DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

How does this (3Dmigoto) work alongside using DCS native openXR and the startup shortcut? I have never tried this mod, and dont want to mess with my working very nicely now install......Can I simply follow the instrcution for the "with OpenXR" version, start the mod via the window and then run DCS via the edited shortcut? 

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

21 hours ago, T-Pickle said:

Not sure if you saw my other post, but one of my issues that added to the confusion was that I never really had pure OpenXR mode. Due to a DLL that I forgot to delete OpenXR could not launch and DCS fell back to OpenVR, which in turn used SteamVR. So check the DCS log if it actually says OpenXR for you. Just another thing to consider. While I still don't feel the performance in pure FPS is better, OpenXR seems to have lower latency for me compared to native Oculus. So perhaps you would get the "smoother feeling" you noticed in SteamVR, but without the jitter if you run OpenXR?

Well, I've never installed OpenXR.  Would you suggest I try it?

YMMV, but first, which hmd are you using?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

27 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Global Cockpit Illumination. 😄

always off, perf hit for no gain that i notice... 

14 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

How does this (3Dmigoto) work alongside using DCS native openXR and the startup shortcut? I have never tried this mod, and dont want to mess with my working very nicely now install......Can I simply follow the instrcution for the "with OpenXR" version, start the mod via the window and then run DCS via the edited shortcut? 

very well, there is a small perf hit, depending on the options you choose, but it also has perf fixes  as well as others... yes just follow the instructions

for clarity i dont use it any more, mainly because I no longer use ground shadows, and i dont use reprojection/motion smoothing any more 

which is what causes the rotor artifacts 

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks! People do not understand computer (or anything for the matter) acronym.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

it's not that they don't understand it's just the Three Letter Anacronym is overloaded... 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

2 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

As you need to use the OpenXR version and launch it using an injector before DCS it's totally safe. In fact I sometime forgot to launch it before DCS and so have to restart DCS because mod was not active...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

always off, perf hit for no gain that i notice... 

very well, there is a small perf hit, depending on the options you choose, but it also has perf fixes  as well as others... yes just follow the instructions

for clarity i dont use it any more, mainly because I no longer use ground shadows, and i dont use reprojection/motion smoothing any more 

which is what causes the rotor artifacts 

if you use the AH64 or the Mi24 I added some option I found usefull for them: enlightening of mi24 map or disabling of TADSS overlay in IHADSS. Plus the fix for NVG for all planes, or the NS430 for the Mi24. Plus the removal of awfull reflexions in VR. And if course all the other features.

• Like 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

it's not that they don't understand it's just the Three Letter Anacronym is overloaded... 

😂

I begin to wonder if the Taz1004's excellent clear glass mod works with bladed wings or not. Ah, better check it myself when I have time.

Since DCS native support for OpenXR was introduced, I reverted back to OB 2.8.  Unfortunately, running the sim with PimaxXR 0.3.0 and OXRTK 1.2.4, I started to have "convergence" issues and stutters as soon as I would start moving my head.  Reverting back to use Opencomposite and PXR 0.2.8 and OXRTK 1.2.1 made the issues go away.

What I labeled as "convergence" issue was causing the image to be blurry, slightly out of focus.  It could also be a slight de-synch between the right and left images.

As for the stutters, they were appearing just at the start of a head movement, one or twice, and then go away.  My frametimes both for CPU and GPU were well below 16.7ms, not even close.

I have the 60hz / 75hz Pimax 8KX (older) model and run the HMD at 60hz.  I do not use motion re-projection and my resolution is 4k native.  Sorry, I did not have the reflex to save my dcs.log file.

@mbucchia, could this be related only to the older 8KX?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

27 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

But that doesn't get rid of the chaperone grid and Steam doesn't let you turn it off (not that I want to anyway considering I need it for standing VR).

make a choice

2 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

But that doesn't get rid of the chaperone grid and Steam doesn't let you turn it off (not that I want to anyway considering I need it for standing VR).

As stated use Open VR Advanced Settings and you can disable it. I use SteamVR (Valve Index user) with no chaperone grid since a long time. 

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Since I moved to native OpenXR (with OpenXR Toolkit), I noticed that sometimes when starting the game my view inside HMD (Reverb G2) is upside down and facing back (the desktop mirror is ok). Usually changing game resolution in options or changing render scale in OpenXR tools for WMR fixes this. Today I noticed one more thing - even if I manage to have right picture orientation, the HMD mask (shader) is upside down.

Is anyone having this?

nullnull

image.jpeg

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, 32GB RAM, RTX 4090, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gladiator NXT Premium, Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10, Joystick Gremlin, OpenKneeboard, VoiceAttack

I was having exactly the same thing with the built in OpenXR (inverted and 180 view), it was one of the reasons I went back to using OpenComposite.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai, Kola, Afghanistan

I have a HP Reverb G2 on Windows 11.  OXR runs DCS perfectly as a standalone.   I am unable to get OXR to run via SteamVR.  I have added the .DLL, changed SteamVR setttings- developer advanced to use OXR, and added the launch parameters via copy/paste that work in the standalone shortcut.   I also verified that I am using the beta version via the version number in the lower left of the opening screen.  

net: I cannot get the G2 SteamVR to run OXR and I am out of luck.  

since this is a Beta is there someplace I can send logs?   The OXR version is highly motivating to help get his going in Steam when it goes GA

3 minutes ago, BuzzJob said:

I have a HP Reverb G2 on Windows 11.  OXR runs DCS perfectly as a standalone.   I am unable to get OXR to run via SteamVR.  I have added the .DLL, changed SteamVR setttings- developer advanced to use OXR, and added the launch parameters via copy/paste that work in the standalone shortcut.   I also verified that I am using the beta version via the version number in the lower left of the opening screen.  

net: I cannot get the G2 SteamVR to run OXR and I am out of luck.  

since this is a Beta is there someplace I can send logs?   The OXR version is highly motivating to help get his going in Steam when it goes GA

It sounds to me that you are trying to use OpenComposite ("added the DLL") with the SteamVR OpenXR runtime, which is totally unnecessary. 

If you want to use OpenXR via SteamVR, don't use OpenComposite at all, just see post 1 and 2 on this thread, run the game with --force_OpenXR while you have OpenXR set in SteamVR developer settings (which you seem to have gotten right already).

• Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Edit:  replaced dll, restarted.   The visual difference is there, so I am sure it’s running now.  In standalone, CTRL-F2 works.  It does not in Steam.  I will check logs to validate.

Second Edit:  VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR OpenXR: Windows Mixed Reality

I really appreciate the help and kudos to you for a brilliant enhancement!

Edited by BuzzJob
update to show log

New revelation for me today.

I was not aware, that you could run SteamVR and have OpenXR Toolkit too.

So It's possible to have SteamVR motion reprojection (currently superior to openxr one regarding artefacts) and CAS sharpener/ FFR shader from OpenXR Toolkit.

I'm currently testing 60Hz Reverb G2 mode with SteamVR motion reprojection (so 30FPS) and CAS / FFR shader

EDIT: The OpenXR runtime is still much sharper for the same FPS though

image.jpeg

Edited by gwizdek

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, 32GB RAM, RTX 4090, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gladiator NXT Premium, Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10, Joystick Gremlin, OpenKneeboard, VoiceAttack

Curious what GPU VRAM utilization y'all are seeing?

I thought I'd read that OXR would make it's settings based on the amount of RAM the GPU had.

I have a 16GB 6900XT yet, the OXR toolkit shows it using roughly 7-8GB. Why so underutilized?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, gwizdek said:

New revelation for me today.

I was not aware, that you could run SteamVR and have OpenXR Toolkit too.

So It's possible to have SteamVR motion reprojection (currently superior to openxr one regarding artefacts) and CAS sharpener/ FFR shader from OpenXR Toolkit.

I'm currently testing 60Hz Reverb G2 mode with SteamVR motion reprojection (so 30FPS) and CAS / FFR shader

EDIT: The OpenXR runtime is still much scharper for the same FPS though

image.jpeg

I think of SteamVR as a platform, even though it was initially conceived with OpenVR, it now supports various VR runtimes (OpenVR, OpenXR, Oculus).

7 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Curious what GPU VRAM utilization y'all are seeing?

I thought I'd read that OXR would make it's settings based on the amount of RAM the GPU had.

I have a 16GB 6900XT yet, the OXR toolkit shows it using roughly 7-8GB. Why so underutilized?

I sometimes saw as high as 23.1 GB with my 4090 (Apache/Marianas), I think the number at least partially depends on your resolution and graphic settings.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

On 2/3/2023 at 6:33 PM, HoneyBadger said:

How do I force seated mode with OpenXR running? With OpenXR, DCS is running in standing mode so I have a chaperone grid infront of my desk.

I'm not sure if you are using SteamVR or not, but here are my settings to have no Grid.

Chaperone.png

Also I set the Transparency for Color and Play Area Floor Color all the way to the left.

Hope that helps.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME