MiG-29A FF: capabilities and how will it fit into the (meta)game?

Go to solution Solved by Gierasimov,

48 minutes ago, some1 said:

Probably no mixing with more than 2 missile types, as the armament panel only allows selecting "outer rails first" or "inner rails first" when firing A2A missiles.

Yet we see ED's MiG-29 armed with 2x R-60, 2x R-73, 2x R-27:

image.png

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

12 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yet we see ED's MiG-29 armed with 2x R-60, 2x R-73, 2x R-27:

And on the previous videos we saw Ch-47 with the FLIR addon (now removed), or F-15E with Russian ELINT pod of all things.

Everything is subject to change.

• Like 5

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yeah I wouldn't take a promotional image for a WIP thing as gospel.

I guess this would also mean "goodbye R-27R + R-27T together" memes if we indeed can take only two types of AAM? 🙂

• Like 3

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Current FC 3 Fulcrum have adventage in 80-90's scenario over Hornet in kinetic performance and F-16 due having BVR capability that Viper dont have, F-15C is less popular LF module and Tomcat is real adversary, Fulcrum will be dengerous always, and in good hands very dengerous, biggest limitation will be fuel, not avionics, even if ED make radar modelling right, like difficulties of picking cold targets, or radar not being able to see 2 target when 2 planes fly close to each other, it still will be top of food chain, but again, afterburner time is very limited and extra skill Mig pilot will have to learn is gliding back to base 🙂 It's significantly less fuel than similar sized US jets, but also less fuel than Viggen or Mirage. My biggest concern is pricing of Mig and fact FC3 is in top 3 most popular modules, it will be hard sell for a lot of people who already own FC3 without some promo for FC3 owners, but it's another topic...

Edited by Ramius007

Funny of you to think pricing while there was no announcement of what's included in the module. It will be priced at full price that ED wants and lots of people will buy it at that price. I saw a comment form the the ED boss that there won't be any reductions for FC3 as these are two separate products. 

But you know... everything is subject to change. 🙂 Collects those ED miles while you can 🙂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, twistking said:

I can't follow. Can you elaborate on those "resons", please? Do you think it's possible to bounce datalink radio against the ionosphere with 80s radio tech?

Yes, thats exactly what I'm saying, because I've done it. I'm just not 100% sure if the Russian DL's actually worked like that or not, but from the specs on the radios its certainly a possibility.

10 hours ago, GGTharos said:

There is a list published by someone (you probably know this better than I do) listing the RCS' of various DCS aircraft.   You can probably do some reasonably easy math to determine the detection range according to the radar equation and that RCS 🙂

Certainly 3rd party modules have now gone beyond this and there is a probabilistic detection game happening.   FC3 does not have this, and I don't know if the ED FF birds do.

Yeah, I know the chart and it got posted, given that its the 4th root of RCS in the radar equation its likely why I never noticed cuz there is no actual difference between a 3m and 5m target worth noticing its like a few  %range wise. Anyhow the horse is now dead and we are now in the realm of sadonecroposting. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

13 hours ago, Mateo said:

In my opinion discount for FC3 users should be available - even 3 to 5 USD would be kind and attract current users to buy FF module.

We could have bought the MiG for $5 on sale before so I don't think it's that much of investment to have a life time bonus.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 3

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I don't see any need for a discount, but not many would turn it down.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I think discounts for two full fidelity versions of the same aircraft made by same developer is a good idea, somewhat necessary even in my opinion. However, not sure just a part of the FC3 warrants a discount on a full module. It would be nice gesture if ED decides to give a small discount perhaps, but I can't really say I see it as necessary to be honest.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

4 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Naturally - you're my evil twin, after all 😛

The way I understand the VVS/ Frontal Aviation role is that they all have at least a secondary air-ground role. In a way, the Fulcrum is just a Boomer's MiG-21. Which is awesome.

Ref the tandem 500kg bombs:

I'd like that loadout, just as much as I'd like possibly jury-rigged loadouts of the 9.12B-varaiant users. Remember, we'll have the maps to depict middle-eastern Fulcrums big time. So as slong as something doesn't require too much (classified) computer fiddling, I'm game.

Ref 9.13:

Didn't the 29S also have a flight-controls upgrade? I seem to remember they gave it 2° more AoA allowance for the AFCS-limiter. I also seem to remember (might be wrong, though) that the 9.12 had those retrofitted in the VVS. Again, that might be an mis-remembrance. Would be awesome to have that tick-box if it was a thing.

9.13 no, but yes for S upgrade. There is 9.12S also when you apply S upgrade to 9.12. A stock 9.13 is only different in humpback of fuel compared to 9.12.

A really doubt a 9.13S will be possible until maybe a MiG-29 2 upgrade in 5-10 years🤣

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

3 hours ago, some1 said:

or F-15E with Russian ELINT pod of all things

Ooooh I must have missed that! 😂

Anyway, I learned something new today. Thanks!

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

6 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Yes, thats exactly what I'm saying, because I've done it. I'm just not 100% sure if the Russian DL's actually worked like that or not, but from the specs on the radios its certainly a possibility.

I see. Would there be any other benefits of using HF in a rather short range fighter?
Did western aircraft keep using HF after VHF/UHF became widely used?

On 1/10/2024 at 10:21 PM, Harlikwin said:

...Also I'd have to go back and check but I don't think the jet did auto IFF like just happens in FC3, and given the various co-location problems you see with this on good IFF/radar models like the M2k and the F15E it will be interesting to see if ED models it and how.

No auto IFF on the real thing: manual button press, followed by up to 4 second ident period, but IFF in DCS sucks anyway.

• Like 1

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

Is it me or is the RL SPO on the MiGgy only capable of detecting missile launches from "Nike Hercules"?

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

4 hours ago, twistking said:

I see. Would there be any other benefits of using HF in a rather short range fighter?
Did western aircraft keep using HF after VHF/UHF became widely used?

Different propagation methods mostly. NVIS in particular.  Helos used it, the Apache in particular since its quite useful for non line of sight stuff. Not that this is at all modeled in DCS, wouldn't be hard to do tho.

2 hours ago, Pavlin_33 said:

No auto IFF on the real thing: manual button press, followed by up to 4 second ident period, but IFF in DCS sucks anyway.

Thanks for the clarification so I don't have to go dig it up out of a manual. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1 hour ago, Pavlin_33 said:

Is it me or is the RL SPO on the MiGgy only capable of detecting missile launches from "Nike Hercules"?

No? But some had a dedicated light for it with priority. But the whole threat database is programmable with cartridges 

• Like 2

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

2 hours ago, Pavlin_33 said:

no, SPO-15 is way more capable than that. But hawk and hercules were the major threats in Europe at the time. It had a programmable database. But just limited "lights". 

6 hours ago, Pavlin_33 said:

It's capable of detecting many more SAMs but, as said, it's programmable and it's categorized for the different lights on the Beryoza, grouped by the type and probably also similar search/track radars in band/frequency, so ex. for the "H" light it was usually "Nike Hercules", "Patriot" and "Talos" types.

We had that conversation already in this thread. Here you can find more info:

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I meant detecting launches, as in 2Hz flashing red light together with "beep-beep" sound.

I was not refering to the bottom row of lights that categorize the threat type.

23 hours ago, some1 said:

And on the previous videos we saw Ch-47 with the FLIR addon (now removed), or F-15E with Russian ELINT pod of all things.

Everything is subject to change.

...or the Mi-24P with B8 pods

6 hours ago, Avimimus said:

...or the Mi-24P with B8 pods

Which it loads and fires fine? 

As for SPO-15, I’ve heard things that if Nike is in area then it will use it as priority above all other emitters. But nothing about 2 hz launch tone

Edited by AeriaGloria