OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Out Now!

• ED Team

header.png

07 June 2024

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends

We are delighted to announce the highly anticipated release of the DCS: OH-58D Kiowa Warrior by Polychop Simulations for DCS. This iconic helicopter guarantees an exceptional and highly accurate experience for both veteran and novice pilots. 

The OH-58D Kiowa Warrior is a versatile armed reconnaissance helicopter that has served in various military conflicts around the globe. Known for its agility, advanced surveillance capabilities, and firepower, the OH-58D has been a vital asset in recon and light attack missions. Watch the trailer!

Join our community of aviation enthusiasts and pilots! Share your experiences, ask questions and participate in discussions about the OH-58D on our official forums and on social media channels. Your feedback is invaluable to us, and we look forward to the amazing content you create with this new module. 

Thank you for your passion and support.

Yours sincerely, 

Eagle Dynamics

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Now Available as Mission Ready

Hero1.png

Experience the ultimate in rotary-wing aviation with the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior for DCS. This meticulously crafted simulation brings the legendary reconnaissance and light attack helicopter to life with unparalleled accuracy and detail. Fly low through challenging terrains, utilizing the Kiowa Warrior’s advanced sensor suites, and weaponry to dominate the battlefield.  With its authentic flight dynamics, interactive cockpits and realistic missions scenarios, the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior offers a deeply immersive experience for both seasoned pilots and newcomers alike. Whether you’re conducting reconnaissance missions or providing aerial support to ground units, the Kiowa Warrior delivers a truly thrilling tactical combat experience.

Step into the cockpit of the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior alone or in Multi Crew with a friend to share the adventure. The module features a highly detailed 3D model, complete with fully configured avionics, MFDs, and a working Mast-Mounted Sight. Utilise the Level 2 Manned-Unmanned System to view aerial drone footage, or scan the battlefield using the sensors of other Kiowa Warriors. Share targets with the Improved Data Modem or call in Remote Hellfire Missions with other Kiowa pilots to coordinate attacks. With a wide range of weaponry available including AGM-114K Hellfires, FIM-92 air-to-air Stinger missiles and laser-guided rockets, the Kiowa Warrior is prepared for any engagement. 

Hero2.png

The OH-58D first flew in 1983 and was the result of the Army Helicopter Improvement Program as a single engine, four-bladed light weight helicopter. The Kiowa Warrior introduced the distinctive Mast-Mounted Sight (MMS) above the main rotor, and a mixed glass cockpit with traditional instruments and as such was the first helicopter equipped with MFDs.

While the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior thrives in its reconnaissance role, making full use of its MMS and the Level 2 Manned-Unmanned System (L2MUM), in more recent conflicts it played a pivotal role not only in gathering critical intelligence but also in actively supporting ground troops through precision strikes on enemy positions, illustrating its adaptability and effectiveness in both reconnaissance and offensive missions. 

Armed with a vast array of weapons including the AGM-114 Hellfire missiles, a .50 caliber FN M3P machine gun, FIN-92 air-to-air Stinger missiles and a large selection of rocket types including laser guided Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS), the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior is capable of fulfilling a meaningful role by itself or by supporting other assets in DCS. 

Kiowa Warriors serving in the US Army took part in a number of operations including:

• Operation Prime Chance 1988
  • Operation Just Cause 1989
  • Desert Storm 1991
  • RAID 1989 - 1994
  • Peace Implementation Forces (IFOR) 1995 - 1996
  • Operation Enduring Freedom
  • Operation Iraqi Freedom

The US Army retired the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior in 2017 having accumulated over 800,000 combat hours. It continues to serve with the armed forces of Croatia, Greece, Taiwan and Tunisia to this day.

Key Features of the DCS: OH58D Kiowa Warrior

• Realistic hand crafted flight model with high precision characteristics of this light helicopter in all ranges of altitude, temperatures and speeds for different weights, flight configurations and conditions.
  • Highly detailed fully clickable glass cockpit with full VR support
  • Can be flown single-player or in multi-crew with a friend
  • Voiced pilot AI assistant
  • Fully modeled armament and weapons systems, including the M3P machine gun, 2,75” rockets, AGM-114K Hellfire anti tank guided missile with four firing modes, APKWS laser-guided rockets, FIM-92 Air-To-Air Stinger system and the handheld M4 rifle with 6DOF functionality when used with VR hand controllers
  • Detailed modeling of the entire electrical, fuel, hydraulic, pneumatic, SCAS and radio systems
  • Full range of sensors and aircraft survivability systems including the Mast Mounted Sight with TV and FLIR cameras, Laser Rangefinder/Designator system, AN/APR-39 Radar Detector, AN/ALQ-144 IR Jammer, AN/AVR-2 Laser Detector, AN/AAR-57 Common Missile Warning System and Flare & Chaff Dispenser
  • Rotorcraft Map System with moving map, digital elevation map, real-time display of navigation and target data
  • Improved Data Modem that allows for Kiowa-to-Kiowa text messaging, target sharing and Remote Hellfire Missions
  • Level 2 Manned-Unmanned System with its capability to display the video feed from a drone sensor or the camera feed of another player OH-58D Kiowa Warrior aircraft
  • Full Night-Vision support with the helmet mounted Optical Display Assembly and gun-mounted IZLID laser pointer
  • Data Cartridge for storing and loading mission data in a web-compatible format
  • Advanced damage modeling and failures for aircraft systems and components
  • Optional Pilot Display Unit heads up display
  • Over 60 liveries including various US Army, Croatian, Greek, Taiwanese and Tunisian units as well as a number of fictional liveries from around the world

The DCS: OH-58D Kiowa Warrior is now available for you to download. Enjoy!

Thank you again for your passion and support, 

Yours sincerely,

footer.png 

• Like 8

I guess if KW hadn't dropped, there'd be no news at all this week.

This is a good year for DCS, all things considered, and we're right in middle of a heavy release cycle between kola/F4/KW/Chinook/Afghanistan and who knows what else, if anything...yet somehow the weekly newsletters keep getting lighter, with less content per week 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I'm curious what comes after the Chinnock and Afghanistan.

Don't get me wrong even if no new modules come this year.  It's still a very good year.

Only possible candidates I know of that might be close enough for release  this year is the F4U Corsair (but i doubt it) and the La-7, possibly the C130?

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

1 hour ago, ngreenaway said:

I guess if KW hadn't dropped, there'd be no news at all this week.

This is a good year for DCS, all things considered, and we're right in middle of a heavy release cycle between kola/F4/KW/Chinook/Afghanistan and who knows what else, if anything...yet somehow the weekly newsletters keep getting lighter, with less content per week 

That's been true ever since they started getting severely punished for putting actual news in newsletters.  Since then they mostly recap what already happened this week, or add something with no discernible deliverable, and I can't blame them even if I'm not fond of the change.

• Like 5

So I may be a little late, but I've had a hell of a lot of work this week. Okay, so I just bought the OH-58D and did a few laps with it. I can only say one thing, folks, in case you're wondering whether you should buy this heli, do it. Don't hesitate. Not only is the Kiowa incredibly fun, everything about this module is just great. So, a clear recommendation to buy for anyone who is still thinking about it. Do it, you definitely won't regret it. ED is currently churning out the modules like there's no tomorrow. Good. I wish it would continue like this forever. As much as I want the Razbam thing to be sorted out, we just can't forget that summer 2024 is absolutely glorious for DCS. Thanks ED and a big fat thank you to the 3rd party developers who are really delivering right now. Big thumbs up - I am happy!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yea, the KW was definitely worth the wait 

• Like 1

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

14 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Don't get me wrong even if no new modules come this year.

Iraq is also planned for this year.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

Iraq is also planned for this year.

That's true, forget it was planned for this year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I remember seeing these parked next to where we parked our CH-53E helicopters in the gulf war. They were tiny, I noticed you would not need the heavy slings and gear to work on these like we had to have on the 53. The intermediate gearbox was so small I could have taken it off with just my hands, which means a bullet will take it out. I got to talk to one of the pilots who was flying night time recon and he said they flew 60x60: 60 knots at 60 feet off the ground. It was like a sports car.

Edited by tusler
  • Like 1

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Strike eagle customers look on, arms folded, unimpressed. 

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

13 hours ago, coolts said:

Strike eagle customers look on, arms folded, unimpressed. 

I figured they'd be on the fainting couch.

• Like 2

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Am 7.6.2024 um 19:02 schrieb ngreenaway:

This is a good year for DCS, all things considered

I dont feel that way at all. Sure, some of the releases are amazing, like the F-4E is actually god tier. I think Kola is great if it keeps getting worked on.

But what do early access releases matter, when we dont know if they get finished? Or if they are finished, maintained so we can keep them flying? I dont want to spend 30-60 bucks just to hope the devs stay mature and dont butt heads.

On 6/7/2024 at 7:59 PM, Gunfreak said:

Don't get me wrong even if no new modules come this year.  It's still a very good year.

Yes with the just released modules and what's to drop this month there's already plenty to keep me busy:
Despite the brilliance of the F-4, which I have only dabbled into, I already reconfigured my simpit for the KW and Chinook because *HELICOPTERS* !!!

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS graphics settings

44 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yes with the just released modules and what's to drop this month there's already plenty to keep me busy:
Despite the brilliance of the F-4, which I have only dabbled into, I already reconfigured my simpit for the KW and Chinook because *HELICOPTERS* !!!

Yeah last year we got 3 new toys. 2 maps and 1 aircraft.

Of these 1 map has not gotten any updates since release, and well the F15 has it's own drama.

In the span of 2 months this year. We will get 2 maps and 3 aircraft. 

Gowron1.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Temetre said:

I dont feel that way at all. Sure, some of the releases are amazing, like the F-4E is actually god tier. I think Kola is great if it keeps getting worked on.

you do you. im happy with things

its not hard to find things that miss the mark, but its also not hard to find things that're truly enjoyable

• Like 3

System:

On 6/7/2024 at 12:59 PM, Gunfreak said:

I'm curious what comes after the Chinnock and Afghanistan.

FPS, if we're lucky.  Then maybe there would be an actual GAME to play.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 10:53 AM, Gunfreak said:

Yeah last year we got 3 new toys. 2 maps and 1 aircraft.

Of these 1 map has not gotten any updates since release, and well the F15 has it's own drama.

In the span of 2 months this year. We will get 2 maps and 3 aircraft. 

Gowron1.jpg

He was thought to be a Shape Shifter, like ODO.

• Like 1

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Am 9.6.2024 um 22:34 schrieb ngreenaway:

you do you. im happy with things

its not hard to find things that miss the mark, but its also not hard to find things that're truly enjoyable

Sure, and Im truly enjoying the F-4E right now. The trouble didnt stop me.

But I also think its not hard to find things that miss the mark, when its "marks" like ED/RB right now completely undermining the business models of the entire platform.

Because, for example, if the next updates cause the RB modules to degrade - and updates on the scale of multithreading will wreck them - then that will absolutely stop people from enjoying Razbam modules.

Theres other things than DCS to enjoy, but I think it would be a shame if DCS - and the flight sim community - take a hit as a whole.

Edited by Temetre

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but, are there any updates at all on aircraft AI progress? Especially in terms of flight model and how they fly in formation ect? @BIGNEWY I feel like it's been years since we've seen a snippet of those wingman MiG-29s flying in formation with a human lead doing formation aerobatics. 

Thanks 🙂 

While I haven’t had as much time on the Kiowa, I have enjoyed what I have seen so far. In regard to the completeness of the module, I was impressed as well. Nice job getting it out despite all of challenges and delivering the product.