Very poorly visible HUD and HMD.

Padonis

Hi,

Open up the command tool in Windows, then switch to your DCS/bin folder (e.g. "cd \Games\DCS\bin" or whatever your folders are called), then type either of the following:

DCS_Updater.exe update 2.5.6.49798@openbeta

OR

DCS_Updater.exe update @release

The first one brings you back to the previous version of open beta (which is what I did). The second one reverts you from open beta to stable (which is the same as the open beta 2.5.6.49798 ).

Hope this helps.

Doc

Thank you...

Fargo

I9-9900, GTX1080Ti,32GRam,Pimax 5k+, HP Reverb, TM WartHog, MTG Pedals

To be fair, I think some things look more realistic now. The environment lighting feels more natural both day and night. I also noticed the degraded visibility, maybe toning the haze down could help.

Then there are the synthetic lights: MFDs, indicator lights etc. Those are hit and miss depending on aircraft. For example Harrier night time MFD map display is almost blinding white, you cannot make any details from it, while other indicator lights were fine. On the other hand in MiG-19 all lightbulb indicator lights look so dull as if they were made of colored paper, definitely need lot of tuning.

My point here is that there are so many interdependent variables that need tuning after any change in global lighting. I wish the critic is constructive pointing out the things needing tuning and not just judging all development.

P.S. I think bloom is definitely better than before. It used to be too strong for simple indicator lights. Now it is noticeable for dim lights only in the dark, and for very bright sun reflections during daytime.

Edit: I am using gamma 1.6 and HP Reverb HMD.

I am also using Reverb, and I think the terrains look horrendous in this new patch. Totally blown and washed out, especially NTTR. If I turn gamma down to 1.0, terrain looks not too bad, but cockpit are impossibly dark.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Looking forward to answering the ED forum, but no problem with Reddit? Don't you think that's a bit weird?

This is not the first time you can learn more in another forum ... :(

Edited by padonis

Thumbs up for quick hotfix of this.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

I am also using Reverb, and I think the terrains look horrendous in this new patch. Totally blown and washed out, especially NTTR. If I turn gamma down to 1.0, terrain looks not too bad, but cockpit are impossibly dark.

This got me thinking and I decided to test with MiG-15 free flight mission over Las Vegas daytime. It is true that colors look quite bland and washed out with gamma setting 1.6 versus 1.0, which is contrasty with colors popping out. Gamma 1.0 definitely looks nicer and more vibrant.

Then I searched Youtube for aerial photography videos over the Las Vegas. The videos I found mostly had bland, washed out colors and also the haze was present many times.

So, while I agree that 1.0 gamma looks better, it could well be that gamma 1.6 is closer to real world. I would love to hear comments from someone who had the privilege to witness that area from the air with own eyes.

There is a +ive side to this, on the FA-18C the central colour MPCD has been largely unreadable with the MAP on for the HSI and SA pages , especially in VR. Since the last update the map and symbology is really clear. I hope any hotfix that might be done can retain that.

There is a +ive side to this, on the FA-18C the central colour MPCD has been largely unreadable with the MAP on for the HSI and SA pages , especially in VR. Since the last update the map and symbology is really clear. I hope any hotfix that might be done can retain that.

I noticed the same. Can finally read the map, just shame I cant see anything on the DDIs!!

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

ED needs to remove this goddamn HDR + bloom filter or at least make it toggelable option. Period. It looks terrible, affects performance and nobody seems to like it or think it looks even remotely realistic. The way 2.5.5 looked was the best in my opinion and 2.5.6 has been a huge downgrade in all visual aspects.

Please revert.

The skhval screen on ka50 is light saturated, c101 digital instruments are unreadable, poor visibility on HUD and MDFs on f-18 & f-16

errata: after some tests, on C101 setting light knobs to max, make the instruments readable

Edited by Otter
errata

Very poorly visible HUD and HMD.

Wow. I have the opposite experience to all of you. i didn't want to install it! but wanted to test A2G radar.

MFD's are clear. The map view on the centre MFD is now usable. Before it was a waste of time. The cockpit is now clear as day. for me it was always a little dark.

Only bug I can see is a massive bloom on the Carrier lights.

Why am i seeing different???

See photos.

Bloody Hell.. I posted 3 screen shots to show you. But not showing. Used google photos... Can anyone recommend a way to share the photos?

AF1QipNECFKvBVFXXNehRNjJnpzRm_vFFUnSpvZ7rHk_

AF1QipPNNA2wp6Mj5ehvzI_p5a0zrdh1OHUUDSKxf9mC

AF1QipN9qZbqbfgqB0rWJx5zAMbN1j-lGkvNYxTqQB7J

Edited by Alligin

Ppl should be sure that they are not using any display mods and that vr bloom is disabled. Both have bad effects after last patch. With those disabled I'm finding lighting "ok"(not to say it's not messed up because it still is. Just sharing that those things helped me a little) but the weird smudge cloud around the vr view at night is unbearable, gamma is all out of wack and radar is getting very buggy. Also cloud render range seems to have been reduced dramatically but I'm no longer experiencing issues with clouds rendering in one eye but not the other.

Edited by Talonx1

Wow. I have the opposite experience to all of you. i didn't want to install it! but wanted to test A2G radar.

MFD's are clear. The map view on the centre MFD is now usable. Before it was a waste of time. The cockpit is now clear as day. for me it was always a little dark.

Only bug I can see is a massive bloom on the Carrier lights.

Why am i seeing different???

Create a mission in the Hornet where the sun is behind and shining directly on the DDI's and you'll see what we're talking about. I personally don't mind the HUD brightness because I always turn it down pretty low in the daytime anyway. But, when the sun shines on the ddi's after the most recent update, you can barely see the text. See my post #23 to see what I mean.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Looks like it's being worked on. I'm on Steam so will just have to opt out of the Open Beta until it's fixed. It's really not workable in the planes I like to fly.

I guess that's why they call it "beta". Looking forward to the fix.

Create a mission in the Hornet where the sun is behind and shining directly on the DDI's and you'll see what we're talking about. I personally don't mind the HUD brightness because I always turn it down pretty low in the daytime anyway. But, when the sun shines on the ddi's after the most recent update, you can barely see the text. See my post #23 to see what I mean.

Shouldn't that be normal, though? When sunlight shines on my iPhone screen, computer monitor, or TV, the screen becomes illegible. Or does the military have some super magical screens that block sunlight?