Next (RED) cold war fixed wing in DCS

Logan54

Next DCS (RED) fixed wing aircraft in DCS?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What module u want to see in DCS?

• Yak-38 (Forger-A)
    • MiG-25PD/RBT (Foxbat)
    • MiG-27 (Flogger-D)
    • Su-15 (Flagon)
    • Su-25 (Frogfoot)

A ground pounder from late Cold War would be nice, we don't have any full fi Soviet strike jets yet. MiG-27K or Su-17/22M4 would be the best, being capable of PGM and ARM usage. MiG-27K especially, but I doubt it's possible.

TBH I find both MiG-25 and especially Su-15 out of DCS' scope. Su-15 simply does not belong in tactical aviation environment. Yak-38 is hardly possible. And a full fidelity Su-25 isn't going to be much different from the one we have, and it wouldn't give the Red side new capabilities it desperately needs which Su-17 and MiG-27 have.

• Like 4

This one is really difficult to answer, because I kinda want them all.

With the Kola Peninsula map we'll have airbases for 3 of them (MiG-25RB, Su-15 and Yak-38), but for the latter, I'd want an 80s Kiev to go with it (and a few more Soviet surface combatants, namely the Sovremenny, Udaloy I and Kresta II).

For our current maps, the MiG-25 fits over Syria, the Su-15 fits over the Caucasus and the MiG-25 kinda fits over the Sinai. For the Syria map, the MiG-25 was used by both Syria and Iraq. While we don't have much of the latter, we do have one airbase group (H-3) for them. For the Caucasus, the Su-15 fits, being based at Gadauta (and Marneuli, though despite the Caucasus map covering the area, the airbase isn't present). For the Sinai map, Soviet MiG-25Rs were briefly based at Cairo West in the early 70s, being used to perform reconnaissance over Israel.

On 9/25/2023 at 4:23 PM, Nipil said:

TBH I find both MiG-25 and especially Su-15 out of DCS' scope. Su-15 simply does not belong in tactical aviation environment.

Well, you say that, with the Kola Peninsula map we'll hopefully be getting a former (though still clearly extant on satellite imagery) PVO airbase that based the Su-15 (Afrikanda - home to the 431st Fighter Aviation Regiment PVO), fun fact, a Su-15 from this airbase was responsible for the downing of Korean Airlines Flight 902 in 1978. I'm pretty sure it was also based on airbases we have on the Caucasus map (Gudauta).

To the north there's Monchegorsk (which is on the list of bases confirmed), which still bases the MiG-25RB, with the 98th Independent Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment.

So I think there's at least some precedent for them.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

There were two separate devs showing off Su-22, but nothing official yet. So I'd like to see that. The Su-25 would also be welcome. Sadly, Yak-38 is unlikely, though it'd be a very interesting jet to fly. Don't care that much about the interceptors unless someone makes a good campaign for them.

• Like 1

What we have is a Mig15 and 19 and 21, none of the rest are here yet, could be years..
Oficial modules on progress... dont start de "drama" of X.

Enviado desde mi CPH2197 mediante Tapatalk

There were two separate devs showing off Su-22, but nothing official yet. So I'd like to see that. The Su-25 would also be welcome. Sadly, Yak-38 is unlikely, though it'd be a very interesting jet to fly. Don't care that much about the interceptors unless someone makes a good campaign for them.
Su-25 Will move on the same situation of ta Mig-29, Yak-38 Will Missing info, propper wind túnel data, etc.

Enviado desde mi CPH2197 mediante Tapatalk

19 часов назад, 146ti сказал:

Why not th SU-24 FENCER. !! More bombers Please. 

Sorry, but I try to stay realist. Su-24 on service still. And Su-24 mod was stillborn project. Anyway I added Su-25. MiG-27K probably the most capable A/G aircaft here. 

Probably, ED developers, that will check this msg before posting, could to delete Su-17M4 variant and add Su-24, if it possible.

Edited by Logan54
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Logan54 said:

Sorry, but I try to stay realist. Su-24 on service still. And Su-24 mod was stillborn project. Anyway I added Su-25. MiG-27K probably the most capable A/G aircaft here. 

Probably, ED developers, that will check this msg before posting, could to delete Su-17M4 variant and add Su-24, if it possible.

The MI-24 is still in service and there is talk about the MiG-29 which is also in service. I know the MiG-29 is the A module so I'm wondering if there is any chance for some retired 1980s version?

3 hours ago, Teknetinium said:

Mig-29A!

The Fulcrum is in the planning, but I would love it if ED announces it is in EA 

3小时前,upyr1说:

The MI-24 is still in service and there is talk about the MiG-29 which is also in service. I know the MiG-29 is the A module so I'm wondering if there is any chance for some retired 1980s version?

Mi-24 was released 2 years ago. Just the situation intensified so Black shark 3 had features canceled and fulcrum haulted.

I would be thrilled if ED finally get it through to make a fulcrum legitmately

• Like 1

17 hours ago, upyr1 said:

That's why I didn't vote for the Fitter, not becuse I don't want it but rather becuse it has been announced 

It was not announced as official DCS module by anyone.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

В 25.09.2023 в 11:23, Nipil сказал:

A ground pounder from late Cold War would be nice, we don't have any full fi Soviet strike jets yet. MiG-27K or Su-17/22M4 would be the best, being capable of PGM and ARM usage. MiG-27K especially, but I doubt it's possible.

TBH I find both MiG-25 and especially Su-15 out of DCS' scope. Su-15 simply does not belong in tactical aviation environment. Yak-38 is hardly possible. And a full fidelity Su-25 isn't going to be much different from the one we have, and it wouldn't give the Red side new capabilities it desperately needs which Su-17 and MiG-27 have.

There are plenty of ground pounders in DCS now to the point that the concept is getting boring. We need something new and special. Considering the choice (historical relevance) and fidelity of the existing DCS modules, for the DCS core concept - MiG-25 represents a true technological breakthrough of its time and earned its place in the best of the world combat simulators. The redfor community doesn’t just need another whatever red plane, but needs what truly made the difference in aviation history. Neither MiG-23 nor 27 were as crucial as the MiG-25. It’s not all about the ground pounders, let’s be fair. 

Edited by Iron_Man
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Iron_Man said:

There are plenty of ground pounders in DCS now to the point that the concept is getting boring. We need something new and special. Considering the choice (historical relevance) and fidelity of the existing DCS modules, for the DCS core concept - MiG-25 represents a true technological breakthrough of its time and earned its place in the best of the world combat simulators. The redfor community doesn’t just need another whatever red plane, but needs what truly made the difference in aviation history. Neither MiG-23 nor 27 were as crucial as the MiG-25. It’s not all about the ground pounders, let’s be fair.

There are plenty of ground pounders, but not for REDFOR. Workhorses are no less needed then wunderwaffen. Don't take me wrong, I would be very glad to see MiG-25, probably buy it as soon as it appears, but it occupies two very specific niches (strategic interceptor or bomber which can drop a few unguides bombs on a city-side target). Besides, MiG-25 is going to be much harder to do, especially the interceptor versions.

IMHO, we need a coherent environment to operate in first of all. Which means we need some mundane (actually very fun) job to be done. Especially for MP and the Dynamic Campaign to come. Right now USSR has both chopper workhorses, Mi-8 and Mi-24, but only MiG-21 among airplanes. MiG-23 is coming, which is going to satisfy late 70's to early 80's fighter requirement. But no even remotely decent attack aircraft. Without which both MP and DC are not going to feel complete.

Anyways, that's more of an argument about tastes, it's ok to disagree here. I just happen to like workhorses and I feel that without them the whole era feels incomplete. Although I still hold that Su-17/22 and MiG-27 are easier to do. Especially the former, as it was used by so many countries, and was relatively simple  without anything too much secret or complicated.

• Like 4

17 минут назад, Nipil сказал:

There are plenty of ground pounders, but not for REDFOR. Workhorses are no less needed then wunderwaffen. Don't take me wrong, I would be very glad to see MiG-25, probably buy it as soon as it appears, but it occupies two very specific niches (strategic interceptor or bomber which can drop a few unguides bombs on a city-side target). Besides, MiG-25 is going to be much harder to do, especially the interceptor versions.

IMHO, we need a coherent environment to operate in first of all. Which means we need some mundane (actually very fun) job to be done. Especially for MP and the Dynamic Campaign to come. Right now USSR has both chopper workhorses, Mi-8 and Mi-24, but only MiG-21 among airplanes. MiG-23 is coming, which is going to satisfy late 70's to early 80's fighter requirement. But no even remotely decent attack aircraft. Without which both MP and DC are not going to feel complete.

Anyways, that's more of an argument about tastes, it's ok to disagree here. I just happen to like workhorses and I feel that without them the whole era feels incomplete. Although I still hold that Su-17/22 and MiG-27 are easier to do. Especially the former, as it was used by so many countries, and was relatively simple  without anything too much secret or complicated.

I see your point. I think the REDFOR inventory needs some fresh additions. For example, BLUEFOR have F-4E on the way, F-100 and 104 in the works… if we get the 25 AND 17/22 or 27, that will check a lot of boxes for sure. It all depends on a specific third party developer preferences based on their resources. But all in all, I think MiG-25 as a high speed/altitude interceptor with R-40 missiles maybe a very special project, considering that now at least we have 19 and 21 capable of working at low altitudes. 

As well as Su-25, which does need an overhaul. 

Edited by Iron_Man
  • Like 1