Who auto starts their aircraft

CBenson89

Sorry. I typed too fast.

DCS is not simulating a simulator.

Ok, now i'm done.

Who ever said that DCS simulates a simulator?

I'm just comparing two flight simulators.

One is used by adults fully understanding that simulating every flight from ramp to ramp is not efficient way to practice.

And the other is used partially by elitist snobs believing that they are somehow better because they do not cheat, blind to the fact that cheating is core of any simulator.

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't same DCS is an arcade game.

And likewise, I never suggested that you did. I gave examples of arcade features, and I asked you for examples of what in DCS would offer anything similar. I even asked if you could be more clear in your definition of “arcade”.

Also, when I said DCs is dumbed down I wasn't talking about auto start and game mode.
Really? You said that “DCS is dumbed down in a lot of areas but those two are the worst”, and that was immediately after describing two things: game mode and autostart. It's kind of difficult to read “those two” as referencing something else at that point, but fine, if you say so.

Do you want an example of dumbed down? How about ATC? Compare it to BMS.
That's not really “dumbed down”, though. It is just non-interactive and hugely incomplete. Dumbed-down ATC would be something like, as soon as you get within the airport envelope, you get auto-tuned to the right frequencies and told what to do; you get bright neon overlays showing you the patterns and collisions warnings — things that a real ATC would just tell you (or even just assume you knew beforehand) and that you'd then have to keep track of on your own.

To make the comparison with a different genre: taking a good racing line through a corner can be tricky. This can be dumbed down by having a racing line painted on the asphalt, further dumbed down if it's colour-coded with break, release, and throttle-on points, and made almost pointless if there's racing-line “stiction” where you just have to get it kind-of-right and the car stays on the line at the right speed automatically. At that point, we're really getting into arcade territory.

Something that doesn't exist isn't dumbed down, It's just… well… not there, for better or worse. It's the racing corner without tire marks or kerbs to give you points of reference and feedback on where you are and where you should be. Not realistic and less complex, but not really “dumbed down” either.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

One is used by adults fully understanding that simulating every flight from ramp to ramp is not efficient way to practice.

I don’t quite understand how Auto Start is related to practice. If I want to practice something, I would just go straight to an air start or even the runway start to practice takeoff. There’s an instant action “Ready on the Ramp” if you just want to practice on the ground with the aircraft started.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I don’t quite understand how Auto Start is related to practice.

Server is set to cold starts, but offers an otherwise an excellent guided training environment, except you don't care about the startup.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I start enough airplanes at my job every day, I don't want to sit there and fire one up in a game at home. I'm not missing anything this sim has to offer by not starting my jet. Hot starts always.

That reminds me of when I saw some truck driver simulator had a washington state dlc featuring my cancerous neighbor to the north, Seattle. The first thing I thought was "wow, now I can get home from my commute, fire up the computer and simulate sitting in traffic on the same strip of i-5 I just got off of!" Yep, I did a hard pass on that one

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I do cold starts because I enjoy it that way, same as I always try to AAR in missions and servers - because I like it

Ryzen 3600X - RTX 2080 - 32 GB Ram - DCS on SSD.

DCS Modules : M2K-C, F18-C, FW-190D, Huey, Gazelle, Black Shark, Mig-15, all maps.

OP could have put a poll and at least we could have gotten some stats outta this

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Yeah that guys a jerk

:lol::megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

It's fun to run through the start procedure once or twice on a new module, but its not full fidelity when there's zero issues that can ever go wrong. It's more a simple and pretty CPT than any starting simulator. We never started anything up on a simulator, the time was too valuable for actual systems training to waste on what was begun week one in basic system school in a plywood cockpit procedures trainer.

If I'm forced to spend all the time doing it, I want to get paid. It's a whopping difference when you know your aircraft can explode someone get killed if you F it up, verses stubbing your nail on a keyboard at the most.

100% this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nealius View Post

I have a full-time job, cook and clean for myself, and regularly go to the gym and enjoy other hobbies. During the work season there just isn't time for "proper" starts, so I either do an auto start or a hot ramp start most of the time.

During vacation periods when I have more free time I'll do full cold starts.

The argument against auto starts or hot starts purely boils down to gate-keeping arrogance, i.e. "I'm better than those auto start plebs." Same with the sim vs. game argument. Are you using this simulator to train to real life? No? Then it technically isn't a simulator in the true sense, especially when you consider that "simulator" could apply to DCS, Xplane, P3D, FS2020, yet the difference in fidelity among these titles is quite large.

100% this

+ those and also I have no space left on my desktop to operate with a mouse freely to open that, set this etc.

Trust me I'm an engineer, I love fiddling with buttons and knobs all day long but in a very cramped setup, totally no.

Edited by Azorath

In general I like to do a cold start. Adds to the realism.

However when I'm practicing specific things, I want to optimize my time and I often create a mission with the conditions set right, with the plane already at altitude so I can focus on practicing what I want instead of spending 10 min starting up the plane, taxiing, taking off and flying to the zone, only to be killed a minute later...

Based on this discussion ED could save a lot of money and time developing these modules. The WWII aircraft wouldn’t even need clickable cockpits since that’s all just used to start up.

I would not agree with this decision but if nobody uses these features they get hard to justify.

Use it or lose it people!

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I would not agree with this decision but if nobody uses these features they get hard to justify.

Good thing that nothing even remotely is the case or has ever been suggested, then, since that would be a pretty silly and unsupported idea. Especially since the infinitely more intelligent and inclusive option already exists: a heavily standardised auto-start script available as an option for those who want to use it.

It's almost as if slippery-slope arguments were fallacies or something…

It's not completely without value, if your into studying what's actually behind those switches and how their system works. It may prove useful as the damage models get more complex. For instance the hydraulics interconnects and how they function, what they run is vital information on the Tomcat if damage to these becomes a thing. So start and function checks will exercise your muscle memory where the system is and help build knowledge about it, giving you the ability to save the jet in a combat damaged state. That'd pay off.

.. I think some of your heads would explode without something to argue about or speak negatively of.

The option being there takes nothing away from the people who prefer to click all the switches, push all the buttons, and move their throttles from off to idle. But congratulations to those of you stroking your own egos because you refuse to ever hit Lwin+Home.

Personally, I'll generally learn the startup sequence, but tend to use auto-start once I've done so because it takes less effort. I'm sitting on my butt in front of a computer entertaining myself like the rest of you. By the time I'm facing any of you in MP I'm using the same systems and hotas commands that everyone else is.

OH.. sometimes I also use labels in SP. Sue me.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.