FPS drop after viewing F10 Map

In 4YA WWII server, take-off with 80 fps, view F10 menu, fps drops in half. Attached video shows this happening. This does not happen in single thread version. Log file attached. 

Varjo, OpenXR, 13900K, 32GB RAM, 4090

dcs.log

Edited by Ben Diss
Typo
  • Like 3

A little more info. That was recorded at 37 PPD. I went back and tried the same scenario at 35 PPD and the problem did not occur. Tried 37 PPD and 39 PPD and the problem did not occur. 4YA WWII is now only about 40 players. At the time the clip was recorded, there were 80-90 players. Perhaps this is related to server load.

• Ben Diss changed the title to FPS drop after viewing F10 Map

i have a black screen for 3-4 seconds every time i get in cockpit with MT (VR reverb g2)

it's not a big problem i just wait a moment for it to settle.

The problem is while i'm in game and flying and i want to check the F10 map. While i get back to cockpit i have a 3 seconds scary blackout!

Also some of my teammates (in VR) experienced game crashes while cheking the map.

all in 4ya normandy server!

@NineLinepls let me know if it's a known bug or if you need Video and Log.

• Like 1

AMD 5800 x3d Ekwb liquid cooled - 32 GB 2 x 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C14D-32GTZ - rtx 3080 Asus Ekwb liquid cooled - Asus Dark Hero X570 - M2 Nvme 1tb 980 pro - M2 Nvme 1tb 970 evo - some other HD

Reverb G2 VR headset  + Leap motion hand controller 

VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Modern Combat Edition’ Ultimate - Extended + Custom made Speed "bugfeedback" stiffening joystick with arduino and DCS Bios - Trhustmaster Wharthog throttle -MFG Crosswinf pedals -Simshaker controling a Jetseat and 2 bassshakers

• Ben Diss changed the title to (fixed) FPS drop after viewing F10 Map
  • 2 weeks later...

Today i have the same on Multithreading, every time either long black screen or crash to desktop after going from F10 map to cockpit. Rotorheads flying Apache. Nvidia 2080Ti, 32GB, 9900, Reverb G2.

Edited by bies

well i solved this by using the mod that remove the mig29 hangar and replaces it with a black screen!

Saving vram and improving textures loading time when going from F1 cockpit view to map F10 and back!

now it's just a 1 second delay! super smooth!

mod link

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319867/

• Like 1

AMD 5800 x3d Ekwb liquid cooled - 32 GB 2 x 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C14D-32GTZ - rtx 3080 Asus Ekwb liquid cooled - Asus Dark Hero X570 - M2 Nvme 1tb 980 pro - M2 Nvme 1tb 970 evo - some other HD

VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Modern Combat Edition’ Ultimate - Extended + Custom made Speed "bugfeedback" stiffening joystick with arduino and DCS Bios - Trhustmaster Wharthog throttle -MFG Crosswinf pedals -Simshaker controling a Jetseat and 2 bassshakers

waiting the 2 weeks they solve this you can try my workaround!

it helps a lot!

before i was scared checking the map at low alt. Now it's safe!

• Ben Diss changed the title to FPS drop after viewing F10 Map
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 7:55 AM, Ben Diss said:

This appears to be fixed with 2.8.4.39731.

negative it is not

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

I'd like to add something to the problem.

Situation: 2D, 4K, MSAA*2.

I have the Riva Statistics Server running while playing. Usually the Values are as follows. 

100 fps (e.g.), GPU 47C, Utilization 99%, Power 320 W, Voltage 0,95V

When I go to the F10 Map and return to game it looks like that:

70 fps (e.g.), GPU 45C, Utlization still 99%, Power(!) 250 W, Voltage 0,95V

The constant voltage is due to my undervolting but I already checked, putting everything on default results in the same behavior.

For me it looks like as if the GPU is not fully utilized after switching back and force. It is on 99% use, but it doesn't use all command-sets if that makes sense. 100% utilization is not equal to 100% utilization. An easy example would be Raytraycing on/off (not in DCS of course).

Perhaps this gives a hint to where the problem is.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

9 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

I am also having this issue on Enigmas server.

I experience it both on SP and MP.

4 minutes ago, darkman222 said:

Will the frame rate recover after some time? Or will it stay bad?

If it recovers eventually, it takes very long and I can't point out an event or an time frame.

Usually the FPS are still playable for me, so I just go on with the flight and try to ignore it.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Funnily enough I sometimes get this behavior by bringing up the role/spawn selection screen.

Bringing up various menu screens in the MT build in VR can be very sketchy atm. An extra layer of oddity is that it seems contained to the OpenXR runtime in my usecase, when I launch in the oculus runtime in MT it avoids a lot of the menu issues.

Edited by MoleUK
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This issue is still very prevalent in the current DCS version and it's getting pretty damn irritating by now.  It's gotten very tiring having to reboot DCS and hope that it fixes the issue once it comes up, and half the time even rebooting will not solve it, and the stuttering will persist after reboot.  I'm about to shelve DCS for the most part if this keeps going

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

45 minutes ago, MoleUK said:

I'd seen some odd performance on F10 on the MT build but hadn't bothered to check it till I saw this thread.

It's very odd, happens in cycles.

Your issue is different from theirs, and I get the same weird FPS drop than you on the same server (Enigma). It seems to be caused by whatever mission the Enigma server is running. If you see this behaviour on some other servers, please mention them here, so we can try pointing the source of the issue.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

@Ben Diss I've just tried 4YA WWII server and I don't get your issue. Could you please try disabling Hyperthreading and see if you keep getting this issue with DCS MT?

Also please try what was suggested earlier: disable DCS MSAA and see if that changes anything.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I also have extreme instability issues with the latest Open Beta (in MT mode). I suspect a memory leak, it looks like an old problem coming back. I can trigger it in MP servers like 4YA just by switching to other jet or helicopter modules after a certain playtime. My task manager shows crazy high RAM usage (over 50 GB) and SteamVR crashes eventually and it's performance graph goes crazy.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules