MT freezes even in main menu

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

Thanks to @Ballinger French's suggestion, we're going somewhere.

So far, disabling cores parking works for : @BJ55, @Cyborg71 and @NAJ. What is your CPU model and your OS, guys?

Thanks for looking into this.  My CPU is an i9-12900K with 16 cores (8xP and 8xE), running stock less turning off core parking (no O/C).  OS is Win 11 (OS build 22621.2428).

@Flappie So unparking the cores resolved my issue as well.

I used CPU Unpark (https://coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility), which gives some control over this i.e. you can change it per power plan, no messing with the registry, etc

I found that my default parking index was 4% i.e. 96% of my core's were allowed to be parked.

By trial and error, setting this to 80% has meant my stutter issue is gone and I no longer need to disable CPU8. And I still get some energy savings when not gaming.

image.png

Edited by AdrianL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

disabling core parking worked here for me too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Hello Folks,

who ever came with this solution, i go on my knees and salute to him. I checked my Task Manager and almost all of my cores were sleeping (550 bucks for sleeping CPU?) and then i just got this program found here in this forum (https://coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility) started it, put 100% to unparked and now all my 32 cores woke up. Started DCS MT, DLSS + SS and all possible to max and started the SIM. Everything works perfect, high FPS, very nice graphics, just wow.

For DCS Team: I dont understand much about this technical stuff, but it was not your fault. Its just the new CPU style of working. Maybe you can do the next step and implement in the DCS something like to activate all cores, so when the player start DCS all cores should go on automatically. 

For all who has this issue, get this program and try it. Thank you for all trying to help and big thanks to the guy who came with this software and solution.

Edited by Omega1-1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Omega1-1 said:

For DCS Team: I dont understand much about this technical stuff, but it was not your fault. Its just the new CPU style of working. Maybe you can do the next step and implement in the DCS something like to activate all cores, so when the player start DCS all cores should go on automatically.

Users should not be forced to disable any Windows feature in order to play in good conditions. 😉

I told devs about the workaround. I hope they will be able to find what's wrong with DCS core handling.

About the workaround, all credits go to @Ballinger French. 👏 Thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Flappie:

Users should not be forced to disable any Windows feature in order to play in good conditions. 😉

I told devs about the workaround. I hope they will be able to find what's wrong with DCS core handling.

Yes i agree 1000% with you, but since i use the BETA launcher, so i will just ignore this issue, for me the most important thing is, that i can play DCS with MT and it works with this quick fix. I believe they will fix that soon.

And thank you @Ballinger French 🫡

I agree too, this seems a Microsoft bug, another one on the list... I will check again if cores remain parked even with other programs, almost two heavy demanding ones suffer from the same issue.

Btw this parking thing seems totally useless: 8W idle with parked cores, 8W idle with unparked cores.

The specs: I7-12700F, 64GB DDR4 3600 (XMP1), Asus Z670M, MSI RTX 3070 536.23, TIR 5, TM WH+VPC base, Win10 Pro 22H2, Eset SSP. Please note that my OS is debloated and with useless services disabled for professional needs, so no Xbox services running in background nor Nvidia stuff network traffic.

I7-12700F, 64GB DDR4 3600 (XMP1), Asus Z670M, MSI RTX 3070, TIR 5, TM WH VPC base, Win10 Pro

10 hours ago, Flappie said:

Good to see an available fix/workaround, fairly minor thing to do overall.

9 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

So, by default, the Windows 'High Performance' plan has parking disabled. All other plans will generally have CPU parking enabled.

I posted here as to how to check if your power plan has parking disabled 

Im not sure, I use only High performance plan from years only and still I see parked CPU.

Btw. soft for easy unpark / park again - Park Control:

https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Looks ok I suppose.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Flappie:

Flappie hits the bullseye. It is an absolute disgrace to expect DCS users to fiddle around in the registry editor to play the simulation. And no, that's not Intels or AMDs fault. A separate MT application was created to solve exactly such issues. Since the beginning of July there have been clear signs that the MT approach has massive problems with core handling. The DCS development team was unwilling to look closely to it or unable to find a solution. For me this is a clear failure.

V2.9 is currently unplayable for me. Random freezes, stutters, sometimes massive lags.

i9-13900K, 32GB DDR5, MSI 4090 Suprim X, ASUS Strix Z790-E, 2x 1TB SSD, Monitor 3840x2160 120Hz, Win 11. OS and DCS all on same SSD.

3 hours ago, AdrianL said:

So, by default, the Windows 'High Performance' plan has parking disabled. All other plans will generally have CPU parking enabled.

I posted here as to how to check if your power plan has parking disabled 

Not quiet. On systems with CPUs that have both P- and E- cores (like the 12700, 12900, 13700 and 13900 intel CPUs) the 'High Performance' plan has core parking disabled by default only for the E-cores. On these systems you need to disable core parking for the P- cores as well as @AdrianL described here:

Be aware though, that it will increase the power consumption of your CPU in general, even if you're not playing DCS. It's yet another workaround in addition to the already discussed workarounds:

• Disabling Hyper Threading (HT) in the BIOS, which will disable all your virtual cores, thus reducing overall CPU performance.
  • Taking core #8 away from DCS through the Task Manager, which has to be done everytime DCS is launched.

All three workaround work just fine, but each has its own unique advantages and disadvantages

Edited by QuiGon
  • Thanks 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I suffered from this when I upgraded to 13900k earlier this year, best solution was to use park control by bitsum (paid software, I have nothing to do with the company). I created a game profile to force it out of parking once DCS is launched. 

https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

By the way, I tested few games at that time and all when launched forced my cpu out of park except DCS. 

• Thanks 1

Specs: 13900k @ 5.5Ghz, 64GB @ 3600Mhz, 3080Ti.

Yah, same here.  Bitsum's Highest Perormance Mode solved it for me, chiefly by disabling core parking I assume.

I use Process Lasso to implement it, but Park Control works also as Outlaw pointed out.

Smooth Flying on max settings since 2.9 with this fix.  Very happy.

Win 10    i7 8700K    RTX 3090   4k 2-D

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

On 10/21/2023 at 2:34 PM, Tazer83 said:

I think people on here need to be aware that this is a (OPEN BETA) update (A MASSIVE ONE) which means its going to come with a considerable amount of bugs hence the reason for this thread. The thread is meant for reporting bugs so the developers can get to the bottom of them and basically hotfix them. If you don't want the bugs play STABLE and then wait for the fixes to migrate from open beta to stable.

We're all aware of this, don't worry.

It's not like "STABLE" is anymore stable than "BETA", and if we don't complain here, the same bug will end up in "STABLE".

We know everything is massive and complex, but judging by the lack of fix since this 4 month old thread started, the priorities seem a bit off. Hopefully threads like this demonstrate that it's a very common issue that should be addressed sooner rather than later.

On 10/21/2023 at 7:34 AM, Tazer83 said:

I think people on here need to be aware that this is a (OPEN BETA) update (A MASSIVE ONE) which means its going to come with a considerable amount of bugs hence the reason for this thread. The thread is meant for reporting bugs so the developers can get to the bottom of them and basically hotfix them. If you don't want the bugs play STABLE and then wait for the fixes to migrate from open beta to stable.

It's not like this stall/freeze issue just started with 2.9 beta. This has been floundering since whichever 2.8 release packaged the F-15E.

The original problem persisted even in 2.8 stable.

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Something new to add:

Last night, I had run several F-16 and A-10II C flights' training and/or fast action.

First mission selected was Caucuses free flight. Clicked to start, then the subsequent loading screen starts... with no progress on the meter, I can still hear theme music. If I try to wait it out, then it NEVER finishes loading (as I have reported multiple times). One way I have found to fight passed this loading screen hang is to wait about 20 seconds, or at the point when I usually hear my CPU/GPU fans spins down to idle and either left click ONE time on the screen, or remove my G2 and tap my finger over the sensor located between the lenses. 

Doing so will 99% of the time cause my fans to kick up rpms again and viola! sim finishes loading.

Now... If I simply quit that particular mission and start it again, it loads as expected. If I quit that mission and choose another from the list, like Cold and Dark, I do the dance all over again.

Fast forward to the F-15E

I tried the same process again... first training mission selected, do the wait 20 seconds dance, tap sensor, mission loads.

Finished that training mission, quit, selected next on the list and fully expected the same behavior with every other aircraft... only this time, with the F-15E every subsequent mission loads AS EXPECTED.

Don't know what this means on the guts and backend of DCS/Edge but, there it is.

I can replicate this behavior time after time like clockwork. Again, if I do not attempt to intervene by tapping the G2 sensor a couple times or a single mouse click on the DCS load screen, it will eventually CTD with Windows reporting "this application is no longer responding... etc

To add: If you've done a fresh install or cleared metashaders and fx0 folders, then you are in for longer wait.

Edited by Sr.
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

2 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Something new to add:

Last night, I had run several F-16 and A-10II C flights' training and/or fast action.

First mission selected was Caucuses free flight. Clicked to start, then the subsequent loading screen starts... with no progress on the meter, I can still hear theme music. If I try to wait it out, then it NEVER finishes loading (as I have reported multiple times). One way I have found to fight passed this loading screen hang is to wait about 20 seconds, or at the point when I usually hear my CPU/GPU fans spins down to idle and either left click ONE time on the screen, or remove my G2 and tap my finger over the sensor located between the lenses. 

Doing so will 99% of the time cause my fans to kick up rpms again and viola! sim finishes loading.

Now... If I simply quit that particular mission and start it again, it loads as expected. If I quit that mission and choose another from the list, like Cold and Dark, I do the dance all over again.

Fast forward to the F-15E

I tried the same process again... first training mission selected, do the wait 20 seconds dance, tap sensor, mission loads.

Finished that training mission, quit, selected next on the list and fully expected the same behavior with every other aircraft... only this time, with the F-15E every subsequent mission loads AS EXPECTED.

Don't know what this means on the guts and backend of DCS/Edge but, there it is.

I can replicate this behavior time after time like clockwork. Again, if I do not attempt to intervene by tapping the G2 sensor a couple times or a single mouse click on the DCS load screen, it will eventually CTD with Windows reporting "this application is no longer responding... etc

sounds like its because your headset is turning off while its loading. When your headset falls asleep or goes idle, DCS does a hard close. Ive had that problem for a long time.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

50 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

sounds like its because your headset is turning off while its loading. When your headset falls asleep or goes idle, DCS does a hard close. Ive had that problem for a long time.

Nope

I get the same behavior/resolution in pancake mode too. I can still see grey in the display and HEAR DCS theme music playing.

EDIT: This time around, I started with the F-15E. First load required the "dance". Next 3 missions (same map) click/load as expected.

Then I quit the F-15E training mission and selected a F-16 Caucuses take off, loaded immediately.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark