ED has raised the DCS system requirements on the steam store page (GTX 1070 is now listed as a minimum for low settings).

statrekmike

31 minutes ago, NineLine said:

Guys, honestly, I don't see a huge performance change right now with 2.7, so guys still with lower cards than a 1070 will still have similar results they have now, but really the requirements will continue to climb. We want to set expectations for users coming in and for the future.

Try not to panic right now.

We'll have to take your word for it, but we've done this song and dance before. I've seen devs jump their minimums up just to cover for poor optimization and ED always seems reluctant to do anything about that particular topic. What they have done is appreciated, don't get me wrong. But, still, more is needed. A lot more. The threads on texture size and rendering would be a good start.

• Like 8

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

9 minutes ago, 3WA said:

Yeah, I have an old GTX-770.  Already hitting about 60 fps on low graphics.  If I drop to 45 or so,  no HUGE deal.

I prefer DCS to keep on moving forward.  Graphics cards will eventually come down in price.

Besides, you don't HAVE to upgrade.  Just wait until you can buy a new machine that can handle it.

Here in Japan graphics cards never go down in price. They just disappear off shelves then increase in price 😭 The 2080Ti averages $2,000~3,000. Cheapest I can find is $1,800.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

I have an RTX2070 ,32g RAM and 1TB SSD,still can not get satisfying performance in MP,only 30~50 fps.

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

• ED Team
53 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Wow, even an RTX2070 isn't enough for recommended VR settings? $1000 just for a video card is rather unacceptable....

That's recommended, not minimum. Recommended is usually suggesting the better hardware.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

56 minutes ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

We'll have to take your word for it, but we've done this song and dance before. I've seen devs jump their minimums up just to cover for poor optimization and ED always seems reluctant to do anything about that particular topic. What they have done is appreciated, don't get me wrong. But, still, more is needed. A lot more. The threads on texture size and rendering would be a good start.

After experiencing the Great Merge from 1.5.x to 2.x.x, how the new engine was pushed to the limits instead of used for optimization, and the recurring memory leaks that led to shifting the goal posts via upping RAM requirements, I fear the same cycle will repeat with 2.7 and all future engine "upgrades." I hope I'm wrong, but experience says otherwise...

I also don't put stock into performance the developers and community managers/PR people claim they get. For one there's bias to sell the product, but more importantly it's clear that they do not run the exact same build that goes out to consumers, as evidenced by the huge discrepancies in performance and bugs experienced by a large portion of the community versus those experienced--or not experienced--by the people representing the company. If they were on the same build they would get the same performance and bugs as we do...

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 4

If you want better graphics and VR and all that nice stuff, you can't expect the system requirements to stay the same as they were 10 years ago. 

It's good that ED updated the recommended system requirements i guess. It's much more realistic now. 

Most important now is that DCS is going to evolve and starts to make better use of those system resources. 

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nealius said:

After experiencing the Great Merge from 1.5.x to 2.x.x, how the new engine was pushed to the limits instead of used for optimization, and the recurring memory leaks that led to shifting the goal posts via upping RAM requirements, I fear the same cycle will repeat with 2.7 and all future engine "upgrades." I hope I'm wrong, but experience says otherwise...

I also don't put stock into performance the developers and community managers/PR people claim they get. For one there's bias to sell the product, but more importantly it's clear that they do not run the exact same build that goes out to consumers, as evidenced by the huge discrepancies in performance and bugs experienced by a large portion of the community versus those experienced--or not experienced--by the people representing the company. If they were on the same build they would get the same performance and bugs as we do...

9L's been one to give it to us without too much market spin in the past, but I understand your frustration. The whole DCS engine itself is held together by ducttape and hope at this point.

• Like 5

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

Wow, even an RTX2070 isn't enough for recommended VR settings? $1000 just for a video card is rather unacceptable....

$1000 for a GPU + $500 for a CPU + $200 possible new motherboard + $300 possible new RAM. Not to miss possible new PSU.

The display players are often easily just capable lower something. But VR users not so much.   

Upgrading just the GPU is not often enough as you need to feed that card as well. Hence other components requires upgrading.

But as Nineline has osteen said in his testing, 2.7 was same patience as now.

But this is as much about what could be done already with texture optimization.

But we need to wait and see what vulcan does. As we right now have 80% of our computers calculation resources unutilized. But that doesn't touch texture memories for GPU.

Those games minimal hardware requirements are often little over, just to ease support people workload and free programmers work for new tech.

I think I could get DCS run nicely in 10 years old CPU and 5 years old GPU, with 16 GB RAM. But it would take little doing.

But I wouldn't expect it to be most beautiful graphically.

That is something I agree here that texture quality could be lowered with rough hand for older setups.

But there is times when one just needs upgrade PC. And DCS requires pretty big jumps. But it is not ED fault either that there are idiotic prices demands for GPU as well HOTAS....

Without performance demands, I would already own Pimax best offerings. But when DCS can't run it no matter hardware, I gladly go to second best thing, Rift S. I can ease HW requirements heavily with acceptable drop in quality.

I trust Nineline comments, but I am preparing +/-10% performance differences.

• Thanks 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Interesting but what resolution ? I play 1080P high settings (getting ~45fps in the caucasus) with a gtx970.

Though I can see why my config is really starting to get bad with current DCS, Syria map is barely (sometimes isn't at all) playable because of the stutters. 

I guess Marianna's map will probably feel pretty bad too. 

Yeah, I guess you can really see the difference between old DCS (current Caucasus map) that runs totally fine and future DCS (Syria) that is barely playable.

Makes sense to up the requirements, especially if the free Mariana's map is going to be hungry in resources. 

Now it's up to me to find a GPU in these ridiculous times (I kid you not, I laughed out loud when I found out the gtx 1070 was 800$ 😂)

• Like 2

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

23 minutes ago, notproplayer3 said:

Interesting but what resolution ? I play 1080P high settings (getting ~45fps in the caucasus) with a gtx970.

Though I can see why my config is really starting to get bad with current DCS, Syria map is barely (sometimes isn't at all) playable because of the stutters. 

I guess Marianna's map will probably feel pretty bad too. 

Yeah, I guess you can really see the difference between old DCS (current Caucasus map) that runs totally fine and future DCS (Syria) that is barely playable.

Makes sense to up the requirements, especially if the free Mariana's map is going to be hungry in resources. 

Now it's up to me to find a GPU in these ridiculous times (I kid you not, I laughed out loud when I found out the gtx 1070 was 800$ 😂)

I had to kick Syria down to low on my old 970. But, it ran pretty smooth after that while also still looking pretty good. 

I actually expect Marianas to run better than Syria, though.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, NineLine said:

Guys, honestly, I don't see a huge performance change right now with 2.7

Thanks NineLine. That's comforting to read :thumbup:

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• ED Team

only requirement for 2.7 is dropping windows 7 support. 

thanks 

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi  @NineLine  @BIGNEWY

As LucShep mentionned in one of his comments, several threads are pointing out the lack of optimization for textures, wasting large amounts of VRAM:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/243199-suggestion-to-ed-and-3rd-parties-devs-size-and-formats-of-dds

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/248043-32-bit-normal-maps/

In none of those threads there are any ED staff reply. Is this problem aknowledged by ED? Is it intended? Is it looked upon?

Edited by Mad_Shell
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Fri13 said:

$1000 for a GPU + $500 for a CPU + $200 possible new motherboard + $300 possible new RAM. Not to miss possible new PSU.

Aren't we exagerating this a bit .. I replaced my GPU a few months ago and kept my processor, motherboard, RAM and PSU ... my upgrade was from a GTX-970 to a GTX-1070TI ... the card was purchased second hand and the cost was around US$ 400.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

38 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Aren't we exagerating this a bit .. I replaced my GPU a few months ago and kept my processor, motherboard, RAM and PSU ... my upgrade was from a GTX-970 to a GTX-1070TI ... the card was purchased second hand and the cost was around US$ 400.

Nope. As if you go for high end GPU, then you want high end CPU with it to feed it. And DCS is more CPU demanding than GPU, so better go for it.

And if one does CPU upgrade, it can lead to MB upgrade and same time to possibly to memory upgrade as well if those two can't support new CPU or GPU.

The GTX1070 is already two generations older. It is compatible with the 970 era hardware and as well for performances.

The fact is, one doing a upgrade for a $1000

GPU can be required to make bigger investment to support that upgrade.

42 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

Nope. As if you go for high end GPU, then you want high end CPU with it to feed it....

You seem to be stuck on that point of view ... OF COURSE, I would upgrade every single item of my PC if I had enough budget ... but it is not always strictly needed, I upgraded just the GPU and my fps increased 40%. And I already had 32 GB of DDR4 memory .. what would have been the point on increasing it to 64?   

45 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

The GTX1070 is already two generations older. It is compatible with the 970 era hardware and as well for performances.

As any benchmark would tell you, the 1070ti is almost 50% faster than the 970 and it is not the same generation, the 1070 is one generation newer.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

17 hours ago, Enduro14 said:

Save money for upgrades....

Upgrades, if we are speaking of GPU's, are not available and may not be for quite some time. Secondly, one who would like to upgrade from their current, say 1070, to a 2000 series card, or even a 1080 will need to pay in excess of $1200+... the GPU market right now is an absolute nightmare. Used 1000 and 2000 series GPUs are more expensive than the msrp of the 3000 series cards... which are all out of stock. For perspective: I purchased my brand new EVGA 1070 SC card for $393.89 on Amazon in 2017. You can now get a used one for $701.99 (plus $8 shipping 🙂)

Perhaps the moral of the story? GPU prices never go down with time. 

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

You seem to be stuck on that point of view ... OF COURSE, I would upgrade every single item of my PC if I had enough budget ... but it is not always strictly needed, I upgraded just the GPU and my fps increased 40%. And I already had 32 GB of DDR4 memory .. what would have been the point on increasing it to 64?   

You are stuck to idea now that I am saying opposite than I am. Read again.

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

As any benchmark would tell you, the 1070ti is almost 50% faster than the 970 and it is not the same generation, the 1070 is one generation newer.

Read again, I didn't talk about the performance. I talked about compatibility with hardware and the price range. If you pair 3080 with a 10 years old CPU, you are not going to get performance out of it as you would get with a CPU that is capable to maximize its performance. Hence it is not wise to upgrade one single piece as GPU to old PC that can't deliver the value of the money. 

5 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

If you pair 3080 with a 10 years old CPU, you are not going to get performance out of it ...

Who would be using a 10 year old processor with DCS and yet have the money to consider purchasing a 3080 ? who?

I had a couple of years old Ryzen 3600 (like a lot of people, most users upgrade processor every 3 years), so I could get a lot of improvement changing just the GPU ... and I don't think that I'm an exception in this regard.

Amazing, the lengths one person can go to avoid admiting that he was exagerating his case.  🙄

12 hours ago, Nealius said:

Here in Japan graphics cards never go down in price. They just disappear off shelves then increase in price 😭 The 2080Ti averages $2,000~3,000. Cheapest I can find is $1,800.

... here in Portugal those values are roughly equivalent to 2,5 and 4 times the minimum monthly wage.

(And in many other parts of the world it can surelly be even worst.)

I do appreciate DCS a LOT, but I won't start spending ridiculous amounts of money on hardware in a foreseable future.

• Like 3

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB