Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question for you. Is your primary monitor 75Hz capable?

My monitor is a 120hz nividia 3d ready one. I forget the exact model but when I get home will post it. Native res is the same as the rift.

I run in extended mode.

I only upgraded this week from a gtx570 and low value cpu. I had serious judders with that even with full low settings. The difference is remarkable.

I'll be posting videos hopefully next week.

Smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

My monitor is a 120hz nividia 3d ready one. I forget the exact model but when I get home will post it. Native res is the same as the rift.

I run in extended mode.

I only upgraded this week from a gtx570 and low value cpu. I had serious judders with that even with full low settings. The difference is remarkable.

I'll be posting videos hopefully next week.

Smirkza

Thanks. I have the GTX 680, but just upgraded to 980. I tend to upgrade every two or three years. Once the MoBo shows up, I'll pop in the I7-4790K, GTX 980 and see what the difference is.

TY,

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

i hope there are more rift videos once DCS World 2.0 comes out. there are tons of assetto corsa and elite dangerous videos.. but where are the rift videos for DCS!!! im dying to see more in game pilot body rift view along side real life setup demos. so far i like videos from mdbuehler channel. (soooo annoying to watch the videos from GamerMuscleVideos)

Enjoy.

If someone else is desperately looking for fps, I've just used 1280x1024@75Hz and DCS handles it properly (no form factor distortions) and the fps increase is notable.

EDIT: forget this comment, I've tried several resolutions and the quality doesn't change, so I suspect DCS always sets resolution to 1920x1080 when launching the simulation with the Rift enabled. The increase in fps was a placebo effect.

Edited by average_pilot

• ED Team

http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2014/11/04/oculus-ceo-says-consumer-rift-vr-headset-close/?utm_source=Twimbow&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheNextWeb+%28The+Next+Web+All+Stories%29

CEO, Brendan Iribe, told the audience at Web Summit 2014 in Dublin, that a consumer-version of the company’s Rift VR headset is “close”. While he understandably declined to offer a timetable for launch, he says the latest version of the headset, Crescent Bay, is “largely finalized for a consumer product.”

But while the headset may be ready, the full consumer package is still a way off. Iribe says: “We’re all hungry for it to happen. We’re getting very close. It’s months, not years away, but many months.”

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hello all,

I just received my DK2 and am struggling to get it up and running with DCS. I have set up a secondary monitor, set DK2 as primary. I can get the game to load into the DK2, but I can never get past the briefing screen. I can only see the top part of the cockpit and can't look down low enough to see the "Ok/Fly" button. Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I've reached acceptable fps and latency, and had my first decent flight in VR, with the Black Shark. I'm a long time 3D gamer: CRT with shutter glasses, emagin z800, passive polarized 3D monitor and 3D projector with shutter glasses. The most convincing was the projector, covering 80º of field of view, and adjusting stereo for correct scale. But NOTHING COMES CLOSE TO THE AUTHENTICITY OF FLYING THAT THE RIFT CONVEYS, EXCEPT REAL FLIGHT.

And it's a development kit with a resolution that doesn't let you read a thing. This must evolve to the point where serious simming can be done because this is the one and only proper way to interface with a simulation.

Hello all,

I just received my DK2 and am struggling to get it up and running with DCS. I have set up a secondary monitor, set DK2 as primary. I can get the game to load into the DK2, but I can never get past the briefing screen. I can only see the top part of the cockpit and can't look down low enough to see the "Ok/Fly" button. Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Have you your dk2 screen orientated correctly. By default mine needed to be rotated in nvidia control panel.

Ensure oculus rift detection is checked in options of dcs world. I also leave my rift as secondary when I launch dcs so it appears on my main desktop. Once I launch a mission I then change the rift to primary before the loading screen appears. This keeps it full screen and enables the mouse for use in cockpit.

Edited by Frusheen
  • Like 1

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Hello all,

Press Pause on the keyboard. And the numpad '5' to reset the view.

Have you your dk2 screen orientated correctly. By default mine needed to be rotated in nvidia control panel.

Ensure oculus rift detection is checked in options of dcs world. I also leave my rift as secondary when I launch dcs so it appears on my main desktop. Once I launch a mission I then change the rift to primary before the loading screen appears. This keeps it full screen and enables the mouse for use in cockpit.

Yes, I've done all of this. It's strange. The splash screen while the sim is loading is at the bottom of the field of view in the DK2. And then when the sim is loaded and the briefing card appears, I can't see the "Fly" buttons, or look down to find them. Head tracking hasn't worked at all.

I've tried this. 'Pause' got the briefing card out of the screen, but no joy on the '5'.

Sounds like a tracking camera issue. Have you tried with the camera disconnected? Is the desk demo working? Did you update the firmware when you got the unit?

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I've reached acceptable fps and latency, and had my first decent flight in VR, with the Black Shark. I'm a long time 3D gamer: CRT with shutter glasses, emagin z800, passive polarized 3D monitor and 3D projector with shutter glasses. The most convincing was the projector, covering 80º of field of view, and adjusting stereo for correct scale. But NOTHING COMES CLOSE TO THE AUTHENTICITY OF FLYING THAT THE RIFT CONVEYS, EXCEPT REAL FLIGHT.

And it's a development kit with a resolution that doesn't let you read a thing. This must evolve to the point where serious simming can be done because this is the one and only proper way to interface with a simulation.

SO TRUE YOU ARE RIGHT

nothing is so real as oculus

Today I took the f-86 for a spin and followed an AI A-10. This is so awesome. It's like being in a footage, but this time I'm the pilot seeing the bottom of the other plane as it turns, and then turning myself to follow it (you know, the typical military aviation clip), looking at it naturally with my head to keep it in sight. It's so easy and intuitive to fly that now I realize the extra strain we've been doing all this time trying to fly correctly in a PC simulator.

Alright, I got it up and running. I needed to use the Bilago service manager. Thank you all for your help. Now I can work on setting up my graphics options for the smoothest experience. Any suggestions?

GTX780

Not too much you can do but setting all to low or disabled by now. Create a mission without clouds nor other vehicles but your aircraft... that should make the smoothest experience.

I wonder if there are any updated performance tutorials around there. I feel like tweaking files here and there to scratch some so much needed fps.

As for the wrong initial camera position, it's fixed running the little application that comes with the Oculus config utility (the desktop with lamp and a castle of cards) and clicking recenter. It looks like that sets the origin of coordinates for all the applications using the Oculus Rift.

One more thing, trying different resolutions on the Oculus Rift, I've discovered that if you select the lowest resolution the desktop is rendered in a way that is viewable with the Rift, meaning that if you launch DCS with the Rift as primary, you can use the Rift with the menus. Not that you can do much more than select a mission to fly, but it's a lot easier and save you from having to change the main display just before starting the simulation.

• Like 1

Tech progress:

Japan Display has invented an 8'' 4K display (578ppi)

By now, it's only a demo product. But it shows the technology goes to the good direction...

(Source - in french: http://www.tomshardware.fr/articles/4k-uhd-tablette,1-54798.html)

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

How do you guys re-center the rift? Poring through a HUD makes my neck sore so I'd like that position to correspond with a more natural position IRL.

Also, is there a way to make the HUD have a little more contrast? Like make the lines darker or something? I found doing BVR on the Su-27 nigh on impossible because reading the HUD quick enough while also controlling the jet is pretty darn hard to me.

The rift is the future of flight simulation imo. Its so much more real. It's such a rush to look out of the cockpit as you bank, climb and dive. Really brings home the power and speed of these machines. <expletive deleted> glorious!

I'm quite sure we'll overcome the resolution-related problems over time. Perhaps having FOV on a slider so we can zoom in with a flick of a thumb?

Edited by schurem

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

I just cannot understand how the rift is any good. The eye strain from text, MFD, HUD makes it just a glorified head tracking unit that does one thing good.

Using most recent sdk, extended desktop, in game setting display set to 5k/? (Highest it will go).

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

I just cannot understand how the rift is any good. The eye strain from text, MFD, HUD makes it just a glorified head tracking unit that does one thing good.

Using most recent sdk, extended desktop, in game setting display set to 5k/? (Highest it will go).

The people that are enjoying aren't using the HUD or other instruments.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

How do you guys re-center the rift? Poring through a HUD makes my neck sore so I'd like that position to correspond with a more natural position IRL.

Also, is there a way to make the HUD have a little more contrast? Like make the lines darker or something? I found doing BVR on the Su-27 nigh on impossible because reading the HUD quick enough while also controlling the jet is pretty darn hard to me.

The rift is the future of flight simulation imo. Its so much more real. It's such a rush to look out of the cockpit as you bank, climb and dive. Really brings home the power and speed of these machines. <expletive deleted> glorious!

I'm quite sure we'll overcome the resolution-related problems over time. Perhaps having FOV on a slider so we can zoom in with a flick of a thumb?

Hi,

Numpad 5 is the default recenter button.

As for the HUD, I am about to try a HUD mod by PeterP that increases the size of the A10 HUD font. I'll let you know how it goes, but lets be honest, it has to be better than the default.

Link here -

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/374967/

Smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

I had problems with eye strain a lot until I spent a little time adjusting the DK2 lens distance with the config utility. Before, I could play for 10 mins max and would end each session with a very odd feeling with my vision.

Now, I can play for as long as I want to and have no visual problems after taking the rift off.

As said though, it's almost impossible to fly with the HUD as it currently is so you need to have a good feeling for where gauges are and normal/abnormal ranges.

I guess the thing that excites me the most with it isn't the sense of immersion it gives me (which I still think is fantastic) but rather the possibilities it demonstrates of where this tech will be in the future. With high enough res screens (maybe CV2 but with luck CV1) we will be able to experience and enjoy our simulations to a degree that we could only dream of before.

Sure, it won't suit everybody. There are many negatives (eye strain, weight, res, gfx demands etc) but I think the positives simply outweigh them.

Smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

I had problems with eye strain a lot until I spent a little time adjusting the DK2 lens distance with the config utility. Before, I could play for 10 mins max and would end each session with a very odd feeling with my vision.

Now, I can play for as long as I want to and have no visual problems after taking the rift off.

As said though, it's almost impossible to fly with the HUD as it currently is so you need to have a good feeling for where gauges are and normal/abnormal ranges.

I guess the thing that excites me the most with it isn't the sense of immersion it gives me (which I still think is fantastic) but rather the possibilities it demonstrates of where this tech will be in the future. With high enough res screens (maybe CV2 but with luck CV1) we will be able to experience and enjoy our simulations to a degree that we could only dream of before.

Sure, it won't suit everybody. There are many negatives (eye strain, weight, res, gfx demands etc) but I think the positives simply outweigh them.

Smirkza

The immersion is immense. the 3D look of the cockpit makes me want to reach out and touch things. Looking back I feel like if I could crawl out of the cockpit I could touch the wing.

I think many have mentioned the look and 'feel' of landing as the ground approaches. Flying around I find myself looking over the side of the pit a lot. I have noticed chipped paint along the edges of some of them just outside the glass I have never seen before otherwise.

Sims are perfect for this tech. You are sitting in a cockpit you can't walk around in, so the limitation that you need to sit in front of the IR tracker is not jarring.

It is currently hard to read the HUD, gauges, etc. but for pure flying, say on Virtual Acrobatics, I'd use it in a heart beat. Fighting would be rather difficult at these resolutions in most aircraft though.

Re: weight, I just look at it as pilots have helmets they wear. Some of them are probably heavier than the rift. Just adds more to the sensation in my book. I'd love to see JHMCS emulated. It would _really_ add to it :)

If CV1 gives a big boost to the resolution and loses the screen door effect we'll be in heaven.

Also, I did the config setup for the distance between eyes, etc. and have noticed no eye strain. I do get some weird sensations when I see myself going up or down or doing a barrel roll and my body of course doesn't move. It's not nausea by any means. Maybe like a mild butterflies in your stomach sensation. That can linger a bit, but other than feeling a bit 'odd' it's no bother. It's not what I'd call unpleasant.

Edited by xaoslaad