AH-64D VR

Zap921

Just did a little flying around and was very smooth.  For those that say they're getting low fps or stutters, if you've only tuned your VR for aircrafts like the f-16/18 types, you're gonna have to dial your settings down a bit.  I noticed when I was tuning mine, that the 16/18 were great, but the A-10C2 cockpit was stuttering a lot, so I dialed everything down until the A-10C2 was also smooth, hence why my VR transition to the Apache was probably smooth.  Now if I can overcome being overwhelmed with trying to map the controls of this thing I might be able to have some more fun!

5900x | 3090 | HP Reverb G2

@Wychmaster Thank you. I will try this settings.

I may have found out what caused my troubles. I reduced the fov to 90%. Didn’t cause any trouble back then, but when I reversed it the warping was gone (knock on wood).

Nevertheless. Performance can always be improved! 😁

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

So far with the Aero I am finding performance with the Apache about the same as I get with the Hornet.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

hi, 

completely re-install gave me good FPS,
Test with 8kx, i7, 3060ti, 32G

only cloud ultra, water high, texture high, and everything is in VR settings.

streamVR: pixel density 1.25, default settings 

before: 10-15fps

after clean re-install: 30-35 fps

What might have helped ? 
I had some mods though.

37 minutes ago, gman066 said:

hi, 

completely re-install gave me good FPS,
Test with 8kx, i7, 3060ti, 32G

only cloud ultra, water high, texture high, and everything is in VR settings.

streamVR: pixel density 1.25, default settings 

before: 10-15fps

after clean re-install: 30-35 fps

What might have helped ? 
I had some mods though.

There is a big clue there...

:renske:

I never run Mods, and never seem to have any odd performance issues.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

24 minutes ago, davidrbarnette said:

Just an update:

Setting textures to medium, visibility range to low, and most importantly, changing the IHADDS rendering from "right eye only" to "both" seems to have solved my FPS issues.

Fps with the flir? I noticed this was a bit laggy when head turning but the actual game seemed fine. Assumed it was a feature....

So far it’s been pretty smooth on my system with a RTX3090 and 128G RAM with a G2 headset. I’ll have to see if the settings posted here make any improvements. I have not tried it online or in a beefy mission. Most of the flying is just small scenarios to get used to it. I do find this helicopter harder to fly than the Hind or Huey. I’m starting to get used to the trim and all but it’s going to take some practice for sure! To me it feels under powered when you have rockets & Hellfire missiles onboard. It could be I’m not used to it but I’m having a heck of a time hovering. Also this whole VRS thing I feel is over done in almost all the helos. in my opinion.

The additions to the Syria map are really nice. It’s nice to have more options to fly from & make missions. I took the F16 up yesterday and flew all over the new areas and they added a heck of a lot! I haven’t tried the Apache on any of the other maps yet but I’m curious if the other maps besides the Marianas gives a boost in performance? Thanks for posting your settings. I’ll give those a go later tonight.

1 hour ago, davidrbarnette said:

Just an update:

Setting textures to medium, visibility range to low, and most importantly, changing the IHADDS rendering from "right eye only" to "both" seems to have solved my FPS issues.

I wasn't having much of a FPS issue but I tried the above settings and wow its even smoother! I would recommend this to anyone who is having FPS issues this may make a difference.

6 hours ago, Sl1ck said:

Question for the chaps running G2's and a 3080ti / 3090.

What resolution multipliers / res per eye are you running?

I've had to drop my settings a little with the Apache vs F-16/FA-18/A-10.

sorry, just noticed your reference to G2! For the Oculus users out there, I'm at 1.7 in Oculus tray tool. i7700k (o'clkd), 3080Ti, Rift S - mostly 40fps in the training missions

Edited by paulferris

Maybe using some reference scenario may help to understand  what can help to improve fps...I started here : https://forum.dcs.world/topic/295270-vr-fps/?do=findComment&comment=4920431

Currently, it seems (fpsVR) that I'm limited by CPU...

Edited by lefuneste01

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

On 3/19/2022 at 4:20 PM, JG27_Arklight said:

No reason to run "Ultra" visibility range if you are flying a helo. Drop that down to med and you'd prob push 60 fps. Lol

No need to dial it down. I play in VR and the Rift S is capping at 40 or 80 fps. Generally DCS runs like <profanity> with 80fps because of microstutters and bad frame pacing thanks to the old game engine.

DCS behaves quite different when playing in VR in comparison to 2D. It is what it is. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

12 minutes ago, Tepnox said:

No need to dial it down. I play in VR and the Rift S is capping at 40 or 80 fps. Generally DCS runs like <profanity> with 80fps because of microstutters and bad frame pacing thanks to the old game engine.

DCS behaves quite different when playing in VR in comparison to 2D. It is what it is. 

There will be a need to dial it down if you ever play in a busy mission/online depending on your other settings. VR will always be more performance intensive vs 2D.

Outside of what I said above, the other reason to dial it down is because you will never see the vis at very high settings in a Helo. If you do, you're too high. lol

Edited by JG27_Arklight

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

I'm having a weird performance issue with my Quest 2

Everything is perfectly fine for a good while, then suddenly it goes to 100% use and the sim just grinds to a halt. 
My temps are fine and stable, and loads make sense, for a while. After changing chopper the CPU goes nuts for a while, then stuff settles down again. 

I have attached logs from my last session, where you see I fly around for a while, then crash and change choppers. That's the first "squiggly" part in the loads, that's my physical cores load. During this period the GPY load (red) is fine, and the sim runs acceptable. Then a period of calm and good performance. I'm on the ground and fiddlign with stuff, setting up systems and suddenly the sim just chokes. That's when the GPU load goes pegged.

Edit:
I also occasionally get the lower third of the display very overexposed at times. I've seen at least one other user report the same issue. Never seen that before in any game or module. Not sure if it's Apache or latest beta, haven't tried any other module than the Apache after the beta.

I don't get what could cause this, any ideas?

i9 9900K@5GHz
3080Ti
32Gb 3600MHz
M.2 SSD

temps-load.PNG

Edited by atledreier

1 hour ago, atledreier said:

Everything is perfectly fine for a good while, then suddenly it goes to 100% use and the sim just grinds to a halt. 
My temps are fine and stable, and loads make sense, for a while. After changing chopper the CPU goes nuts for a while, then stuff settles down again. 

I have attached logs from my last session, where you see I fly around for a while, then crash and change choppers. That's the first "squiggly" part in the loads, that's my physical cores load. During this period the GPY load (red) is fine, and the sim runs acceptable. Then a period of calm and good performance. I'm on the ground and fiddlign with stuff, setting up systems and suddenly the sim just chokes. That's when the GPU load goes pegged.

Edit:
I also occasionally get the lower third of the display very overexposed at times. I've seen at least one other user report the same issue. Never seen that before in any game or module. Not sure if it's Apache or latest beta, haven't tried any other module than the Apache after the beta.

i9 9900K@5GHz
3080Ti
32Gb 3600MHz
M.2 SSD

temps-load.PNG

What map did you fly on?

Because this is exact the same problem I was having exclusively on Syria map with 32 GB. For some reason when the RAM got stuffed nearly full after some time, I was having many fps drops and lags in VR. After switching to 64 GB no more problem. 

Temporary fix on 32 GB RAM for me was to reduce the terrain texture quality to low. For unknown reasons this used 10 GB less RAM.

DCS stays a mystery. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

On 3/18/2022 at 10:54 PM, Sr. said:

Do you have something bound or double bound to VR Spyglass zoom... under UI from the controls page.

That was it !   Thanks ! 

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

8 hours ago, Tepnox said:

What map did you fly on?

Because this is exact the same problem I was having exclusively on Syria map with 32 GB. For some reason when the RAM got stuffed nearly full after some time, I was having many fps drops and lags in VR. After switching to 64 GB no more problem. 

Temporary fix on 32 GB RAM for me was to reduce the terrain texture quality to low. For unknown reasons this used 10 GB less RAM.

DCS stays a mystery. 

I fly on Syria, yeah. Checked the logs, my RAM is close to full all the time while flying, but not more so when it chokes. Might still be related though.
I'll look into getting more RAM, if I can find something compatible with the one I have.

Thanks!

I tried the setting recommended here and got very good results. In the training missions in both the Persian Gulf & Syria I was averaging between 36 & 42 FPS and it was butter smooth. So thank you for posting them here. I think having extra RAM onboard helps a lot as well. DCS runs much faster since I upgraded from 64G to 128G DDR4 at 3600. I thought of going to DDR5 but it’s just too expensive right now. Not sure if there’s much of a difference between the two. 
Any way thanks for posting your settings here. I hope it helps others as well.

For me it's the GPU VRAM that gets saturated, up to 21.5 GB on my 3090 with high textures and terrain textures.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 hour ago, Ebphoto said:

In the training missions in both the Persian Gulf & Syria I was averaging between 36 & 42 FPS and it was butter smooth.

All this performance with the fastest available GPU (3090) and ridiculously high amount of RAM (128 GB), and merely 36 & 42 fps average.

PATHETIC.

We NEED the Vulkan + Multicore + VR optimization engine rewrite for decent VR performance, it's now not evitable. It would be nice to have any info on that also...

• Like 1
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

On 3/20/2022 at 8:27 PM, atledreier said:

Edit:

i9 9900K@5GHz
3080Ti
32Gb 3600MHz
M.2 SSD

You should save a track in this case, so it could be possible to reproduce...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Man...found out this evening that jumping from pilot to CP/G really sends the GPU frametimes off the charts. They come back a little, not much when switching back to pilot seat. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark