Patch notes discussion October 2023 - DCS 2.9

BIGNEWY

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

If you only see Version 2.9.0.46801 then you are running the ST version. MT version can be run if you use the DCS.exe from the bin-MT (in your DCS install directory) instead of the one in then bin directory.

Thanks for the question and for explaining this.  I really thought I was losing my mind because I thought the game was supposed to automatically pick the latest (MT) version when I started the sim.  Why on earth would my machine default to the non-MT version is beyond me.  I suspect there are a lot of folks out there who've never tested the MT version and think they've been using it!!!  I guess I need to reroute the icon I use to start DCS to pull the "other" (MT) executable at startup.  CRAZY!

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

If you only see Version 2.9.0.46801 then you are running the ST version. MT version can be run if you use the DCS.exe from the bin-MT (in your DCS install directory) instead of the one in then bin directory.

Thanks for picking up, I was AFK.

@JEFX Could you solve it?

16 minutes ago, Cavemanhead said:

Thanks for the question and for explaining this.  I really thought I was losing my mind because I thought the game was supposed to automatically pick the latest (MT) version when I started the sim.  Why on earth would my machine default to the non-MT version is beyond me.  I suspect there are a lot of folks out there who've never tested the MT version and think they've been using it!!!  I guess I need to reroute the icon I use to start DCS to pull the "other" (MT) executable at startup.  CRAZY!

Steam or Standalone? 

Steam acts a bit strange seemingly. 

On standalone you always have to pick which version you want to run. Once you made a shortcut to either one it’s no further problem.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

8 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Thanks for picking up, I was AFK.

@JEFX Could you solve it?

Steam or Standalone? 

Steam acts a bit strange seemingly. 

On standalone you always have to pick which version you want to run. Once you made a shortcut to either one it’s no further problem.

On standalone.  I've never had to pick which version I want to run.  I simply update to latest standalone and start...  I'll go back and double-check my claim though...  I'm getting older and more senile with each day so need to verify, but I don't believe I was ever prompted to make a new shortcut and choose a version, etc...  And in the lower right it's just a number with no "MT" designation.

3 hours ago, zildac said:
3 hours ago, PLUTON said:
I don't see what WMR 200 means either and where can we find its figures

Resolution percentage Perhaps?

Hi

Windows mixed reality tools (not the Toolkit)

Pink googles, first setting

By default 100%

If you run 4090, you can go 200% easily, this is making resolution over 4440x4300 I guess

At 4852x47xx, someone said it was optimal for G2, dcs 2.9 crashes for me. 

It gives you great visuals, of course lower FPS

Edited by KCOOL

14 minutes ago, Cavemanhead said:

On standalone.  I've never had to pick which version I want to run.  I simply update to latest standalone and start...  I'll go back and double-check my claim though...  I'm getting older and more senile with each day so need to verify, but I don't believe I was ever prompted to make a new shortcut and choose a version, etc...  And in the lower right it's just a number with no "MT" designation.

When MT was first introduced, they explained how there is a different bin in a different subfolder. So you need to run MT-bin (either directly or pointing a shortcut to it.)

Take a look at the folder-structure of the main installation. It will become obvious. I can’t tell you the exact path and filename from the top of my head, sorry.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

In case it hasn't been (re-)reported yet, the Tomcat's TCS is still broken in 2.9 (black).

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS graphics settings

1 hour ago, Tomcatter87 said:

While I love the new 3D models of the B-1, Buff and S-3, there's something that bugs me in the skin of the new Viking. It has the modex number 727 - while 7XX is correct, I'm pretty sure the S-3 squadrons did not go on cruise with 27 planes. So 702 would have been a better choice 😉 If I find the time, I might even make some skins for the S-3, is there a plan to release a paint template?

I hope at a minimum we can change the side number.

Though about the B-1B - has anyone else noticed that the in-game model appears to not be as detailed as the one shown off in newsletter screenshots and in-game footage? I've noticed that the countermeasure dispensers and windows for the OSO/DSO aren't present, despite them both being so in the aforementioned promotional material. The S-3B is the same where elements that were shown off in full 3D are just textures in game.

Not saying the new models are bad in any way, they're fantastic improvements over what we had previously, but it's interesting to see that the quality has taken a bit of a hit compared to promotional material.

• Like 7

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F-4E, Mi-24P, AJS 37, AV-8B N/A, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

41 minutes ago, Cavemanhead said:

No one was ever promted to make a new shortcut, you had to make one yourself pointing to the mt-bin folder. If you have never done that, the game still always uses the st version

• Like 1

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

27 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Though about the B-1B - has anyone else noticed that the in-game model appears to not be as detailed as the one shown off in newsletter screenshots and in-game footage? I've noticed that the countermeasure dispensers and windows for the OSO/DSO aren't present, despite them both being so in the aforementioned promotional material. The S-3B is the same where elements that were shown off in full 3D are just textures in game.

Not saying the new models are bad in any way, they're fantastic improvements over what we had previously, but it's interesting to see that the quality has taken a bit of a hit compared to promotional material.

Ive noticed theres no tail numbers on the horizontal stab, the textures are super low res, and its also missing its Sniper pod. You cant even load it in the payload manager or remove the pylon for it either. Also seems like its missing a lot of weapons as well: no cruise missiles, no additional fuel tank, and the intakes look like theres a huge block inside. It doesnt look quite finished at the moment. Still a lot of low poly counts.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+/ AH64D grip/custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 + Odyssey Ark | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro
 My wallpaper and skins

5 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

We have known issues in the patch notes, and we are reporting many issues already with peoples feedback. 

Please remember open beta is a public test build so there will be disruption occasionally while we work on issues. 

thank you

Thank you for your input sir, beta has been uninstalled.

null

obu.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gerd said:

Gents, the 1-2 second stutters we have experienced in 2.9 are gone if I run the single-threaded version (from \bin folder), not the multithreaded one that is now the default (from \bin-mt).

(Running on 4-core i5-3570).

I am not running Multi thread. Never have. The update tanked my FPS and any adjustments I make to the settings  on improves if marginally . I plan to play around with it over the weekend but seeing how I went from smooth graphics to the sim becoming completely unplayable after the update I do not think there is any adjustments that will get me back to where I was at.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daemoc said:

2: That's a new one, I have not ran into that one before. I did a lot of custom troop transport missions last night and to be honest, I did not see any difference other than the "embark" "disembark" menus are now highlighted yellow.

There is always one smooth brain that runs 100 meters in the opposite direction before getting aboard though. Seemed to be about the same with the new patch. I wonder what the difference in the missions could be?

I am not claiming there is nothing wrong, I am genuinely curious.

Can you say which troops you use, It might be that the generic DCS ones work but the ones Moders have done wont.  Just flew another mission where I pick up medics and a stretcher, they ran into the side of the UH1 and stopped.  I will make a basic mission and try the various troops.

Still very pleased overall.  I`m on steam and MT.

GE Wings2.jpg           AMD Ryzen 5, 16 GB DDR4, AMD XFX Radeon RX590 8GB, 27" curved Samsung monitor.

3 hours ago, Tomcatter87 said:

there's something that bugs me in the skin of the new Viking.

Same.  It says VS-32 on the side but it doesn't look like a VS-32 Viking.  Where are the tail markings?  If you're gonna label it as a specific squadron, at least add the markings on the rudder or else leave the squadron off for an actual default livery. 

I'm also really hoping for a paint kit because the texture files I've found, while being for the new model, are not actually the high quality textures used on the model in game.  So currently you can't even attempt to make your own template/liveries because the files are locked away somewhere...

p3538479604-3-256277606.png

p3788655707-3-3832607253.png

• Like 2

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

The models look less detailed because they are less detailed. They are not the same models ED has been showing us for the past year, you can compare the in-game models to the marketing materials and see for yourself. I posted some screenshots from the DCS discord in the linked thread.

I don't think this can be explained by a desire for optimization. LODs exist for that already and can scale as needed.

Edited by ACS_Dev
Removed unconfirmed speculation.
  • Like 2

"Got a source for that claim?"

Too busy learning the F-16 to fly it, Too busy making missions to play them

Callsign: "NoGo" "Because he's always working in the editor/coding something and he never actually flies" - frustrated buddy

Main PC: Ryzen 5 5600X, Radeon 6900XT, 32GB DDR4-3000, All the SSDs. Server PC: Dell Optiplex 5070, I7 9700T 3.5GHz, 32GB DDR4-2133. Oculus Quest 3.

4 hours ago, bfr said:

One other thing that suddenly jumped back into my mind from briefly playing around with DLSS. Has anyone else observed like a weird effect if you look in the external fly-by view? Almost like what i'd describe as that 'motion smearing' effect you used to see in Star Trek when a ship goes to warp.  It kind of showed up around the tail and wingtips a little at the start of a fly-by and then sorts itself out after a few frames as the plane approaches and passes the camera, before starting again as the view resets for another pass.

This was on a 3070 with DLSS + DLAA enabled and 0.5 sharpening applied.

Yep, I don't have a NVIDIA card but I see it too with an AMD card and FSR enabled.

• Like 1

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Hi,

For those of you that are having problems, I have been testing the DLSS/DLAA and I have found that the problems with some elements are blurry because they leave ghost images when they or the background moves.
For example some elements in the cockpit, like fuze mode in the harrier or FC3 HUD (weirdly this doesn't happen in the HUD of full fidelity modules) or aircrafts moving fast at short/medium distance.

This is even more noticeable in VR, and have nothing to do with Frame Rate lost (I am having same FR than before the v2.9, no stuttering and no problem with other elements like scenery, clouds, etc)

For me, at least for now, it is better to not use DLSS or DLAA (turn them off, or use other options). Check this, maybe it could help you:

Edited by daemon1808
  • Like 1

I am absolutely stunned by the new airflow effect on vegetation from helicopter rotor downwash - incredible! But I am not able to see it in VR. Is that intended? I use MT, when using no VR all is fine but in VR I cannot enable DLSS/DLAA in VR and do not see the effect. The dust effect however is visible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daemon1808 said:

Hi,

For those of you that are having problems, I have been testing the DLSS/DLAA and I have found that the problems with some elements are blurry because they leave ghost images when they or the background moves.
For example some elements in the cockpit, like fuze mode in the harrier or FC3 HUD (weirdly this doesn't happen in the HUD of full fidelity modules) or aircrafts moving fast at short/medium distance.

This is even more noticeable in VR, and have nothing to do with Frame Rate lost (I am having same FR than before the v2.9, no stuttering and no problem with other elements like scenery, clouds, etc)

For me, at least for now, it is better to not use DLSS or DLAA (turn them off, or use other options). Check this, maybe it could help you:

Try pushing the resolution up a bit in VR. This seems to reduce the artefacts and still gives good performance. I use QVFR to increase the centre resolution and it looks pretty good (pico 4 VD godlike, centre at 1.5, edges at 0.4). At native resolution I see black “strings” stretching from aircraft. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

3 hours ago, Manhorne said:

I am not running Multi thread. Never have. The update tanked my FPS and any adjustments I make to the settings  on improves if marginally . I plan to play around with it over the weekend but seeing how I went from smooth graphics to the sim becoming completely unplayable after the update I do not think there is any adjustments that will get me back to where I was at.

Check the bottom right of your splash screen and see if it says MT preview.  The default path in the DCS shortcut was changed from ST to MT in this patch, so even if you are using the same shortcut you might be using MT even if you don't know it currently.

5 hours ago, mosqui said:

Question for bfr

Dlss and dlaa the same time ?.are you sure ? They are exclusives one from the other 

Ah yes, I see what you're getting at. Whilst both were set as described then the Antialiasing dialog (set to DLAA) gets greyed out when you select an upscaling option other than 'Off'.

2 hours ago, daemon1808 said:

I had similar blurring/trailers with a 3090, Quest Pro, and using OpenXR if I had DLAA on with Sharpening at 0.6.  Leaving DLAA on but setting Sharpening at 0.0 seemed to get rid of the motion blurring and actually left things looking sharper than before.  Then again, I wasn't even running MSAA before so I'm just happy to get rid of much of the jaggedness.

3 hours ago, Mike145 said:

Can you say which troops you use, It might be that the generic DCS ones work but the ones Moders have done wont.  Just flew another mission where I pick up medics and a stretcher, they ran into the side of the UH1 and stopped.  I will make a basic mission and try the various troops.

Still very pleased overall.  I`m on steam and MT.

Aye, I am using the generic DCS troops. That is probably the difference.

Steam MT here as well and I agree, the new update is great. The new replay feature alone was worth the wait. It really opens up a lot of options for performance benchmark tests.

Ryzen7 5800X3D - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX - 64Gb 3600MHz DDR4 - RX 6950 XT - SoundBlaster -Z

4 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Noticed the same here too... maybe they withheld the best detailed models shown in the trailer due to performance considerations?

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5

6 hours ago, gerd said:

Gents, the 1-2 second stutters we have experienced in 2.9 are gone if I run the single-threaded version (from \bin folder), not the multithreaded one that is now the default (from \bin-mt).

I suffer stuttering both MT and ST. After cleanup and repair I have got still the same issue. No luck...

• Like 1