Laser problems.

Lee1

Hi Guys. Now, please, before all the RTFI posts that may be in the pipeline, I HAVE RTFI and can't find the answer. I may have missed it, I may not have understood it, but i HAVE read it so please bear with my ignorance.

When using laser guidence for the rockets and bombs, I frequently Get a "B" or "P" symbol where the "L" should be and nothing guides with both IPKWS rockets and LGBs just going ballistic. Haven't used Laser Mavs yet so can't say about that. The first couple of rockets work as advertised and then it seems to go wrong. I only leave the laser onwhen needed (ie point, launch, wait, terminal guide) on rockets and illuminate an LGB target for about ten seconds. Using F6 it's obvious when they start guiding.

I know the laser will stop functioning if over used but after I have taken it from saf to on I only fire it when I want to guide/ Have I missed something here?

Thanks

Lee

Hi!

You probably changed from laser to IR laser (for visual marking) and "B" stands for both. You can change the type of the laser by clicking DMS right when TGP is SOI.

Hope it helps!!!

BR

This is correct - and you are also able to get another visual cue from the TGP as the gate (or crosshair) will display as a Maltese Cross, rather than the standard gate (cross hair).

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

i looked for this myself a few days ago. i did find the answer about the blinking laser letter in chuck's guide page 69.

"Laser Status (based on AHCP Switches)

T: Training Selected

P: IR Pointer Armed

L: Laser Armed

B: Both Laser & IR Pointer Armed"

page 262 "23. On AHCP (Armament HUD Control Panel), set TGP switch ON ( to power up the targeting pod"23.

On AHCP (Armament HUD Control Panel), set TGP switch ON (UP) to power up the targeting pod"

so know i know what AHCP is. i still am not sure how to toggle the modes.

i too have been lacerated before by forum junkies for lack of effort and was a little shy to post up. :-) but i did eventually find the answer. and honestly, i fly, get into a problem, do some research. and each time i read a manual or watch a video, i understand a bit more of the systems. this post totally cleared it up for me.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Thanks guys, I'll look out for that and see what I can do to rctify this. Thanks for the explanations.

Just got Chuck's guide and working through it.

Normally search for a vido tutorial but haven't seen one on this yet.

Thanks again

Lee

I think it should be in most tutorials regarding TGP. For example in this one from Gream Reapers, starting 10:58:

It's also described in A-10C II manual in TGP section, pages 320-332.

i looked for this myself a few days ago. i did find the answer about the blinking laser letter in chuck's guide page 69.

"Laser Status (based on AHCP Switches)

T: Training Selected

P: IR Pointer Armed

L: Laser Armed

B: Both Laser & IR Pointer Armed"

page 262 "23. On AHCP (Armament HUD Control Panel), set TGP switch ON ( to power up the targeting pod"23.

On AHCP (Armament HUD Control Panel), set TGP switch ON (UP) to power up the targeting pod"

so know i know what AHCP is. i still am not sure how to toggle the modes.

i too have been lacerated before by forum junkies for lack of effort and was a little shy to post up. :-) but i did eventually find the answer. and honestly, i fly, get into a problem, do some research. and each time i read a manual or watch a video, i understand a bit more of the systems. this post totally cleared it up for me.

"Blinking" L, or a flashing L means the laser is firing.

You change the modes (laser, IR pointer, both) with DMSRS with TGP as SOI.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Thanks guys, I'll look out for that and see what I can do to rctify this. Thanks for the explanations.

Just got Chuck's guide and working through it.

Thanks again

Lee

Feel free to PM me with questions regarding the A10C I/II and any functions, happy to help.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Hi Guys. Now, please, before all the RTFI posts that may be in the pipeline, I HAVE RTFI and can't find the answer. I may have missed it, I may not have understood it, but i HAVE read it so please bear with my ignorance.

It's described in detail in the official manual detail on page 329 and following. ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yup, that was the problem. Fixed now thanks.

Glad you got it sorted out, happy employing of freedom in the future!

Cheers,

Ziptie

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/15/2022 at 8:13 PM, DN308 said:

Sorry for that but is there a solution to make thé laser working again when it stops during  à flight? Procedure ?

About the only thing the pilot could do would be to turn the TGP power off and turn it back on 10 seconds later and hope it works. Otherwise you’ll have to get someone else to lase your bombs

• Thanks 1