Window wipers?

oscar19681

Are they functional in any module that has them? They usually move, but not actually do anything of note.

• Like 10

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, quite a few modules have functioning wipers (Hind, Mi-8, Huey, Ka-50), and while it's animated, it doesn't actually any wipe rain off, hopefully planned improvements to the weather system will change that.

• Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Even Gazelle has functional wipers but has no rain droplets at all on canopy (yet, I hope. I really hope they will overhaul her nicely because she has excellent view for flying, sorry for offtopic, but how they're flying gazellas is main reason why I like them)

• Like 3

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

7 minutes ago, jagheterjan said:

Unless ED come up with some novel way to do it that noone else in the industry pulled off, functional wipers in the sim will eat silly amounts of VRAM.

This worked perfectly fine in the 1998(?) Apache vs. Havoc Sim - working whipers removing rain drops from the windscreen.

• Like 3

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Then tech changed and nowadays it's quite the effort to do just right. All the other games that feature the effect (That I'm aware of) do it by blending texture sets through a shader, which comes with a sizable memory footprint but is relatively simple to do codewise so relatively easily do but things fall apart quickly on the user's end if they don't have the VRAM to spare. With today's EDGE, VRAM is something notoriously short for most of the DCS userbase. But we're getting offtopic - let's just wait and see if and how they do it, k?

Edited by jagheterjan

1 hour ago, jagheterjan said:

Unless ED come up with some novel way to do it that noone else in the industry pulled off, functional wipers in the sim will eat silly amounts of VRAM.

XPlane has a plugin, made by a third party developer for free use that has functioning window wipers. The effect is not perfect, but if a single person can create this, I'm sure ED could do so as well.

• Like 4

On 11/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, Enduro14 said:

Yup be really cool for all the rotorwing, just adds to immersion...

+1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

On 11/19/2021 at 11:31 PM, Morrov said:

XPlane has a plugin, made by a third party developer for free use that has functioning window wipers. The effect is not perfect, but if a single person can create this, I'm sure ED could do so as well.

Many wonderful things can be created by a single person, sometimes in an amazingly short time. 

But that doesn't mean that we will see something like that and other things in the near future.

In terms of extra immersion... I'd be interested to know from any of the Apache guys whether its canopy was susceptible, in desert conditions, to getting dusty. There are plenty of photos of Chinooks and Black Hawks with dust-covered glass, but hard to find any of the Apache. I'm guessing the sponsons block a lot of the dust or just because the cockpit is fairly high off the ground?

It would be interesting, in appropriate modules, to have dust accumulate on the glass over time, particularly during landings/take-offs/low hovers, and then need to wipe it off.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Wouldn't the rotor downwash get rid of the dust though? I would imagine the same would be true of rainfall, unless it was really pouring. But I imagine the engineers put the wipers there for a reason. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

3 hours ago, LooseSeal said:

In terms of extra immersion... I'd be interested to know from any of the Apache guys whether its canopy was susceptible, in desert conditions, to getting dusty. There are plenty of photos of Chinooks and Black Hawks with dust-covered glass, but hard to find any of the Apache. I'm guessing the sponsons block a lot of the dust or just because the cockpit is fairly high off the ground?

It would be interesting, in appropriate modules, to have dust accumulate on the glass over time, particularly during landings/take-offs/low hovers, and then need to wipe it off.

Startups yeah, but running I haven’t seen too much stick to the canopy after startup. It happens. I just haven’t seen it. 

I think it also has to deal with what they clean the windows with too but idk

If it sticks then it’ll start to cake on, it won’t come off with just blowing on it and when you turn the wipers on if you have to it creates some sick scratches. Generally the peeps I know just wash the windows prior to flight. I’m sure there’s a crew chief on here somewhere. 

Also at @LooseSeal it also depends on the type of dust or environment.  If it's like that thick moondust, that stuff is miserable.  If it's like normal kinda sand and what not it doesn't stick too bad.  

Edited by kgillers3

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Wouldn't the rotor downwash get rid of the dust though? I would imagine the same would be true of rainfall, unless it was really pouring. But I imagine the engineers put the wipers there for a reason. 

If it sticks no, and in reference to rain yeah, most of the time if it’s raining I dont have to turn them on and depending on the aircraft, the example below had atrocious wipers.  some wipers are good and some aren’t. 

I mean the bell jet ranger doesn’t even have wipers, you just kick it outta trim for a second and continue. Referencing the effects of relative wind in forward flight. 

F604FDC7-1CEA-48B5-9E71-28E6B0CE480D.jpeg

Edited by kgillers3
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, LooseSeal said:

Apaches would normally operate from more or less prepared terrain, whereas transports would be required to land everywhere on unprepared terrain to deliver the goods/troupes).

• ED Team
4 hours ago, Wrcknbckr said:

Apaches would normally operate from more or less prepared terrain, whereas transports would be required to land everywhere on unprepared terrain to deliver the goods/troupes).

Not sure about the case in other militaries, but US Army AH-64s often land to very un-prepared areas, even FARPs set up in talcum powder-like "moon" dust.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head