1.1 Copy Protection Update

1. Of course it's related and I shouldn't have to tell you why.

2. Can you provide me with the names of said titles? Give me the names so I may have an idea if those games are worth cracking.

At the end of the day you wind up without developer support if you use a cracked copy. Most of those pirated software don't work anyway the ratio is about 1 in 8 that work. Its better to buy the real deal and when you get patches at least they are effective. Now days software companies prevent piracy by a number of methods which only allow the one connection code access to the net from one disc. Another method is subscription which is common for Everquest and FinalFantasy where you have to pay per month to play. Either way if you pirated the cd you would still end up paying to play the game.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No wonder why I haven't seen any Dlink produced games. Try considering the possibility that the publisher may know the industry better.

Furthermore I will only answer exact technical questions about protection system.

Excellent response.

• ED Team

The first two monts after publishing a game are crucial for the companies. If it dont get cracked in this time, its great. Thats all StarForce wants. Almost all Starforce game arent cracked "instantly". Okay - almost as we have a very fresh example which shows its cracked instantly...

*EDIT*

I think ED will ask StarForce how a freshly released game could be cracked so fast...

Try considering the possibility that the publisher may know the industry better.

Heh... If I have to put up with something, then at least let me know why. Ok, you only explain technical questions, which is perfectly understandable. Now if you say I shouldn't care and just buy the game, because I should just trust the publisher, I have to disagree. Although I doubt that this is what you really wanted to say. I hope some magazine will write a good article about this issue. I haven't seen one yet.

I'll try my questions again...

1. How does ED implementation of Starforce effect those who rebuild their

current PC?

From what I can figure out, as soon as LockON:FC is installed the Starforce program checks in with the StarForce servers.

If code already exists and is the same.. allow game to continue.

So reinstalling windows really doesn't have an effect as long as the hardware is within the 40% allowable changes.

Please can you verify that this won't be a issue.

2. Is the software that is going to be installed on the machine going to run

all the time or load when LockON:FC is run?

thank you...

Thanks,

Brett

I'll try my questions again...

1. How does ED implementation of Starforce effect those who rebuild their

current PC?

From what I can figure out, as soon as LockON:FC is installed the Starforce program checks in with the StarForce servers.

If code already exists and is the same.. allow game to continue.

So reinstalling windows really doesn't have an effect as long as the hardware is within the 40% allowable changes.

Please can you verify that this won't be a issue.

thank you...

1. The way I understand it, you can reformat and install FC as many times as you like.

2. I think the answer is no it doesn't. And nothing is sent out either.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Can someone confirm that Starforce Copy Protection for v1.1 will only check that the software I have downloaded is being used on the original machine I installed it on?

I have another recently released software title and I'm having lockup's when SF checks the CD when the Copy Protection box pop's up.

Strange thing is, if I use the popup Menu when inserting the disc it's fine, if I use a shortcut, blamo !!! Have to cycle power.

thank you...

AFAIK, SF works as a Windows service do decrypt your Lock On executable. So this service runs every time you boot your computer, even if you don't play the game. Now when you start Lock On, the SF service decrypts your executable and the game starts.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Almost all the information you want is on the Star Force site: http://www.star-force.com/index.phtml?category=48&type=5

IMO very well explained.

AFAIK, SF works as a Windows service do decrypt your Lock On executable. So this service runs every time you boot your computer, even if you don't play the game. Now when you start Lock On, the SF service decrypts your executable and the game starts.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Almost all the information you want is on the Star Force site: http://www.star-force.com/index.phtml?category=48&type=5

IMO very well explained.

But SF has different products with different functions.

Gamespot has a post on Copy Protection in games nowadays that forcibly disable software on people's machines:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/burningquestions/index.html?tag=boxcar_all_features_headline

"Personally, I'm not against the notion of copy protection, but how it exists in its current form is rather ridiculous. I can't stand the notion that a game that I bought actually won't run just because I have CD-burning software on my machine. Besides, it's not like there aren't ways to get around that stuff, so how effective can it really be? Is it really worth alienating those law-abiding citizens who just happen to have CD-burning software on their machine but who have no intention of burning your games? I have to believe that there are better ways of copy-protecting games. This does seem like a totally cheap and dirty solution. So, yeah, I guess I hate it too, to answer your question. Thanks for writing! "

I've gotta let ED and all the rest of you know that:

THERE IS NO PROTECTION SYSTEM THAT WORKS NOW OR EVER WILL.

Case in point: Silent Hunter III was just released {03.15.05} with the latest Starforce {STARFAKE as it should be called} version of protection .........

IT IS CRACKED AND FLOATING AROUND THE WWW NOW!!!!!!!

The only people reporting problems with the so-called protection scheme are the one's who actually brought it.

Paying customers = Headachs

Illegal users = No Problems

So, to ED and other publishers who spend thousands on protection schemes ..... Save your money, its NOT WORKING.

Guest ruggbutt

I have an alarm on my vehicle and I always lock the doors and take my keys with me. Do you think that it's impossible to steal it? It just makes it more difficult to rip off. Copy protection is no different. The fact is that those who write the software have the right to add copy protection if they decide to do so. Just as it's your choice on whether or not if you'd like to buy their product.

I bought SH3 and SF is giving me no problems. Then again I keep all my hardware updated so I don't have the same issues as some that have older CD/DVD drives, etc.

Guest Dlink
I have an alarm on my vehicle and I always lock the doors and take my keys with me. Do you think that it's impossible to steal it? It just makes it more difficult to rip off. Copy protection is no different. The fact is that those who write the software have the right to add copy protection if they decide to do so. Just as it's your choice on whether or not if you'd like to buy their product.

I bought SH3 and SF is giving me no problems. Then again I keep all my hardware updated so I don't have the same issues as some that have older CD/DVD drives, etc.

It has been proven time and time again that copy protection does not make it more difficult to download software. A fair number of games are cracks and avail long before they even hit retail.

guys look at splintercell chaos theory. They are using STARFORCE latest version for the PC. NO ONE has yet cracked the game. FC will be using an even tougher version of this *I think* so ITS WORTH IT THAT FC IS PROTECTED BY STARFORCE.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Witchking, are you taking any wagers.

SC:CT, came out this week and I'm willing to bet, it will be on t0rrent sites by the end of the month.

I'm glad I don't make a living in the game industry or any other software dev. company. Asia, Russia, Germany, UK, USA, it doesn't matter what country you're in, its a HUGE, HUGE problem.

And, sadly, its only going to get worst.

Well... Regarding SC:CT... It's already on p2p... Haven't downloaded it (and have no intention to), but its there... Might be cracked, might not be, but most probably is IMHO...

For EVERY system there is always a hack... It's as simple as that... There are always holes in the code, pluggin all of them in is simply impossible...

However there are these people that download these gasmes from p2p, and there are these who buy it. Choice is up to you... Protection systems, like starforce are there to make it harder to rip the games as someone already said (I like the car alarm analogy)

The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.

For EVERY system there is always a hack... It's as simple as that... There are always holes in the code, pluggin all of them in is simply impossible...

I don't think it's that simple.

It all depends on what we, as the people, think about this and what we think those in charge should decide. There's always one way to "hack" a system and that is by force. You could always forbid pgp/gpg and just put everyone into jail who uses it. Same with CP. It depends on what our society will decide. There could just be a law forbidding any p2p networks.

Somehow, you get the impression today that it's all about technical progress. IMO, this isn't true. Technical progress is just used to fight inside the limits of a system. In reality, it all comes down to what our society allows and won't allow.

If DRM, TCPA, DMCA is accepted by the customer and new laws are passed you will have a safe CP in no time. Maybe after a few technical fights, but it won't be hard to achieve. The question is, what is will it cost?

This is not like a car alarm...its like a car alarm controlled by the dealer, that only lets me drive if they think its ok, and they dont think I changed my clothes too much, OR that any of the stuff I have in my house is 'undesirable'.

Starforce is 100% effective....at keeping me from supporting this release, I own Flanker, Flanker 2.0 and Lomac....I will not purchase Flaming Cliffs becaues of this poor decision the developer/publisher have made to persecute the people that support them with draconian, invasive protection and activation schemes. The pirates will still pirate the game...so just what does this accomplish?

****Galactic Civilizations, two years after its initial release and it still sells over 100,000 units per year.....with ZERO COPY PROTECTION

guys look at splintercell chaos theory. They are using STARFORCE latest version for the PC. NO ONE has yet cracked the game. FC will be using an even tougher version of this *I think* so ITS WORTH IT THAT FC IS PROTECTED BY STARFORCE.

BUT IT IS CRAP. THEY TOLD US 40% HARDWARE CHANGE AND THAT WAS A LIE

Funny thing just happened to me.

I joined HL to test 1.1 - everything worked fine btw except I couldn't start my 25t with my HOTAS. I'm re-doing my config and RTFM now, but, when I got back to the HL lobby, there was all that chatter about how SF fries mobos, kills small children and such.

I won't memtion any names, but the 'speakers' were the same ones that are most vocal in our forums about their vehement distaste for this, as they termed it, 'trojan' called StarForce.

What really made me leave is the fact that the biggest mouth there, and also one of the loudest in the forums that I've seen that opposes SF had the gall to ask me, and I quote, "you got the crack already?".

He's just sitting around wainting for someone to let him steal the software, meanwhile spreading all the rumors he's ever heard of how StarForce is the cause of global warming. I almost feel like naming the bastige directly, for insulting me like that, but I won't.

Anywho, hats off to the folks at ED for such a great update to this sim. So far I am loving it!

Slam

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000