Remove Start of Mission Zoom Effect + Track IR

docfu

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't like it either. A waste of time, rather.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

It is an intended feature to cater for all. An inconvenience for TrackIr users, yes. Inconvenience does not however outweigh the benefit afforded to others who do not have TrackIr and for which the feature benefits.

So what about making it optional?

I7-9700K -- 32GB RAM -- RTX 4070 -- Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle + WarBRD Base -- Thrustmaster TPR -- Quest 3 

I think this is something thats buried so deep in the code, that removing it or 'fixing' it could potentially break a hundred different other things :)

All kidding aside, you guys are making an elephant out of a fly, it's literally one key-press after the annoying zoom-out to go back to regular zoom. With the amount of actual bugs still present in 1.5. this wishlist item has got to be very, very low priority.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You can block this feature by hard locking your FOV. This means the minimum FOV and maximum FOV are the same, but this will prevent any zooming as the FOV can't be changed (as it's locked, obviously).

You don't need o lock your FOV... it's locked for few seconds by this "feature" anyway :)

To escape this "feature" you have two options you can mix also.

1. At the start of the mission in the very first second you entered the cockpit press Numpad / or Numpad * to initiate a quick manual zoom. This will stop the animation instantly!

2. You edit you server.lua and snapviews.lua from C:\Users\Your Name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View\ and each view.lua file for each new module so the maximum FOV for zoom (the lines that look like this: CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,95.000000}, the last number... 95.000000 in example) and the default zoom ( [13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 95.000000, ) are the same.

The line

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,95.000000},

is found in Server.lua fo older modules

and the line(s)

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 70.000000,

are found in snapviews.lua and you need to find the number 13 snapview for the corresponding pilot seat (for planes with multiple seats)

This second option will effectively stop the animation even if you don't press zoom keys as per number 1 option. Because he animation is made somehow between default zoom level (from snap 13) to maximum zoom allowed (from CameraViewAngleLimits)... if they coincide the animation is static... thus disabled.

However

2 other things

While the animation is not seen is no actually stopped... so for the time it would run invisible you can't use zoom on axis! This creates a small anxiety moment... like the animation itself only smaller.

The number 2 option has also the benefit of removing the unnatural huge FOV (if you set it around 90) that is set default in DCS W and for people using zoom on axis it will make the max zoom out correspond to default zoom so it will be easier to "find it".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

All kidding aside, you guys are making an elephant out of a fly, it's literally one key-press after the annoying zoom-out to go back to regular zoom. With the amount of actual bugs still present in 1.5. this wishlist item has got to be very, very low priority.

That's unfortunately the kind of reasoning that prevents annoying bugs like this one ever to be solved... Adding features is nice, I agree with you, and I'm all for priorities. But normally you take the bug age into consideration in the priority. And I think this one is mature enough :)

And seeing the number of people in the range from "annoyed" to "hating this bug" because they have seen it every single time they started a session for the 3-4 last years, it's probably worth solving it. I doubt it'll take long.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Did I mention any new features? No Im talking about old bugs and new. There are tons, and many are much more annoying than this one. Things like the forever messed up ATC, broken scripting issues & campaigns, broken AI, no proper GCI, etc. etc. things that can't be worked around with a single keypress...

I'm also not really sure that the developers even consider it a bug. Have you submitted a bug report and had a reply?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Hello,

for me it was clearly a bug not a feature. i did a post in the german section. it comes out it was my saitek software from the stick, just use it without the profile software and de bug should be solved

Trust me. It wasn't just your stick. This has been happening since the A-10C was released four and a half years ago.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah that zooming out has always seems like been happening for me, a little annoying but really it takes me just a moment to zoom back in where I want to be.

I guess it would be nice if it did not do that, but have been pretty much used to it and do not consider it a big deal really.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The bug is 100% reproducible: Saitek profile management software + Track ir + dcs = Problem with zoom

Track Ir + DCS + without saitek software even running = no problem at all.

i can reproduce this bug on my install everytime

SFMBE

The bug is 100% reproducible: Saitek profile management software + Track ir + dcs = Problem with zoom

Track Ir + DCS + without saitek software even running = no problem at all.

i can reproduce this bug on my install everytime

I don't have any Saitek and it happens. I don't think it's a Saitek thing as it happens to everyone.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Yeah that zooming out has always seems like been happening for me, a little annoying but really it takes me just a moment to zoom back in where I want to be.

I guess it would be nice if it did not do that, but have been pretty much used to it and do not consider it a big deal really.

Ditto

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I don't have any Saitek and it happens. I don't think it's a Saitek thing as it happens to everyone.

no its more like a Controler software problem in combination with track ir.

i playd for weeks now without this bug, and i can turn on the software and immediately get the bug.

saitek software and dcs without track ir works also for me. So on my install there are 2 options who can cause the failure. Track ir, and saitek profile software.

turning off one of them works for me

SFMBE

no its more like a Controler software problem in combination with track ir.

i playd for weeks now without this bug, and i can turn on the software and immediately get the bug.

saitek software and dcs without track ir works also for me. So on my install there are 2 options who can cause the failure. Track ir, and saitek profile software.

Whaaw, with all due respect I think that you are talking about something unrelated to what this thread is about.

I agree this is annoying and useless! ...and yes, it is a "feature" since DCS: A-10C Beta 1 and it is not related to any controller, controller software etc.

When you spawn into the cockpit the view slowly zooms out! It is intended as a "nice visual effect", yet it causes problems with centering and calibrating TrackIR.

You need to wait until the view is zoomed out before you can calibrate the distance and zoom for TrackIR...

It would make a whole lot of people happy to disable or remove this "feature" and have virtually no negative effect on others.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I know the way to get rid of the zoom fellas and its real easy.I say rather easy but a bitch since you need to change each plane to FOV you like.You need to set a defaut FOV in server.lau and then set the default view in each plane to match and when you first get into the game it will be set to this fov as default.

Go into DCSWWorld/config/view folder

Open server.lua and near the top of page find-----------------

function default_fighter_player(t)

local res = {

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,140.000000},

I have my cameraviewangle limits set to {30.000000,90.000000},

Then go into SnapViewsDefault.lua and find the plane you want.For example I wanna change the A10C so I scroll down till I find SnapViews["A-10C"]

Then scroll down to the last setting for the A10c which for every plane is 13.Then change default fov to match the default you set in server.lua and done.

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 90.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -23.000000,

x_trans = 0.360000,

y_trans = -0.041337,

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

Did I mention any new features? No Im talking about old bugs and new.

"With the amount of actual bugs still present in 1.5"

This is very much pre-1.5 ;)

There might be priorities due to new features, since going on developing new ones when there are remaining bugs implicitly grants them higher priority, but at some point it's good practice to take stock and clean-up the backlog. Fail to do so and your product gives the impression of being unfinished and somewhat messy, I've known that in big projects before and to be honest, it was a little bit the impression I got when I started DCS. It is impressive, great and enjoyable, and users most probably get used to working around bugs and issues, but it has quite some rough edges.

I'm also not really sure that the developers even consider it a bug. Have you submitted a bug report and had a reply?

No, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything first, in case it was solved and I missed it, or in case someone came up with a work-around. I'd rather submit game-breaking bugs, there I agree with you of course. It was not the proper word, it's not a bug per se.

There seems to be a lead or two to test. Otherwise, at worst it will unburry this "wish" at least, to avoid calling it a bug - since there was some justification for this behaviour earlier in this thread, though it's not clear to me, and obviously to pretty much anyone.

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

By the way, this is most definitely a "Feature", as in, it is an intended function. Now, that is not to say it is a welcome one.

To be honest I don't even notice it now. I simply tap "Zoom in" and the "Zoom normal" in quick succession in a fraction of a second every time I enter the cockpit. No need for it to wait to zoom al the way out.

Nate

I agree this is annoying and useless! ...

When you spawn into the cockpit the view slowly zooms out! It is intended as a "nice visual effect", yet it causes problems with centering and calibrating TrackIR.

You need to wait until the view is zoomed out before you can calibrate the distance and zoom for TrackIR...

It would make a whole lot of people happy to disable or remove this "feature" and have virtually no negative effect on others.

It gets on my nerves since 5 years

thanks all for remembering me this "great feature" :doh:

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

I know the way to get rid of the zoom fellas and its real easy.I say rather easy but a bitch since you need to change each plane to FOV you like.You need to set a defaut FOV in server.lau and then set the default view in each plane to match and when you first get into the game it will be set to this fov as default.

Go into DCSWWorld/config/view folder

Open server.lua and near the top of page find-----------------

function default_fighter_player(t)

local res = {

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,140.000000},

I have my cameraviewangle limits set to {30.000000,90.000000},

Then go into SnapViewsDefault.lua and find the plane you want.For example I wanna change the A10C so I scroll down till I find SnapViews["A-10C"]

Then scroll down to the last setting for the A10c which for every plane is 13.Then change default fov to match the default you set in server.lua and done.

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 90.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -23.000000,

x_trans = 0.360000,

y_trans = -0.041337,

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

The problem with this "workaround", it still takes seconds until you can use the zoom axis!

In a cold cockpit I want to immediately(!) zoom in on the panel with that first button to press/switch... Especially when scrambling!

And I agree with the majority posting here, I can't see any " reason" why this takes seconds and can't be done before unpausing the game, if it can't be deactivated/removed at all?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)