Patch notes discussion thread 25th January 2023

BIGNEWY

I still have error messages there (right pic), I can start the game, even a mission with the Mirage F1 but still experience crashes.

image.png Open-Xr-Error.jpg

Two things I noticed: It might well come from Windows 10 Pro Settings, Device manager detects the Pico4 but in devices it never shows connected, I thought it was perhaps because the connection depends on Streaming Assistant being started in Windows and in Pico menu, but even with it and Stream VR on, it doesn't refresh.

Settings-No-Refresh.jpg

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

On 1/25/2023 at 8:51 AM, Beirut said:

Us poor schlobs on Steam have to wait another 3 hours for the update. :cry:

The punishment is real.

I have never found any advantage to using Steam.

• Like 4

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Well, I managed a couple of test flights on the F1EE which is a progress, I can't say the same about the quality of the image and I still experience crashes, I'm trying to balance image quality and performance now without crashes (!?!)...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

It all ultimately depends on when the DTC will make it in, which is a core feature. MUMI is a bunch of numbers arrayed on the page, nothing special from the graphics side. It should make it in pretty quick after Viper's DTC page (also a simple affair, rather like the A-10's default MFD pages).

So this was performance after I started using PimaxXR combined with SteamVR as stated in the article I attached to this thread.  I personally saw a significant improvement now that DCS is running OpenXR natively.  I know this is subjective, but with PIMAX, I walked my wingman through the same way I did it and he to has now observed significant improvements.  Prior to the update, there is no way the below video would have been captured without stutter or or at minimum, some lag.  Now it runs smooth as glass.  I too had issues with performance degradation when the patch released until I redownloaded PimaxXR and started running with SteamVR.  This is now the way.  More videos to come.

For anyone with a PIMAX having issues, please hit me up and I would be glad to assist if possible.  

• Like 1

Update Pico4 user.

So now I have managed to get the whole thing to work flying the Mirage 2000C and F1 for VR testings.

Compared to the settings I did find before the DCS update, image quality suffers considerably, I experience a cyclic loss of clarity even with more moderate settings, mirror is unreadable with high level of pixelation and blur etc.

Ticlkets were sent to Sapphire (for advise on settings) and Pico (suggesting software support).

Steam VR is playing havoc as usual, if I want to watch a replay in 2D, it will start on its own, ask me to set up the room and shut down DCS if I close it, I have to uninstall it if I want to watch a replay, it will be all good the day I can get rid of it completely.

In this screenshot I brake low for a spin at very low altitude where I can check visually the changes I made to my settings...

The mirror remains unreadable (WTH???), level of detail cycles between good to foggy, same for details redraw, I took the pixel density levels from 1.6 to 1.2 and gained on the amount of jerkiness I experienced with environment at very low level (tree top level below hill top etc) but this is way off what I was able to achieve once but can't reproduce now, so I know my system can easily take it but something is making it impossible, I'm not sure which software limits my system potential to this level yet.

AMD mentions Drivers issues...

AMD-Issues.jpg

VRtest-05-mirror.jpg

Working on it. First to reply; Pico, redirecting me to the right Dpt for technical inquiries.

Edited by Thinder

22 minutes ago, draconus said:

Do you have motion blur enabled in DCS?

No, in any case I didn't notice too much difference, since I like to fly very low, AdlA F1CR fashion, I need to see where I'm going and what can be noticeable is the jerkiness of the close environment, I try to reduce that so that I can see clearly details 45° left/right.

What bothers me most is the cycling of clarity from good to mediocre, never had that before...

21 minutes ago, Thinder said:

What bothers me most is the cycling of clarity from good to mediocre

Sounds like some dynamic resolution or motion smoothing in SteamVR or elsewhere. You really need to go to VR bugs forum:

https://forum.dcs.world/forum/442-vr-bugs/

This thread is not a good place to report your problems.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 minute ago, draconus said:

Sounds like some dynamic resolution or motion smoothing in SteamVR or elsewhere.

Yeah, that's my conclusion as well, I'll turn all Steam VR controls off and see if it makes a difference, in any case Steam VR isn't officially supporting the Pico I'm happy I manage to get it to work at all.

Pico4 user here, using VD to connect. Even a reinstallation, no mods on either, the game still crashes during the initial progress bar or just right in. Not related to OXTK or OpenComposite. As mentioned in another thread, I managed to enjoy it for a while and 4 hours later, which changing anything, the game cannot start. Yesterday, I was able to enjoy a bit again in Pico4, by uninstalling and reinstalling SteamVR, but it still crashed after a couple of missions and then it could not be loaded once more.

On the same computer, Quest2 runs very good without major issues.

A support ticket will be raised.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Pico4 user here, using VD to connect. Even a reinstallation, no mods on either, the game still crashes during the initial progress bar or just right in. Not related to OXTK or OpenComposite. As mentioned in another thread, I managed to enjoy it for a while and 4 hours later, which changing anything, the game cannot start. Yesterday, I was able to enjoy a bit again in Pico4, by uninstalling and reinstalling SteamVR, but it still crashed after a couple of missions and then it could not be loaded once more.

On the same computer, Quest2 runs very good without major issues.

A support ticket will be raised.

I can tell you what I do to have it to work without crashing, I figured the order for opening apps matters:

1) You need Open XR Tool for windows open/minimized, when Steam VR starts, Open XR menu will give you the option to change Runtime, change then.

2) Launch Streaming assistant.

3) I use Steam VR Beta, I don't know if the standard version is as stable or more/less.

4) Launch Virtual desktop.

At least I was able to use the headset and even fly the Mirage F1 both not supported or/and incompatible with Steam according to their tech support.

When it comes to quality and FPS it's another matter altogether but at least you can run the game and try different settings, which is not happening if it crashes.

7 minutes ago, Thinder said:

At least I was able to use the headset and even fly the Mirage F1 both not supported or/and incompatible with Steam according to their tech support.

Not wishing to derail this thread but you are confusing compatibility with the Steam version of DCS World and with SteamVR.

You can use the Standalone version of DCS and the Mirage F1 (and any other module) with SteamVR, the latter is simply a means of enabling VR support and completely independent of the Steam version of DCS World.

You can also purchase the Mirage F1 on the Steam store and run it with the Steam version of DCS. You can even transfer the licence to run it with the Standalone version having bought it on Steam.

What you can't do is purchase modules from the DCS website and use it on the Steam version of DCS. This isn't specific to the Mirage F1 but any module - hence the "Steam Incompatible" message on every module on the DCS website store.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

40 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Not wishing to derail this thread but you are confusing compatibility with the Steam version of DCS World and with SteamVR.

You can use the Standalone version of DCS and the Mirage F1 (and any other module) with SteamVR, the latter is simply a means of enabling VR support and completely independent of the Steam version of DCS World.

You can also purchase the Mirage F1 on the Steam store and run it with the Steam version of DCS. You can even transfer the licence to run it with the Standalone version having bought it on Steam.

What you can't do is purchase modules from the DCS website and use it on the Steam version of DCS. This isn't specific to the Mirage F1 but any module - hence the "Steam Incompatible" message on every module on the DCS website store.

Well, I had enough problems trying to fly the F1 with the version of Steam VR I use to mistake the two issues.

At some point even the module itself lost its authorization in the game, couldn't see it in the list of usable modules, wrote a ticket to support and reinstalled the game.

I download Steam, Steam VR Beta and Virtual Desktop from the Steam website, don't have any link with the Steam version of DCS and use DCS Beta.

btw, your opinions are always welcome, I still struggle to fully comprehend how all of this works (or not) together...

Edited by Thinder

TL;DR - same, crash, no go

Long: First of all, opening OXTK does not make any sense cause the toolkit itself states it does not need to be opened at all times! Also, opening both SA and SteamVR at the same time make no sense either. But out of curiosity and the spirit of experiment, I follow the steps and well, same, the same crashed before the progress bar even was on.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 hours ago, Thinder said:

I still struggle to fully comprehend how all of this works (or not) together...

You are not alone!

To be honest I find the PC stuff easier to get my head around than a lot of the aviation stuff, an awful lot of what is said on these forums goes way over my head! 

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

13 hours ago, Thinder said:

btw, your opinions are always welcome, I still struggle to fully comprehend how all of this works (or not) together...

Don't we all... It's basically a massive community wide effort to throw sh*t at the wall and see what sticks, then pass our unscientific results on to the next monke, repeat ad infinitum.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2