Who auto starts their aircraft

CBenson89

I’m just amazed at the responses, that it seems few people use the features ED works really hard to include in these modules. And the fact that, based upon feedback like this, they could dial down the fidelity of the aircraft. That would be very disappointing.

In other sims people clamor for this feature and here it’s not used at all.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I’m just amazed at the responses, that it seems few people use the features ED works really hard to include in these modules.

There's nothing to suggest anything of the kind.

The responses show one thing very clearly: people use the full range of options made available so it would be pretty stupid of ED to suddenly decide to remove of them for no coherently formulated reason.

And the fact that, based upon feedback like this, they could dial down the fidelity of the aircraft.
…and the only one to have suggested anything like that is you. You seem pretty alone in wanting to see less fidelity in DCS. Have you considered maybe playing a different game if that's what you're after?

In other sims people clamor for this feature and here it’s not used at all
Have you tried reading what people actually write rather than make up these kinds of unsourced and fundamentally disproven fantasies? If you did, you'd immediately note that irrespective of what “this feature” is that you're referring to, it is indeed being used. That's kind of the beauty of going the extra distance to provide options to support a wide array of play styles.
Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I find it shocking too honestly the number of people that auto start. I just figured there are literally scores of other simulators where you just jump in and go. I guess I just figured that with DCS being so expensive that people would be more invested in starting up the aircraft. I mean if you don’t start the jet you self you’re basically not interacting with like half the cockpit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just figured there are literally scores of other simulators where you just jump in and go. I guess I just figured that with DCS being so expensive that people would be more invested in starting up the aircraft.

People don't really buy modules to start aircraft. They buy them to fly them, and the start-up is a pretty tiny part of that. There's also the whole navigation and sensor usage and weapons setup and weapons delivery and communications and, of course, fault handling and emergency procedures. The more complex and detailed the aircraft, the smaller a portion the startup is of the whole. Ultimately, it's just something that takes time but is utterly trivial — you'd be surprised how often and how quickly that combination equates to just being a waste of time, especially if the end-goal is entertainment and challenge.

Ultimately, the cost argument works both ways: if people spend a lot of money on flying planes, it's not all that strange that they skip right to the part where they fly planes — the whole point of the exercise — rather than spend their evening on a completely mindless time sink.

I mean if you don’t start the jet you self you’re basically not interacting with like half the cockpit.
That half of the cockpit comes into play any time anything goes wrong, and at that stage you're engage in actual problem solving rather than just rote repetition of checklist steps. There's also a distinction to be made between “half in surface area” and “half in functionality” – the start-up might use the first half but it comes nowhere close the second. ;)
Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I mean if you don’t start the jet you self you’re basically not interacting with like half the cockpit.

In a WWII aircraft, if you don’t do the startup you aren’t even using the cockpit at all. ED might as well stop making warbirds.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I rarely do, unless it's something interesting, like a Huey or a P-51. Jets are boring to start, and aligning an INS? Not likely! I did that for 10 years in the real thing and it was never the high point of a flight, trust me.

Guess what, real military sims, that are even more expensive and detailed than DCS (although it's getting closer...) often start missions engines & systems running, or in the air, etc. It all depends on what you are trying to do. Starting engines for the sake of starting engines can be fun but can also be a waste of time when you have to fit specific training goals into a limited time slot.

I like DCS for the flying. If you like it for the engine starts, good on you; but enough of the dissing of those who have a different way to enjoy this great sim/game/money pit!

Vulture

I did initially before I learned the systems. I still kinda do for the A10, only because I don't spend much time in it now. Same for the Mirage, F5, etc. However most of my time is spent in the Hornet which i always start manually.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Guess what, real military sims, that are even more expensive and detailed than DCS (although it's getting closer...) often start missions engines & systems running, or in the air, etc.

No kidding. The use of pro simulators has nothing to do with DCS

Manual starting up is a part of this sim, to me.

So, normally and always I don't use auto-start.

But, if I test something about a mod for a cockpit or something, or learning a system of the aircraft or testing weapons etc., I use auto-start, or create a mission with "hot parking" or "on runway" option to start to fly faster.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Why don't you just say how you do it without insulting those who don't do it like you?

I made one post in response to people making multiple posts acting as if choosing to manual start every single time offers some sense of superiority over others who choose to just simply auto-start for whatever reason they choose.

"Is it a sim or a game?" Both.. it's a game in the simulation genre.

As far as I'm concerned, people are free to do what they want with whatever options Eagle Dynamics provides, or may provide in the future. It's good that there's an auto-start feature, as well as it's good that there's an option not to use it. Options = accessibility, and caters different perspectives and mindsets. As long as people aren't hacking game files for advantages over each other in engagement.. or even using lagswitches, the subject is a trivial matter.

Simply put, it's just a PC game guys. ;) And while the game does attract RL combat pilots.. the majority of us are armchair pilots no matter whether we manual start or auto-start.

Pardon me if when people toot their own horn, I feel like shoving a sock in the horn. I'm not "insulting people who don't do it like me." That's actually directed at those who seem to have the mindset that not manual starting makes someone less worthy of enjoying DCS World or a lesser virtual pilot. Quite the opposite of your insinuation. Someone else using auto-start where others prefer manual starting isn't taking anything away from either side,

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

If you are rantging about Auto start BUT you dont play with random faliures ON, then you are a hipocrit.

OH and no Start mission again.. no, you go to bed, no flying for you that day...

And of course its manatory to get to your PC two ours earlly drop by the weather shop, get some intel, and How many of you actually Write a debreifing?

Some scream realism! and have No idea what that means...

Oh and if you get shot down you should set yopur rig on fire LOL!!!

I’m just amazed at the responses, that it seems few people use the features ED works really hard to include in these modules. And the fact that, based upon feedback like this, they could dial down the fidelity of the aircraft. That would be very disappointing.

In other sims people clamor for this feature and here it’s not used at all.

You lost the point. I wouldnt as a customer buy anything other than high fidelity, even though i use autostart quite often for some planes.

The reason i and many others use Autostart has nothing to do with wanting simplied systems.

I use that option because of life and my limited time to be proficient in the more than 10 ACs that i own and regularly fly, and because from all parts of complex modern air combat jets, the startup sequence is the one that got me bored sooner, hence i do it when i have enough time and i skip it while doing others things in a normal life 25 min session.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

The reason i and many others use Autostart has nothing to do with wanting simplied systems.

It’s all good whatever your preference is. But it’s funny to want advanced systems but then skip using them. If too many players do this, DCS will just back off on the complexity. It’s a waste for them if nobody uses it.

Starting any of the aircraft is easy too. Literally the simplest part of the sim. I’m just surprised at how many people don’t use these features.

DCS is doomed... :cry:

When ED launches the simplified MAC versions of these aircraft they should remove the cheats from the full fidelity modules. Having an enforced challenge is all a part of gaming. Too many cheats spoil the accomplishment.

Edited by SharpeXB

It’s all good whatever your preference is. But it’s funny to want advanced systems but then skip using them. If too many players do this, DCS will just back off on the complexity. It’s a waste for them if nobody uses it.

Starting any of the aircraft is easy too. Literally the simplest part of the sim. I’m just surprised at how many people don’t use these features.

When ED launches the simplified MAC versions of these aircraft they should remove the cheats from the full fidelity modules. Having an enforced challenge is all a part of gaming. Too many cheats spoil the accomplishment.

I'm not sure where exactly you think ED is suddenly going to stop allowing people to manual start full fidelity pits just because people who aren't you use an auto-start feature that's been around as long as the sim has.

You're worrying yourself over nothing. The FC-3 level aircraft existed before DCS World did in a title called "Lock On". Without it, we wouldn't have the DCS World we know today. Until MAC they haven't created other simplified pits.. and the original hope was to give people more of an entry level experience into flight simming, i.e. a larger DCS World playerbase. I'm hopeful MAC still achieves that despite deviating from the original plan of it being another DCS module. Frankly, if MAC provides an ACE Combat level single player experience with DCS level flight models and feel.. It's just going to be one more weapon in my aresenal of flight sims, not that there are a plethora to choose from in this day and age, but I have access to most if not all of them.. heck it's easier for me to list the DCS modules I don't have a license for than the ones I do and DCS isn't the only sim I fly.

And I disagree, they shouldn't remove the auto-start feature. I enjoy my full fidelity pits, even if I choose to use a feature that saves me multiple clicks and at times craning my neck around and fumbling with my mouse going outside of the range of my VR view before I even get into the air..if I can even read the switch labels (tomcat *cough cough*)

Some people built cockpits with every switch of their favorite full fidelity pit, some people are more focused on flight and combat with minimal money spent on peripherals but just enough to not have to reach for their mouse. Mountain out of a molehill man. Enemy Within 3.0 for the A-10C - every mission except the introductory mission so far has been a cold start. Have fun. ;)

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Sorry, but i dont follow your logic, really. I can't see how a macro doing all the checklists will translate to going over simplified system. I'm sure at ED they won't understand it like that either. I state it again, just ED is gathering info over this:

" I Want full fidelity systems" period, i want them understanding that some part of them bore me sometimes, like cold starting them so i appreciate the help.

My fun comes afterwards: managing the TGP, the radar, creating a flight plan in flight, checking engine temperatures, checking in before combat, AAR, etc...

For all that i need all the systems simulated.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Hopefully they won't, I'm sure they won't. Just because you don't use autostarts doesn't mean everyone else should confirm to your choice or else go to MAC . You don't leave any room for those with limited time or whose interests are on other complexities of the aircraft, but who see startups as monotonous. Don't like it? Don't use it, but it's selfish gatekeeping to wish it taken away from others

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

...fault handling and emergency procedures...

You mean the Lshift+R sop? ;)

I don't get the time argument, because the auto-start don't save you any, even makes it longer as some of you say. Why don't you use the available options like hot-start or even air-start that actually save the time and make you get over even more boring parts like taxi, take-off and cruise to the AO?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

In a WWII aircraft, if you don’t do the startup you aren’t even using the cockpit at all.

The only way to reach this conclusion is to have never flown a WWII aircraft. You know, the ones where you actually have to manually fiddle with all kinds of bits in flight to not spontaneously combust rather than have it all automated? Just because you don't use the magneto switch and wobble pump in flight doesn't mean the cockpit isn't being used. That's an utterly ridiculous statement.

By the exact same logic, you're not using the cockpit when you do a manual cold start simply because you're not dropping bombs and firing your guns while doing so.

But it’s funny to want advanced systems but then skip using them.

Who said anything about skipping the advanced systems? Startup isn't advanced. Everything else is, and there's a fair chance that some of the startup systems are also needed in certain emergency procedures. The only thing more simplistic and uninvolved than startup is shut-down. Again, the only one who's even remotely suggesting that ED should reduce complexity is you. Why is that? Why don't you want to see full-sim modules like the ones that have made people buy into the DCS eco system?

You mean the Lshift+R sop? ;)

I don't get the time argument, because the auto-start don't save you any, even makes it longer as some of you say. Why don't you use the available options like hot-start or even air-start that actually save the time and make you get over even more boring parts like taxi, take-off and cruise to the AO?

Because you don't have any control over when hot start (much less air start) is available. That's determined by the mission. And auto start does indeed save you the time that would otherwise be spent pushing buttons and flipping switches — that time can instead be spent on looking up the mission or coordinating with other players or just going on a bathroom break.

It's a commercial break. Time is saved in a very similar way. In some cases, you can even fast-forward through it, just like the commercials.

Edited by Tippis

Conveniences?! In MY flight simulator?! No thanks, ban everyone who uses a keyboard, or has modifier keys on their HOTAS. Only real-life qualified fighter pilots allowed! I better not catch anyone having FUN D:<

Seriously that's how they sound, who cares if someone else uses a feature you don't want to

Edited by zezblit
Emojis are rip

Fly fast and leave a pretty wreck

I don't get the time argument, because the auto-start don't save you any, even makes it longer as some of you say.

I can’t say for sure since I rarely ever use the auto start, but I can’t see how it would be faster. I also set up my checklist to perform the tasks that have to run like an INS to go first while I’m doing something else. Or I use the alignment time to read the briefing.

I tend to do coldstarts every time, but that's because I like learning the procedure even though I'll never get to use it in real life.

I also don't care if others autostart. It retracts absolutely nothing from my experience if others do or don't what so ever, and I really don't give two dead, flat hoots about the option being there. It's there out of convenience for those that wants to use it, and annoyance to silly tosspots with a superiority-complex.

Basically: You do you, let others do themselves. It's no skin off your back that others do or don't use autostart.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

I don’t care what people do offline or in coop but I mean it does affect you in pvp because if the option wasn’t there people would forget things or not be able to do them. Try going into a dogfight without remembering to turn on your radar or turn on your RWR. I’ve forgotten to do those things and it’s cost me. I get that it’s a game it just seems silly to me that people can master the process of bringing the jet and all it’s systems to life or you can get shot down by someone that can’t be bothered because they used a short cut. I’m sure a lot of the same people don’t don’t create waypoints or flight plans in their aircraft but use the mission editor for everything. So many people are constantly complaining about missing features and missing items but it’s like you guys don’t use the features in the jets already so what’s the point lol. I also work 50 hours a week and have a wife and 4 month old and I don’t feel like cold starting an aircraft is taking away noticeable amounts of time. It’s just a game and none of this matters anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk