TWS - AUTO/MAN

Nahemoth

DCS mimics the real life aircraft controls as much as possible. The AUTO/MAN swap is done through the display that the radar is on. You'd have to map a key to the specific MFD button that corresponds to the radar mode. There is no direct button to switch. There maybe a HOTAS command for it, but I can't remember now.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

4 hours ago, Nahemoth said:

Hi,

Does exist any keybind for changing between AUTO and MAN for TWS radar mode?

Thanks!

Hi, you can map "Right MDI PB13" to switch between AUTO and MAN (once in TWS mode). I also have "Right MDI PB5" mapped to switch between RWS and TWS mode...obviously this assumes you have your attack radar on the right MFD. If not then obviously swap right for left

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

hace 35 minutos, zildac dijo:

Hi, you can map "Right MDI PB13" to switch between AUTO and MAN (once in TWS mode). I also have "Right MDI PB5" mapped to switch between RWS and TWS mode...obviously this assumes you have your attack radar on the right MFD. If not then obviously swap right for left

Thank you for the advise, very useful.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Foka said:

Unfortunately in DCS in AUTO you can't change radar elevation.

What he means is that offboard tracks should be able to be designated as L&S without ownship radar contribution ('NO RDR' cue on TD box), so elevation control would be unnecessary.

• Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

And also AUTO should be closer to TWS AUTO in the F-14, where the azimuth and elevation bars are automatically adjusted to maintain as many trackfiles as possible, with the limits prioritizing the L&S, DT2 and then stepping down through the ranks.

• Like 4

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, norman99 said:

So not simply centring on the L&S? That’s interesting, and significantly more useful.

Yes, TWS AUTO can use any combination of azimuth, elevation and elevation bars settings it sees fit (even things like 3B, which are not accessible manually) in order to maintain as many MSI trackfiles as possible. The scan pattern is adjusted based on a set of priorities, with the highest being the L&S, then DT2, then Rank 1, then Rank 2 etc (designating a trackfile does not change its rank, like it currently happens in DCS). And obviously, it's also based around a minimum trackfile update rate.

Do keep in mind that MSI trackfiles also include non-radar trackfiles (the L&S can also be a non-radar trackfile), so when initiating TWS AUTO, it will adjust to detect these as well, if applicable.

So, if we get a proper implementation of MSI and TWS AUTO, it'll essentially be a system that allows for significantly hands-free operation, because it will adjust the scan pattern by itself, based on both radar, datalink and other MSI data. It'll always try to keep the most important targets within the scan pattern, so you won't have to make azimuth and elevation adjustments yourself. Fingers crossed we actually get it.

Edited by Harker
  • Like 7

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

15 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Use the TDC to select the option...

I know that this is possible, but I will avoid it as much as possible.

You don't want to waste time in a BVR/ACM and slewen somewhere with the cursor.

I put the MFD button on the hotas, everything else costs too much time.

• Like 1

I know that this is possible, but I will avoid it as much as possible.
You don't want to waste time in a BVR/ACM and slewen somewhere with the cursor.
I put the MFD button on the hotas, everything else costs too much time.

It would be fine if ED fixed the slew rate...

That and AUTO should be be selected when a AMRAAM is launched.

I just don't worry about most of the time and just work the radar. Pretty simple when using the AZ/EL as one press will adjust azimuth and elevation.

On 1/28/2022 at 5:05 AM, zildac said:

I did the same, plus RSET and Azimuth buttons, RMFD only, all on a 4-way HAT in modifier state 🙂

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2022 at 10:50 AM, Harker said:

Yes, TWS AUTO can use any combination of azimuth, elevation and elevation bars settings it sees fit (even things like 3B, which are not accessible manually) in order to maintain as many MSI trackfiles as possible. The scan pattern is adjusted based on a set of priorities, with the highest being the L&S, then DT2, then Rank 1, then Rank 2 etc (designating a trackfile does not change its rank, like it currently happens in DCS). And obviously, it's also based around a minimum trackfile update rate.

Do keep in mind that MSI trackfiles also include non-radar trackfiles (the L&S can also be a non-radar trackfile), so when initiating TWS AUTO, it will adjust to detect these as well, if applicable.

So, if we get a proper implementation of MSI and TWS AUTO, it'll essentially be a system that allows for significantly hands-free operation, because it will adjust the scan pattern by itself, based on both radar, datalink and other MSI data. It'll always try to keep the most important targets within the scan pattern, so you won't have to make azimuth and elevation adjustments yourself. Fingers crossed we actually get it.

Indeed. 👍

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Can someone clarify what benefit there is to RWS? I have been wondering if the only use is simply for AIM7 missiles? For everything else it would appear that TWS is the way to go...

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

PB10 in STT will enter TWS AUTO, sadly, DCS currently clears all memory when you exit STT, hopefully ED will fix it sometime...

If all of the bugs and missing major features of the F/A-18C were fixed/implemented, A/A would be much much more fluid to navigate.

35 minutes ago, Willie Nelson said:

Can someone clarify what benefit there is to RWS? I have been wondering if the only use is simply for AIM7 missiles? For everything else it would appear that TWS is the way to go...

You get a wide search volume (140 degrees) as opposed to the more narrow one in TWS, and if it was implemented correctly, depressing on the RDR ATTK in RWS would center the scan volume. Typically RWS is used during the sanitization (pre-commit) phase of an intercept. You would switch to TWS during MELD & SORT.

• Like 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

AIM-7 has nothing to do with RWS vs. TWS, as the missile requires STT in order to track (aside from HOJ).

RWS permits larger scan volumes for general search, as TWS has azimuth/bar-scan limits.

EDIT: Sniped, nice shot @MARLAN_

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

1 minute ago, Tholozor said:

AIM-7 has nothing to do with RWS vs. TWS, as the missile requires STT in order to track (aside from HOJ).

RWS permits larger scan volumes for general search, as TWS has azimuth/bar-scan limits.

EDIT: Sniped, nice shot @MARLAN_

😉

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

9 hours ago, MARLAN_ said:

PB10 in STT will enter TWS AUTO, sadly, DCS currently clears all memory when you exit STT, hopefully ED will fix it sometime...

If all of the bugs and missing major features of the F/A-18C were fixed/implemented, A/A would be much much more fluid to navigate.

Indeed. 👍 I think that it'd be cool/helpful if the mods would create a sticky Hornet Radar bug tracker thread. I think the radar in any modern fighter is, aside from the flight model itself, THE heart of the aircraft and it is probably the most complex and sensitive set of systems to simulate in DCS. 

• Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

1 hour ago, VDV said:

A side question: is Hornet's TWS better than Viper one? 

Very much so. The Hornet has longer range and greater azumoth, I believe it tracks more targets, and has much better logic overall. No need to manually create system trackifles or whatever.  18 is slightly better as of now in DCS, but it should be no competition in A/A really.