OH-6A by Tobsen and Eightball

Go to solution Solved by Neo47,

18 hours ago, tobi said:

Thank you so much for this really nice Helo, I will have a blast learning to not crash it 🙂

To have more flexibility with my mission making, I elected to separate the Pack on two individual Mods, I didn't modify any part of the Mod itself, just divided it using OvGME, like this:

4ddgfWp.jpg

Thanks you again, and congratulations on a very successful release 👍

Eduardo

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, MorgothNL said:

Ooh, how is the damage model ? 🙂

Damage model's working pretty well. If I'm the model. I've been trying on and off for hours but it won't land in my hangar for love nor money. All links are damaging my mental health :punch:

For a laugh, I tried to download it with an iPad. Worked first time somehow so I think it must be my PC doesn't like the links? Can't take it off an iPad so I'll keep banging away.

Edited by Slippa
DL
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, tobi said:

Hi, I am pretty sure that the mod cannot have impact on stuck controls.

The thing about the roll over: You need to counter that with the cyclic. You need left and aft  cyclic and left pedal to come to a hover. Try increasing collective slowly and feel where the aircraft wants to go.

Not to sound smart but I fly every other helo module and do fine with them so I understand the process you described. I certainly know nothing about the coding though and whether it would be reflected in the tuning screen just reporting what I see.  I see others reporting that the collective seems to be inducing an exaggerated roll as well.

Just to put my 2c in, I havent had a chance to fly it yet so take it with a grain of salt...but wouldnt you only need to counter the collective yaw only while unlevel ground? Wouldnt one normally have to counter collective with the cyclic during sloped ops?

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+/ AH64D grip/custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 + Odyssey Ark | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro
 My wallpaper and skins

5 hours ago, CommandT said:

Glad to see this finally being released! 

Regarding the flight model - is there any updates planned in this regard or is this the way it's going to be?

As much as I would love to do a million mission and videos with the OH-6, I have to say I don't think I can do anything until there's some changes to the flight model 😞 I've spent a long time playing around with curves and practicing and fine-tuning but it feels very odd and doesn't allow for precision flying. I appreciate that all helicopters are unstable but there's so much static instability here in pitch and roll (especially roll) that it really doesn't feel right. I haven't flown the real thing of course and am just an armchair enthusiast like everyone else, but the way it flies feels extremely odd. Centering the stick after inducing roll, results in that roll continuing way more than it should (I think, at least compared to other helicopters). I also noticed that changes in collective result in rather abrupt yaw changes - I understand that in principle this is correct but it seems rather abrupt and excessive.

I really appreciate all the work you've put in guys so I don't mean to be unthankful here - the assets pack is fantastic, the 3D model of the chopper and cockpit is fantastic... it's just that the flight model IMO sort of lets it down a bit. I get that this is a mod and it's never going to be like a full fidelity FM but I think many of us are totally happy to accept a somewhat "arcady" feeling FM, so long as it's flyable with some degree of precision. Maybe I'm the odd one out who can't fly it properly but I generally don't suck at flying stuff and I can't get any decent precision here due to the rather strange static instability in pitch and roll - mostly roll. The yaw is manageable I find, just a bit twitchy, but nothing that can't be overcome with some practice. With regards to the odd roll and pitch behaviors, I'm not so sure. Perhaps adjusting the static instability somewhat could be a good idea on your end? 

Again, no disrespect in any way. You guys are phenomenal and I'm sure there will be plenty of folk here who will be delighted with having an OH-6 in their virtual hangar! 

Thanks! 🙂

I agree with everything you have described and also can't imagine the amount of work that goes into these modules so am very appreciative but I tried everything and have not been successful in flying it more than a few  KM's before it get ugly.  If those of you that have figured it out would be kind enough to share some of your settings and adjustments it would be greatly appreciated.

28 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Just to put my 2c in, I havent had a chance to fly it yet so take it with a grain of salt...but wouldnt you only need to counter the collective yaw only while unlevel ground? Wouldnt one normally have to counter collective with the cyclic during sloped ops?

No you need to counter the "collective yaw" in every situation. And the tailrotor pushes you to side always so you have to counter that too.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, tobi said:

No you need to counter the "collective yaw" in every situation. And the tailrotor pushes you to side always so you have to counter that too.

Guess Ive been flying helis for so long that Ive forgot about the small things like that.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+/ AH64D grip/custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 + Odyssey Ark | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro
 My wallpaper and skins

Now we need a hero to give us a palm tree mod for Caucasus.

• Like 2

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

17 hours ago, KeyserSoze62 said:

Beautiful but man is it tough.  I've added large curves to all controls but can't seem to keep it from rolling over.  Try to get it gently into a hover and it just takes off forward or sideways and rolls over. Curious to see what others are adjusting to get a handle on it.

Edit:  There seems to be something off with the roll response.  In image below you can see the roll stays stuck right when releasing the cyclic back to center.  It takes a few jiggles to get it to re-center. I checked several other aircraft and this isn't happening with any other so it shouldn't be my hardware. All other helos are flying just fine. Its not happening in the pitch control or pedals.

I can take off just fine and it while a bit touchy it flies ok, BUT I also observed that "stickiness" of the roll response. It feels like sometimes the helicopter doesn't quite respond to the inputs given, like as if the cyclic stays deflected on the roll axis for half a second or more, but not at all times, which can make for a chaotic ride and makes any kind of precision flying quite hard.

Taking off, though, is OK, no issues there.

• Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)

Thank you so much for this, @tobi and @Eight Ball

I got a chance to mess around with your baby a little bit since launch.  I'll post a video for anyone interested.  Just want to express my gratitude for the passion and effort you have put into this mod -  I think it’s great.  I hope we have some SMEs in the community who can comment on flight characteristics and handling.  It flies much differently than the Huey and Apache that I am used to ... but then again, I'd expect it to. 

My HOTAS setup is a VKB Ultimate stick on a 200mm extension.  I dialed in 10% curves into the cyclic.  I was able to fly around and enjoy the bird a bit over the Marianas map.  For me, the FM feels like I figured it would.  I know there’s a lot of feedback on twitchiness – I’ve never flown in an OH-6 so I have no real grounds to base my opinion on other than the other DCS Helos I’m familiar with.  That being said, I don’t have a negative opinion on what you’ve released.

Where are the new ME assets located?  Are they statics?  Ground units?  Sea units?  Is there a list somewhere of what they are, where they are located in the ME and what they are called in the ME?

What a great launch, fellas.  Congrats.

• Like 2

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, VKB STECS Standard, Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

7 minutes ago, Mistermann said:

Where are the new ME assets located?  Are they statics?  Ground units?  Sea units?  Is there a list somewhere of what they are, where they are located in the ME and what they are called in the ME?

They are prefixed VAP (Vietnam Assets Pack), like this:

gzRHcUt.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks @Rudel_chw!  You seem to always have answers to my questions.  Thanks!!

• Like 2

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, VKB STECS Standard, Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

4 minutes ago, Mistermann said:

Thanks @Rudel_chw!  You seem to always have answers to my questions.  Thanks!!

You are welcome ... the Pack includes a bit of documentation in graphics format:

Vietnam Assets Pack (by Eight Ball)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Me and a mate flew today and I must say this is a good mod. It is still some weird stuff happening flying close to mountain ridges. And in my impression when in ground effect. Over ground effect I have no problem hoovering. But all this can be me not being a real chopper pilot. I am deeply impressed by this. 

• Like 1

Outstanding job gents on the OH-6.  She is a handful to get use to on takeoff.  I must admit, the video below was my first flight with her as well as the first time I have used a collective in DCS.  I just got the Virpil AH-64 hooked up and my mind is having time transitioning from forward on the throttle is increase altitude to down on the collective is decrease and up is increase. Hopefully after a few more flights things will start to look a little cleaner. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Collective throttle axis did not work for me. I had to use buttons. 

me too, the throttle is not working on my K-51 Collective either. 

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

3 minutes ago, Scarecrow84 said:

Anybody know how long?

24 hours is the google standard

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scarecrow84 said:

None of the download links are working for me...It says to check back later. Anybody know how long?

I received the same message earlier this morning.  I tried a few more times periodically throughout the day, and then was lucky to get a download going.  For me, it was about 4-6 hours from my first attempt. 

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Got it downloaded and installed.

Got it running and flying, but I cant assign any buttons to anything. When I click Add with cell in controller column selected, nothing happens. I could assign axes for stick, throttle, and rudder fine. Track Ir works too. I cant assign any buttons, though...no gui pops up when I click "add".

I can still change these assignments for other aircraft...

Thanks for help. It looks great otherwise.

Got it downloaded and installed.
Got it running and flying, but I cant assign any buttons to anything. When I click Add with cell in controller column selected, nothing happens. I could assign axes for stick, throttle, and rudder fine. Track Ir works too. I cant assign any buttons, though...no gui pops up when I click "add".
I can still change these assignments for other aircraft...
Thanks for help. It looks great otherwise.

Any mods?
Apart from this I mean?

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Any mods?
Apart from this I mean? emoji2361.png

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Several, and I would be ok with deleting any to get this one to work...the ah-6j, uh-60, and bell 47.

Think theres any chance I put some files in the wrong place?

edit: All my controls are Virpil. Some functions are assignable to stick/throttle buttons (dropping grenades, others). The cells that arent assignable will not outline in bright blue in order to click "Add". Very weird. Not being able to assign view buttons to my hardware really sucks.

image.png

Edited by Scarecrow84
  • Like 1