Remove Start of Mission Zoom Effect + Track IR

docfu

I also dislike this annoying feature.

We talked about it many times in the past in forums and the option to remove it somehow but nothing changed.

I just hope one day ED to eliminate it.

Anyway I can live with it!

Edited by sotosev

System specs below

Case - Antec Three Hundred

PSU - Corsair AX750watt

Board - MSI Z170A GAMING PRO

CPU - Intel i5 6600K 3900MHz

Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus

Memory - Kingston HYPERX 16G DDR4 2400Mhz CL15

Graphics - MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 GAMING 4G

SSD - Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2 NVMe

Monitor - Philips 277E 27" 1920x1080 60Hz

OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit

Flight Controllers - Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG, Saitek COMBAT RUDDER PEDALS, TrackIR 4, Track Clip Pro

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with this "workaround", it still takes seconds until you can use the zoom axis!

In a cold cockpit I want to immediately(!) zoom in on the panel with that first button to press/switch... Especially when scrambling!

And I agree with the majority posting here, I can't see any " reason" why this takes seconds and can't be done before unpausing the game, if it can't be deactivated/removed at all?

Trust me,it works just as you describe.I can zoom in and out instantly upon entering the plane which is always zoomed out to my max setting already.The only problem is that this removes the ability to zoom further out then the 90FOV of which I set it to.All in all I feel this polishes the sim for me as its immersion breaking for me to enter a sim and have to adjust zoom in and out to get it where I like and then at times it zooms to far out and really breaks immersion for me.Hopefully the Rift will be a salvation for this.

EDIT....just realized you have zoom on an axis and your correct it does not register for awhile.

Edited by wolfstriked

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

• 1 month later...

as others have stated, would be great if this is was converted to a toggle on/off feature.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

This literally irritates the life out of me, especially on the Hawk Dogfight instant action mission ED please eradicate this annoyance!

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I see that there is a lot of the pilots whom this meaningless function at the beginning of the mission annoying. Please the creator to remove the weird zoom function thank. Pet

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

This feature is made of the different screen resolutions. To properly expose the camera to the start of the mission.

Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 /i9-12900KF /64 Gb- G.SKILL Trident  DDR4 4000 МГц / Palit GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GameRock 8GB /Corsair HX1200 1200W 

DCS A-10C Обучающий урок "Концепция HOTAS" (RU)

DCS P-51D Руководство пилота

Обучающие миссии для Ми-8 (Радиооборудование)

As far annoying the feature is, there is a fix which involves editing server.lua and snapviews.lua (stored in user folder) as described Shagrat. You can also grab files from this thread - though still I would suggest to get some basic understanding of how those files work and how to edit them. If everything is done correctly the change is "green" from IC perspective, nor JGSME is required as the original files are not overwritten.

It's not a perfect solution as it comes with a cost of not being able to zoom out, so in a way it's a workaround but IMO it's all worth it. At least personally I don't find zoom-out needed so much (if at all). The positive fact is that setting max allowed zoom out value to default FOV allows for more precise zoom-in control.

It would be great to have this feature build in into game options but on the other hand if it's so annoying I guess it's worth spending those few minutes on editing the files. Personally I did the configuration long time ago and forgot about the annoying zoom out effect when entering the cokpit.

Otherwise I would assume that if editing the files seams too much probably the zoom out it not such a big problem.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

My point of view is that if an issue is annoying for so many people, it's probably worth fixing / changing - I yet have to understand how it could be useful, the fact it's "made of (for?) different resolutions" make no sense to me, though I'm sure there IS an actual reason behind this ;)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Alright, time for a comment.

First off: I do not like this feature. I can easily live with it and this is not an issue that kill sthe game, but it certainly is an annoyance.

Now.

The playerbase of any game, sim or otherwise has a wide variety of different hardware configurations including displays of varying sizes, aspect ratios, resolutions and a host of different ways to look around a control views.

Also every single player has their own preference on performance vs visuals, their preferred field of view and wether or not they want to zoom in and out for different tasks or not.

By forcing this feature upon us, firstly, as stated, we have to fiddle around with controls to get going. This is especially problematic in instant action dogfights where you lose valuable time of the fight waiting for the zoom to settle or otherwise tapping controls. Secondly, the end result of the zoomout will not serve most players because of different hardware and software setups and personal preferences.

"This is a sim, expect to be fiddling with luas" just seems an excuse. The developer has done a poor job on a feature if most players need to go fiddle around in luas or ini files or anything of the sort. And if have view controls in the game, why have the zoomout in the first place?

More options is key to giving more players the ability to enjoy a game. I do not understand why some of you think more options is a bad thing? DCS graphics options are mediocre at best, and the only overwhelming options tab is the controls menu. You honestly believe more options spoils your simulator? You are flying fully modeled military jets are you not? Surely that is way more complex than seeing an FOV slider in the options menu?

Speaking of which. The only way for ED to cater to as many users is to stop forcing the zoomout/default field of view, and providing users with the tools to set their own... without a hassle. That is what the options menu is for. Having the ABILITY to go and tweak luas and other files is a good thing and allowes awesome mods and custom setups, but having that as a requirement to enjoy the game (exaggeration here!) is not good design practice on any software.

Also. Please explain why this would be difficult to fix? It already is for the Vive and the Rift. The fov is stable from the start.

Finally. I am at a loss when any one points out fixing this issue breaks other features. It is a forced transition from one fov setting to another, calculated with the display aspect ratio/resolution in use. That is most likely literally one line of code, and I very much doubt a forced zoom breaks a game. It is a rendering issue and does not have anything to do with in game logic. And if it does, and I am in fact wrong, please show me. We have already moved away from the age of locking game speed to framerates, so why would a zoom break DCS? Unless it was coded in very poorly. If it does break the game, then how come our manual zoom does not.

And before someone points a finger: yes, I do infact understand programming and have done some myself. That said I would very much like to see how this is actually coded in. And just to make things clear: hard coding something does not mean it can't be changed. On the contrary, it can be. Very easily. It is called "coding".

Again, this does NOT mean the issue to be such a game breaker that it needed to be addressed here and now at the expense of a plethora of actual bugs, missing or broken features and new modules.

I only wanted to provide for an actual reasoning for this since there seemed not to be any other than personal distaste.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Edited by MikeMikeJuliet
Spelling and to add some final words.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

• 6 months later...