Is it going to be worth going 3090 to 4090?

Digitalvole

If you click on the “Buy Now” button, you will find a list of online sellers, most of the, like Scan and OC, do not agree on the price shown on the NVIDIA site…

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

All the places selling them are shipping them direct from the manufacturers. So when stock drops they're all the sudden showing on Newegg, Adorama, and B&H at the same time. So just keep hitting refresh on there. B&H has some right now it's showing for pre-order and I believe they ship on the 18th or 19th.

21 hours ago, Supmua said:

Even today's release is trickled, they don't let it all out at once for some reason.  A friend of mine who missed out on the AM release was able to get one later in the afternoon.

They're using it for marketing and to sell the remaining 3000 series they're sitting on. Every time you go to look for a 4090 and see it sold out you see a 3090ti for $500 less sitting there. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

It seems odd anyways that nVidia has spent 10 billion $ to get enough 40X0 chips of TSMC and has produced 4090's since August and now all very expensive products are sold on day one.

There's nothing odd about it, these are typical nvidia supply tactics. Can't get people to blow $1600+ if you don't create false demand.

Mining is dead, the only people buying GPUs this time will be gamers and scalpers who are too dumb to realize that their time is over. There will be plenty of supply in the next month or two.

• Like 5

I can’t see how selling high end cards would make them a lot of money just bragging rights and reputation, the enthusiast/hard core market segment is very small.  The biggest revenue would be from mid-tier/lower end products that millions of people would buy.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

57 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

It seems odd anyways that nVidia has spent 10 billion $ to get enough 40X0 chips of TSMC and has produced 4090's since August and now all very expensive products are sold on day one.

Scalpers. Scum of the earth.

• Like 4

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

vor 19 Minuten schrieb Supmua:

I can’t see how selling high end cards would make them a lot of money just bragging rights and reputation, the enthusiast/hard core market segment is very small.  The biggest revenue would be from mid-tier/lower end products that millions of people would buy.

Don't forget the growing VR community, albeit slowly. 3090 was able to cope with 4k pretty nicely, but not with the demands of today's high-end HMDs. For example, I'm assuming most Varjo Aero and Pimax 8kx users will upgrade to the 4090. And even if that's just a couple of thousand users, you'll know the numbers...

Edited by DerKlausi
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DerKlausi said:

Don't forget the growing VR community, albeit slowly. 3090 was able to cope with 4k pretty nicely, but not with the demands of today's high-end HMDs. For example, I'm assuming most Varjo Aero and Pimax 8kx users will upgrade to the 4090. And even if that's just a couple of thousand users, you'll know the numbers...

This Aero user going to hold out for a while and see reports come in. Not real excited about jumping in on the 40xx series yet. I get a decent very playable experience with my 3090 card currently. Not saying I will not ever get a 40xx card but just not sure at this time and certainly not going to be one of the first like I was with the 3090 card. I think I will likely be more cpu limited with it anyways.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

51 minutes ago, dburne said:

This Aero user going to hold out for a while and see reports come in. Not real excited about jumping in on the 40xx series yet. I get a decent very playable experience with my 3090 card currently. Not saying I will not ever get a 40xx card but just not sure at this time and certainly not going to be one of the first like I was with the 3090 card. I think I will likely be more cpu limited with it anyways.

This isn’t anything new (current 4090 issues), remember the Vive Pro 2 fiasco with the stuttering problem when it first came out, or the Aero with bad distortion with early software?  It happens with any brand new product and it will eventually get sorted out.  It’s early adopter’s problem, sometimes it’s better to wait out, but I just gotta jump in.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Yeah, currently with my 3090 and 12900k and a G2, on heavy MP missions in VR (ECW) I'm getting nearly identical CPU/GPU frametimes. Offline of course is much better, and there the GPU is usually the limit, so I might consider it, especially if ED actually delivers some performance boosts from multicore. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'm trying to find a 4090, lol!  The local Microcenter has 7 Zotacs but I want the FE mostly, or Asus or MSI.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

6 minutes ago, Slammin said:

I'm trying to find a 4090, lol!  The local Microcenter has 7 Zotacs but I want the FE mostly, or Asus or MSI.

Its impressive they have anything. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Supposedly the only benefit you would see in DCS would be in VR. I already top out over 120fps in DCS on a Caucasus map in most circumstances. Question would be would it really benefit you?  Also keep in mind that you will absolutely need to get a minimum 1000w power supply just to power the thing.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

3 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

850 is sufficient 

The 4090 is claiming a TDP of a minimum of 450, and some manufacturers are absolutely recommending a minimum of 1000w.

I know ts probably been published here, but heres a Toms Hardware link recommending them.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/1200w-power-requirement-rtx-4090

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

GN says the draw is fine on an 850…  as have others, now if you are going to OC I can see 1000 being useful…

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

47 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

GN says the draw is fine on an 850…  as have others, now if you are going to OC I can see 1000 being useful…

With the amount of tweakers on this forum....yeah. Who here doesnt overclock??

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

35 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

With the amount of tweakers on this forum....yeah. Who here doesnt overclock??

As seen on several tech sites, increase the power and voltage limiters a bit, and the clockspeed can be pushed up to a whopping 3GHz while core temp remains at 70C.  Mem speed can go up to 22 Gbps also.  The 4090 is an overclocking monster for those who need it as the stock cooler is already very good, power draw goes up to 500W though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

As seen on several tech sites, increase the power and voltage limiters a bit, and the clockspeed can be pushed up to a whopping 3GHz while core temp remains at 70C.  Mem speed can go up to 22 Gbps also.  The 4090 is an overclocking monster for those who need it as the stock cooler is already very good, power draw goes up to 500W though.

Yeah the card itself can draw that much of a current! Highly recommended you upgrade your psu. An 850w might get you by, but your hitting its upper limit easily.

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

I have a RoG Thor 1200w PSU.  I learned long ago to not skimp on quality or wattage when it comes to the PSU.  I tinker and am a long-time OC'er and always strive to get the most from my hardware.  The raw power of a 4090 should be a delight for my VR needs.  Even with DCS.

• Like 1

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

Here are my thrown-together before (3090FE) and after (4090) FPSVR readouts from loading Instant Action > F16 > Syria > Cold and Dark (this is a pretty CPU bound space). Run on a 5950x with a Pimax 8KX set to 72hz with VRPerfKit and the VR preset. This scene being CPU bound means no improvement in overall framerate, but the extra headroom meant I was able to bump to 150%SS with high detail settings and hit the same frame times.
null

image.png

• Like 7

Before I say sold, which 4090 card is that?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Looking at the pics it seems like the CPU is holding back the GPU.

So my guess would be, that in scenarios with low CPU-load, one will get a decent uplift in fps, but in scenarios with high CPU-demand the 4090 could perform the same as a 3090.

Having invested so much money, Id be quite unhappy, still being stuck at/around 60fps. But using motionsmoothing, 60fps would still mean 45fps since 90 is too far away. Of courese if you have 90Hz HMD.

Anyway, this is one more reason, that multi-thread-support should be releasing as soon as possible!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Before I say sold, which 4090 card is that?

This is the Zotac Trinity OC, which was the only one available when I bought it. Fan noise etc all seem fine (and less coil whine than my 3090FE when running at 240hz)

• Thanks 1

Got my hands on a 4090 Suprim X, should be arriving today! Think its going to be a big improvement over my 3080!

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro