DCS: Normandy 2.0 preview

MAESTR0

8 minutes ago, slipstream21 said:

Ok. Thanks. So, for me to run an open beta version I follow this instruction?

You have to download File : DCS_World_OpenBeta_web.exe
put this file to any folder, run it once and follow the installation process.

You can install a second version of DCS on your computer if you have the space needed for it.

Otherwise you can also simply update your stable version to the beta one once it got released: 

Or with this

• Like 2

Bonjour!
Aérodromes en France.
When we were just thinking about expanding the map detail zone, we understood that France was not an easy path - it was a large territory with an active history at the time of 1944. Where yesterday there was a field, today there is an airfield, and after a short time it is in trenches.
Since the start of development, we have increased the number of airfields in France. Added historically significant airfields, intermediate airfields, so that you can easily visit each place on the map. And also added airfields, which you asked about here on the forum and threw off additional information, for which special thanks.
OK, here we go!

Beauvais-Tille

Beauvais-Tille1.jpgBeauvais-Tille2.jpgBeauvais-Tille3.jpgBeauvais-Tille4.jpg

Carpicuet

Carpicuet4.jpgCarpicuet1.jpgCarpicuet2.jpg

Screen_230304_183708.jpg

Cormeilles-en-Vexin

Cormeilles-en-4.jpgCormeilles-en-1.jpgCormeilles-en-2.jpgCormeilles-en-3.jpg

Cricqueville-en-Bessin

Cricqueville-e4.jpgCricqueville-e1.jpgCricqueville-e2.jpgCricqueville-e3.jpg

Fecamp_Benouville

Fecamp_Benouvi4.jpgFecamp_Benouvi1.jpgFecamp_Benouvi2.jpgFecamp_Benouvi3.jpg

Lonrai

Lonrai1.jpgLonrai2.jpgLonrai3.jpgLonrai4.jpg

Orly

Orly1.jpgOrly2.jpgOrly3.jpgOrly4.jpg

📽️

Edited by MAESTR0
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

I just finished catching up on reading the last few pages of this thread. 

My summary gut feeling:

Ugra Media is spoiling us like only children.  🥰  I like it a lot!!! .. don't stop @MAESTR0.  

• Like 1
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

I am impressed with an individual layout of each airfield. Such a variety greatly improves the feel of reality and adds unique charisma to every airfield as well.

Edited by tapi
  • Like 3

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

ED (Not Ugra) need to fix the knee (almost waist) high grass that is everywhere. When sitting in the Spitfire, that grass clips though the wing. Airfields as well as most agricultural fields would not have that high grass. There are plenty of exception ofc, but seeing that savannah grass everywhere is annoying.

UGRA: Latest updates are stunning. Especially impressed with ground detail and (The creek-dogfight video) and the bare-trees spring version. Wonderful!

• Like 4

I have always thought that about the grass thing as well, but I understand the problem: in order to have low grass actually look like grass, you need millions of polygons to achieve that.  For taller grass, it's much less.   Even in the huge studios this is an issue: have you seen the hair on the 3d characters of every pixar / disney movie?  Each hair is about the width of 100 regular hairs, and they try to keep it as long as the character would accept it.  Clothing is another area where this affects things: most fabric is thick as leather!

So, while I agree with your general comment, I understand the problematic behind it.   Not sure what a fix would look like.

Edited by RafaPolit
  • Like 3

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

Hello fighters!
We're excited to introduce what you've been asking about: Airfield Lighting Systems.

Lights . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON

Unexpectedly, many airfields were equipped with permanent lighting systems. The Allies and the Wehrmacht ensured round-the-clock operation of airfields and already in those years, lights hidden in the ground were created - the ancestors of airfield lights that we can see now in airports.
Depending on the situation, you can choose the mode when the lights are on or off. 

P.S.: We congratulate the ED team on the introduction of multithreading in DCS World. The entire DCS community benefits from this: for users, this is an increase performance, for developers, this is pushing the boundaries of development possibilities. 

Tangmere

Screen_230311_164614.jpg

Screen_230311_164619.jpg

Screen_230311_164627.jpg

Screen_230311_164637.jpg

Needs Oar Point

Screen_230311_164512.jpg

Screen_230311_164532.jpg

Odiham

Screen_230311_164704.jpg

Screen_230311_164715.jpg

Screen_230311_164809.jpg

Screen_230311_184023.jpg

Amiens Glisy

Screen_230311_184524.jpg

Screen_230311_184538.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Thanks! Very nice - that's a real improvement for the WW2-scenarios. Here's two pages from the Luftwaffe's service regulation LDv 5-1 from June 1943 - hopefully useful:

LDv 5-1_A20 signals at night.png

LDv 5-1_A21 signals at night.png

PS: don't get me wrong - it's already fine as it is! Looking at the videos you already implemented some typical details and differences between Allied and German airfields.

Edited by Retnek
typo
  • Like 3

"Those who admire me for my 275 kills know nothing about war" Günther Rall

The developers have done a fantastic job! But I'm still a little afraid for the texture of the coastline. These light brown areas (algae?) it seems still too chaotic. Like islands located both near water and near rocks

000.png

In the available images it looks more orderly and seems darker and more often located closer to the water?

444.png

666.png

Edited by Red_Pilot
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Retnek said:

Thanks! Very nice - that's a real improvement for the WW2-scenarios. Here's two pages from the Luftwaffe's service regulation LDv 5-1 from June 1943 - hopefully useful:

LDv 5-1_A20 signals at night.png

LDv 5-1_A21 signals at night.png

PS: don't get me wrong - it's already fine as it is! Looking at the videos you already implemented some typical details and differences between Allied and German airfields.

Thanks for providing this. I hope Ugra will put in the necessary changes to correctly model Luftwaffe airfield lightings.

The document you provided updated Sicherheitsbefehl Nr. 10 from January '42 and was then further updated in Taktischer Einzelhinweis Nr. 17 in May '44.

I provided the Sicherheitsbefehl Nr. 10 for download here and will also be able to provide Taktischer Einzelhinweis Nr. 17 by the end of the month.

It would be great if Ugra could provide a means for mission devs to turn the lights on or off via scripting.

So @MAESTR0pls get in touch so we can get night lighting in correctly. I would greatly appreciate.

SicherheitsbefehlNr10.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Am 11.3.2023 um 20:06 schrieb MAESTR0:

Hello fighters!
We're excited to introduce what you've been asking about: Airfield Lighting Systems.

Lights . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON

Unexpectedly, many airfields were equipped with permanent lighting systems. The Allies and the Wehrmacht ensured round-the-clock operation of airfields and already in those years, lights hidden in the ground were created - the ancestors of airfield lights that we can see now in airports.
Depending on the situation, you can choose the mode when the lights are on or off. 

P.S.: We congratulate the ED team on the introduction of multithreading in DCS World. The entire DCS community benefits from this: for users, this is an increase performance, for developers, this is pushing the boundaries of development possibilities. 

Tangmere

Screen_230311_164614.jpg

Screen_230311_164619.jpg

Screen_230311_164627.jpg

Screen_230311_164637.jpg

Needs Oar Point

Screen_230311_164512.jpg

Screen_230311_164532.jpg

Odiham

Screen_230311_164704.jpg

Screen_230311_164715.jpg

Screen_230311_164809.jpg

Screen_230311_184023.jpg

Amiens Glisy

Screen_230311_184524.jpg

Screen_230311_184538.jpg

These lights look so cool, have to enjoy these shots over and over again 🙂

But maybe a stupid question, how will I be able to turn them on or off? Missioneditor?

Thanks

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Komet_82 said:

These lights look so cool, have to enjoy these shots over and over again 🙂

But maybe a stupid question, how will I be able to turn them on or off? Missioneditor?

Thanks

If it's like current lights, you call ATC and they turn them on when there's an operation. I believe they don't get off the plane IRL to turn the lights on by themselves either 🤣 .

• Like 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Curiously, the area of the coast near Calais will be highly detailed? For example, the French coast on the Channel map in this area is made terribly, nothing like the real one.

google

Fr.c.png

And the same area on the Channel map in DCS

Screen_230321_221637.png

And from the cockpit

Screen_230321_213221.png

That's why I now prefer to fly over the English part of this map 

320b783b13f6b591849dc82b8df81be8_XL.jpg

View near this coast place from Calais

Edited by Red_Pilot
  • Like 2

Am 21.3.2023 um 21:03 schrieb Ala13_ManOWar:

If it's like current lights, you call ATC and they turn them on when there's an operation. I believe they don't get off the plane IRL to turn the lights on by themselves either 🤣 .

Ok, thanks, sounds logical 🙂

Havent tried the current lights either, as I did not went into night activities so far, but for the great new mossie campaign this is very high on my to do list 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 9:03 PM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

I believe they don't get off the plane IRL to turn the lights on by themselves either

For *civiallian* airfields, many (not all, and different countries may have different systems) have indeed an automated system where when you contact the airfiled (on their published freq) with nobody home, runway and taxi lights will turn on automatically and keep on for a pre-determined time. It's probably different for military airfields, I do not know.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 11:09 AM, Red_Pilot said:

Curiously, the area of the coast near Calais will be highly detailed? For example, the French coast on the Channel map in this area is made terribly, nothing like the real one.

google

Fr.c.png

And the same area on the Channel map in DCS

Screen_230321_221637.png

And from the cockpit

Screen_230321_213221.png

That's why I now prefer to fly over the English part of this map 

320b783b13f6b591849dc82b8df81be8_XL.jpg

View near this coast place from Calais

FYI Google maps will not show the coast of Normandy as it was in the 1940s. The coastline there changes constantly. For example on our tour of Utah beach the sand dunes are 20 feet higher then they were in WWII during the landing. However Omaha beach is for the most part the same. We stood by the rock portrayed in Saving Private Ryan, that the troops used for shelter in the water.

DCS maps are not entirely correct anyway since buildings are placed relatively in their real world position. I have been to Vegas for work many times and lots off stuff is missing or not there.

• Like 2

8 часов назад, Wdigman сказал:

FYI Google maps will not show the coast of Normandy as it was in the 1940s. The coastline there changes constantly. For example on our tour of Utah beach the sand dunes are 20 feet higher then they were in WWII during the landing. However Omaha beach is for the most part the same. We stood by the rock portrayed in Saving Private Ryan, that the troops used for shelter in the water.

DCS maps are not entirely correct anyway since buildings are placed relatively in their real world position. I have been to Vegas for work many times and lots off stuff is missing or not there.

In general, the idea of my post was completely different. I wrote about the depressingly low detail of one of the most beautiful areas of the map. Perhaps such a low level of detail is acceptable for you, but many virtual pilots, like me, spend many hours flying over the coast and would like to see the detail corresponding to the modern level of detail as the British coast has already been made

Edited by Red_Pilot
  • Like 1