MT freezes even in main menu

On 10/27/2023 at 10:17 PM, P3Ci said:

Hi, if I can,I will add my log here.dcs.log

Cause it reminds me of my problem too.

Iam plaing on 13700K + rtx4080 32gigs of DDR4 - all stable otherwise

Never got stuck in menu, but in game sometimes it happens - the freeze

One flight test of some Harrier mission, were I always test I got several freezes.

in game it seems  (CTRL+PAUSE) CPU bound then immediately after GPU bound and freeze of about 1,5s
In Windows task manager I see 8th thread utilized to the max. and every other core is like not working...

In this log, it was still coming again and again, I have waited about 10 minutes and tried to play in that, so that the log is long enought, hope it helps...

On the other hand, thanks for added eye candy !!

2,9 is BEST gift this year !!!

Unparking cores, helped a lot ! So far

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 12:35 AM, CaptainFlint42 said:

I am having stutters to single digit FPS in the main menu with 2.9 Multithreading as well.

I see most of the comments here are Intel, but I'm on Ryzen.

Running a 5800X3D, 3090, 32GB RAM, Reverb G2.

I could've sworn I didn't see these issues in the first 2.9 release, but have seen them since the release of DCS 2.9.0.47168 Open Beta.

No issues with single-threading 2.9 running through SteamVR.

I've successfully unparked all my CPU cores with the CPU Unpark App - still having issues.

Looking at Resource Monitor and Process Lasso - I'm seeing CPU10 going to a solid 100%. So I've deselected CPU10 with Process Lasso.

Still seeing the stuttering issues.

DxDiag-Flint-Nov1.txt 112.96 kB · 0 downloads dcs.log 79.35 kB · 0 downloads

I have done a bunch of checking today and nothing is alleviating this for me.

Tried disabling SMT in Process Lasso.

Tried SteamVR instead of WMR.

Tried MT Flat screen and still got the same issue.

Went back to previous NVIDIA drivers.

All the same  - lots of stutters even in the menu.

Just to be clear -- When I see the issue i also see the green "simulation" line spike in the DCS frame time overlay.

16 minutes ago, CaptainFlint42 said:

I have done a bunch of checking today and nothing is alleviating this for me.

Tried disabling SMT in Process Lasso.

Tried SteamVR instead of WMR.

Tried MT Flat screen and still got the same issue.

Went back to previous NVIDIA drivers.

All the same  - lots of stutters even in the menu.

Just to be clear -- When I see the issue i also see the green "simulation" line spike in the DCS frame time overlay.

Are you using Process Lasso in Windows 10 or 11? Ive had nothing but problems with Process Lasso in 11 for some reason or other, and the best thing you can do is just the registry edit to unpark the cores.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

[System context: Win11 + 12900K + non-VR]

Result after a couple of days of stress testing on busy MP servers with unparked E+P cores: zero freezes or stutters

Using @QuiGon's method to show additional properties in the power plan menu

Details:
OB 2.9.0.47168 (MT) (current version at time of posting)
Single 1440p screen (no VR)
Windows 11 (22H2 - Build 22621.2506 - up to date at moment of testing)
i9-12900K
Drivers up to date (video, audio, system etc)
BIOS up to date
Hyper-Threading active
100% unparked E and P cores [registry key values: "dec35c318583" (E-cores) and "dec35c318584" (P-cores)]
Power plan: "Balanced" (no need for CPU running at max frequency during idle state)

Power plan settings:

image.png

[edit] (Update: 9 November)

Still zero stutters and freezes
The only issues I currently encounter are related to the OB 2.9.0.47168 performance challenges imposed on MP servers (server load, lags/desync...)

Edited by boerdi
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Gorn_GER said:

Sorry, but I do not want to do all the workaround, I need ED to work all day as fast as they can to fix it. 

me and a friend stoped playing for the moment because it is unplayable for him. 
please ED.

I have faith that ED will get this fixed as fast as they can, but, I can also understand that it would be difficult depending on the coding and testing required... if it was a consistent problem for everyone it would be "easier"... multi thread coding and debugging across multiple platforms is not simple ...

If you don't want to do the work around, then you might want to consider if Open Beta is the right choice for you and your friend... you will have less bugs in stable... sure you  don't get the new eye candy/and modules as fast, and you will restrict your online servers but those are the choices if you want to fly

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, Gorn_GER said:

Sorry, but I do not want to do all the workaround, I need ED to work all day as fast as they can to fix it. 

me and a friend stoped playing for the moment because it is unplayable for him. 
please ED.

Sooner or later the fix will be, Im sure. However remember that this issue is present from June (for some, now for more people) so I dont expect the fix soon.

Unparked cores fixed this issue 100%.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

Unparked cores fixed this issue 100%.

The correct term for this solution is "workaround".

A fix doesn't require any user actions.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

I have unparked all cores, even for both core-types, turned of hyper threading etc. Some days it runs smoothly, other days it's a mess with stuttering and sound drop-out even on the menu. So unfortunately the unparking of cores does not completely solve this for me.

HW: Intel i5 13600K, 64Gb DDR5, RTX 4090, Winwing Orion 2 HOTAS, TM TPR rudderpedals, Pico 4 VR+VirtualDesktop (VDXR), Win11
DCS: F-5, F-86, F-16, F-15E, FA-18, F-14, Harrier, Viggen, M-2000C, A-10C, AH-64, UH-1, Mi-8, Mi-24, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mig-21, P-47, P-51, Spitfire, Mosquito, Bf-109, Fw-190A, Fw-190D, Yak-52, C101, all maps & tech, SuperCarrier

I have unparked all cores, even for both core-types, turned of hyper threading etc. Some days it runs smoothly, other days it's a mess with stuttering and sound drop-out even on the menu. So unfortunately the unparking of cores does not completely solve this for me.
I'm going through my windows install and making sure I don't have a lot of stuff unnecessarily running. I also unparked my cores and didn't really see a difference either but there's got to be something going on I just can't figure it out.

I don't have any issues in main menu but in instant action missions I get a lot of microstutters consistently and it becomes annoying to the point that I just use single threaded DCS instead because I don't have the same issue there.

I'm also in VR which I know is more demanding but I've never had this problem before.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

9 minutes ago, sze5003 said:

I'm going through my windows install and making sure I don't have a lot of stuff unnecessarily running. I also unparked my cores and didn't really see a difference either but there's got to be something going on I just can't figure it out.

I don't have any issues in main menu but in instant action missions I get a lot of microstutters consistently and it becomes annoying to the point that I just use single threaded DCS instead because I don't have the same issue there.

I'm also in VR which I know is more demanding but I've never had this problem before.

Same for me: Menu ok but sometimes random heavy stuttering in free flight missions...... 

SYS: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi || Ryzen 5900x || Gainward RTX4090 || 2x16 Gb Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200@3800 || XPG Core Reactor 850 Watt PSU || Kingston Fury 2 TB NVME SSD || WD SN850 1TB NVME || 1 x 500 GB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD || 2 x HDD 3TB || Thrustmaster F-16 & F-18 Stick on Virpil War BRD Bases || WinWing Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo || WinWing Orion2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle Combo (With Finger Lift) || WinWing Takeoff Panel II MFG Crosswind Pedals w. Damper || 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD || Multipurpose UFC ||  Wheel Stand Pro II

VR: HP Reverb G2

In my experience with a brand new 12700KF and a RTX 4070.

Just using Process Lasso and telling the software to use Bitsum Highest Perfomance for DCS exe was enough to stop the "jumpiness" between cores and enjoy a smooth flight.

I didn´t need to unpark anything

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

vor 10 Stunden schrieb speed-of-heat:

I have faith that ED will get this fixed as fast as they can, but, I can also understand that it would be difficult depending on the coding and testing required... if it was a consistent problem for everyone it would be "easier"... multi thread coding and debugging across multiple platforms is not simple ...

If you don't want to do the work around, then you might want to consider if Open Beta is the right choice for you and your friend... you will have less bugs in stable... sure you  don't get the new eye candy/and modules as fast, and you will restrict your online servers but those are the choices if you want to fly

Problematic is not the use of stable version in case of modules, harrier, Hornet, viggen are all my favourites on stable nor but the community server support is not as good as on beta. Most people want that fanc new stuff, so I know no one who uses stable, same as servers. All people I know play on beta server. Stable is something nice to have for singleplayer. 

plus, I am VR player and even with 4090 the performance on pre-DLSS was not shining. 

33 minutes ago, Gorn_GER said:

Problematic is not the use of stable version in case of modules, harrier, Hornet, viggen are all my favourites on stable nor but the community server support is not as good as on beta. Most people want that fanc new stuff, so I know no one who uses stable, same as servers. All people I know play on beta server. Stable is something nice to have for singleplayer. 

plus, I am VR player and even with 4090 the performance on pre-DLSS was not shining. 

then use the workaround... 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

However, I must confirm one issue that was raised here in total too. Unparked cores also does not solve the problem 100% - if it works, it's ok 👍, but if it doesn't, the problem returns 😑. Yesterday, when starting DCS, the stutter appeared again at the menu level. I was very surprised because I hadn't seen this problem for a long time.

I checked the power settings and noticed that, miraculously, they had gone back to 0% (instead of 100%). Someone wrote about it here some time ago, that unfortunately it's not a "fire and forget" option. ED must also pay attention to this when optimizing the operation of DCS MT when developing this fix

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

For me I have constant stutter with fps spikes in MT version of dcs in VR. I tried unparking all cores, tried disabling e cores, nothing has really helped.

After messing with settings so many times I got sick and tired of it. I noticed the longer I'm in MT version the worse the performance gets and the more frequent the stutter.

Eventually it gets so bad that it ends up freezing, whether on the way from quiting a mission to main menu or on main menu itself.

I find that when this happens, removing CPU 8 from task manager affinity section helps unfreeze dcs. It doesn't alleviate the stutters while flying but at least it unfreezes the sim when this happens.

Also this freezing happens randomly for me too but behaves more like a memory leak.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

However, I must confirm one issue that was raised here in total too. Unparked cores also does not solve the problem 100% - if it works, it's ok 👍, but if it doesn't, the problem returns 😑. Yesterday, when starting DCS, the stutter appeared again at the menu level. I was very surprised because I hadn't seen this problem for a long time.

I checked the power settings and noticed that, miraculously, they had gone back to 0% (instead of 100%). Someone wrote about it here some time ago, that unfortunately it's not a "fire and forget" option. ED must also pay attention to this when optimizing the operation of DCS MT when developing this fix

are you saying that your cores have become "parked" again ? 

18 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

are you saying that your cores have become "parked" again ? 

Yes, even it was ok and they are properly unparked before. There were such posts here. Now I gave it 100% again and all cores are ok again (all are unparked), but you have to be watchful 😁.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

I had fixed this unchecking Core 8 in affinity and had no issues until yesterday when stutters appeared again and made it unplayable despite my efforts 😞

(i7 12700KF, 32gb ram, rtx 3070, quest 2)

I am coming to the conclusion that even I have less mood swings than DCS lol

I recently installed processor lasso and monitored my 13900k.

I start up in VR and notice CPU 8 is 100%. Other cores not sharing load, so I parked it with processor lasso.

Then CPU 9 takes 100% so I park that next, then same happens with 10 and same with CPU 11.

After that I see at least one efficiency core is at 100%. It bounces around between efficiency cores but always there is just 1 random one at 100%.

What am I supposed to do keep parking cores until I can't park any left?

Pretty sure this is part of the reason I have constant stutter.

16 hours ago, YoYo said:

Do you have extra (non-Windows) software that manages power plans?
Or maybe Windows Update decided to overwrite the edit 😕

Since I applied the "show-me-the-extra-power-plan-settings" registry edit on 30 October everything works butter smooth and Windows kept the registry edit intact even after doing the latest 23H2 update.

The only issues I currently encounter are the performance challenges imposed by OB 2.9.0.47168 on MP servers 😅 (server load, lag/desyncs etc)

12 minutes ago, boerdi said:

Since I applied the "show-me-the-extra-power-plan-settings" registry edit on 30 October everything works butter smooth and Windows kept the registry edit intact even after doing the latest 23H2 update.

The only issues I currently encounter are the performance challenges imposed by OB 2.9.0.47168 on MP servers 😅 (server load, lag/desyncs etc)

agreed that was what was wondering through my mind... unless you do a clean install nothing in windows should change it "automagically" unless it is operator initiated... 

1 hour ago, boerdi said:

1/ no

2/ maybe this or Windows update, we will see. Currently, after changing to all unparked again, it works fine again, even after restarts so strange but the truth is that Windows can park the cores back on its own without knowledge of user, looks like. Btw. I have HT=on.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Just fired DCS up in 2.9 and am having stutters in game and in menu that make the game unplayable.

5600x, 3080, 32gb ram, Win 11.

The stutters are relatively short but they happen at a frequency which makes the game simply unplayable  I deleted fxo and metashaders, cleaned and repaired my DCS and this fixed my issue for 1 gameplay session.  Fired the game back up the following night and the stutters were back.  Messing with cores in Task Manage has had no effect.  Desperate for any suggestions.