SA-342 Gazelle 2023 "FM" Update

**DCS: SA-342 Gazelle update news**

With the release of the upcoming SA-342 Gazelle update fast approaching we will be updating you about what to expect in the first iteration of what started out as a flight model update over the next few days. Starting today by publishing the change log that we have accumulated so far. The change log is subject to change as even today we're still working on new features and fixes but should be indicative of the scope of this update. 

With this announcement we'd also like to reach out to all mission creators to emphasize on the fact that we're trying to reduce the amount of Gazelle variants available in DCS World by essentially combining these versions. In the upcoming patch, the SA-342 Mistral has become redundant and is now only available as an AI aircraft to ensure mission compatibility. The SA-342 Gazelle has essentially been absorbed by the SA-342L which, in its now much more  modular form, is able to be outfitted with the mistral ATAM system. We ask mission creators to be aware of this change and update their (multiplayer)missions accordingly. We apologize for the inconvenience.

‘FM’ Update

SA342 - Common to all

• Updated external textures to PBR standard

• Added raindrops on canopy

• Interior lighting and reflections updated

• Flight model

• Entirely rewritten FM

• Overhauled engine and rotor behaviours

• Updated mass and payload mass parameters

• Many new behaviours added or reworked (ground effect, flapback/blowback, retreating blade stall, density altitude, ETL…)

• Engine surge effect from rapid collective movement added

• Force Feedback support added

• Removed ‘Easier Controls’ special option

• Removed ‘Rudder Trimmer’ special option (replaced with new trim options)

• New trim options for cyclic and pedal behaviour when using ‘Force Trim Interrupt’

• None - has no effect

• Instant - trim position instantly set to current cyclic/pedal position

• Fade In/Fade Out - trim position will move to current cyclic/pedal position over short time period (<1sec) (also applies to ‘Trimmer Reset’)

• Applied upon Recentering - trim position will apply instantly only when cyclic/pedal position is recentered

• Updated controls indicator

• Red marker shows control position

• Grey marker shows trim position

• Autopilot markers removed for further consideration

• Updated/added network animations

• Implemented IFF panel (limited functionality)

• Updated autopilot system

• Airspeed/Altitude hold mode removed for further consideration

• “Auto-collective” removed for further consideration

• Added light indicators for auto-hover (CSV) and heading-align (ALV) autopilot modes

• Autopilot master switch will not engage/will disengage if pitch, roll or yaw SAS disabled

• Added smoke display system

• Smoke launchers can be equipped in the rearm/refuel screen

• Smoke launchers have a new input to toggle on/off

• Collective can be hidden by clicking on base of collective

• Added tablet navigation aid

• Tablet can be disabled from mission editor

• Tablet provides map, heading, airspeed and groundspeed GPS information

• Tablet is disabled / invisible in missions with a date set prior to April 1994

• Updated slip ball to be less erratic

• Fuel warning light now flickers if below 80L

SA342L

• Added new weapons:

• 2x/4x Mistral

• 2x/4x HOT3

• HMP400 gunpods (100, 200, 400)

• Selectable GIAT M621 20mm

• Replaced Viviane screen with periscope sight

• Replaced Viviane control panel with periscope control board

• Periscope provides two zoom levels

• Toggleable gyro stabilisation

• Selectable reticles for estimating distance

• Connected to ‘VIS’ mode on Artificial Horizon same as Viviane

• Pilot sight can be hidden by clicking on mounting of pilot sight

• AI now able to fire HOT3 missiles

• Added ground crew option to remove doors

• Added option to shoot multiple pylons if the weapon is from the same type

SA342M

• Viviane camera code overhauled

• Viviane multicrew synchronisation improved

SA342 Mistral

• Removed playable version (now replaced by SA342L)

• Removed Custom Cockpit options

SA342 Minigun

• Added special option to decouple minigun from head/camera view

• Added inputs for keyboard/joystick control of minigun

• Added inputs for mouse control of minigun

• Added clickables and inputs for minigun safety, sight power/brightness and IR laser

SA342_2023_0601_1024.png

Edited by Polychop Simulations
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 6

Community Manager Account

DrummerNL

[TABLE]

[/TABLE]

Discord - Facebook - Gazelle sitreps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow, big update, the old flight model was rather "wooden". This update will obviously change things, may even tempt me back to give it another go 😉 

• Like 5

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

Wow, this sounds great! Thank you!

• Like 3

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

4 hours ago, Polychop Simulations said:

With the release of the upcoming SA-342 Gazelle update fast approaching we will be updating you about what to expect in the first iteration of what started out as a flight model update over the next few days. Starting today by publishing the change log that we have accumulated so far. The change log is subject to change as even today we're still working on new features and fixes but should be indicative of the scope of this update. 

With this announcement we'd also like to reach out to all mission creators to emphasize on the fact that we're trying to reduce the amount of Gazelle variants available in DCS World by essentially combining these versions. In the upcoming patch, the SA-342 Mistral has become redundant and is now only available as an AI aircraft to ensure mission compatibility. The SA-342 Gazelle has essentially been absorbed by the SA-342L which, in its now much more  modular form, is able to be outfitted with the mistral ATAM system. We ask mission creators to be aware of this change and update their (multiplayer)missions accordingly. We apologize for the inconvenience.

‘FM’ Update

SA342 - Common to all

• Updated external textures to PBR standard

• Added raindrops on canopy

• Interior lighting and reflections updated

• Flight model

• Entirely rewritten FM

• Overhauled engine and rotor behaviours

• Updated mass and payload mass parameters

• Many new behaviours added or reworked (ground effect, flapback/blowback, retreating blade stall, density altitude, ETL…)

• Engine surge effect from rapid collective movement added

• Force Feedback support added

• Removed ‘Easier Controls’ special option

• Removed ‘Rudder Trimmer’ special option (replaced with new trim options)

• New trim options for cyclic and pedal behaviour when using ‘Force Trim Interrupt’

• None - has no effect

• Instant - trim position instantly set to current cyclic/pedal position

• Fade In/Fade Out - trim position will move to current cyclic/pedal position over short time period (<1sec) (also applies to ‘Trimmer Reset’)

• Applied upon Recentering - trim position will apply instantly only when cyclic/pedal position is recentered

• Updated controls indicator

• Red marker shows control position

• Grey marker shows trim position

• Autopilot markers removed for further consideration

• Updated/added network animations

• Implemented IFF panel (limited functionality)

• Updated autopilot system

• Airspeed/Altitude hold mode removed for further consideration

• “Auto-collective” removed for further consideration

• Added light indicators for auto-hover (CSV) and heading-align (ALV) autopilot modes

• Autopilot master switch will not engage/will disengage if pitch, roll or yaw SAS disabled

• Added smoke display system

• Smoke launchers can be equipped in the rearm/refuel screen

• Smoke launchers have a new input to toggle on/off

• Collective can be hidden by clicking on base of collective

• Added tablet navigation aid

• Tablet can be disabled from mission editor

• Tablet provides map, heading, airspeed and groundspeed GPS information

• Tablet is disabled / invisible in missions with a date set prior to April 1994

• Updated slip ball to be less erratic

• Fuel warning light now flickers if below 80L

SA342L

• Added new weapons:

• 2x/4x Mistral

• 2x/4x HOT3

• HMP400 gunpods (100, 200, 400)

• Selectable GIAT M621 20mm

• Replaced Viviane screen with periscope sight

• Replaced Viviane control panel with periscope control board

• Periscope provides two zoom levels

• Toggleable gyro stabilisation

• Selectable reticles for estimating distance

• Connected to ‘VIS’ mode on Artificial Horizon same as Viviane

• Pilot sight can be hidden by clicking on mounting of pilot sight

• Added ground crew option to remove doors

• Added option to shoot multiple pylons if the weapon is from the same type

SA342M

• Viviane camera code overhauled

• Viviane multicrew synchronisation improved

SA342 Mistral

• Removed playable version (now replaced by SA342L)

• Removed Custom Cockpit options

SA342 Minigun

• Added special option to decouple minigun from head/camera view

• Added inputs for keyboard/joystick control of minigun

• Added inputs for mouse control of minigun

• Added clickables and inputs for minigun safety, sight power/brightness and IR laser

SA342_2023_0601_1024.png

Finally! Thank You!

• Like 3

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

What exactly does "AI now able to fire HOT3 missiles" is there some sort of petrovitch or does it just mean AI choppers. 

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That's a great news ! 

• Viviane multicrew synchronisation improved

What do you mean by improved? Isn't it fully fixed yet? 

This is what makes me stop using the Gazelle years ago. If it's not fully fixed, even with a new FM, it's a no go and she will stay grounded. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

17 hours ago, Polychop Simulations said:

Btw. Imortant question - Is this new sight function was tested in VR also?

No any issue? Did you check it too how it works in VR?

image.png

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 2

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

9 hours ago, diditopgun said:

Isn't it fully fixed yet? 

My understanding is that shared buttons/keys between pilot and co-pilot are improved but the copilot needs to press buttons (i.e. for NADIR data entry) at a slower/steady pace than normal (i.e. press/hold/release) to avoid multicrew network desync on keydown/keyup "events".

How much control Polychop have over sync issues and how much is on ED/DCS is unknown, so we'll need to wait for the update before forming an opinion.

9 hours ago, diditopgun said:

This is what makes me stop using the Gazelle years ago. If it's not fully fixed, even with a new FM, it's a no go and she will stay grounded.

IMHO, your loss - I find the Gazelle's positives outway it's negatives most of the time but you're always entitled to your opinion, however as PC have clearly put a lot of work into this "FREE" update - it seems poor manners to throw shade on the update before even trying it. YMMV.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 5

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I don't throw shade on the update which looks great and I'm waiting for years. I'm asking a legit question about a major issue that's a showstopper for me.

I'm talking about Viviane display desynch in multicrew so that the copilot put the crosshair on target but for the pilot it's off the target and so the missile miss the target.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

3 hours ago, diditopgun said:

I don't throw shade on the update which looks great and I'm waiting for years. I'm asking a legit question about a major issue that's a showstopper for me.

I'm talking about Viviane display desynch in multicrew so that the copilot put the crosshair on target but for the pilot it's off the target and so the missile miss the target.

The Viviane camera behaviour has been rewritten, the sync logic was updated to account for this. Multicrew was mostly fixed last year in any case.

5 hours ago, YoYo said:

Btw. Imortant question - Is this new sight function was tested in VR also?

No any issue? Did you check it too how it works in VR?

Yes, of course it was tested in VR. Stop worrying, you'll like it, it becomes very natural to use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Kinkkujuustovoileipä said:

Yes, of course it was tested in VR. Stop worrying, you'll like it, it becomes very natural to use.

Great! :thumbsup: Cant wait :).

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

4 hours ago, Kinkkujuustovoileipä said:

The Viviane camera behaviour has been rewritten, the sync logic was updated to account for this. Multicrew was mostly fixed last year in any case.

Great ! Can't wait to try it. 👍

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you. I've been waiting for years for the Gazelle to have a proper FM. I'm really looking forward to taking this thing out for some light attack scout work. It's really nice to see this bird getting some love. It makes me feel alot better about the Kiowa when it's ready.  I know it's a tall order but I do hope you guys can one day get an Ai similar to the Gorge/Peteovitch Ai. That would make using the Hot missiles so much better. That and hopefully one day you can get something like the simple Ai for the mini gun equipped Gazelle. COIN opes in this thing are going to be amazing. 

I have a mission creation question - I see the Mistral is no longer going to be available. Is there just going to be one helicopter now?

For preparation (where I don't have access to the new changes yet) - what's the best way to prepare for this in a mission I'm currently creating? Should I just drop L's spawns only and remove the others?

Thanks in Advance.

Edited by Dangerzone

41 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

Is there just going to be one helicopter now?

No, there are L, M and Mini-gun variants.

43 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

- what's the best way to prepare for this in a mission I'm currently creating?

The old L and Mistral variants are now combined in the new "L" version and are now determined by their "loadout"

The new "L" can also carry HOT missiles or FN HMP400 .50 cal gun pods.

The "M" is the only version with a night vision camera and laser range finder, so still has an important role in night missions, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

5 minutes ago, Ramsay said:

No, there are L, M and Mini-gun variants.

The old L and Mistral variants are now combined in the new "L" version and are now determined by their "loadout"

The new "L" can also carry HOT missiles or FN HMP400 .50 cal gun pods.

The "M" is the only version with a night vision camera and laser range finder, so still has an important role in night missions, etc.

Cheers - so basically put them all down except the Mistral in the current build and it should be ready for the new release. Thanks for the confirmation.

Cosmo Show! 😁

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Any intention to make the L pilot sight adjustable  (e.g. like the UH1H).  Using the sight currently is 'guesswork'. Currently for guns the sight points short of where the rounds impact. For Rockets the sight points Long beyond where the rockets impact.  In the existing L you can see visuals for the sight adjuster, but it is non functional. Ideally the pilot would surely adjust the sight depression to suit the weapon being fired? 

• Thanks 1

7 часов назад, Silversmith сказал:

In the existing L you can see visuals for the sight adjuster, but it is non functional. Ideally the pilot would surely adjust the sight depression to suit the weapon being fired? 

And also in accordance with the parameters of the beginning of the attack (height, and speed)

• Like 1