 hour ago, shaun57 said:

Thank you for the tip.

There isn't an FA-18C section in my version of that file (or indeed an F-16C section). Is that because I've never set any snap views for those aircraft ?. I note there IS an F-15C section and I've definatately set snap views for that.

You probably have to switch on Snapview Saving in Options, then set up the view you like in the game cockpit and do a snapview save. Then you can adjust the values directly in the .lua file in Saved Games.

42 minutes ago, Wali763 said:

Hi. 

If you go back one whole page in the thread you can read his comparison regarding the sweet spot:

It is  a shame your not liking the VR experience as every real life pilot video I have come across prefers it it, but not every ones cup of tea for sure.

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

In my signature, but here they are 

Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Ah thanks, sorry I can't see your sig on my phone... 

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

3 hours ago, freehand said:

If you go back one whole page in the thread you can read his comparison regarding the sweet spot:

It is  a shame your not liking the VR experience as every real life pilot video I have come across prefers it it, but not every ones cup of tea for sure.

Hi. Actually that comparison was the reason for my question since most of the comments up to now stated a much larger sweet spot and according to some testers comments outside of this forum "my" problem should have been solved too. Same for the perf requirements, which should be quite the same.

Thats why I just wanted to have some confirmation from within the DCS-community.

About my attitude towards VR, Im sorry, I am not yet able to follow this religion. At least it seems, that it is religion for some. But Im not giving up on it (VR not the religion!); thats why I ordered the G2 in the first place, since it promised most of the things I did not like on the G1 to get resolved.

Anyway, testing the unit for a few days will not render it worthless, so I will give it a try. That way I can judge for myself and can avoid asking phone typed stupid and unanswerable questions here.

And maybe the G2 really will make me think, that Im a real Combatpilot in a real plane then! Only wearing socks! 😉

Edited by Wali763

Regarding the sweet spot on the G2, I'm with those who have said they don't see an improvement.  If the sweet spot is larger, its not noticeably so for me.  I'm wondering if the reviewers who said the sweet spot is significantly larger got G2s with different lenses in them than what most of us seem to have gotten.  Overall though, I'm happy with my G2 because of the better tracking over the G1 (although it still doesn't match HMDs with external sensors/cameras).  It is also better than my G1 due to the longer, lighter, more reliable cable, FAR better hand controllers, and the fact that so far I haven't had the intemittent, random dimming of one or both eyes that was a problem with the G1s.  The eye relief issues that a few of us had with the G1 also seem to have been eliminated for me.

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

8 hours ago, Habu_69 said:

You probably have to switch on Snapview Saving in Options, then set up the view you like in the game cockpit and do a snapview save. Then you can adjust the values directly in the .lua file in Saved Games.

Thanks I’ll give it a try

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

From what I have read and my own testing seems to indicate, setting the steam resolution to 50% will output to the G2 at a lower resolution then the headsets native resolution. I believe that stated resolution is before the image is distorted/warped to what is displayed on the headset panels and that 3024 x 3024 would produce a final image that is closer to the headsets panels native resolution of 2160 x 2160.

Just got my G2. Coming from a G1, 100% SS certainly looks more like I'm used to but the strain on resources says different. At 50% indicated native there seems to be a halo of purple around edges (wings etc) giving everything a soft blurry look. Something not right here.  

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.